Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Bongodog1964

RE: Most Disliked/Hated Sports Team/Athletes

Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 149):
Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 138):
Soccer just isn't fast-paced enough and doesn't have enough scoring to keep my interest.

It is kind of interesting how you have this huge goal to shoot at but frequently end up with 0-0 or 0-1 score lines.

IMO it due to the rules being fairly even handed between offence and defence, unlike say basketball where the defence have few lawful ways of stopping an attack.

GrahamHill

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 149):
It is kind of interesting how you have this huge goal to shoot at but frequently end up with 0-0 or 0-1 score lines.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 150):
IMO it due to the rules being fairly even handed between offence and defence, unlike say basketball where the defence have few lawful ways of stopping an attack.

Maybe it's also due to the fact that playing with feet is not as accurate as playing with hands.

Just my  twocents 
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Revelation

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:17 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 151):
Maybe it's also due to the fact that playing with feet is not as accurate as playing with hands.

Good point. Maybe everyone should play wearing blindfolds - that'd be a really challenging sport!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 152):
Good point. Maybe everyone should play wearing blindfolds - that'd be a really challenging sport!

The refs already do this when it comes to officiating.  wink   duck 

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 151):

I think it has less to do with accuracy and more to do with the fact that it's much more difficult to run fast and dribble a soccer ball than it is to handle say basketball, lacrosse ball, or even a hockey puck. Being forced to move much slower when traveling with the ball in soccer allows the defense to easily catch up and reposition. The ball also does not travel as fast when it is kicked at the goal, as compared to a hockey puck or lacrosse ball, which have been known to reach speeds of 90 to 100 mph (or more in lacrosse) when shot by top players. The goalies have far less reaction time in lacrosse and hockey then in soccer, which makes the saves all that much more impressive, and the puck or lacrosse ball is harder to catch and control on the first shot, resulting in rebounds, and thus more scoring opportunities on the same play.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

GrahamHill

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 153):
The refs already do this when it comes to officiating.

That's sometimes true. The problem also comes from the number of refs on the pitch: one on the field, two on each side and who are not allowed to go further than the center line...

I would be very much in favour of having another 1 or 2 refs on the field.

I think it has less to do with accuracy and more to do with the fact that it's much more difficult to run fast and dribble a soccer ball than it is to handle say basketball, lacrosse ball, or even a hockey puck. Being forced to move much slower when traveling with the ball in soccer allows the defense to easily catch up and reposition. The ball also does not travel as fast when it is kicked at the goal, as compared to a hockey puck or lacrosse ball, which have been known to reach speeds of 90 to 100 mph (or more in lacrosse) when shot by top players. The goalies have far less reaction time in lacrosse and hockey then in soccer, which makes the saves all that much more impressive, and the puck or lacrosse ball is harder to catch and control on the first shot, resulting in rebounds, and thus more scoring opportunities on the same play.

That is a good analysis  Smile

Anyway, I think we're slightly going off topic here... Apologies to the author of the thread and to moderators.

ER757

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 142):
I think Seattle fans will always have a legitimate gripe against the refs for potentially costing them that game, but I think to call the Steelers "cheaters" and accuse them of "stealing" the Super Bowl without proof that they were connected to the poor officiating is a stretch.

checkmark  I think the Hawks definitely got screwed by some terrible calls, but to say that the Steelers were "cheaters" is to infer that they somehow had some complicity in how the game was officiated. I don't think the refs threw the game, I don't think the fix was in, I think they just plain blew a few calls. Yes, they were critical calls (the bogus offensive pass interference that cost Seattle it's 1st TD, the phantom TD by Big Ben and the non-holding by Hasselbeck) and pretty much cost the Seahawks the title, but what was Pittsburgh supposed to do, go to the refs and say, "excuse me, but you missed that call. We'll be more than happy if you'd overturn it?"

