Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fxramper
Topic Author

What To Do In Disney World?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Going for a work conference and plan on hitting up Disney World on time off. Been to Disneyland 100+ times, but never Disney World. I heard Epcot rocks. Let me know what you liked and disliked. Is Animal Kingdom worth a visit?

3DoorsDown

RE: What To Do In Disney World?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 pm

DIsney World chicks.  

zippyjet

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:38 am

If you can get hold of a rental car, you are within an hour away from some nice Atlantic beaches. Coco, Daytona etc. Also if they still offer it do the Cape Canavaral tour. As you can tell I'm not a big theme park fan. However, Micky's kingdom has some kick ass fireworks displays. Hope this helps.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

AviRaider

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 pm

No one should ever go to Disney World for their first time without going to the Magic Kingdom. Now with that being said it's mirrored closely to Disneyland so you may really get bored with it but for me no visit to the World is ever complete without at least one visit to the Haunted Mansion. I think you definately need to do things that you can't do at the Land, such as Epcot and Hollywood Studios and maybe Animal Kingdom.

Epcot is awesome and really different from the traditional theme park. It's as much about education as it is entertaining. It blends the future and the present very nicely. Some of the World's top thrill rides are in this park not to mention it has the lion's share of top dinning in the World. My favorite must do rides in Epcot are Test-Track, Soarin', and Spaceship Earth (the ride inside the geo-desic sphere aka. the golfball), but the others are just as great. At the back end of the park around the lagoon are the different nations each with cultural, historical and gastronomical things to do; can't be missed. If I were you, I would plan on having dinner, with reservations of course, at one of the many fantastic restaraunts and then cap off the night by watching Illuminations held nightly in the lagoon.

Animal Kingdom is fun to stroll around in and get lost wandering and taking in the animals but if you want a theme park experience that is filled with rides and other activities then you may want to skip this park. However, Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom is an amazing thrill ride and worth the visit on it's own. This park definately runs at a slower pace and if you are that type, such as myself, it will be a good visit. Maybe get a Park Hopper pass and jump around as you want if you are into the rush-rush got to do as much as possible crowd, nothing wrong with that of course.

Disney World is insanely big, as a whole, and the parks are spread out, not to mention all the resorts and water parks, so don't go thinking you will get it all in, because no one ever does. Hope this helps, have fun!

TR763

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm

It's important to know how long you're going to stay there, because there are MANY things to do.

I agree with AviRaider about having dinner at one of the restaurants at the pavillions.
Two that I love are Chefs de France and Teppan Edo, in Japan.
Spaceship Earth is one of the best rides ever!
Epcot is a singular place! It has all this appeal to knowledge with the magic of Disney.

Hollywood Studios is also a great park, specially because of Rock'n Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith, the Tower of Terror and Fantasmic!, a great show if you like the Disney movies and its characters.

At the Magic Kingdom, the Wishes show prior the park closure is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. Try to watch it in front of the castle... It's stunning!

A stroll around Downtown Disney for shopping and having dinner is also nice. I like pretty much the Raglan Road Irish Pub, for a good beer, fish and chips and some traditional Irish music/dance.
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Been to Disneyland 100+ times

For the love of God, why?!?
But that was when I ruled the world

casinterest

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Quoting fxramper (Thread starter):
Going for a work conference and plan on hitting up Disney World on time off. Been to Disneyland 100+ times, but never Disney World. I heard Epcot rocks. Let me know what you liked and disliked. Is Animal Kingdom worth a visit?

epcot, and Hollywood are great, never been to Animal Kingdom,
However if the conf is in Orlando, might I suggest Universal Sudio's instead...... More rides and fun.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Ken777

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 pm

I've never been there without kids (or grandkids) so I haven't had the time I'd like at Epcot, but I've enjoyed every minute of my time there. I'd recommend being prepared to walk (stroll) a lot and to look at every thing you can.

Also plan on adding pound or two trying the food available.  Wow!

Bongodog1964

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:47 pm

Head up I drive from the conference centre and head to Universal instead. Citywalk provides adult entertainment, and both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios provide far better rides than Disney can offer.
Disney wet rides give you the impression you are going to get soaked, Universals leave you with water running out of the seat of your pants. Hulk, Forbidden Journey, Rip Ride Rockett, Duelling Dragons, Blutos barges, ripsaw falls, revenge of the mummy - what more do you want ?

Went to Epcot once, can best describe it as a good walk spoilt, whats the point of world showcase ? it might have felt good 25 years ago, but now its just tame.

Animal Kingdom, the Lion KIng show is good, I hear Expedition Everest is also good, nothing else would make me return, animals appeared doped.

On the other hand if you've been to Disneyland 100+ times you must believe fully in the invincibility of "the mouse"

9V-SVA

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 am

Epcot for sure. I'm not sure if Test Track has reopened from its renovations but that is a must-do (or so I've heard). Soarin' is really good but if you've been to Disneyland 100+ times you've probably been on it already. The World Showcase is still pretty fascinating though it is showing its age somewhat.

The main attraction in Animal Kingdom has to be the Kilmanjiro Safari (the area where the animals roam around can contain Magic Kingdom with parking to boot).

If you want to visit Hollywood Studios be sure to catch all the live-action performances such as Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones etc etc. That's the whole purpose of visiting that park in the first place  
9V-SVA | B772ER

flymia

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:17 am

Magic Kingdom is different than Disneyland but I think Disneyland is a lot better. EPCOT is great. Has some interesting rides and it is somewhat educational. Test track is fun and spaceship earth is awesome. Mission space is intense too. The countries are always interesting.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)