gosimeon

RE: Homo Rollcall

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Quoting Delboy (Reply 198):
What is it with gay people that they feel to go onto websites and ask others to 'come out' or just plain own up to being gay?

It's nice to know who else is gay - simple as. I don't see the big deal. It's interesting to know which fellow members are gay. There is also a straight version of this thread somewhere if you wanna post there!

fly777s

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 199):
and having a non-Southern accent can be a social handicap here as well.

It's interesting you say that... I've been told because I lack in a southern accent, don't wear AF/AE, and because I have dark hair, I look "foreign" and that is alien to most people. In my own observations, I've found the majority of people (gays) here all dress the same, have the same hair-styles, listen to the same music, etc etc... It's HOMOgeneous!

The funny thing is, I was actually born and raised here...

Quoting TSS (Reply 199):
You've already encountered their dubious sanitation and druggie infestation, and to that I'll add their high "Lookie-Lou" quotient- An extraordinary number of straight patrons who are there to observe homos in their natural habitat, and who are prone to get offended if any of the homos look back at them.

Yes.. I've encountered all of that... and I don't miss it at all! It was too difficult to see in the ever present thick cloud of smoke... Ended up bumping into quite a few people who took it the wrong way.. And my feet sticking to the floor as I'd walk... God only knows what covers that floor....

TSS

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 am

Quoting Fly777s (Reply 201):
I've been told because I lack in a southern accent, don't wear AF/AE, and because I have dark hair, I look "foreign" and that is alien to most people.

I take it "foreign" in this context means "Non-Southern".  
I don't understand the part about having dark hair, though, as light-colored hair isn't all that common and natural blonds are quite rare here. On the other hand, peroxide-generated blonds are quite numerous in this area. Granted, I grew up in Ensley where natural blonds were almost un-heard of, but even in downtown Birmingham one doesn't see them every day.
By the way, what is "AF/AE"?

In my own observations, I've found the majority of people (gays) here all dress the same, have the same hair-styles, listen to the same music, etc etc... It's HOMOgeneous!

The last few times I went out I noticed the same thing. Believe me, it wasn't always that way here. The apparent invasion of the Homo-clones is why I haven't gone out here in years.

And my feet sticking to the floor as I'd walk... God only knows what covers that floor...

The least repulsive possibility is spilled schnapps, so just keep telling yourself that's what it was.  
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Delboy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Quoting gosimeon (Reply 200):
What is it with gay people that they feel to go onto websites and ask others to 'come out' or just plain own up to being gay?

It's nice to know who else is gay - simple as. I don't see the big deal. It's interesting to know which fellow members are gay. There is also a straight version of this thread somewhere if you wanna post there!

I didn't know that, you learn something new everyday!

mariner

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:48 am

I've never got that. If you are gay, you're gay; you don't need to do this.

Explain?

Birds of a feather flock together. It's one of the most basic instincts.

I feel no need to come here and announce I'm gay (I don't like the word "gay"), but I read this to see what some members of my tribe are thinking and because it is amusing - there are some good wits here.

Especially today, of all days, when life in the US military changed a bit, for the better, for my tribe.

mariner
aeternum nauta

TWFirst

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 am

Whaddup peeps! Just now saw this thread.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

kiwiandrew

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:25 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 204):
I feel no need to come here and announce I'm gay (I don't like the word "gay"),

Out of curiosity ( not that you have to justify yourself to me or anyone else) , is there any particular reason you don't like the word "gay"?

mariner

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 206):
Out of curiosity ( not that you have to justify yourself to me or anyone else) , is there any particular reason you don't like the word "gay"?

I'm old - and old fashioned. To me, the word means something else.

There's a whole bunch of literature, musicals, plays, books that get a different meaning now and I feel for those writers.

The song "Come, boys, let's all be gay, boys!" didn't mean that. LOL.

I really don't care what people call me, it doesn't change me. I was perfectly happy with queer - but a lot of people object to that.

"Gay" was a secret, covert code word - a symbol of oppression, like "musical" or "light in the loafers" - but that was a different time and place.  

mariner

[Edited 2011-09-20 23:42:20]
aeternum nauta

flyAUA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 207):
I really don't care what people call me, it doesn't change me. I was perfectly happy with queer - but a lot of people object to that.

No offense, but I would be more peed off if somebody referred to me as "queer" rather than "gay"   
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

Type-Rated

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 am

Quoting flyAUA (Reply 208):
No offense, but I would be more peed off if somebody referred to me as "queer" rather than "gay"

My parents used to call homosexuals "artistic people" as in "I think one of the neighbors has a son who may be artistic". Ha! Little did they know they had one in their midst until later. And I don't have an ounce of artistry in me, I'm a highly technical person.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

kiwiandrew

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:31 am

I think that a lot of the terminology depends on your age group and also where you are based ( and obviously your language - I remember being pretty shocked the first time I saw a headline in a Belgian newspaper referring to "Les homos".) I remember my ex partner and I getting a lesson in the differences in what is acceptable in different regions even within the English speaking world a few years ago. We were on a safari in Africa and by co-incidence there was also a Canadian lesbian and a gay guy from the States. After a couple of days they quietly explained to us that they were very uncomfortable about our use of "the D word" as they found it quite offensive. We were almost as shocked at their horror of our use of the term as they were shocked by our use of it. In New Zealand, amongst the GLBTT* community it is probably the most commonly used word for lesbian and has no negative associations at all.

*Yes, we do have GLBTT with two "T"s in New Zealand, more proof that there is no global one size fits terminology for our community 

flyAUA

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 am

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 210):
the D word

Sorry, but no D word comes to mind when reading your comment. Write me a private message to avoid breaking any forum rules! LOL
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

bookishaviator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 am

GLBTT

The acronym keeps getting extended. I've seen GLBTQI used a number of times.

"I'm a member of the GLBTQI community" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well as "I'm gay" (I somehow can't bring myself to say "I'm queer").
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

kiwiandrew

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 am

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 212):
The acronym keeps getting extended. I've seen GLBTQI used a number of times.

So true, I am all for inclusiveness, but it can become a bit unwieldy.

mariner

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:16 am

It is your right to be offended by whatever you want.

I choose not to be offended by anything. Call me a faggot or a cock-sucker or a willie-woofter (or several other things) and I just shrug.

mariner
aeternum nauta

bookishaviator

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 214):
cock-sucker

I've never understood why that is used as an insult against gay men. Perhaps I'm being too literal about it, but, well, erm, I am one and quite enjoy the activity thanks, I therefore hardly see that as an insult.

[Edited 2011-09-21 03:36:05]
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

BRJ

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 214):
I choose not to be offended by anything. Call me a faggot or a cock-sucker or a willie-woofter (or several other things) and I just shrug.

I for one cannot stand the 'f' word, but I think this comes from being bullied in school and being called that a young age.
Willie-woofter is one I have never heard!

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 215):
I've never understood why that is used as an insult against gay men. Perhaps I'm being too literal about it, but, well, erm, I am one and quite enjoy the activity thanks, I therefore hardly see that as an insult.

AGREED!

luckyone

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 215):

Haha that is so true. I got called that once and just told the guy "Yup, and I do it damn well." His jaw his the floor and I just couldn't help but laugh at him.

BRJ

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:00 pm

By the way 'family', on a serious note - we have lost yet another one of our own to senseless bullying and harassment:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/schools/article563538.ece

Jamey was just 14y/o. Breaks my heart.

BAViscount

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Quoting brj (Reply 216):
Willie-woofter is one I have never heard!

In the UK we have the term "Wooly Woofter" which is rhyming slang for "Poofter"...yet another label we can choose to wear should we feel so inclined!

Yes, I've always hated the word "queer"...call me anything else, but never call me queer! Personally I'm rather partial to being called a "bender"! 
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

Charles79

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting brj (Reply 218):
we have lost yet another one of our own to senseless bullying and harassment:

I saw a bit on the news but didn't have the chance to actually read the article...damn, that really brought me down. I too suffered from bullying and harassment in school (for being gay, being fat, being the "nerd", you name it) and think that the only reason I didn't commit suicide was my own drive to think that it could only get better.

It escapes my mind why is it that our society is paying no attention to this growing epidemic of bullying and attacks, both on and off school. Likewise, it is troubling for me that more and more kids today can't/don't see any hopes beyond their immediate future, regardless of the situation (bullying, parents getting divorced, getting dumped by a bf/gf, anorexia, etc). Seems like we are raising kids that lack the emotional stability to face negativity while at the same time raising kids with little to no regards for morals or values who don't care about the well being of others.

Sometimes you wish you could talk some sense to society...

usxguy

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Quoting bookishaviator (Reply 196):

Oh, jealous! You live in a very beautiful part of the world. And oh, the blokes in Alaska. Somebody take me back there...

The best thing Sarah Palin did for homos was bring Levi Johnston to the spot light   There REALLY ARE a lot of guys who look like that up here ^_^

husky, outdoorsy, and pretty face  
xx

mariner

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 219):
Personally I'm rather partial to being called a "bender"! 

Some one has taken the time to collate the euphemisms - or a lot of them. It missed bender - which I quite like, too - and I have no idea where "capitalist degeneration" comes from.

http://www.lyn.lowenstein.eu/projects/homo/euphemism.htm

But someone actually asked me once - a very long time ago - if I was a member of the Middlesex Regiment.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

kiwiandrew

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 217):
I got called that once and just told the guy "Yup, and I do it damn well." His jaw his the floor and I just couldn't help but laugh at him.

