jfk69

RE: Michael Vick Accepts Plea Deal.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:22 am

Now that is total BS....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986382

ATLANTA -- An NAACP leader said Michael Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL, preferably the Atlanta Falcons, after serving his sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation.

WHY THE HELL IS THE NAACP INVOLVED?????? This is not a black and white issue. This dumb prick was involved in a dog fighting ring and is pleading guilty to animal cruelty....Not once should Race play a role in any of this. Fuck the NAACP for butting their heads in where it does not belong.

I am not a racist, but I believe the NAACP is.

Mir

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Jfk69 (Reply 50):
Now that is total BS....

That really is total BS.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said R.L. White, president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons, and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."

Yes, Michael Vick's life should not be over, and he should have the chance to make himself a functioning member of society. That does not mean he needs to play pro football again. Playing in the NFL is not a right (though there are, unfortunately, those who believe that it is), it is a privilege. It is a privilege that many long for but can never achieve. And with that privilege comes certain responsibilities - one of them being the responsibility to be a good role model for the thousands of young fans. Michael Vick shirked that responsibility in a big way, and thus it's perfectly acceptable to revoke the privileges of playing in the NFL.

White said the Falcons quarterback is a human being who has made a mistake and should be allowed to prove that he has learned from that mistake.

redflag  This was no mistake. A mistake would be going out to a club, getting drunk, and getting into a fight. A mistake would be getting conned into funding a dogfighting operation once. This wasn't once - it was over a period of years. He knew this was wrong, and did it anyway. The only mistake he made was getting caught.

"Some have said things to save their own necks," White said. "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

Michael Vick did not kill a dog. He killed several dogs. He further funded the killing of other dogs, and an illegal dogfighting business. Believe me, if Michael Vick were running a murder ring, he'd be getting much more bad press than this.

As for Vick coming back to the Falcons, I wouldn't hold my breath. From what I've heard, Falcons owner Arthur Blank goes the distance to make sure that his players are treated well, and he feels personally insulted that Vick would betray his trust the way he did.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LTU932

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:22 am

WHY THE HELL IS THE NAACP INVOLVED?????? This is not a black and white issue.

For them it probably is, and it may not take long until Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton chime in. They may think that a white man could somehow get away with it, but not a black man. The NAACP may make out of Vick the next OJ Simpson, while they're forgetting that it's about a citizen, regardless of skin colour or where he comes from, who broke the law by funding and hosting dogfights, and even killed dogs who didn't perform well. Vick should ask himself this: would he like to be killed the same way he killed all those dogs for not performing the way he should in NFL games?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

767Lover

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 51):
"Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

On the other hand, killing a man can get you positive press these days:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/fa...800&en=3fb8e153a436378a&ei=5087%0A

But I digress. I don't think Blank would welcome Vick back with open arms, but I think our mayor would. She was on the radio this morning talking about how Vick was "taking responsibility for his actions." No, taking responsibility would have been to act geniunely remorseful.

ORFflyer

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:37 pm

I put this in the other thread, but it needs to be here too.

This morning, the news here is reporting the the plea deal for Vick will NOT include any guilty plea for gambling, or killing of dogs. He's hoping those two charges are the ones that the NFL were going to use to ban him. Without being found guilty of those, he thinks the NFL will let him play after his release.

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 53):
She was on the radio this morning talking about how Vick was "taking responsibility for his actions." No, taking responsibility would have been to act geniunely remorseful.

But being remorseful isnt really taking responsibility for your actions. Its more about trying to get off the hook, most likely.

Vick doesn't care, period.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Yellowstone

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 54):
This morning, the news here is reporting the the plea deal for Vick will NOT include any guilty plea for gambling, or killing of dogs.

On the other hand, IIRC, he is pleading guilty to running a gambling operation (a worse offence than gambling under Virginia law) and contributing to the killing of the dogs (basically admitting to everything short of holding the dogs underwater himself).
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

aaflt1871
Topic Author

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:54 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7151408?MSNHPHCP>1=10347

"Michael Vick filed his plea agreement in federal court Friday admitting to conspiracy in a dogfighting ring and helping kill pit bulls. He denied ever betting on the fights, only bankrolling them.

