Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACB777
Topic Author

Living In Houston/Dallas

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 am

After I graduate, I want to live in Houston or Dallas because of the cheaper cost of housing (relative to most Canadian cities).

I'm unfamiliar with these cities. I want to live in a big house that I can buy for a cheap price. In the DFW area, is Plano good? Or Keller near Fort Worth? Both seem to have a lot of nice, big houses. However, many say that these suburbs are boring. What do people in Dallas do in their spare time (e.g., on weekends). Does a lot happen around the city?

I'm also considering Houston area. I heard it costs less than DFW. Sugar Land seems like a nice area. Is Houston worse than Dallas though? Is the humidity worse, more insects, etc?

Any comments about these two cities (e.g., about housing, good areas to live, advantages/disadvantages, etc)?

md90fan

RE: Living In Houston/Dallas

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:58 pm

If you can stand heat, humidity, mosquitoes, flying cockroaches, tornadoes and hurricanes then by all means go for it  Wink
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

KL773ER

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:19 pm

I also have been thinking about getting away from expensive as hell NYC and moving out there (preferably Houston)... I've been through a hurricane (NC-"Floyd" in '99) and tornadoes in Indiana so they won't be a bother. I hate mosquitos but I'll deal with it. Although I hear that there are some great airports out there ... (DFW & IAH).

-KL

102IAHexpress

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting ACB777 (Thread starter):
Any comments about these two cities (e.g., about housing, good areas to live, advantages/disadvantages, etc)?

All your answers can be found here.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/index.php

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 1):
If you can stand heat, humidity

The forecast high this week will be 73°  Cool

aloha73g

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm

My uncle moved to Dallas from Hawai'i in 1980 and never looked back. He loves it there......but being one of the most senior Mechanics at Southwest Airlines helps!! I've visited him a few times and I found it to be enjoyable. The weather isn't too crazy, lots of big, cheap houses (compared to Hawai'i).

He has lived in North Dallas and Irving, but now lives in Colleyville. He likes Colleyville because it is one of the few "towns" in the DFW metroplex that allows only single family homes.....no apartments/townhomes/duplexes. Lots of stores and professional sports teams in football, basketball, baseball and hockey. Sounds tolerable to me!!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

aa61hvy

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:41 pm

Plano good? Or Keller near Fort Worth? Both seem to have a lot of nice, big houses. However, many say that these suburbs are boring. What do people in Dallas do in their spare time (e.g., on weekends). Does a lot happen around the city?

I lived in Plano for 20 years, my mother still lives there. Great safe suburban area. It's quiet around there, but a trip down the Tollway to either Addison or Uptown and you will have all sorts of things to do. I plan to move back to Plano or North Texas in the next 5-10 years.
Go big or go home

A332

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 am

What do people in Dallas do in their spare time (e.g., on weekends).

A number of people head to the AAC to cheer on the greatest NHL team in existence... the Dallas Stars.

I've wanted to move there just to have that opportunity... well, that and the cheap houses!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

MDorBust

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 am

However, many say that these suburbs are boring. What do people in Dallas do in their spare time (e.g., on weekends). Does a lot happen around the city?

Geesh, who ever you were talking to must be a pretty boring person if they couldn't find anything to do.

We have all of the major sports teams here. Performing acts of the intellectually apreciated sort in both downtown Dallas and Ft. Worth (D/FW) really is one giant city now. Racing of the horse, car and dog type. Several very active clubbing areas. Great local bands. Plenty of lakes to hang out at during the summer (when the water is high enough). Semi-professional and recreational level sports of every sort I can imagine. Harry Hines blvd for people looking for more... adult entertainment... heck, if you want to do it, there's somewhere in D/FW

Only catch, the city is very spread out. Nothing is in walking distance and the public transportation is horrible. A car is a must.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

DfwRevolution

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 am

I'm unfamiliar with these cities. I want to live in a big house that I can buy for a cheap price. In the DFW area, is Plano good?

I also lived in Plano for twenty years. The cost of living is reasonable but not necessarily the absolute cheapest in the metroplex. It's a very clean, low crime city with great schools, services, etc. It's also boring as hell. It's a suburban residential town and really doesn't offer much for the 18-30 crowd if you ask me.

I think MDorBust said it best. You can find just about everything in DFW, it's just a question of how far you want to drive to do it. If you don't mind that part, then living in the clean quiet part of town could be what you want.

Is the humidity worse, more insects, etc?

Yes and yes. Dallas is more humid than I'd like in the summer, but good god I don't understand how people do Houston. Some of the neighborhoods look really nice, but you can find a comparable areas in any city without the feeling that you're in one giant armpit.  Wink
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.