EGGD
Topic Author

Woah! Didn't Know About These Concorde Orders!

Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:39 pm

Check this out!

http://aerotransport.free.fr/Lists/m7.html

That is crazy, I knew that some other airlines apart from BA and AF had ordered the Concorde, but not all of those!

Regards

Dan

fritzi

RE: Woah! Didn't Know About These Concorde Orders!

Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:08 am

These airlines cancelled their oreders because the raise in oil prices. (The concorde uses lots of fuel)

Fritzi

gf-a330

Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:55 am

I didn't either.

gf-a330

Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:56 am

But, then again I did.

Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:01 am

A great site for the Concorde is

http://www.concordesst.com

It lists these orders, but also includes an impression of what the Concorde would look like in Eastern, Iran Air, QANTAS, etc colours.

RoyalDutch

Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:40 am

Didn't a lot of people (in the US especially) put up big protest against concorde, saying it was too loud and polluting or something? I thought that was pretty stupid. Fuel prices were the main reason for the cancellations, though.

GDB

Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:08 am

It's worth remembering that these were never orders, just options.
Only BOAC and AF actually ordered, in 1972.
Pan-Am for example was allocated the 3rd production aircraft, to enable them to start services at the same time as the British and French airlines.
Actually, Pan-Am and TWA cancelled their options in Jan 1973, before the oil crisis.
They were both in financial trouble, having over-ordered 747's and not being able to fill enough of them.
Plus the cancellation of the B2707 in 1971 had led some US politcians to mutter threats about denying landing rights to Concorde.
A senior economic advisor to the Nixon administration told the press 'there's not a snowflakes chance in hell that Concorde will be allowed to land at US airports'.
Pan-Am and TWA were then very influencial airlines, along with the oil crisis and a general downturn in the airline industry, their actions sealed Concorde's fate on the market.

GDB

Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:28 am

Fired up by some pretty stupid scare stories in th press, there was a concerted effort to stop Concorde landing at JFK. In May 76, the US goverment allowed flights to IAD, but JFK was controlled by the Port Of New York.
JFK services started in Nov.77

ILS

Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:44 am

Big thumbs up

GDB

Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:53 am

Great pics, but where the hell would Eastern have used their Concordes, unless they thought they could operate supersonically overland in the US.
LH would have needed the proposed 'B' model, with a 15% range improvement for non-stop Frankfurt to JFK flights.
Shame Qantas cancelled, MEL-SIA-HKG could have worked, with some flights also going to Tokyo.

ILS

Tue Jan 08, 2002 5:55 am

Eastern would have the Concorde, but not operate it at supersonic speed. It kind of ruins the image of the Concorde.

OA412

Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:13 am

The Concorde (and other SSTs) was/were thought by many at the time to represent the future of air transport. In fact, many believed that the 747s ultimate role would be as a freighter with more freighter versions operating than passenger versions. Of course, a fuel crisis, enviromental concerns, and good old fashioned scare tactics intervened dooming the Concorde and other SSTs.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

gordonroxburgh

Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:16 am

ILS

The pictures look very like the ones on my Concordesst.com website.....

it is not too good doing this and linking to a set of images in page as my web-host does not like this and may remove the images from the server. It also uses up my bandwidth allocation.

Please feel free to link to the page, odd image but not all of them. A credit of where you got them would have been nice!!!

Gordon.

MAH4546

Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:21 am

GDB, domesticly, EAL would have probably operated them on thier MIA-JFK and MIA-LAX flights (and JFK-LAX, did they have that at the time?). It was originally thought that they could operate intra-US.
a.

ILS

Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:24 am

Gordon, I am VERY sorry. I will be more considerate in the future.  Big thumbs up

Crosswind

Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:50 am

Concorde did operate within the US.

British Airways used to co-coperate with Braniff operating the LHR-IAD-DFW route as an interchange, with Braniff crews operating the IAD-DFW-IAD sectors.
Unfortunately no BA aircraft ever carried the Braniff livery on one side in the same way that they did with Singapore Airlines.

While the flight had to remain subsonic, flying close to the soundbarrier would still save a significant amount of time on the DFW-IAD sector, and a lot of time overall on the DFW-LHR route compared to subsonic transport.

If Eastern had planned to use the Concorde up and down the East coast, they could easily have operated over the sea, the longer routing more than being offset by the M2.00 cruise this allows, but the same couldn't be said about the fuel costs!!!

Here's a photo of the dual British Airways/Singapore Airlines livery Concorde operating a Braniff flight at Dallas;

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Andrew Abshier

Regards
CROSSWIND

DeltaAir

Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:04 am

Delta also had orders or intentions.........I have seen a SST ad on Ebay by Delta outlining the new service and everything about it.

Tue Jan 08, 2002 8:13 am

WOW!!

I love the AA Astrojet livery!!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos