Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

76794p
Topic Author

How Did You Find Out About A.net?

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:01 pm

I was at a coffee shop talking to a guy about airplanes and he said i should checkout a site called airliners.net, so i did but was turned off initially b/c i had to pay. Then about 2 years later i signed up as a photographer and then upgraded to premium about 2 1/2 years ago.
There's always money IN the banana stand.

Quokka

RE: How Did You Find Out About A.net?

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:19 pm

I was working with a guy who had a shared interest in travel and noticed a photo of a Garuda aircraft saved as a background on his PC at work. A few questions resulted in me visiting A.net and the rest is history, although it was a while before I finally signed up as a member.

Derico

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I was simply traipsing the internet, You know kids, I remember waaay back when we had to wait a whole three minutes just to access the internet! And two more minutes on average to load sites with image content like this one! Back then we had no google, we had magellan and lycos...

And we had to get HOME before participating on any online discussion. There was no forum for this and forum that, no on-the-go and no apps, no youtube... and the dearth of fellow human beings in this frontier was luculent: sometimes six hours would go by without a response, in the only extant forum at the time. You kids have it easy these days...

My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

jetblueguy22

Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:57 pm

I was looking for some pics of NW 757s and boom, it popped up. I thought it was awesome and demanded my parents lend me their credit card .
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

DALelite

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:00 pm

That was about 13 years ago. I was looking for Delta Pics and there i landed on the A.Net.
It took me then another two years until i became a Member.

cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

RGElectra80

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:02 pm

It's been too long. My    man memory doesn't remember at all. All I remember it was around 2004 or 2005 and I first signed up as a photographer thinking my overexposed pictures were hot stuff.
austinspotter.wordpress.com

B747forever

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:40 pm

It was back in 2006 when I searched for pictures of BA 747s because I would travel on BA to LAX that summer. A year later I signed up.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BAViscount

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):
A year later I signed up.

Ah yes, I remember it well!!  

Personally I was looking around for photos of airliners too and just stumbled across this site about 10 or 11 years ago. It was a while before I signed up, and even then I didn't do a lot, although I did post a few photos, one of which actually got accepted!

A couple of years later I got a new username and have been faffing around in the forums on and off ever since.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

B747forever

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 7):

Ah yes, I remember it well!!

Hehe. Yeah, I was way too active back then.
Work Hard, Fly Right

aloges

Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Personally I was looking around for photos of airliners too and just stumbled across this site about 10 or 11 years ago. It was a while before I signed up, and even then I didn't do a lot, although I did post a few photos, one of which actually got accepted!

My story is exactly the same! What are the odds? 

A couple of years later I got a new username and have been faffing around in the forums on and off ever since.

I returned with the same username I'd had before, but apart from that it's the same for me again.   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Newark727

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:18 pm

I was doing a picture of an airport for an art project, I needed a photo reference of an Airbus A320 or similar. Must have been a google image search that got me here. That was around 2007-8, I felt no need to join the community until more recently. Especially since I still have no useful technical or operational knowledge to contribute.

MadameConcorde

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:23 pm

I have been on Flyertalk for ages and PPRuNe for very long also, not to forget ConcordeSST forums where I've been a member for quite a while - All in other names. One aviation forum always leads to another. I was a lurker on A.net long before I joined.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

TupolevTu154

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:33 pm

I was on the phone to a friend who mentioned a website called "aeroplanes.com or something". After some searching and investigation, he then agreed that he meant airliners.net! That was back in 2003, I joined in 2004, and it has been my homepage ever since then!

This website, without a doubt, has changed my life. Without it I probably wouldn't have such a long lasting, deep rooted obsession for aviation. I wouldn't be in my current job, I wouldn't have gained photography qualifications, I wouldn't know several of my best friends (two of whom I met on this website, and now live with). The list goes on.

Very glad I stumbled across it! I was 13 when I joined, which is probably why it's had such an affect on who I am now.

Mike89406

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:14 pm

I was looking at the Internet one day and saw the caption about the A-380 making it's first historic flight from Germany-JFK. I looked around for more info and pics. Needless to say that one of the links was to A-Net which there was a thread live tracking the flight I got on the site surfed around and decided to become a member.

Regards, Mike

UltimateDelta

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:43 pm

I first found it while looking for a pic of the Virgin Global Flyer for a presentation for school. After about 3 years of browsing I finally signed up and upgraded to Premium not long afterwards...so here I am!
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ShyFlyer

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:53 pm

I discovered it by reading this thread.
I lift things up and put them down.

Brendan03

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Many lifetimes ago, I was a member on MSN Gaming Zone's Flight Simulator gaming lobbies.

In a discussion about the recent closure of Kai Tak, Someone posted a photo to one of the infamous shots of the notorious bad landings and I discovered the site.

I didn't really discover the forums or other features of the site until much later.
Coolier than thou.

