Alarm clock
   Sat navs
   Remotes
   Medical equipment
   Portable gaming machines
   Wallets
   Taxi meters

My thoughts:
   Why didn't they mention the book? I sure buy less of them since I've had a smartphone and a tablet.
   Sat nav was the tipping point for me getting a smartphone. I was looking at the various stand alone sat navs and realized I'd never be happy with something that had static maps, or no live traffic updates, or wanted me to pay for a 2nd data plan just for live maps and traffic
   After the sat nav, not ever buying another iPod was the next strongly convincing factor
   I still keep buying higher-end point and shoot cameras (i.e. 10x or better telescoping optical zoom but still fits in shirt pocket) because camera phones just don't cut it especially in low light situations. Don't ever expect to see me holding a tablet in the air to take a picture, just not gonna happen, way too dorky. My next P&S probably will be the last one I every buy (only because current one doesn't have wireless), and then after that I might be on to a DSLR.
   No plan to use my phone as a wallet, medical equipment or a remote, those things still seem to need to be standalone items as far as I'm concerned. No banking apps on my phone, I just don't want the worries.
   I'm surprised I haven't found games that interest me on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3) or tablet (Google Nexus 7). If anything, I find myself playing a good old fashioned game of Solitare

What are your thoughts?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

1337Delta764

RE: Everyday Devices Killed Off By The Smartphone

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:36 am

Quoting Revelation (Thread starter):
Sat navs

For GPS, I still prefer a dedicated GPS unit, since most smartphone GPS apps (including Google Maps) use online maps, which consumes data. Dedicated GPS units use maps stored on the device itself, and you never have to worry about data overages unlike with a smartphone. Not everybody has unlimited data plans, and the big two carriers (Verizon and AT&T) have done away with them.

[Edited 2014-08-06 19:38:15]

n229nw

Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:59 am

No way the phone replaces my iPod...until they get a phone that can store 200GB of music easily...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

IMissPiedmont

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:10 am

A smartphone will never truly replace anything, there are those of us out here that won't pay $100 pet month for a toy that is really useless.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

flymia

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:48 am

Human brain memories. Man when I was 8-10 years old I remembered all my friends phone numbers, family etc.. Now, I know maybe 5-6 numbers. It is pathetic.

I still use a camera when traveling, it takes better pictures and my phone battery won't last long enough for the amount of pictures I take, especially at the airport.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

PhilBy

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:39 am

My phone is waterproof, shock proof and if lost or damaged no big deal. I don't see much benefit in a smartphone.

Sat nav was the tipping point for me getting a smartphone. I was looking at the various stand alone sat navs and realized I'd never be happy with something that had static maps, or no live traffic updates, or wanted me to pay for a 2nd data plan just for live maps and traffic

As my stand-alone was getting obsolete I recently picked up in the sales for less than $100 a unit with live traffic update and free map updates for life.

Quoting flymia (Reply 4):
I still use a camera when traveling, it takes better pictures and my phone battery won't last long enough for the amount of pictures I take,

And no smart-phone will ever replace that look on peoples faces when, after 1000m ascent up a snow covered mountain you reach into your pack and extract a Mamiya RB67. Now that gives quality pictures (but not much good for aircraft).

I'm surprised I haven't found games that interest me on my smartphone

Mmm, Doom/hitman on a 2.5inch screen. That adds a whole new level of challenge.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:00 am

You can probably add a compass to that list. And more recently, flashlights.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Stealthz

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 am

For me..
The mobile phone-- IT IS a mobile phone
The point-and-shoot camera- Sometimes for convenience, but still use for the versatility and quality a higher end P&S most days
The Walkman and the iPod- Never had an iPod but certainly use my Experia as a music player
Dictaphones- Not sure I have the need, does bring back memories of an old joke tho
Cheap computers- Sometimes use for limited spreadsheets and docs but hardly replaces the computer
Portable TV- has the potential but rarely watch TV on the move
Pocket calculator- Yes- But have a HP12C app so works just the same
Watch- No
Alarm clock- Yes
Sat navs - Yes when walking around unfamiliar places but in the car prefer dedicated GPS
Remotes - No real need
Medical equipment- No but the potential for some health monitoring is there so maybe one day(but not to the exclusion of dedicated equipment.)
Portable gaming machines- Not a game player!
Wallets= NO
Taxi meters - Don't use taxis much
Books= Prefer having a real book but can see the use to cut down weight and volume when travelling
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 1):
Dedicated GPS units use maps stored on the device itself, and you never have to worry about data overages unlike with a smartphone.

I think some of the paid versions of apps (Tom-tom?) mostly use maps stored on the phone, and allows you to pre-load maps for a trip using wifi. The older standalone units also didn't auto-update so you ended up with bogus maps pretty quickly.