steeler83

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 142):
As someone who watched that game from a neutral standpoint after both my teams (Giants and Bengals) were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs that year, I will tell you that the officiating in Super Bowl XL was poor. Poor enough to cost the Seahawks the title though? That's up for debate and can never be "proven". As Steeler83 points out, Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown on 3rd down was questionable, but one can never proved whether the Steelers would have been stopped on 4th down or not on the following play. I think Seattle fans will always have a legitimate gripe against the refs for potentially costing them that game, but I think to call the Steelers "cheaters" and accuse them of "stealing" the Super Bowl without proof that they were connected to the poor officiating is a stretch.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 155):
I think the Hawks definitely got screwed by some terrible calls, but to say that the Steelers were "cheaters" is to infer that they somehow had some complicity in how the game was officiated. I don't think the refs threw the game, I don't think the fix was in, I think they just plain blew a few calls. Yes, they were critical calls (the bogus offensive pass interference that cost Seattle it's 1st TD, the phantom TD by Big Ben and the non-holding by Hasselbeck) and pretty much cost the Seahawks the title, but what was Pittsburgh supposed to do, go to the refs and say, "excuse me, but you missed that call. We'll be more than happy if you'd overturn it?"

I like both of these posts. Thanks for backing me up! If one was to say that they have proof that the Steelers were part of the "fix" I would have to say that perhaps one of the refs got a big payoff from a member of the Steelers' staff.

Also, another thing to note about that Phantom Big Ben TD... The rulebook says that it only takes one molecule of pig skin to cross/touch the goal line in order for it to count. In the replay of that, it did look like for perhaps a split second that the ball crossed the plain of the endzone, but it looked like there was no indisputable evidence to make such a ruling. What you had was an initial call for another down by the ref, and then as he was running out onto the field, he raised his other arm to signal a TD... Bill Hilgrove seemed a bit shocked IMO that Ben was granted the TD.

"Big Ben rushes... and it looks like he's going to be stopped short -- NO IT'S A TD!" [Of course, he was happy it was ruled a TD and upheld. What Steelers fan wouldn't have been?  Wink]

So, had that initially been ruled a broken play, I'd bet that the call would have stood, and it would have been 4th down...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 156):
Thanks for backing me up!

I don't think Flydeltajets87 was actually backing you up, nor backing me up. He was neutral observant.

The rulebook says that it only takes one molecule of pig skin to cross/touch the goal line in order for it to count.

IMO, that rule is stupid.

What you had was an initial call for another down by the ref, and then as he was running out onto the field, he raised his other arm to signal a TD... Bill Hilgrove seemed a bit shocked IMO that Ben was granted the TD.

The officials were not even on the same page throughout the game. That was NOT a touchdown. And who is Bill Hilgrove? Are you referring to Bill Cowher or Mike Hargrove?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

steeler83

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:08 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 157):
And who is Bill Hilgrove?

Sorry, he was one of the radio announcers for the Steelers... I have the 2005 season DVD and it had his commentary on some of the plays. He didn't think he was in.

Ok, and to tell you the truth, I didn't think they were going to rule him in either... I declare that part settled...

I don't think Flydeltajets87 was actually backing you up, nor backing me up. He was neutral observant.

banghead  Right...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

USPIT10L

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 am

Bill Hilgrove seemed a bit shocked IMO that Ben was granted the TD.

Hillgrove seems shocked about everything, but that's nothing new. If you're listening on radio, you need Tunch or Wolfley to tell you anything constructive, Hillgrove never gets an initial call right.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

steeler83

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:00 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 159):
Hillgrove seems shocked about everything, but that's nothing new. If you're listening on radio, you need Tunch or Wolfley to tell you anything constructive, Hillgrove never gets an initial call right.

Oh yeah... especially like when he thought James Harrison was tackled at about the 50 during his historic interception return for a TD in Super Bowl XLIII.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:48 am

Quoting Us330 (Reply 147):
Yes, while Texas has a pop of 24 million, the DFW metro area has a population of 6.3 million (do you really think fans in El Paso are going to fly into Dallas to watch a hockey game?), which is comparable to Atlanta's 5.3 million.
Comparing the two is quite fair, considering that Dallas and Atlanta are frequently used as comparable metro areas.
Hockey in Atlanta will succeed--it's just a matter of time.

No but the point I was trying to make was draw a circle from Dallas and see how far you have to go before you run into another NHL team, and consider the population that circle encompasses, and then do the same for Atlanta. Just because people in El Paso won't fly to Dallas to watch a game on a regular basis doesnt mean they won't watch the games on tv or buy merchandise, but I bet a lot of people in Houston (the 4th largest city in the US and currently with no NHL team), Austin, San Antonio, etc. and even up in Oklahoma and maybe even Arkansas and Louisiana are Stars fans.

I was saying you're both right. AirframeAS, in that the officiating was subpar and that Seahawk fans do have a legitimate gripe about that, but also, that Steeler83 is right in that you cannot prove that the calls cost the Seahawks the title. And I stand still with my own point that one cannot prove that Steelers were "cheaters" and that they "stole" the title, since there has been no evidence of foul play produced between the Steelers and the refs to show they bought the refs that night.

The rulebook says that it only takes one molecule of pig skin to cross/touch the goal line in order for it to count.

IMO, that rule is stupid.

It may be, but the rule is the rule there, and what the refs have to go by. Do you think the rule should be that the whole ball has to break the plane?

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 159):

Sterling can be that way too with the Yankees. He'll get excited about a ball hit and will be like "That's hit deep to center! Back, Back, Back. Caught 40 feet short of the warning track".

USPIT10L

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:56 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 161):
Sterling can be that way too with the Yankees. He'll get excited about a ball hit and will be like "That's hit deep to center! Back, Back, Back. Caught 40 feet short of the warning track".

The only problem is Sterling thinks he's God's gift of baseball announcers and acts that way. Hillgrove just can't call the action as it happens.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

PIA777

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 am

Teams:
Baseball - St. Louis Cardinals/ New York Yankees/Boston Red Sox
Football - Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys
Hockey - Detroit Red Wings
Basketball - Detroit Pistons/New York Knicks

Athletes:
Baseball - Arod
Football - Brett Favre
Hockey - Anyone on Redwings
Basketball - Kobe Bryant

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

ferengi80

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:46 am

Soccer: I absolutely detest Manchester United with a passion! They are the most arrogant, self centred bunch of arses I know! I hate Wayne Rooney, think the guy is a pathetic moron who needs to control his temper (a good spell in borstal would do him the world of good!).

Rugby League: I hate Wigan Warriors. As a passionate St Helens fan, it is practically law that you hate Wigan!

NHL: Sean Avery (obviously) and Sidney Crosby (there is something about him that really gets on my nerves). Don't really particularly hate any team in the NHL, but am a huge Oilers fan.

UK Ice Hockey: Gerad Adams, Brad Voth, Scott Basiuk (TRAITOR!!!), pretty much all the Nottingham Panthers especially their owner Neil Black (We told you the six team league wouldn't work!!!!)
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 161):
Do you think the rule should be that the whole ball has to break the plane?

No. The rule should be both the ball and the player must be fully inside the endzone to earn the touchdown, similar to what the NCAA and High School football has.

TheCol

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:20 am

The entire CFL

NHL:

Toronto - Might as well pack it in.
Calgary - Just a bunch punks that try to act like thugs, simply because they have nothing else going for them. That became obvious to the entire league when they hired "Iron Mike".
Florida - The NHL's farm team.
Detroit - The only team I've seen fans jeer at on home ice.

