Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Checo77
Topic Author

1 And A Half Day In Salt Lake City, What To Do?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Hello guys!

I am doing a trip in October flying into JAC and driving through Grand Teton and Yellowstone Natl Parks to SLC and from there flying back home.

In my itinerary, I have a trip to the Antelope Island, would you recomment it? Then, I have the rest of the afternoon free plus the other day as well.
What to do? Sightseeing in downtown SLC will not take a complete day, or yes? What to do? Is Provo worth seeing? Or are there any interesting places to visit/see in one day?

Thanks! I will be of great help!

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

kevi747

RE: 1 And A Half Day In Salt Lake City, What To Do?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm

You HAVE to eat at the "Red Iguana". (Mexican food) They are world-famous for their mole sauces. Yum! www.rediguana.com
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

seb146

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 am

I have camped on Antelope Island. There is a museum there and that is really about it. There is also the novelty of driving across the causeway to the island, but other than that, nothing is there. As far as the city itself, once you have seen Temple Square and taken Unviersity TRAX (light rail) to Olympic Park, you have seen everything there is to see in SLC! I think the Conference Center (across the street on the south side of Temple Square) is amazing! All those seats and not one column!

Quoting Checo77 (Thread starter):
I am doing a trip in October flying into JAC and driving through Grand Teton and Yellowstone Natl Parks

Would it be possible to change your arrival airport to BZN? The drive up the Gallitan River to Yellowstone is beautiful.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Checo77
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:32 am

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 1):
You HAVE to eat at the "Red Iguana". (Mexican food) They are world-famous for their mole sauces. Yum!

Thanks for the tip!

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):
Would it be possible to change your arrival airport to BZN? The drive up the Gallitan River to Yellowstone is beautiful.

Sed146,
thanks for your tips! Just wanted to ask you, the drive up the Gallitan River from Bozeman is the road US-89 via Gardiner or the US-191 via Four Corners? Is the drive long? If I fly into BZN, I will be arriving around 4pm, will I make it to Yellowstone by daylight in October, you think?

Thanks!!
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

Goldenshield

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:07 pm

You could also take the train up to Lagoon, the only amusement park in Utah.

Up in Promintory point, you can see the golden spike that linked the continents.

And I concur with Red iguana. Also, Rooster's in Ogden.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Zkpilot

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I often wondered that myself.... one answer that comes to mind is not drink.... spirits and wine are quite hard to come by and the beer in UT is weak even by American standards!
I'm not sure if October is too early but UT has some of the best (if not the best) skiing in the world.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

seb146

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 3):
Just wanted to ask you, the drive up the Gallitan River from Bozeman is the road US-89 via Gardiner or the US-191 via Four Corners?

Drive straight south from the airport. 89 through Four Corners. It gets dark early in Montana in October. Bozeman is surrounded by mountians, so to see the beauty of the Gallitan River, you would have to either arrive earlier or spend the night in Bozeman. It takes about 90 minutes to get to Yellowstone, unless there is snow then it takes longer.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

j.mo

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Spirits and wine are NOT hard to come by in Utah anymore. They have revamped the liquor laws quite a bit. Weak beer is a problem but go hit Squatters or Red Rock Breweries in dowtown Salt Lake City for some good local beer. If you are renting a car go explore the mountains to the east. There are a lot of cool little towns up in the hills. Park City, Midway, Heber. Up Ogden canyon is beautiful Huntsville and the Shooting Star Saloon. It is supposed to have the best Hambuger in the State. Hit 25th Street in Ogden at night. It is pretty fun with local restaurants, a Comedy club, shops and breweries.

Skip the downtown Temple stuff, unless that's your thing. There are plenty of other things to do.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

Zkpilot

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Quoting j.mo (Reply 7):
Spirits and wine are NOT hard to come by in Utah anymore. They have revamped the liquor laws quite a bit.

Really? I was there only back in Feb... Most states you can buy alcohol in supermarkets, gas stations, costco type stores etc. Liquor stores are normally to be found every few blocks normally also. Salt Lake City I think I saw 2 liquor stores the entire 2 weeks I was there (and maybe another 1 or 2 the previous 3 weeks I was there). Maybe it isn't "hard" to get anymore, but it is definitely difficult!
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

bohica

Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:19 am

If you want to kill a few hours I recommend going to the Bingham Canyon Mine south of SLC which is one of the largest open pit mines in the world. You can see quite a bit of activity while you are there. The floor of the mine is 3/4 mile below you when you look over the railing. From that distance those giant dump trucks look small.   However, some of those dump trucks get fairly close to the visitors center so you can appreciate their size. Admission is $5 per car.

For more information go to http://www.kennecott.com/

[Edited 2011-06-23 22:20:39]

j.mo

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 8):
Really? I was there only back in Feb... Most states you can buy alcohol in supermarkets, gas stations, costco type stores etc. Liquor stores are normally to be found every few blocks normally also.

My apologies. I was thinking of restaurants and bars. The laws before were truly stupid. You can get beer in supermarkets but for wine and whiskey you must hit the state owned liquor stores. Not a big deal. I don't need a liquor store every 1/2 mile anyway.

Jeremy