Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AGM100
Topic Author

Hunting Dogs & Training Questions ..

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:26 pm

OK I am considering getting a Labrador retriever and training it to be my hunting partner. My brother currently has a female lab who hunts with us and she does a pretty good job of finding and flushing birds but does not retrieve. I would like to get one of my own but actually train it to retrieve the birds when I down them.

I guess I should add that we are hunting ducks and quail , so the dog should be able to do both land and water retrieving

Any experiences with doing this ? Is a Labrador my best choice or is their another breed possibly ?
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

EMBQA

RE: Hunting Dogs & Training Questions ..

Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:16 pm

My Parents had German Shorthaird Pointers and dad did a little of both. Great dogs... love to hunt and very protective of their owners..... also BIG babies (in a good way) Love to cuddle up and be around you. VERY family friendly. Also...BIG-BIG key... when it comes time.. no matter what you choose to get DO NOT buy a dog from a news paper. DO NOT buy a dog from a 'good old boy' breeder. Contact the AKC through their web site. It will list local dog clubs for the breed you want. Contact the club and they will be happy to help you find a good breeder. The club want to promote breed and its standards. You'll even find guys that do Field work and be happy to help you train...and you might even find a hunting buddy. Trust me on this one. If you get a good healthy... well bred do he/she will live a long health active life. If you get the wrong dog it opens up a huge can of worms for all kinds of issues.

[Edited 2008-01-09 14:43:15]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
German Shorthaird Pointers

Wow they certainly are impressive looking animals . Thanks for advice I will definately check it EMBQA.

cfalk

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:00 pm

Labs are too hyper for my taste. Expect breakage. Golden Retrievers are just about the sweetest dogs in the world, are very competant hunting dogs, and are great with kids (don't know if that's an issue for you). I've had two of them.

But whatever retriever you get, don't just depend on their natural retrieving insticts - train him. Without training, he will flush before you are ready, or jump out of your duck blind while the ducks are still out of range, and worst of all simply play (or eat) the birds and not bring them to you. Training also allows you point him from a distance. But they generally enjoy the training itself and just a few sessions will make a big difference.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

LON-CHI

Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
German Shorthaird Pointers

GSP's are great hunting dogs but with their short hair & lack of an undercoat, they may not be the best for duck hunting. Like most pointers, they are natural swimmers & retrievers, but get them wet in a cool/cold climate and they'll get cold quickly and become ineffective. This isn't much of a problem with the Wirehaired pointers, though.

EMBQA

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 2):

Yup.... My Parents were very active in breeding, showing, field trial work...and Dad hunted. One of our dogs.....Spencer was the 1995 National GSP Show Champion. He was no woosie dog.... he loved to hunt and loved to show....and as I talked about good breeding. He's still enjoying he's retirement with with Mom. She says he still stays active with no health or joint issues...but naps a lot now.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Yellowstone

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:29 pm

My family owns a Labrador Retriever, although he isn't a hunting dog. If you get a Lab as a field dog, keep in mind that there are two different variants, show Labs ("English") and field Labs ("American"). The latter tend to have lighter build and more energy. It's kind of funny - when my dog, a field Lab, was younger, some people would ask us if he was a Weimaraner (sp.?).

An English/show lab

My dog, an American/field lab
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

AGM100
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 6):
Labs ("English") and field Labs ("American").

Thanks Yellowstone , I did not realize until recently that their was a difference . My plans right now are to purchase the American Field version and train it. In Arizona I would assume because of the heat , a smaller "lighter" may do may be better.

I love the color of yours , I will try to get the chocolate coat for sure. He looks great , thanks

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
but naps a lot now.

Hell not a bad idea !
 Big grin