Jarome Iginla - Well known for talking shit, getting his ass kicked, and bitching about it later.
Todd Bertuzzi - Vancouver will always have a special place for him on the wall of shame.
Patrick Kane - Another Todd Bertuzzi in the making
Alain Vigneault - A stupid coach, and a weak leader. Time to send him back to the minors.
Matt Sundin - A waste of time and money.
Mike Keenan - The mighty dictator that can't seem to get it together.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

na

Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Teams I dislike:
-F1: Williams
-Football (soccer): Schalke 04, VfL Bochum, Real Madrid, Chelsea, and I love it if record champion Bayern Munich has a bad season.

Disliked stars:
-F1: Montoya, Jaques Villeneuve
-Football: David Beckham
Boxing: almost everyone of the active ones with the exception of the Klitschko brothers

Disliked sports:
-American Football, first why is it called football when its just a a massive riot where the players carry the ball (which is not a ball really) in their hands?
-Boxing: the only sport where the aim is to injure your opponent.

Qantasistheway

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 134):
As for soccer, that one goal that is scored is usually from a lucky shot from half court, that goes by a goalie caught sleeping out of boredom.

Firstly it's a pitch not a court and secondly that happens rarely and is usually because the keeper is running back from a last second attacking move off a corner or free kick.

Not quite, you may not be able to run as fast as a basketball player but if you can actually play you would know that you can dribble up to full sprint however the fact that there are 21 others on the pitch often means that you don't get the chance to. Also, the ball does move very fast when struck properly just the fact that shot distances are usually a little bit further may make it seem slower. And rebounds are causes for so many goals in football because believe it or not the ball is moving to fast for the keeper to control it.

I think a much larger percent of the world population would agree that football is a much more entertaining sport. After all is its the world game!

GrahamHill

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 167):
-American Football, first why is it called football when its just a a massive riot where the players carry the ball (which is not a ball really) in their hands?

I always asked myself the same question  Wink

speedygonzales

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 148):
Quoting SpeedyGonzales (Reply 133):
Until the UK stops pretending to be four countries in football, I wish every british team 22 broken legs and 11 red cards in international tournaments.

You quite obviously need to to spend a bit of time in the UK to realise the folly of that statement. To many Scots, Welsh and Irish it's a case of 4 nations pretending to be one nation politically.

That's their problem, not everybody elses. If UK if four countries, then Germany is 16 and USA 50. No other countries comprised of several nationalities has ever got the unfair special treatment that UK has.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

na

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Quoting SpeedyGonzales (Reply 170):

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 148):
Until the UK stops pretending to be four countries in football, I wish every british team 22 broken legs and 11 red cards in international tournaments.

You quite obviously need to to spend a bit of time in the UK to realise the folly of that statement. To many Scots, Welsh and Irish it's a case of 4 nations pretending to be one nation politically.

That's their problem, not everybody elses. If UK if four countries, then Germany is 16 and USA 50. No other countries comprised of several nationalities has ever got the unfair special treatment that UK has.

While the 4 country treatment for the UK is stupid (though its an old tradition I guess dating back from the times of Queen Victoria when the UK was what the US is now, and more) its actually negative for the UK as a whole as its best players dont play in one team. If the UK would have one team, I guess it would do better in the important championships.

fruitbat

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 167):
American Football, first why is it called football when its just a a massive riot where the players carry the ball (which is not a ball really) in their hands?

American Football isn't a riot, the players wear pads and helmets for protection!!! Now, a decent game of Rugby Union, THATS a riot....eye gouging, stamping, punching, kicking, the lot - and that's just the off the ball (sorry, bladder, it's oval) stuff!!! See the recent Lions vs South Africa tour for some great examples, or watch an English Premiership rugby match that's a local derby, or a European Cup game, or.... you get the idea, it's great stuff and to be recommended to all.  Smile

Look, we invented the game and we'll do what we damn well please. So there. Ha! Big grin

Quoting NA (Reply 171):
its actually negative for the UK as a whole as its best players dont play in one team. If the UK would have one team, I guess it would do better in the important championships.

