JBirdAV8r

RE: Anti-US Attitude On A.net?

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:18 am

Quoting zalemam (Reply 19):
Its not just the US that gets bashed, its anything with the slightest flaw, I've been visiting A.net for many years and have come to the conclusion that A.net has so many users that love to complain, moan and bitch at just about every little aspect of a problem.

You know, this is a really good point.

Arguments here descend into the ridiculous with sadly amazing speed. If someone makes a statement someone else doesn't like, often times the next response will be about stupid stuff like grammar and punctuation, and how that makes the other person a complete moron. It's like lightning--insults seem to follow the path of least resistance. It gets my dander up, and I'm ashamed to admit I can fall prey to it too. So many general stereotypes abound and are perpetuated, and it's completely unhealthy.

All the Boeing vs Airbus bickering really chafes me as well. It's amazing to me how the chief perpetuators of it will sit there and make subtle jabs and then proceed to tacitly start a flame war by lamenting how, for example, B fans always put down the A fans. For the record, I see it as 50/50. Also for the record--the professionals in both companies have a deep respect and appreciation for what the other is doing.

It's all sad, really. The Internet is becoming a poisonous melting pot of bad attitudes and bad ideas. You'd think a common interest in aviation would bring us all together, but not some of us.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Charlienoble
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 62):
You'd think a common interest in aviation would bring us all together, but not some of us.

And if not that, Springbok's picture of Keeley Hazell should do the trick.

Nothing wrong with her....teeth.
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

Severnaya

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Quoting CharlieNoble (Thread starter):
Am I missing something here?

Perhaps the whole point is just that the majority of members on A.net are people from the US.

People tend to criticize their own country more than foreigners. Just have a look in the TSA threads, they're all opened up by people from the US.
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

Superfly

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:15 pm

All the Boeing vs Airbus bickering really chafes me as well.

I never even knew of any sort of rivalry until I came to Airliners.net and I've been an aviation buff all my life.

the professionals in both companies have a deep respect and appreciation for what the other is doing.

Very true!
It's sad that if one company comes up with a truely great aircraft, the fans of the other company will knock it.
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I have traveled a fair amount in Germany and England in the last four years. I don't spend much time in big cities and I tend to hang out with locals who are right wing types. I have never had anyone say anything anti American to my face. I don't hand around other Americans when I go to Europe, I don't go anywhere that might have some hippy back packers hanging around. One time I was at a pub in the UK and I met some locals who were talking about gun ownership and how they still owned guns and kept them illegally because they felt it was their right. The conversation got started because one of them spotted my NRA belt buckle. These guys bought me all kinds of beers and said they had not met any Americans like me before because the only Americans they ever met were the hippy back packer type. Last year I was in the UK and I was talking with a Mechanic and he asked what I thought about GWB and the Iraq war. I had never been asked that before. I told him that I supported it and I thought GWB was a good president. They guy agreed with me and said I was the first American he had met in the UK that thought that.

I had an article written about me in the Halle Germany newspaper back in 2008 and it did poke a bit of fun at me because I had cowboy boots and a cowboy hat, but I would expect a local US newspaper to poke fun of a German a bit if he wore a Bavarian hat. The article was about me and a local man who traded beer bottle caps.

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 2):
Boeing airplanes aren't as good as their Airbus equivalents

They aren't McDonell Douglas built the best!

Quoting mham001 (Reply 9):
never, ever mistake a Canadian for American.

I once posed as a Canadian to get a free lunch. I have a friend who was born and raised in Montreal and she is a native English speaker and people assume she is an American all the time. Last summer she and I were having a drink at a Montreal bar. The waitress asked her where in the US she was from. When she said " I was born, raised, live twenty minutes from here" the waitress got embarrassed and walked away.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
the worst are the new-moneyed Russians and Middle-Easterners. I've seen entire families with children bully and harass restaurant and hotel staff, cut in line and do things that are just downright rude. I've never seen Americans act like this.

I would say those are the worst.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
Yeah. That you're trying your worst to serve as a bad example and to solidify the weird stereotypes some people may have about americans.

It's too late, however. There are already too many sane, reasonable americans around here to destroy such blanket stereotypes.

I am one of those American types that meets the stereotypes. Drives a big car, owns a pickup truck, has a lot of guns, is fat, doesn't care about the planet, is right wing, goes to church every Sunday, the list goes on and on.