Not everybody has unlimited data plans, and the big two carriers (Verizon and AT&T) have done away with them.

I'm on Verizon and never did bother with the unlimited plan and never do hit my limit. I just avoid big data consumers when I'm not on wifi.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 2):
No way the phone replaces my iPod...until they get a phone that can store 200GB of music easily...

200GB? Wow. I use something like 40GB which is held on a 64GB micro-sd card on my S3. I can't imagine needing 200GB. There's countless albums and many never get a spin any more and could easily be deleted. Given I'm in less than pristine listening conditions I'm ok with MP3s versus FLAC/lossless formats so I really don't rifle through storage.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 3):
A smartphone will never truly replace anything, there are those of us out here that won't pay $100 pet month for a toy that is really useless.

Useless? Baloney! Perhaps not a necessity for survival, but far from useless. As above, mine is my sat nav, my mp3 player, my e-book reader, my portable radio/tv and my phone every day, and gets used for a lot more on less frequent occasions. Also settles all manner of bar room bets!  
Human brain memories. Man when I was 8-10 years old I remembered all my friends phone numbers, family etc.. Now, I know maybe 5-6 numbers. It is pathetic.

Interesting. Before my first smartphone I was already rocking a Palm Pilot to carry my addresses with me every place I went. I was sick of the old practice of carrying a written book and then having to rewrite it all when it got too full or messy. I remember phone numbers from my childhood but haven't bothered to commit one to memory in decades.

I still use a camera when traveling, it takes better pictures and my phone battery won't last long enough for the amount of pictures I take, especially at the airport.

Agree, but one of the more disappointing things is the battery life of my camera especially when powered off. My old one used to take AA cells and I could stock up on ones that could keep a charge (eneloop?) for tremendous periots of time when powered off. The current camera has proprietary cells and haven't been able to find decent ones. The camera vendors care only for snapshots per charge not how the thing keeps its charge when it is stored, so I'm always finding it dies after a few dozen shots and that I should have recharged ahead of time.

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 5):
As my stand-alone was getting obsolete I recently picked up in the sales for less than $100 a unit with live traffic update and free map updates for life.

Glad you could find such a thing. I might not have bought a smartphone if I had!

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 6):

And magnifying glasses. I also find the camera useful at work for taking snapshots of broken techie things that I can then email to prove to others that they really do need to deal with various problems.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 7):
hardly replaces the computer

I agree. They are great when you are mostly consuming media (like surfing the web) but not when you are producing media. This is being typed on my laptop, not my tablet.

Actually I find surfing a.net forums on the tablet to be a much worse experience than on a laptop. I doubt I'm alone on that.

Stealthz

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
Also settles all manner of bar room bets!

Likely the worst "benefit" of a smartphone... there was a time where an interesting question would lead to a lively discussion.. perhaps a vigorous argument that would last through many rounds of drinks and much of the evening.
Now within moments some douchebag will whip out their phone (actually they will likely be the type that already has it in their hand!) and google the question then act like the world's smartest person.
A great discussion and fun night destroyed in minutes!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:33 pm

I don't know about that. I've found that whipping out the smart phone might settle the bet, but almost always raises another aspect of the situation that generates a new set of conversations. Personally I'd rather keep moving on with the benefit of facts instead of wallowing in a long conversation based on people's crap memories and convictions.

Airstud

Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 pm

For a time in the 1990s, communication between laptops (and some briefly popular PDA's) took place via infrared.

I want ALL inter-device communication to take place that way.

IRda forever!!
Pancakes are delicious.

nighthawk

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:57 pm

For GPS, I still prefer a dedicated GPS unit, since most smartphone GPS apps (including Google Maps) use online maps, which consumes data. Dedicated GPS units use maps stored on the device itself, and you never have to worry about data overages unlike with a smartphone. Not everybody has unlimited data plans, and the big two carriers (Verizon and AT&T) have done away with them.

In the latest version of google maps you can save an area for offline use.

desertjets

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Interesting. Before my first smartphone I was already rocking a Palm Pilot to carry my addresses with me every place I went. I was sick of the old practice of carrying a written book and then having to rewrite it all when it got too full or messy. I remember phone numbers from my childhood but haven't bothered to commit one to memory in decades.

This is so true. I still remember the phone number from when I was a kid, but don't ask me what my parent's current phone number is.

But for the most part I think the list is completely accurate. And I know that some people will say a single device can't do all those things well. BUT it seems that any current generation, not bargain basement, smartphone does most of those tasks fairly well. I think that is pretty damn amazing.

Quoting PhilBy (Reply 5):
And no smart-phone will ever replace that look on peoples faces when, after 1000m ascent up a snow covered mountain you reach into your pack and extract a Mamiya RB67. Now that gives quality pictures (but not much good for aircraft).