According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging."

He is still a piece of shit and will not take another snap in the N.F.L. Even with the NAACP backing saying he deserves another chance. What team will be dumb enough to sign him?
Where did everybody go?

bhmbaglock

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:28 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 54):
This morning, the news here is reporting the the plea deal for Vick will NOT include any guilty plea for gambling, or killing of dogs.

I think the reported admission in the plea deal of the "rape machine" used to immobilize females that weren't suitably sub-serviant when he wanted them to become pregnant for breeding purposes will end up being adequate to mess up his career for life even without admission of direct involvement in killing or gambling.
Where are all of my respected members going?

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:43 am

Yep! He is suspended indefinately by the NFL!

Just released:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...seahawks/2003851624_webvick24.html

Only he can blame nobody but himself! Good going, Vick!

jm017

Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:23 am

WHY THE HELL IS THE NAACP INVOLVED?????? This is not a black and white issue. This dumb prick was involved in a dog fighting ring and is pleading guilty to animal cruelty....Not once should Race play a role in any of this. Fuck the NAACP for butting their heads in where it does not belong.

I am not a racist, but I believe the NAACP is.

They are not racist. But the NAACP Atlanta rep clearly has missed the boat on this one. You would think the NAACP would argue that he SHOULD face justice, yes? Anyway, that person's comments seem to border on the premise that Vick should not pay for his crimes. It's no wonder Vick was so arrogant during all this. If you have folks (the entire city of Atlanta it seems) clamoring for him to not be punished, what's a wealthy, arrogant athlete supposed to think? That he should take responsibility for his actions? Please.

I guess the Vick family genes tap into the shallow end of the gene pool....
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

fraspotter

Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting FlagshipAZ (Reply 3):
Wait until prison's population gets ahold of his sorry ass.

I have a feeling that Michael Vick could hold his own in prison...

Quoting YOWza (Reply 14):
I highly doubt there will be a very long line-up of inmates wanting to bang him.

I highly doubt that as well but for different reasons. Vick isn't some scrawny child pedophile; he is a professional athlete and arguably the best overall athlete in the NFL (up until now at least Big grin) and nobody is going to try and mess with him. I hope he gets banned for life from the NFL.  crossfingers 
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

ltbewr

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:03 pm

The NFL has placed an 'indefenite suspension' on Michael Vick. This can be reviewed at the end of any federal and state time in jail or other detention. I would suspect there will be considerable pressure on the NFL to reinstate Vick from a variety of groups. More important is how Vick behaves while in detention, has no other law violations and how much contrition he shows as well as the quality and quanity of testimony he gives as part of his plea deal on others in the dog fighting community.

There can be some good to come out of VIck's plea/conviction. Clearly his cruel and illegal dog fighting operations and perhaps others have been shut down, thus saving cruelty to a number of dogs. It has publicized the criminal dog fighting industry and will probably discourage many from continuing in it or attracted to it. Vick's testimony may very well get convictions against those like street gang leaders, drug dealers and other criminals who commit many acts of violence including murder that terrorize many communities that justice has a difficult time trying to get. Vick's situation, along with others like 'Packman' Jones have set a new and much higher standard of behavior for professional athletes if they want to continue in their careers.

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 62):
I would suspect there will be considerable pressure on the NFL to reinstate Vick from a variety of groups.

The NAACP doesn't count. But there rest of the NFL would probably petition to Commissioner Goodell to keep Vick out of the place. I would support that. Im wondering if the majority of the NFL players agree with that.

Times change, and with that change, Commissioner Goodell is spot on!

deltagator

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting JM017 (Reply 60):
. If you have folks (the entire city of Atlanta it seems) clamoring for him to not be punished

Let's be straight about one thing in regards to the folks of ATL. It was a very small, but incredibly vocal and powerful, subset of the city's population that was calling it a witchhunt and playing the race card on this one. I think the majority of the area residents were willing to give Vick his day in court but at the same time weren't completely surprised that he would possibly be involved in such an activity.

