Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2707200X
Topic Author

Any Boom Of Trick Or Treators In Your Neighborhood

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:25 am

For the last couple of years I have seen an increase of trick-or-treators in my neighborhood, five or more years ago only a trickle about 8 to 12 treators came to my house up to last year about 50 treators came in total, no exaggerating and this year we have exhausted 5 bags of candy in one hour!!! I have not noticed an increase in families in my neighborhood in Long Beach and our candy is on par to what is regularly sold at Target, nothing particularly special, just bags of Snickers, Twix, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, M&M's, and some lolly pops, one piece per treater.

How is the trick-or-treating in your neighborhood and how has it varied in recent years?
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

WarRI1

RE: Any Boom Of Trick Or Treators In Your Neighborhood

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:33 am

We had a record night, the best in 46 years. We had 66, and finally ran out of candy. Our average has been about 25. We were amazed at the number, threatening rain, and yet they came out in force.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

bristolflyer

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:38 am

Had about 30 kids here in Louisville CO. We used to live in a nice neighborhood surrounded by not great neighborhoods in Phoenix and we would get inundated with trick or treaters - could easily give out 1,000 pieces of chocolate. Halloween usually represented one of the first nights in months when it would be cool enough to be outside.
Fortune favours the brave

Ken777

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:41 am

We had 40+ and they all came fast. We were almost out so I made a trip to Walgreens to resupply. I saw a group of about 20 kids and panicked. Bought 6 more bags instead of the planned 4 - and had 4 left over. (The big group didn't come down our street.)

At least I had the brains to buy candy that my wife likes so she is set for the next 6 to 12 months.

As for the kids - it's always a pleasure for grandparents like us.

Okie

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:44 am

I had 28 large bags total, several bags of each of the following.
M&M' plain, peanut, pretzel, peanut butter
Snickers peanut, almond
Twix
Reese's pieces
Tootsie Rolls
Crunch
Milky Way milk and dark chocolate. (Short a few of the dark chocolate ones, they have to be tested you know)
Dots

I would say at least 600 hob goblins and yes a few more than last year because I had to close up at 8:30p when I ran out of candy normally that would carry me through to a normal 9:00p shut down. 9:00p is usually good enough for a school night, next year it will be on a Friday so it will most likely run to 10:00p

Okie

[Edited 2013-10-31 19:47:57]

WarRI1

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:45 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 3):
At least I had the brains to buy candy that my wife likes so she is set for the next 6 to 12 months.

A wise man.

As for the kids - it's always a pleasure for grandparents like us.

It sure is a fun night to see and remember.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Maverick623

Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:11 am

My parents told me it was the busiest year since my sisters and I stopped trick-or-treating... and my youngest sister stopped 8 years ago.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:48 am

We probably had 30 over the course of the evening. One thing I've noticed is an increase of parents driving their kids into our neighborhood from areas further away, dropping them off like they're a strike team, then picking them up at the end of the block to drive them elsewhere. Somehow that strikes me as cheating since we'd never have dreamed of asking our folks to do that when I was a kid. Oh well, it's all in good fun I suppose.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

blueflyer

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:31 am

Totally the opposite in my Texan corner of the world, perhaps due to the threat of rain or storm. One of the quietest Halloweens I remember since moving to this neighborhood, and it goes both for trick-or-treaters and my neighbors, most houses were dark.

dragon-wings

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 am

Every Halloween we usually get 1 or 2 kids (and usually it's our next door neighbors) but this year we had 9 kids come by for candy.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ltbewr

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 am

I think in the Northeastern USA, from Virginia and north, a snow-ice storm in 2011 and Superstorm Sandy in 2012 meant a lot of pent up and delayed T&T here, so higher turnouts than in years.

Aeri28

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Here in Honolulu, I don't live in a neighborhood, but 'downtown' ish, but I was at Ala Moana Center this evening and several of the kids were in the mall dressed up and going from store to store. Kinda cute.

L-188

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Its been generally a few years since I have had trick or treaters.

We didn't have snowing the ground this year which makes the activity exponentially more dangerous.

Plus we now have a lot of community trick or treat towns and other events that are indoors.

I volunteer at one at the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry. Turn the lights down set up cobwebs on the old trains, truck and mining equipment and let the kids loose.

I was a pilot again this year but I forgot to order wings again and nobody would ring a bell do I would get my wi.......

Oh wait wrong holiday
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Dano1977

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Not many this year....

After I coated Brussel Sprouts in Chocolate last year   

Keep the beggars away!
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

rfields5421

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 pm

We were down to about 40 this year.

Past years have seen as many as 100 in 2007. Some of the kids in the neighborhood have entered teenage years and stopped. Haven't had enough replacement babies growing up.
Not all who wander are lost.

JAGflyer

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:56 pm

My street doesn't have too many young families. Most people on my street are either 1) Married, 50-60 year old couples with kids over 20 or 2) Retired couples or 3) Newcomers to Canada who don't live outside their ethnic group. The weather in my area was rainy/windy last night and I think I saw maybe 3 trick-or-treaters about 10 minutes from my house. No one came to my house as we kept all the lights off. My family has foregone giving out candy for the last few years as no one in the house trick or treats.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Aesma

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:15 am

A dozen groups of kids and since this is a recent importation (didn't exist when I was a kid, instead we would go flower our ancestors' tombs like is the tradition here) we always forget it's coming and had no candy so we played dead 

I'm surprised at reading about mostly chocolate stuff being given in the US, here candy is mainly sugary/gummy/chewy stuff, haribo, carambar, Malabar, Kréma Régal'ad...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams