Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Tugger
Topic Author

Melbourne AU For A Week, Any Must Do's/don't Do's?

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:53 pm

Going to be in Melbourne for a week coming up. Anyone have suggestions of things I must do or thing I must avoid? I will be with my wife so things "for two" are great but I will have a couple days to myself as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

ozglobal

RE: Melbourne AU For A Week, Any Must Do's/don't Do's?

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Do:

- Visit inner city arcades full of great little cafes catering to Melbourne's obsession with 'proper' coffee and good casual food
- Go to a few really good restaurants: check the Age good food guide / trip advisor carefully (and be prepared to shell out some bucks - the mining boom has done horrors to the the former good value food scene in Melbourne) - try Taxi at Fed Ssquare, Cumulus Inc, great asian in Flinders Lane, Lemon Grass, French Brasserie, etc
- Check out bars along Flinders lane, Federation Square, and CBD in general; try also Brunswick St, Fitzroy and Swann st and Bridge rd in Richmond
- Fitzory St and Acland Sts in St KIlda and walk the pier
- Roam the botanical gardens and along the Yarra River
- Day trip to Yarra Valley wineries (for meals with wine, not just tastings)
- Dandenong mountains - walk some trails in the temperate rain forest and visit some tea rooms or ride the steam train
- Great Ocean road - 1 day to 3 days depending on your program - Stop at Lorne and/or Pt Piery
- Cape Otway National Park - Walk through dense wild coastal rainforest
- Jazz at Bennett's Lane (in Bennett's Lane) CBD
- Drink : Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir or Cold Stream Pinot Noir (watch out for some of the others)
- Eat some really spicy Asian food in a recommended place

Don't :

- Tip 20% (0-10 if you tip, as service is included)
- Take offence at backhanded humour - Australians expect you to laugh at yourself; you can do the same to them
- Make endless comparisons to "back home" (enjoy the difference)
- Feel you need to defend US foreign policy if it comes up (you didn't make it)
- Drink bad wine (no excuse; too much good stuff on offer)

[Edited 2013-11-14 12:57:21]
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Tugger
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:03 am

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 1):

Awesome! Thank you very much Oz! That is exactly what I was needing. I had seen the Yarra day trip
among other things as an option but wasn't sure how good it would be and so it inspired me to ask the question here. Your mentions should keep us plenty busy.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

rwy04lga

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 pm

About a 3 hour drive to the SW, near Port Campbell National Park, is the 'Twelve Apostles'. Google it.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

sw733

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Melbourne is just about my favorite city in the world. I am lucky enough to get there multiple times each year, and love it more each time.

OzGlobal has some good suggestions, and I largely agree with them.

Are you a beer lover? If so, hop a tram and go north of CBD to either of these places:

The Alehouse Project
Great Northern Hotel

xjramper

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Take a gander at yTravel Blog Facebook. Friend of mine who worked here in the states for a while now lives back in AU and is traveling with his wife and two kids and just finished MEL a week or two ago. A lot of great stuff on their blog as well.

Enjoy it.  
Look ma' no hands!

StarAC17

Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:18 am

Some info on tours you can do for a few things if you are willing to pay for them and take out the work.

Dandenong mountains - walk some trails in the temperate rain forest and visit some tea rooms or ride the steam train

The Steam train is Puffing Billy and the website is http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/

Simply grab the a train on the Belgrave line and Puffing Billy is a 5 minute walk.

Great Ocean road - 1 day to 3 days depending on your program - Stop at Lorne and/or Pt Piery

A good day trip for the Great Ocean Road that I recommend is Go West Tours.

http://www.gowest.com.au/our-tours/great-ocean-road-day-tour

It gets you to the Apostles and back in one day and gives you some cheeky Aussie humour as well as tells you things about the Great Ocean Road you probably don't know. The London Bridge story is hilarious.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

fridgmus

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 am

Hey Tugg,

I don't know if you're into motorcycles, but I rode the whole Great Ocean Road back in May 2008. It was just beautiful, you just cannot beat the scenery. Australia was made for motorcycles! Anyway, there are at least two helicopter tour operators that I know of that are right on the GOR. Yeah, they might be a bit pricey, but they are the ultimate way to see the 12 Apostles. It's most definitely worth it. It will take your breath away. The operator I went with had video cameras mounted on several places both inside and outside the helicopter and will offer YOUR TOUR as a DVD. Not to mention that they are eroding as well. See them while they're still pretty big!