It'd still be at least 90% English  duck  and so still fail to live up the the hype.....  sigh 
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Bongodog1964

Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Quoting NA (Reply 167):
-Boxing: the only sport where the aim is to injure your opponent.

Ever seen a veteran Rugby Union player ? Face like a bag of spanners, nose pointing in three directions at the same time, and cauliflower ears.
Definition: Rugby a game watche dby gentlemen and played by hooligans/

[quote=SpeedyGonzales,reply=170]Quoting EDICHC (Reply 148):

Why complain,it results in us consistently underacheiving. Though any UK team will alway have a majority of English players, just think of a few who never really featured on the International stage by accident of birthplace, George Best being the most prominent. Others who immediately spring to mind are Ryan Giggs and Ian Rush.

EDICHC

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:03 am

Perhaps that may have something to do with being the birthplace of the beautiful game. Simple fact is the four UK football associations (FA, SFA, WFA, IFA) are all older than FIFA, UEFA or any other national association.

Germany is a federal republic of 16 unified regions. The UK is a union of kingdoms as the name suggests. You are comparing apples to oranges there.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

EI747SYDNEY

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 am

Tottenham Hotspur...I'm an Arsenal fan by the way
''Live life on the edge, Live each and every day like it's your last, Hell you only live once''

exFATboy

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:28 pm

Let's see - teams and sports I hate:

MLB: Red Sox...there was no curse, your team just sucked for decade after decade! I was glad you finally won the World Series so your fans would stop whining! (Cubs fans I have great respect for, futility handled with grace and class.)

NFL: San Francisco 49ers - not for the team (except for Jerry Rice) but for the fans, I lived there for years and I've never seen a bigger group of fair-weather bandwagon-jumping whiners.

And, for the moment, the Eagles, for signing Vick. Yes, there's an argument to be made for "forgiveness", but let him sit out for at least a season, see how the other half lives, and show he's truly repentant and just not saying what the NFL "leadership" wants to hear.

And the Dolphins, for constantly being a pain in the a$$ to my beloved Patriots, even in years when they otherwise reek. (And yes, I'm a Patriots fan and hate the Red Sox - it's complicated, even more so by the facts that I live in New York City now, and actually could live without the Yankees as well.)

NHL: the Colorado Avalanche, dirty-hitting scum (except for Roy). Admittedly they may not be that any more, but I have leftover bile from the past that'll carry this hatred on for a while.

NBA: the Utah Jazz, but only for the stupidity of their name ("choirboys" would be so much more appropriate!) Actually, "Toronto Raptors" is pretty stupid too.

College Football: Notre Dame. HATE. Hate NBC for giving them so much coverage - who gives a frack? They're just one team, they're nothing special, what's the big deal?

Florida - just 'cause then win too much. And I find Tebow annoying. And 'cause rivals Florida State have the same initials as my college (Fresno State) so I have to root for FSU.

College Basketball: while not a hate, I have had to set aside my love for Fresno State because of the thuggishness of their recruits in recent years and the collapse of academic standards. Boyd Grant, where are you when we need you?

Soccer: I'd have to actually care to hate anyone. And I can't care for any sport where some of the players' primary skill seems to be acting, falling to the ground and writhing in agony when someone's uniform sleeve grazes them. And where for some reason when you win, all the players start taking their shirts off...WHAT IS WITH THAT?

NASCAR: Hate the entire sport. Particularly hate the fans who feel compelled to put pictures that are blatant rip-offs of Calvin (from Calvin & Hobbes) urinating on someone else's number or a car brand logo.

Gymnastics: Hate dance moves in floor exercise. That doesn't prove you're a gymnast, proves you're a bloody dancer. Any of Madonna's backup dancers could do them better. Get this crap out of gymnastics.

Other Sports: There are entire sports I hate, if for no reason than their biblical-grade stupidity and yet they're in the Olympics: rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, Greco-Roman wrestling.

Now as for individual players (and a coach or two):

MLB: A-Rod. Just because.

