1337Delta764
Topic Author

Smart Meter Conspiracy Theories

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 am

This week, Salt River Project will be installing one of their new smart meters at our house. I have been reading all these conspiracy theories about them, stating they emit 100 times more radiation than a cell phone, as well as claims that it is a government plot to monitor and control appliances. There have been some unsubstantiated reports of these causing cancer.

SRP claims that these meters emit only 1% of the radiation of a cell phone, and are not in continuous transmission all day. Furthermore, RF waves are non-ionizing, unlike X-rays or gamma rays.

So, I was wondering, does anyone here believe in these conspiracy theories about them?
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

DocLightning

RE: Smart Meter Conspiracy Theories

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:18 am

Do you know what my problem is? They want to install one, but I have to be home on a weekday for a four-hour period while it happens.

Well, gee, I'm sorry but I have to work for a living, so I guess you won't be installing one.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:28 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
Do you know what my problem is? They want to install one, but I have to be home on a weekday for a four-hour period while it happens.

Well, gee, I'm sorry but I have to work for a living, so I guess you won't be installing one.

That's odd, SRP says it will only take a few minutes and that nobody has to be home for its installation.

WildcatYXU

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 2):
That's odd, SRP says it will only take a few minutes and that nobody has to be home for its installation.

It indeed takes only few minutes. Nobody has to be at home, provided the meter is accessible. In our case it wasn't, because of the regulation fence. So I had to be home.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):

Well, I tried to say that to London Hydro. Their answer - a service discontinuation notice. Both water and hydro.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
I have been reading all these conspiracy theories about them, stating they emit 100 times more radiation than a cell phone

I doubt that, since the smart meters can use the power lines to transfer the signal.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
claims that it is a government plot to monitor and control appliances.

Control your appliances - definitely not.

Monitor your appliances - I doubt so.

Monitor your habits trough your power consumption - definitely possible.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

DocLightning

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:19 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 3):

Monitor your appliances - I doubt so.

How on earth could a device hooked to the main cable monitor individual appliances?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stasisLAX

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:30 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
How on earth could a device hooked to the main cable monitor individual appliances?

The peaks in energy usage show when someone is home - using the television, air conditioning, computer, and so on. So when the authorities know your home by your energy usage, they can send the preditor drone over for a look-see and bombing!   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

DocLightning

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 5):

The peaks in energy usage show when someone is home - using the television, air conditioning, computer, and so on. So when the authorities know your home by your energy usage, they can send the preditor drone over for a look-see and bombing!

Bring 'em on. Maybe I can hack them for free WiFi?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Okie

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 5):
The peaks in energy usage show when someone is home - using the television, air conditioning, computer, and so on. So when the authorities know your home by your energy usage, they can send the preditor drone over for a look-see and bombing

Several issues here, the main one that concerns me is that the grid is very easy to hack into and cause havoc since meters and substations can be operated off and on from someones laptop sitting at Starbucks.

Here in OKC we have the "smart grid" and you can buy power by Time of Use or Standard rates. Higher rates from 10am to 10pm. The main issue is that the cost of electricity is about 4 times the standard rate during peak with Time of Use.
I have not ever heard of anyone who has not dropped back to standard rates after giving it a try. When it is 109F outside it costs you 4 times the standard amount to run that "electricity alligator" during the day (it takes a lot of chickens for feed those electricity alligators).
The penalty is so high that you can run your A/C on standard rates cheaper. It is pretty silly to pay exorbitant electricity rates to sit in a 109F house.

Okie

seb146

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:25 am

I don't know about all the high cancer rates and such. However, when Pacific Gas & Electric installs "Smart Meters" around the Bay Area, those customers' rates skyrocket. Even when those customers use LESS power. The official response from PG&E: "That is impossible." The solution: Pay the bill. Even if it is twenty times what they had been paying for years. We say no to smart meters.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MD11Engineer

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 am

If it is using powerline data transfer (Powerline communications = PLC), it will indeed be a major source of HF radiation, though not at the level endangering health. But it will make shorwave reception pretty much useless within a radius of 1000 feet or so and you won´t makew yourself friends with radio amateurs or shortwave listeners.
Since the meters use the unshielded power wires to transmit the data back to the electricity company, these wires will act a huge antennas and radiate HF energy. They will act as broadband HF jammers.

Jan

[Edited 2012-02-14 21:32:49]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

yfbflyer

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm

The real conspiracy with "smart power meters" is the power company charging you more money for the same power.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting yfbflyer (Reply 10):
The real conspiracy with "smart power meters" is the power company charging you more money for the same power.

Of course, many of these reports are unsubstantiated. Many electric companies are allowing people to opt-out, but at a penalty surcharge.

seb146

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 11):
Many electric companies are allowing people to opt-out, but at a penalty surcharge.

That's what I think is the dumbest thing ever: People who put up a turbine and solar panels and go completely off the grid, yet they still have to pay monthly to (for us) PG&E to NOT be on the grid! That is really messed up about all this! What is the point of being self-sufficiant if you still have to pay for it???
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 pm

We just got our smart meter installed today, and haven't had any issues with radiation. Hopefully our electric bill doesn't go up only because of it. However, we installed a pool with a heater, and smart meter or not, it will still likely raise our electric bill.

DocLightning

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 13):
We just got our smart meter installed today, and haven't had any issues with radiation.

It takes AT LEAST three months for the extra limbs to start to grow.  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
It takes AT LEAST three months for the extra limbs to start to grow.

The RF waves from smart meters are non-ionizing, so that is impossible by the laws of physics.