As a white resident of the area I was more than willing to give Vick his day in court before condemning him for anything. Of course I had preconceived notions about his guilt based on his past track record and the actions of his brother and his criminal background. I had a feeling the apple doesn't land far from the tree and it appears now that hunch is correct.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AGM100

Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:33 am

OK I just heard his apology .

What do you think,? I have to say besides the Jesus thing he seemed to take full responsibility. He sounded pretty much "real" to me and I do believe he is sorry at this point. ( Not surprising)

I guess I Like what he said , and I hope he does clean up his stuff .. The kids can sure use good examples now more than ever..
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

iflyatldl

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:20 am

It makes me wonder at least, how much of that apology was fed by earpiece.....  Wink
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:23 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 65):
What do you think,? I have to say besides the Jesus thing he seemed to take full responsibility. He sounded pretty much "real" to me and I do believe he is sorry at this point.

I'm not convinced. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.

BN747

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 67):

I'm not convinced. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.

Neither am I...

What do you think,? I have to say besides the Jesus thing he seemed to take full responsibility. He sounded pretty much "real" to me and I do believe he is sorry at this point. ( Not surprising)

I don't believe it for a second, I think he's sorry he got caught and that his low-life friends sold his ass out.

I'm a animal lover but a fan of dogs my wider margin. I've waited and now heard Vick speak his piece ... and personally I have to say I think he should banned from the NFL for life. Just as Pete Rose was from Baseball. Vicks offence was worse given the cruelty towards defenseless animals. The thoughts that run through my mind that this guy is on the field playing - when he had just killed an dog or two hours earlier or will later that day- while a stadium full of people cheer him on is simply appalling.

The FALCONS are leaving the door open on him....they and the NFL need to close it..no slam it shut! Because if there are someone high profile athletes/performers out there--and there are -- they are watching this and are measuring their damage of 'if they get caught' worse case scenario.

Vick needs the rest of his young life to think about just what he jeopardized-

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

deltagator

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 68):
The FALCONS are leaving the door open on him....

Word around town is that he is gone never to return. The Falcons have offered to replace anyone's season tickets that have his likeness on them. They are also in the process of getting rid of ever single picture or reference to him in any of their publicity or literature. They want to distance themselves from him as much as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if some other players on the team get taken out as collateral damage due to their closeness to him even though they had nothing to do with the dogfighting.

they and the NFL need to close it..no slam it shut!

I think he'll return. Not to the Falcons but someone will pick him up later on if he is reinstated. He'll never be back as a QB because he was never that good to begin with there. He'll return as some sort of flanker or split end.

I don't believe it for a second, I think he's sorry he got caught and that his low-life friends sold his ass out.

I honestly think the same thing. The attitude that his younger brother showed when he got kicked off the VaTech team and then his stupid exploits after that and then in the NFL just make me wonder how much of a silver spoon the Vick boys think they have in their mouth.

After reading through the plea agreement it appears that in lieu of more RICO Act charges against him and lengthy prison time the Federales own his ass and will be squeezing as much info out of him on those same people that got him into the mix.

Well he'll probably get a year of "Pound Me in the Ass" prison for beginners.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

BN747

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 69):

Well he'll probably get a year of "Pound Me in the Ass" prison for beginners.

He's going to Federal Jail as the charges are Fed..I beleive. And in that country club layout..unfortunately,, he'll be top dog (no pun intended). Even if he went to street-thug incarceration.. the way that works -- he'd end up running the joint...having guards bring him everything from 420 to chicks. Unfortunately, celebrity just reels 'em in no matter what. And regardless of where he goes, given his mindset..he won't learn a goddamn thing..that's how thick his skull is.