NFL: Jerry Rice, for blatant "race card" playing back in the day in SF (I lived there at the time), "wah, I don't get any endorsement contracts, 'cause I'm black..." at the same time Roger Craig was raking in the cash. He didn't get contracts because he had all the personality of a piece of particularly dry, bland wood on TV. Had the audacity to bitch at Disney for not giving him the "I'm going to Disneyland..." spot even though Disney's contract specifically and clearly said "winning quarterback", not "MVP".

Brett Farve: retire, or don't, but just make up your effing MIND. Tired of hearing about you. Go away. (And any more cheap, illegal shots like last weekend and your a$$ should just be thrown out of the league.)

John Elway: for being annoying. He just is.

Trent Dilfer: for stinking with the reek of a thousand fat men running on a Tampa summer day your entire time at Tampa Bay and making me ashamed to be a Fresno State graduate.

Michael Vick: obvious. Can earn his way off the list by being truly repentant, but prove it first. Actions speak louder than words. Till then the hate stays.

Vince Lombardi: for quite possibly being the most over-rated "motivator" in history. I have had to sit through far, FAR too many business classes and seminars where some "motivational quote" from Mister Obvious was trotted out.

NHL:

Claude Lemieux: should have rotted in jail for the Kris Draper incident and been banned for life. Piece of filth.

Martin Brodeur: actually, I love him, but he's just too damn GOOD!  Silly

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:59 pm

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 176):
College Football: Notre Dame. HATE. Hate NBC for giving them so much coverage - who gives a frack? They're just one team, they're nothing special, what's the big deal?

I'm with you on that one, bro! I am still trying to figure out what makes ND special and why they even have that ridiculous NBC contract for.... They can't even win!

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 176):
Florida - just 'cause then win too much. And I find Tebow annoying. And 'cause rivals Florida State have the same initials as my college (Fresno State) so I have to root for FSU.

You should have added the Trojans of USC as well.

fruitbat

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 173):
Definition: Rugby a game watche dby gentlemen and played by hooligans/

I always thought it was the following:

Rugby - a game for hooligans played by gentlemen
Football - a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.....

Rugby players call the ref "Sir" at all times (10 yds penalty if not) in fact a team generally only communicates with the ref through their captain. Yes its a hard mans game (especially at the top level) but it has managed somehow (prior to 'Quins Bloodgate scandal anyway) maintain it's integrity. I make it to see two or three premiership games a season and really enjoy the atmosphere and the fact that I am respected like an adult and allowed to have a drink (or several) during the game!

Anyway, enough of that, need to get back on topic!
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

oakbwifella

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:23 am

Baseball: Being from Maryland, I HATE HATE HATE those damn Yankees with a passion. I still won't get over the 1996 ALCS against my Baltimore Orioles, and Jeffrey Maier reaching over and stealing the ball from Tony Tarasco...

College Football: Iowa Hawkeyes. I went to Iowa State, and I could hate any of the other schools in the Big 12, but Iowa is a bitter rival.

NFL: The Dallas Cowboys. I'm a huge Washington Redskins fan, and you can't be a Redskins fanatic an not hate the Cowboys, Jerry Jones, Tony Romo, and even the Cowboys Cheerleaders (the Redskinettes are way better!). I'm not a huge Oakland Raiders fan, but I work at schools in deep urban Oakland, and loyalties run DEEP, so I need to keep my mouth shut on that.

EPL: Manchester United...they've rubbed me the wrong way since Beckham was on the pitch for them. I'm a Gunner all the way.
Clear for Takeoff RWY 29 contact NORCAL departure

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:10 am

The Soviet Union did in the Olympics, IIRC. The satellite states represented themselves. And Puerto Rico does now. Puerto Rico competes independently from the USA.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 177):
I'm with you on that one, bro! I am still trying to figure out what makes ND special and why they even have that ridiculous NBC contract for.... They can't even win!

