Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aer lingus
Topic Author

In Car Entertainment (Video)

Sun May 24, 2009 12:34 pm

I have an 8 inch LCD Monitor lying around the house for over a year and I don't know what to do with it. It has a TV tuner built in but the reception is very crap. At the moment I'm thinking of using it for as In Car Entertainment system. The only thing I need now is some kind of a media player that can hook up with the LCD Screen. Blue Ray, DVD, VCD are out of the way because I don't like them. At the moment I am looking at a Iomega ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive, it comes in with 500GB and 1TB and it can be used as a storage device. When I went into the manufacturer's website to check the specification of the media player to see if the input power rating is compatible with the power system in the car. The input power is 12Vdc +/- 5% so it doesn't seem to be a problem hooking it into the 12V car power supply.
When I came across a warning in the specifications page 'CAUTION! The ScreenPlay is not intended for in-car entertainment use. Unstable power or vibration may damage the ScreenPlay hard drive.'
So should I go ahead installing this onboard?
If so is there anything extra that I should be aware of?
Should I install something to regulate the car power supply? if so, what should I need?
I'm sure a lot of a.netters has something similar to this kind of In Car Entertainment System.
If so, what do you have installed in your car?

Any photos and advice is appreciated

Thanks

bigthumbsup 
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

GuitrThree

RE: In Car Entertainment (Video)

Sun May 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Quoting Aer Lingus (Thread starter):
'CAUTION! The ScreenPlay is not intended for in-car entertainment use. Unstable power or vibration may damage the ScreenPlay hard drive.'

well, even if you can (and you can) fix the unstable power problem, you will NEVER be able to fix the vibration issue. That device is not made for such an environment and if you hit a bump at the wrong time while the HD is being accessed, chances are you will damage the device.
Installing a device made for car use is much more advisable. If you can't find such a thing that you like or in your price range, then try something with a flash drive/memory card.

One other thing, make sure the 8" monitor you are going to install can take the temperatures of the car environment. Cars parked in summer tend to his 150+ degrees. Cars parked in the winter get down, well, pretty cold depending upon where you live. And since you are talking LCD, you know, LIQUID crystal displays, these might freeze resulting in damage to the screen.
Monitors specifically built for mobile use are built to withstand such temperatures.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

aer lingus
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2009 11:49 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 1):

The vibrating issue I think I might have a cheap solution to it, the media player will not be fixed into the car but placed inside a block of sponge to keep vibrations to a minimum, I think it can absorb normal vibrations but I'm not sure if it does the job. But I am concerned about going into bumps, the block of sponge might not be able to absorb the impact of a bump.
The LCD monitor is made for car use so its ok.
Would you know any device that plays video with memory cards that have a AV video output?

Thanks

bigthumbsup 

kiwiandrew

Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 am

I just want to clarify something - this is for your passengers , right ? You dont seriously intend to watch the screen while attempting to drive , please tell me that is not your intention .

aer lingus
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 3):
I just want to clarify something - this is for your passengers , right ? You dont seriously intend to watch the screen while attempting to drive , please tell me that is not your intention .

This is for the rear pax. The screen will be somewhere in the middle between the front seats. I have thinked of installing the screen on the overhead but I don't like to drill on the upholstery.

bigthumbsup