KPDX

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 pm

I was looking at airplane photos and started exploring the website and voila. I surfed about 2-3 years before signing up.

LGWflyer

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:36 am

As a massive aviation fan (like everyone else here!     ) I was searching for pics of planes and airliners.net came up, this was about 2007 when I was at school. I then came to A.net quite often looking up all the fantastic pics and then last year I decided to have a look at the forums. I just loved reading all the posts and finding out about all the news (to be honest I like the forums better). This year in March I finally wanted to join A.net so I could go and speak to my fellow aviation nutters and well here I am and I don't regret a thing!  
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

kiwiinoz

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:06 am

A friend sent a joke email. Something to do with fear of flying. As part of the punchline it had attached that picture of the flipped Mandarin Airlines MD11 in Taipei. I noticed the watermark and had a look was hooked but didn't join for about 3 years. Must be about 8-10 years ago

Gyreaux130J

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:51 am

I discovered a.net about 2004 when I was bored in some class in high school. I have been lurking ever since. I only recently joined this summer.
When all else fails, fly Martin Baker!

N1120A

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:02 am

I belonged to an old list serv that may or may not exist anymore. There were links from time to time to photos on A.net, and I found the forums from there.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

T8KE0FF

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 am

Funnily enough, I remember it very clearly even though I must of been about 7 or 8. I was at school in one of the 'ICT' rooms and I googled 'airplane pictures' and up came airliners.net and I loved it! I didn't know back then what sort of planes I was looking at but I just loved looking at the different planes flying/taking off/landing etc etc. And from then onwards, I have had a massive love for Aviation. And airliners.net sparked that off for me, so thank you.  
RJ85 E145 E195 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 B787 DH4 AT72

deltamartin

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 am

When my interest in aviation began to grew, and I wondered something, I googled it, and I found myself directed to A.net almost every time, so I realized that this was the place to be! I lurked for a while and sooner or later I signed up myself.

EGGD

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:04 pm

I was reading accident descriptions on aviation-safety.net and there were links to pictures on Airliners.net from there. I got interested in the site from that, this was the late 1990's. Spent a good few years in the chatroom before 'upgrading' to the forums.

BAViscount

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 9):
I returned with the same username I'd had before, but apart from that it's the same for me again.

You're not stalking me are you??! 
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

ACDC8

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Guess I'm the odd duck here ... but I saw the add in a magazine, IIRC it was Airways. Lurked on and off for about a year and signed up.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

YVRLTN

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 pm

When I moved to Canada in 2005, my new colleague was also interested in planes. He used to check out a.net at lunch time - or whenever he was bored! He would inform me of the new orders and crashes etc. In the end, I started checking it out on a daily basis too and signed up just under a year later.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

olba

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 am

i was searching for pix of the AF crash in YYZ and found a.net. I became a member 5 years later

HSVXJ

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 am

It was 1998 and I was on the FAR airport website (why, I don't know) and they had a link to pictures of the airport. That link brought me here, where I browsed the photos and forums for a few years until just after 9/11 when I signed up. In 2004 or so, I finally got some photos on the site. Admittedly, they're not spectacular photos (I'm no professional photographer), but I was lucky enough to capture the first 9E CRJ in the new colors, so I got on.

In the last 13 years, when a lot of sites I've visited have come and gone, this is the one that I've most consistently visited.

Chris
Nature forms us for ourselves, not for others; to be, not to seem.

DeltaMD90

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:39 am

The only other friend that I had that like aviation showed it to me. I thought he was weird just looking up random pictures all the time. I also thought it was pointless playing Flight Sim. But a week later I was visiting this site a lot and was addicted to Flight Sim, go figure. Forgot how I found the forums, but it was awesome because I really didn't know too much about the aviation community, only big stuff I could see, like DL getting a new paint job or the DFW hub closed for example. And those cool planes were gone (the L1011, loved those things.) Wasn't gonna pay up and join until I saw a bunch of ridiculous posters posting their usual trash, and I wanted to join to argue with them. Guess I joined for the wrong reasons, but a.net gave me a global perspective on everything and changed a lot of my views. I owe this site a lot, just gotta learn to stop arguing with the trolls and pissing off the mods  

wilco737

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:18 am

To be honest, I cannot really remember. It is so long ago. I guess I browsed through the internet to look for some pictures of airplanes and then found this nice little website (back then it was little). It was still for free at that time. I entered the chat and there were a few guys who made fun of me - very unfriendly and I thought: What a weird place.
Nevertheless I checked out the pictures every once in a while. But it took several years until I signed up (June 2004)...

wilco737

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 am

Found it thru a picture search & realised there was a forum as well.....started out on the Tech/ops forum mainly & then gradually drifted along the entire site.
Membership at that time was non chargeable,so grandfather rights stayed.
Its been a long long time  
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)