When Michigan and Notre Dame played each other in week 3 last season, both were 0-2 going into the game (after Michigan's sweet loss to Appalachian State and then Oregon), and the game was dubbed the "2007 Toilet Bowl".

Now I just laugh when I watch the movie "The Longest Yard" with Adam Sandler when he's talking about the tune-up game against "some slack Division II school like Appalachian State; kick the livin' shit out of em'." - unless you're the University of Michigan.  rotfl 

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 168):
I think a much larger percent of the world population would agree that football is a much more entertaining sport.

I guess a larger percent of the world is more content with watching grass grow. Because that's about the most exciting thing to do at most soccer games.  duck 

rootsair

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:39 am

Football players: Cristiano Ronaldo (tho he plays for Real Madrid)
Wayne Rooney
Roberto Baggio
Didier Drogba
Nicolas Anelka ...and many more

Football teams: FC BARCELONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its more than hate
Man Utd
Chelsea
AC Milan
Juventus
Brazil
Italy
England
Portugal
FC Basel
FC Porto

Rugby: England

American Football : the sport itself sucks as hell

Regards BM  airplane  wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

DeltaRules

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Most disliked/hated athlete overall: Danica Patrick

NHL teams:
-Nashville
-Calgary (don't really hate them but they're growing on me in a bad way)
-Detroit (call it a respectful dislike...I don't pull for them, but they are at the top of the class)

NHL players:
-Marian Hossa (though he's about off this list, thanks to his botched run at a Cup with DET)
-Adam Foote (his antics with the CBJ at the 2008 trade deadline, though the pick we got for him got us RJ Umberger, still make me want to boo.)
-Jordin Tootoo (punk)
-Craig Weller (cheap shot artist)
-The War Room (15 games in one night and you're "too busy" to look further at whether or not Rick Nash high-sticked the puck into the net vs. Minnesota? What a lame excuse. Even Lemaire thought they were off to OT. And don't even get me started about the two-for-one comedy of errors in December when they said Mike Smith "threw" his stick in the shootout in a TBL/COL game & later that night, said Manny Malhotra kicked the OT GWG into the net at Dallas while on ONE LEG).

Honorable mention to any NHL player who ponders retirement for half a season, then signs before the trade deadline & makes 7 figures for playing 40 games. Scott Niedermayer, Teemu Selanne, Mats Sundin, Brendan Shanahan, I'm looking in your direction here.

NCAA football:
-USC
-Michigan (kinda have to being from Ohio)

NFL:
-Michael Vick (dogfighting, release from prison & "I'm preaching non-violence from now on" front)

NASCAR:
-Matt Kenseth (whiny hypocrite. Wrecks Jeff Gordon at Bristol because he (Matt)'s mad at Kurt Busch, then cries "If NASCAR is at all consistent, they'll black flag the 24!" after JG got him back later that year)
-Jimmie Johnson (Tired of him, makes me never want to use the word "awesome" again.)
-Kyle Busch (Cocky punk, though his ability in a racecar draws my respect)
-Joey Logano (mostly thanks to ESPN....he's NOT the MJ or Tiger of NASCAR after one start. NASCAR seems to be forcing him on us, too.)
-Scott Speed (Couldn't do anything in F1, hotshot SoCal attitude and "holier than thou" antics make me not feel bad when he DNQs)
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

aviationmaster

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 119):
Why do you hate the German national team? Is it because we always play best against the Swiss? Wink

Its because we always show our worst performance against you guys.  Wink

Its not really hate - more like a love-hate relationship. Usually the German team will see my support. In the end it all depends on who the team is playing against.

steeler83

Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 182):
Detroit (call it a respectful dislike...I don't pull for them, but they are at the top of the class)

I find it amazingly hilarious that he left the Penguins because he thought his chances to win a Cup with them were slim to none. So what did he do? He went to the then-defending Redwings...

Karma sucks, doesn't it? Big grin