Let us know how your trip goes.

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

mariner

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:14 am

If you want to see some Australian wildlife - and the birds are wonderful - there's the Melbourne Zoo, in town:

http://www.zoo.org.au/melbourne

But it is a pleasant drive to Healesville, in the Yarra Ranges, which is an Australian wildlife sanctuary:

http://www.zoo.org.au/healesville

mariner
aeternum nauta

QANTAS077

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:49 am

head down to Portsea back beach & Sorrento, Philip Island is also a must do.

for dinner it depends on your taste, for Italian, avoid Lygon St, it's rubbish!

best places to eat are the little laneway restaurants like Movida, Pelligrini, Bistro Vue, Block Arcade and places that are off the beaten track.

it's a wonderful city and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

if you head up to Dandenongs then you must go to the Rhododendron gardens which are free and absolutely amazing!

NAV20

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 am

Ballarat is worth a visit. Not much over an hour's drive from Melbourne. The residents have been careful to preserve many of the historic buildings and it gives a very good impression of what goldfield towns used to look like last century - indeed, you can still go down a goldmine if you like - though it doesn't produce much of the stuff now.

Has a pretty interesting history in other respects, too - Ballarat was the centre of the nearest thing Australia ever had to a rebellion - there's a replica of the "Eureka Stockade' there, and every day some 'redcoats' line up on the main street and fire off a couple of volleys from 'Brown Bess' flintlock muskets - thankfully blanks nowadays...........

http://visitballarat.com.au/things-to-do/play/attractions.aspx
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

melpax

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Head to Box Hill for some Asian food - a lot of fantastic Chinese, Korean & Vietnamese restaurants that are much better, and cheaper than the Chinatown tourist traps.

Some old favorites;

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/76056...id-Camy-Noodle-Restaurant-Box-Hill

http://www.tiendat.com.au/

http://www.indochinerestaurant.com.au/

If you want to check out the Yarra Valley wineries, much better to join a tour than drive - heavy enforcement of drink-driving here, and it doesn't take much wine to be over the limit.....

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 9):
best places to eat are the little laneway restaurants like Movida, Pelligrini, Bistro Vue, Block Arcade and places that are off the beaten track.

Pellegrini's is a great late night stop - fantastic coffee & pasta, no pretension whatsoever. Degraves St is also a popular foodie lane.

Have a couple of beers with 'Chloe' at Young & Jackson's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_and_Jackson_Hotel
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

CXB77L

Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:29 pm

And if you're a Bond fan, the James Bond exhibition is on at the Melbourne Museum: http://designing007melbourne.com/
Boeing 777 fanboy

bookishaviator

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:10 am

The National Gallery of Victoria is putting on the 'Melbourne Now' exhibition starting Nov 22, which has the potential to be awesome... if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/e...ibitions/exhibitions/melbourne-now

Quote:
The exhibition will represent Melbourne as a dynamic centre for the production of, debate about, and participation in contemporary art, architecture, design and performance - innovative creative practice in all its forms. Melbourne Now will encompass an ambitious program with well over 300 artists and projects.
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

ac888yow

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Take your wife to Brunetti for great coffee and stunning desserts/pastries. They also have hot/cold food options that looked quite appetizing, although I never tried any of those.

They have numerous locations, however, when I was there I went to:

Brunetti Carlton
380 Lygon street
Carlton Vic 3053
Australia

QANTAS077

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Quoting ac888yow (Reply 14):
Take your wife to Brunetti for great coffee and stunning desserts/pastries.

absolutely NOT, Brunetti is vastly overrated and overpriced! I never take anyone there...better off down in Ackland St, St Kilda, where they have 100 years of dessert making experience and don't charge ridiculous prices.

Le Petit Gateau in Little Collins St is a far better option!

melpax

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 am

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 15):
absolutely NOT, Brunetti is vastly overrated and overpriced! I never take anyone there...better off down in Ackland St, St Kilda, where they have 100 years of dessert making experience and don't charge ridiculous prices.

Le Petit Gateau in Little Collins St is a far better option!

Brunetti's is an overpriced tourist trap these days

This place has just opened in the ground floor of the building I work in - fantastic coffee & food, nearly all of the staff are Italian. Not the cheapest but their quality is top-notch.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......