I would say the biggest anti-Americans on a.net are not anyone that lives in another country, but the people who live in the USA and were born and raised here who do not have a USA flag on their profile. I am nottalking about people like Superfly who is an American, but is not in the USA. I am talking about people who are Americans and are in the USA who claim not to be Americans.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Arrow

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 66):
I once posed as a Canadian to get a free lunch.

The mounties are on their way. And don't try to pay us off with any of those US "funny money" dollars.  

Canadians get lumped in with Americans all the time -- especially in Europe. That's why they often have little Canadian flags on their backpacks. But it's really not a big deal, and some of the nicest people we've run into on our extensive backpacking trips in the Alps have been Americans. And I've seen them unjustifiably crapped on a few times by some (a small minority) of the Europeans they deal with.

My funniest anti-American insult came last year in New Zealand at AKL going through customs. We were hurrying to get to a line-up because we had a connection to make -- and an NZ customs guy looked at us and said "you Americans, you're always in such a damned hurry." I didn't set him straight.

BUT -- I learned never to call a Kiwi an Aussie -- that really can get you in trouble.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Venus6971

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 35):
Finally, I do believe that the people who emigrated from Germany to the US took with them a very German trait: constant discontent. On the one hand, it makes you believe that what you're making is never good enough, so you end up making the best stuff possible, but on the other hand it makes you complain about things that other people would simply shrug off and accept as a fact of life. Which means that the complaining becomes international.

Oh that's my problem, years of therapy wasted, it figures a German would figure it out.

[Edited 2011-02-16 11:22:44 by srbmod]
I would help you but it is not in the contract

Charlienoble
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 68):
only because of the huge American presence in East Anglia since 1942, alot of G.I's sneaking their way into alot of Brit family tree's. Good breading goes a long way. Kate Middleton looks like she can easily pass herself off as a Yank.. I still wonder if there is a 18 year old Brit around Cambridge who looks like me. Great times.

Love that Kate. I've had little interest at all in Royalty until very recently.

As for the rest, I don't suppose our men deployed in today's conflicts are enjoying the local fauna in quite the same way...
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

Braybuddy

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:58 pm

I think this may be a case of proportionality than bias: I just checked the top 30 threads in Civil Av and 11 are US-related, while over in Non Av there are a whopping 17! Give the nature of forums, which tend to be argumentative, it's only to be expected that the country which generates the most posts is going to get the most criticism. Apart from the Irish aviation threads, I can only remember two threads related to this country in the last few months, so naturally we're not going to register much criticism at all. As Oscar Wilde once said, there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about . . . so don't take it too personally.

Stabilator

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 64):
US "funny money"

Speaking of funny money, one thing I hate is when I pass a gumball machine and pull out a quarter, only to realize it's a Canadian quarter.   No Gumball for me.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

flyorski

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 62):
As Oscar Wilde once said, there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about . . . so don't take it too personally.

That makes sense. It does not have to be taken so seriously when people trash-talk one nation. Although it can get very old very quickly.

Also the U.S. exerts a lot more influence that often gets seen as 'negative' than most other countries which makes it easy to trash talk the U.S. Books get published that list all the stupid laws that some U.S. states still have on the books which adds to the stereotype, even though many other nations have similar or equally pointless laws. Also the U.S. political system leads to a lot of strife and name-calling and its easy to capitalize on that if your looking to bash the U.S. The fact that some people called President Bush 'evil" and others question President Obama's birthplace works to make the U.S. look ridiculous as well.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

wn700driver

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 pm

As much as I've traveled, the worst are the new-moneyed Russians and Middle-Easterners. I've seen entire families with children bully and harass restaurant and hotel staff, cut in line and do things that are just downright rude. I've never seen Americans act like this.

No kidding! But I think that's just a new-money kind of thing. Not the same, but I would say related to same phonomenon whereby people (especially here in the US) spend far more than they can afford to in order to appear wealthy. After a while, some feel the need to take on that attitude as a way to show off their new-found slightly above poverty status...

I've found the smelly backpackers and academic know-it-all NGO volunteer types to be the worse.
The best thing to do is just ignore them. It's more of a personal complex issue on their part.

Amen there too. I have someone currently in my employ who loves to take every opportunity to remind us all how great she is because of some peace corps work in the south pacific a decade ago. I would imagine they're even more insufferable when they're actually out saving the poor helpless world...

I just love 4-engine aircraft regardless of who makes them.
A380
A340
IL-96
IL-86
DC-8
IL-62

And yet you list the very best of all last...  
Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):

And that's the point. A.net lives far more by the civilized members who are actually interested in aviation and in exchanging views and ideas than by the flamebaiters, trolls and perpetually offended drama queens.

I hate to admit it out loud, but I'm actually impressed with the level of civility on this forum. I'm not happy with the price for that, which I would opine to be the haphazard deletion of posts that might offend people without senses of humor, or who are just too sensitive anyway. But (uh-oh just started a sentence with a conjunction!!!), overall, I would say that we are pretty good to one an other on this forum, so even that's a (relatively) small price to pay...

And yes, I really do enjoy reading all the well-informed and technically reliable (if sometimes biases one way or the other) posting that happens here...

Quoting U2380 (Reply 18):
have you ever met the Queen? e.t.c, e.t.c.
Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 25):
USA bashing is a drop in the ocean if compared to Islam bashing here, but do you see me complaining?

In fact I do. With this very post! Just thought I'd point that out for irony value...  
Quoting AR385 (Reply 60):

You should see what is written about Mexico. That is probably one of the most bashed countries in this forum.

Well yeah, that's because it's Mexico! [duck] j/k

I actually think Mexico is a pretty place (in places, at times) and do wish you all the best with the current troubles WRT the gangs and cartels. Would be great if the US could cut demand for those products in the first place though, huh? Honestly, I do think that what's happening south of the border actually is fairly "bashable"... on the US.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 57):

Finally, anyone who thinks that the 1950s America was "utopian" is very ignorant and totally unaware of the struggles some people had to deal with in both social and economic issues

Hey now, I'm sure the KKK misses those days...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

TheCommodore

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 56):
People tend to criticize their own country more than foreigners. Just have a look in the TSA threads, they're all opened up by people from the US.

Brilliant point.

And what about all the US political (bashing) threads, most, if not ALL are started by people from the US.   

Buy yet when "others" (non US citizens) contribute to these threads, with an opinion/suggestion/whatever, one is automatically labeled, anti-US.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

JakeOrion

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:03 pm

- Airports in the US are awful

For the most part, true. Nobody is dying to go through LAX or MIA for example. To be fair, in my opinion, LHR is the worst airport I've ever had to travel through.

- Airline service in the US is terrible

Half true. Some airlines I had been on were just terrible, others, some of the best customer service I ever had.

- Airplanes being flown by airlines in the US are shabby

Same answer as airline service.

- The T.S.A. are at best incompetent, and at worst deliberately malicious

These guys offend morons. That is saying something.

- Boeing airplanes aren't as good as their Airbus equivalents (except for the 77W of course)

Opinion and nothing more. Brush it off. Both manufactures are great.

- American passengers are inconsiderate jackasses.

I've ran into my fair share of foreign jackasses as well, but I will admit for every one foreign jackass I've come across, there seems to be 2 American jackasses to take his place. Overall though, I consider 99% of the travelers considerate and respectable.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

dc9northwest

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 pm

- Airports in the US are awful
- Airline service in the US is terrible
- Airplanes being flown by airlines in the US are shabby
- The T.S.A. are at best incompetent, and at worst deliberately malicious
- Boeing airplanes aren't as good as their Airbus equivalents (except for the 77W of course)
- American passengers are inconsiderate jackasses.

Let's see... I disagree with the statement about US airports. While not "excellent" or "amazing", I would not call any US airport awful. I have been to a couple of horrendous airports, such as CDG's T2B/C or BBU, but every US airport has been at least decent. They all get passing grades.

Airline service... I wouldn't call it terrible at all. However, it is mediocre in some cases. That said, I've never been treated poorly by a US airline in 10 years. United's customer service in 2000 was horrible and going to/from T5 and T1 a few times at O'Hare because UA's flight was late and we missed our flight is ridiculous. That said, Delta always treated me at least alright, including upgrades on the next int'l flight if I missed my flight... I never had a problem of NW, because they were always on time.

Airplanes are shabby... Well, I just flew on a MD-88 on DL (ship 945)... and it looked shabby, inside and out. I remember a horrible dilapidated US 737-300 in 2004 as well as a DL 767 in 2005. That said, most airplanes aren't like that. That's 3 planes out hundreds.

I'd rather do without the TSA process, and I once had to wait 10 minutes for someone to check my goddamn bag... Which means the line was at a standstill for 10 minutes, because there was no one there to do the damn bag check. It took less time to check it than to wait for the agent. That said, I don't care... I'd rather do without the process, but generally there are no problems... It depends a lot on the employee. Some are trained very poorly, if at all.

Any flight has inconsiderate passengers.

richm

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 pm

NOTICE:

A number of posts were removed from this thread due to being in violation of the forum rules. May I remind you all to post in a civil manner, while ensuring that your post is on topic. Please also keep in mind that you may debate the topic, but not a particular user. Should you seek further clarification, please refer to our forum rules or contact us directly via [email protected]

Any further rule violations may result in this thread being locked.

Thank you for your understanding.

Superfly

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 61):
No kidding! But I think that's just a new-money kind of thing. Not the same, but I would say related to same phonomenon whereby people (especially here in the US) spend far more than they can afford to in order to appear wealthy. After a while, some feel the need to take on that attitude as a way to show off their new-found slightly above poverty status...

The problem is much deeper than that. The new moneyed Russians often has a mafia element to it and they have an tendency to completely take over an area in which there is a lot of organized crime.
With the Middle-East travellers, they're been wealthy for a very long time. Keep in mind, they come from countries where it's acceptable for hospitals to turn away sick people based on race and social economic status. In their country, it's acceptable to rape and torture maids and other guest workers.

Amen there too. I have someone currently in my employ who loves to take every opportunity to remind us all how great she is because of some peace corps work in the south pacific a decade ago. I would imagine they're even more insufferable when they're actually out saving the poor helpless world...

Sorry you have to work with someone like that. I know the type all too well. She probably hung out in the South Pacific on her daddy's nickel and slept around with a few big local guys. That is all fine & dandy but don't pretend to be some frikkin' savior.

Hey now, I'm sure the KKK misses those days...

Ironically, former KKK leader David Duke earned a PhD from a European University recently!
He wrote his dissertation on Zionism and berating Jewish people. Even our conservative universities in the US such as BJU aren't that extreme.

And yet you list the very best of all last...

Sorry about that. 
I'd rather fly on the IL-62 over any Boeing or Airbus.  
Bring back the Concorde

Lufthansa411

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:11 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 51):
I'd rather be on a DC-9 over a BA A320 any day.
One would think that an aviation enthusiast site such as Airliners.net would appreciate classic jetliner still in revenue passenger service.

Sorry, should have been more clear:

There is a big difference between a poorly maintained a/c and a well maintained a/c, whether it be a DC-9 or an A320, and no matter how old it is. For sure I have been on some older aircraft that were delivered in the 80's that still look almost new, but then some of them just look horrible. It is one thing if you are flying on a flight for the atmosphere i.e. a Saha Air 707, it is quite another when you are flying from LGA to TPA on AA and see bits of the ceiling panels falling off.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 48):
I see from y uor profile that you have less than a year in a.net. I´ve been here for 7 years an 4 months.

If you were talking about my profile, I don't see where you are reading from as I have been a member for just over 3 years.

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

Superfly

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 am

Quoting Lufthansa411 (Reply 70):
I have been on some older aircraft that were delivered in the 80's that still look almost

80s?
That's a brand new airline.  
Many of the fmr. Northwest DC-9s were delivered in the late 1960s & early 1970s.

It is one thing if you are flying on a flight for the atmosphere i.e. a Saha Air 707

I wish there were more 707s in passenger service. Many of the DC-9s flying with Delta are older than some 707s.

it is quite another when you are flying from LGA to TPA on AA and see bits of the ceiling panels falling off.

There is a thread in the Civil Aviation forums where they point out that AA hasn't hired a new flight attendant since spring of 2001 and their senior most F.A. was hired in 1958.
One thing I love about AA is their livery.
Bring back the Concorde

richm

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:52 am

NOTICE:

This thread is now closed as a result of numerous rule violations.

Any posts submitted after this will be removed for housekeeping purposes only.

Future tips:

- Always debate the topic, not the user
- Ensure that your post is on-topic (Not sure if your post is off topic? If so, refer to the topic title and ask yourself "Is my post directly related to it?")
- Report offending posts instead of responding to them
- Ensure that your post is constructive. It must contribute to the thread. Posts consisting of just a few lines are probably not worth posting
- Try to avoid making blanket statements
- Avoid posting while angry or upset. Take some time to cool down first
- When in doubt, refer to the forum rules or contact us directly via [email protected]

Thank you