Perhaps you misread the signals and he was asking for lessons?  

gigneil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:02 pm

His jaw hitting the floor sounds like he has a jump on the situation.... I wish I could unhinge MY jaw.

NS

HELyes

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 pm

There's a new 'gay comedy' out there:

I just saw a new French kitschy comedy film called Let My People Go! directed by a young French Mikael Bunch. Quite funny, it's about a French Jewish gay guy Ruben living in Finland with his Finnish boyfriend and Ruben's return to his family in Paris. It's a Pedro Almodovar -type movie, even Carmen Maura is there, playing the Jewish mother.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/let-my-people-go-film-228648

A lot of Jewish jokes there, like a gay bar having the "Coming Out Of Egypt" party and the "Golda Meir Gym" for Jewish ladies.

And the Finnish scenes were hilarious, "smiley people living in identically coloured little cottages and happy-go-lucky gay sex is available even amidst the snowy forests" as one critic put it. Sure... some good looking guys though  

[Edited 2011-09-25 15:44:45]

LFutia

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:57 pm

+1

Groetjes uit Chicago  
Leo/ORD

stasisLAX

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 64):
PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR!! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY GIRL HEEEEEEEEEEY!!! LOL!

Where did you get the t-shirt? Awesome!!

Oh, and present and accounted for here in PHX. +1
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

skidmarks

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 pm

While declining to join the gay society I must say have always been intrigued as to why A.net attracted so many guys who like other guys sexually.

There seems a disproportional amount of chaps here who are quite prepared to openly flaunt their sexuality compared to other sites.

Not that I'm complaining or anything, just extremely curious.

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

KPDX

Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Quoting skidmarks (Reply 228):

I have to agree! Would be quite interesting to hear why..

extspotter

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:58 pm

I guess its because there is enough people here for it to just be accepted, at least in a way which would be ignored in shunned on most other general messageboards (obviously not JUB but thats another story!). Plus think about it, the industry which the site represents one of a few professions where out homosexuals are seen as "the norm". I know it is a misconception but if many people ever come accross a Male FA many people just assume they are gay. Similarly in other roles related to aviation or airports I am sure homosexuals are more common than average. Another slant is that due to the fact that homosexual people are much less likely to have dependents and also are more affluent than average means that travel is much more accessable. Another different point of view is that looking at giant metal phalluses is somehow fun, but personally I think it is more to do with other reasons. 
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

B6JFKH81

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 227):
Where did you get the t-shirt? Awesome!!

I got it specifically to wear to NYC pride. I did a quick google search on gay pride shirts and loved this design....and because of the Lady Gaga song LOL! This is the site that I got it from:

http://www.cafepress.com/+born_this_way_2sided_white_tshirt,507933781

~H81
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

safetyDemo

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 220):
I too suffered from bullying and harassment in school (for being gay ... being the "nerd", you name it) and think that the only reason I didn't commit suicide was my own drive to think that it could only get better.

Thanks for sharing, I had a very similar experience growing up.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 220):
It escapes my mind why is it that our society is paying no attention to this growing epidemic of bullying and attacks,

It is an epidemic. I hope it continues to gain attention and that, at a national level, something is done about it. If you haven't seen it, Lady Gaga performed a very touching tribute to the young man you're speaking of. It is on youtube, and worth watching. Whether you're a Lady Gaga fan or not, her passion and dedication are undeniable.
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

mariner

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 am

There seems a disproportional amount of chaps here who are quite prepared to openly flaunt their sexuality compared to other sites.

I'm puzzled about the word "flaunt."

mariner
aeternum nauta

September11

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:28 pm

hey

I'm not little, but very, homo   
Airliners.net of the Future

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:53 am

Not that I'm complaining or anything, just extremely curious.

True being a straight guy.....I always wondered why Anet had such a high proportion of gays.
Also how does a gay relate to a straight guy.Do they hang out with straight guys as buddies..
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Klaus

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 235):
True being a straight guy.....I always wondered why Anet had such a high proportion of gays.

There are thousands of members on a.net. The absolute number of declared gay members is still relatively low and only stands out due to the relatively low traffic in non-av nowadays.

Also how does a gay relate to a straight guy.Do they hang out with straight guys as buddies..

Sure. Most of my friends are straight. If I was straight, I wouldn't compulsively pursue every woman in sight either, and neither do I do that with male friends. It's a completely different level of relationship and it's supposed to remain different (unless really both are into each other, but that can complicate matters quite a bit even so).

mariner

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Do they hang out with straight guys as buddies..

My two closest male friends are straight, I've known 'em both for nearly forty years. I mean "friend" in the sense of no secrets, the first mates you turn to in time of happiness or trouble. I've nursed both of 'em through divorce and they were the first chums I introduced my partner to when things started to get serious.