If he were TRULY, and mean that to that letter...TRULY SORRY, today after his face time..his attorney would have immediately announce that Vick plans to donate 10-20 million bucks to PETA or the National SPCA... AND he himself plans to work in the off season with either/both organizations for a very lengthy period of time. Now if they announce that tomorrow. next week or next month - it'll be contrive and offensively thinly veiled attempt to re-invent his crash-and-burn career...which will be all the more insulting. Like I said...if he were truly sorry when he spoke today, the above suggestions would have been made and they might have been 'genuine'...which they weren't, therefore..NEITHER is his apology, nor his FEIGNED remorse--

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

deltagator

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 70):
He's going to Federal Jail as the charges are Fed..I beleive. And in that country club layout..unfortunately

It is Federal prison but even that isn't exactly tea and crumpets though I see your point.

What will be interesting to see is if Virginia brings charges against him for cruelty to animals and killing the dogs. I don't believe there is a Federal law against those (nor should there be so the states can decide the punishment) so he's still free game for the state and I suppose even Surry County to go after him.

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 70):
Like I said...if he were truly sorry when he spoke today, the above suggestions would have been made and they might have been 'genuine'...which they weren't, therefore..NEITHER is his apology, nor his FEIGNED remorse--

Oh, trust me...he wasn't genuine. If you watch the video and pay close, very close attention to his facial expressions, he isnt even remorseful at all. Its a pre-prepared statement in advance for him to read, written by his lawyer. Obviously, he failed at even showing one shred of remorse by his facial expression.

Like I said earlier: he doesn't care!

Nor will he! I'm not surprised nor convinced!

Skyway1

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 40):
If they came down on hard "Pacman" and the other guy (I forgot his name..), then they will come down hard on Vick. Therefore, his career is over. Pretty much.... I hope they ban Vick for life.

I'm sure you're referring to Chris Henry. He has played in the preseason and is suspended for 8 games. Fellow Bengal Odell Thurman was suspended all last year and was denied reinstatement this year by Commissioner Goodell.

I don't understand these guys....they make millions of $$$$ playing stinking football and can't stay out of trouble. The latest is Briggs of the Chicago Bears. He crashed his brand new Lamborghini in Chicago last night and abandoned the scene. Of course it was in the middle of the night too...
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

BN747

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 73):
I don't understand these guys....they make millions of $$$$ playing stinking football and can't stay out of trouble. The latest is Briggs of the Chicago Bears. He crashed his brand new Lamborghini in Chicago last night and abandoned the scene. Of course it was in the middle of the night too...

Actually.. it's not that difficult to understand at all. Guys like Vick are all throughout the NFL, NBA, MLB and every other major sport. First off they come from some not-so-great environs, once noticed there as they excel in High School. they are marked and targeted -- and they know it. Just like the kid who 'shows off' when Uncle Joe and Mary stop in for a visit..except in this limelight it really goes to the brain. It then continues to college - THEY are fully aware that without their exceptional skills -- there's no chance in hell they'd be at ________ University. But any kid who get's a scholarship knows he's 'special' apart from the others. But in the sporting arena...it's a whole kind of special! And along the way, the scouts have seen enough of their behavioral patterns to realize that 'special input' is needed to ward off disaster further down the line... why? Because, anyone, white, black, indian, latino, asian..doesn't matter--who has never had a shitload of money before isn't going know how to adjust into a whole new life style..EVERYONE I just mentioned that falls into that category..always think they can handle it. Just like a kid thinks he handle a car because he's been watching his dad/mom drive--until he's suddenly behind the wheel.

The probably with those like Vick, those before him and those to come after him is that along with that prestige and wealth..comes a rainstorm of hands pleading and begging..you don't know who to listen to -- and in Vick's case..he did not choose wisely. He listed to the same crew of meatheads who've been nothing but morons all their lives--and Vicks handlers (advisors and attorneys) failed to ease their way into his confidence and slowly steer him away from thuglife and into the 'right life'. They took their money..but it's questionable if they earned it. Handlers like that exist in show business as well. The best case I can think of where handlers were negligent (not legally speaking) was Oprah. When Oprah made the disaster of a film 'Beloved'... no one behind here had the balls to tell her (in post production OR during principal) that it sucked and the her loyal fan-base..."Is not going to get it'. Everyone kept quiet and got paid and no one said a word. And disaster struck..Oprah is probably still reeling from that burn. In Vick's case, I'm willing to bet he was warned on many occassions -- but mostly like growled at every detractor to 'back off...I'm in charge..and I know what I'm doing".. well he sure did..look what where it landed him...

I'm in no way dismissing his behavior and placing it on others, because in the end, even he no matter where he comes from knows 'right from wrong'..and by now with his tenure in the NFL..he really knew 'the two did not jive and were not conducive' at all .. no matter how you look at it. He long passed the 1st/2nd year period of innocence and 'poor judgement' in the NFL. At this stage he fully knew the score-

We are all ultimately responsible for our actions, but people placed (pursued or not) in high profile situations do need assistance to stay there, few can do it alone.

BN747

ORFflyer

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 71):
What will be interesting to see is if Virginia brings charges against him for cruelty to animals and killing the dogs. I don't believe there is a Federal law against those (nor should there be so the states can decide the punishment) so he's still free game for the state and I suppose even Surry County to go after him.

checkmark 

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 34):
Even after all of this federal part is over, the state now says they are going to indict him. It will be a harder conviction at the state level, but I think it's valid, and will stick. Strangely enough, the penalties at the state level are much harsher than the federal level, and may not even be imposed until he gets out of federal prison on this pea deal we're discussing.Vick's troubles are just beginning.......

I haven't heard much since the state first made their announcement, but I hope they do indict & prosecute him.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 72):
he isnt even remorseful at all. Its a pre-prepared statement in advance for him to read

checkmark 

iflyatldl

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:14 pm

Well, he's cancelled his radio interview that was supposed to be on an ATL station from RIC this AM. Hmmm.....

kmh1956

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:23 pm

OK I just heard his apology .

I guess I Like what he said , and I hope he does clean up his stuff .. The kids can sure use good examples now more than ever..

I made the comment to someone yesterday morning that I wondered how long he'd be in prison before he "found Jesus." Imagine my surprise when I heard that he already has!! I thought his whole 'apology' sounded contrived and extremely insincere. I figure he's full of remorse now because he got caught, not because of the unimaginable cruelty he inflicted on those poor animals.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AGM100

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:19 pm

I guess I was happy that he did not try to equate his charges to hunting or other sports involving animal killing. Their have been some of his piers that have , and and have tried to down play it. The NAACP had some statement last week about how it was all a plan by the man type of thing.

I agree that he is sorry that he got caught for sure , but at least he did say it was his responsibility and know one else.

Personally I never did like the guy that much , he tried to do to much by himself and did not seem like a good team player. Football is a team sport , and huge egos are ruining the game I grew up with . But he did appear humbled to me .

If I were the judge I would have him make a RAP album. A RAP album with some kind of positive message and apologize on thier. All proceeds should go to charity , and he should have to go to every innercity boys and girls club and apologies and talk to the kids. Sitting in prison will not fix this guy , he needs to see how he can be a positive influence.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

mt99

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:25 pm

On the upside.. this "tragedy" made him find Jesus and God in record time.
Step into my office, baby

jfk69

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting JM017 (Reply 60):
They are not racist. But the NAACP Atlanta rep clearly has missed the boat on this one. You would think the NAACP would argue that he SHOULD face justice, yes? Anyway, that person's comments seem to border on the premise that Vick should not pay for his crimes. It's no wonder Vick was so arrogant during all this. If you have folks (the entire city of Atlanta it seems) clamoring for him to not be punished, what's a wealthy, arrogant athlete supposed to think? That he should take responsibility for his actions? Please.

I guess the Vick family genes tap into the shallow end of the gene pool....

My issue was with the NAACP even saying anything. He is not standing trial because of his color. He is standing rial because he committed a crime. If PETA were to get up and say something no one would have blinked an eye, but why is the NAACP butting their heads into this.

iflyatldl

Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Has anyone noticed that ol Brother Jesse has been very quiet during this whole debacle?  Silly  smirk