Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

rootsair

RE: Venezuelan President Threatens Foreign Carriers!

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:42 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 13):
His government is running all of the country's businesses into the ground, and then when they put up prices or cut services he claims its part of some sort of worldwide conspiracy against Venezuela and it's so-called "revolution". Presumably he will be soon order Conviasa to take over all of the foreign airlines' routes with its flying scrapyard.

Nicolas Maduro is a silly ex truck rider with no intelligence whatsoever and will ALWAYS give conspiracy theories as an excuse. Ok I'm done talking politics but its just incredible how such an oil wealthy country suffers from a cut in basic needs.
My experience at CCS was traumatising, the anti drug angents are the rudest people ever and I even feared he'd find any sort of excuse to "send me to jail so he could have a bonus" just the way he told me.
A reason less to travel to CCS again .
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

lightsaber

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 37):

Reminds me of Nigeria in early 1980s.

They had quite similar issues and were forcing airlines to sell tickets in the worthless local currency and also had huge sums of hard currency locked up.

Basically Nigerian government told airlines they would receive zero money if they pulled out and opted to wage a political or economic war on the nation.

That it does, but no guarantee for a happy ending.

Quoting par13del (Reply 41):
Threats by government officials are only amusing until they implement something, and they always implement something, then the laughter stops.

And the crying begins...

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 50):
My experience at CCS was traumatising, the anti drug angents are the rudest people ever and I even feared he'd find any sort of excuse to "send me to jail so he could have a bonus" just the way he told me.
A reason less to travel to CCS again .

Unfortunately, it will get worse as those in power try to hold on. They won't... but they will try...

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 49):
What is happening in Venezuela is theft by the government. They Keep foreign monies, they violate bi-lateral Agreements and they threaten and ridicule the carriers when they cancel flights or stop serving the Country altogether.

Quoting luisde8cd (Reply 47):
Air Canada has just suspended operations to/from CCS.

And it continues...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

SA7700

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:55 am

As there are some political related content in this thread, which are not entirely civil aviation related, I’m moving it over to the non-aviation forum. Please feel free to continue your discussion there.

Thanks and regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Okie

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:36 am

Maduro opened up a scheme today to allow the Bolivar to float.
It seems that it will only pertain to certain transactions but the Bolivar is trading at about a 88% devaluation rate.
The official rate is 6.3 the trading rate was 57-58 which is lower than the black market rate of near 80 this year.

We will see if this does much to stabilize the economy.

I am afraid the piecemeal approach will not help much but may provide enough USD for Venezuela to buy goods (like food) and services from other countries.
I did not see any comment on repatriating foreign airlines their monies.

Okie

varigb707

Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:22 am

that's typical from a dictator such as Maduro. If his threats succeed, I wouldn't be surprised if other dictators, the likes of Rousseff from Brazil, started doing the same.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.