I'm godfather to their children (one is named after me) and those children treat me as the kind - daffy - uncle, always giving 'em presents when they were kids and someone to talk to if things got rough with their parents. They don't know it, but they're in my will.

They're like family to me.

mariner
aeternum nauta

luckyone

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

While declining to join the gay society I must say have always been intrigued as to why A.net attracted so many guys who like other guys sexually.

How many straight men would quibble about things such as the color, texture, and orientation of furniture (ie seats), haut cuisine, and mood lighting??   

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 238):
How many straight men would quibble about things such as the color, texture, and orientation of furniture (ie seats), haut cuisine, and mood lighting??

True.....As a straight guy I'd rarely bother about those stuff  
Quoting mariner (Reply 237):
They're like family to me

They are lucky that you are there for them......Nice to hear about the bonding.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

skidmarks

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Damn!! maybe I AM gay! Although haute cuisine just isn't my thing I do like furniture and having a nice atmosphere.

Something impossible in my present situation!!

Andy   
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Charles79

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Quoting safetyDemo (Reply 232):
If you haven't seen it, Lady Gaga performed a very touching tribute to the young man you're speaking of. It is on youtube, and worth watching. Whether you're a Lady Gaga fan or not, her passion and dedication are undeniable.

I have not see it but I'll look it up (oh dear, I just outed myself as the only gay man in the Planet who DOESN'T listen to Lady Gaga!    ).

Quoting Klaus (Reply 236):
If I was straight, I wouldn't compulsively pursue every woman in sight either, and neither do I do that with male friends.

It always amazes me how some straight folks think that all gay men are after them (in my experience, the less attractive the straight guy, the "more" he thinks that the gays want him!).

Quoting Klaus (Reply 236):
It's a completely different level of relationship and it's supposed to remain different (unless really both are into each other, but that can complicate matters quite a bit even so).

Not sure I understand you Klaus...wouldn't that make the "straight" bloke bi-sexual then? Reminds me of a "straight" friend I had while in the service...he wasn't gay and pursued women left and right, but confessed to me how he had met two men in his life that he was attracted to...I think I wasn't one of them, I think.

Not to mention endless conversations regarding airline liveries and uniforms, corporate colours/logos, the aesthetics of flying machines...

Klaus

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 241):
I have not see it but I'll look it up (oh dear, I just outed myself as the only gay man in the Planet who DOESN'T listen to Lady Gaga!

Nope!   

I don't have anything specific against her, and I do appreciate some of her views and opinions, but her music just doesn't do anything for me.

Not sure I understand you Klaus...wouldn't that make the "straight" bloke bi-sexual then?

I'm just saying that friendship and attraction are completely different levels. If there's a mutual attraction between guys or girls who are friends, they obviously can't be (entirely) straight, of course.

Not to mention endless conversations regarding airline liveries and uniforms, corporate colours/logos, the aesthetics of flying machines...

I've got relatively little interest in these kinds of things... my interest in aviation is primarily technological. Goes to show that there's quite a variation in our motivations...   

MEA-707

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 pm

our use of "the D word" as they found it quite offensive

I am also still waiting for explanation, I can't think of any word in English with a D.

btw +1 in Amsterdam...
About 10 years ago Airliners.net was doubling as a dating site for me. Fell in love and had an affair with one (pity it didn't last) and made about 5 other nice gay friends all over the world.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

BAViscount

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 243):
our use of "the D word" as they found it quite offensive

I am also still waiting for explanation, I can't think of any word in English with a D.

I think kiwiandrew is referring to a word that could also describe something you have a lot of in the Netherlands...very close to the sea...stop the water getting in...!  
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

MEA-707

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 244):
I think kiwiandrew is referring to a word that could also describe something you have a lot of in the Netherlands...very close to the sea...stop the water getting in...!

Ahhh ! You mean dykes ! Nothing rude about that, noble things which save many lives in low lands. Confusing thing is, the Dutch equivalent would be Pot or Potten (pots) .... nothing to do with drugs but the same word used for flower or cooking pots. Both pot or dyke would be more for the short haired radical feminists of the late 1970s while current lipstick lesbo's (lesbians) can not relate to it.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

usxguy

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm looking to see if we have any homo EK inflight crews here... I'm working on a story but wasn't able to ask more "direct" questions about gay life in Emirates as the 1 FA who wanted to talk to me had others around him (I don't think he was out)... although he was bummed I was making a connection in JFK after our flight.

Your name won't be used.... PM me your e-mail... thanks!
xx

TSS

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 am

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 243):
About 10 years ago Airliners.net was doubling as a dating site for me. Fell in love and had an affair with one (pity it didn't last) and made about 5 other nice gay friends all over the world.

Okay, I gotta ask: How exactly did that work? Is there an extraordinary number of gay A-netters in the Netherlands, or do you travel to other places with some frequency?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!