And the market has clearly shown that smartphones are not replacing higher end cameras. Point and shoots are ultimately dieing a slow death. But higher end cameras like DSLRs and your expensive medium format film camera continue to have demand because the teeny tiny lens on an iPhone cannot do what those cameras can.

I think if my P&S digital camera ever dies (a nice little Canon) I don't think I would go out and directly replace it.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

dtw2hyd

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:29 pm

I think some of the paid versions of apps (Tom-tom?) mostly use maps stored on the phone, and allows you to pre-load maps for a trip using wifi. The older standalone units also didn't auto-update so you ended up with bogus maps pretty quickly.

TomTom takes about 1.5Gb space but stores all maps on the device. Couple of years back it was $49. They are giving free map/software updates every six months.

Works well even in remote areas with spotty/no data connection. It drains the battery and device gets very hot. As long as you have charger plugged in, you are good.
All posts are just opinions.

zckls04

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Not a device as such, but the worst thing killed off by the smartphone is arguments in pubs. Ready access to wikipedia has destroyed arguments about pointless facts, since you can just look them up.
Four Granavox Turbines!

klm672

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Destroyed human communication. Look at a group of friends. They'll all have their head down with their phones.

PHLBOS

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:22 pm

Quoting klm672 (Reply 16):
Destroyed human communication. Look at a group of friends. They'll all have their head down with their phones.

A friend of mine even saw such in a waiting room at work.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

jetblueguy22

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Do you really need to access 200GB of music at any time? I just did a 24 hours drive and none of my music repeated. And thats on a 16GB iPhone

I wouldn't really call it useless. It's a good way to keep in touch and it allows some flexibility. My stepdad was anti smartphone until his work make him get an iPhone. He just admitted that he's more productive than ever. Plus it's nice when he's somewhere sketchy overseas and can shoot a message home letting us know what he's up to.

I'm a techie, but I just don't trust the iPhone compass. Just something about it. Give me a regular compass anyday. But a flashlight. Probably one of the most used things on my phone!

I'm on Verizon and never did bother with the unlimited plan and never do hit my limit. I just avoid big data consumers when I'm not on wifi.

I avoided an upgrade for a while because I didn't want to dump my unlimited. I was scared I would go over. But I'm a heavy user and I still don't go over my 2GB. Wifi is everywhere these days. It's easy to almost always be on wifi.

This is my biggest gripe. We have a rule in my apartment. If we are all sitting down to share a meal the phones are banned. Loser has to do dishes and pay next time we all get together. If we are out eating the phones are away or you buy the next round of beers.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Major things my smartphone has supplanted:

-Crossword books - this is probably the single biggest positive. Now if I'm bored somewhere, like in the waiting room at the dentist, I can just pull out my phone and do crosswords. Not having to bring a crossword book on a flight with me is quite nice.
-Alarm Clock
-Pocket Calculator

That's really about it. I still use my point-and-shoot now and then, as it takes better photos than my phone (despite being ~6 years older). And obviously there's no comparison with my DSLR.

Medical equipment

Huh?

Hasn't replaced my iPod either. Kinda funny, cause I have an iPod Touch and an iPhone. People inevitably say "hey, why do you have two iPhones?"

The reason I still have the iPod is I didn't want to pay for a 32GB iPhone. The iPod basically stays in my car.

Quoting IMissPiedmont (Reply 3):

Care to elaborate? Why is it a "toy that is really useless"? I think it's as useless or useful as you make it.

In a way, yes. But this started long before the mobile phone:

Telegraph / telephone - hey, we don't need to meet face-to-face anymore or wait days for snail mail!
Email / IM - hey, we don't even need to talk anymore!

The simple fact is that any method of communication that doesn't involve face-to-face interaction causes something to be lost. It didn't start with cellphones.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 19):
Medical equipment

Huh?

The claim is that attachments for measuring blood glucose levels for diabetics and cholesterol for people at risk of heart disease are coming or already here. I also saw that some phones have built-in heart rate monitors.

The reason I still have the iPod is I didn't want to pay for a 32GB iPhone. The iPod basically stays in my car.

The way to avoid paying for a 32 GB iPhone is to buy a phone that has a micro SD slot. It was the main reason I went for the Galaxy S3 over the iPhone two years ago.

I also have a iPod that stays in my car. Its an old 20 GB hard disk based unit. I almost never update the music on it any more. I can't be bothered.

The simple fact is that any method of communication that doesn't involve face-to-face interaction causes something to be lost.

And something gained. The reason people use non-person-to-person communication is that they find the remote person they are interacting with to be more interesting than the ones in the room with them.

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
The claim is that attachments for measuring blood glucose levels for diabetics and cholesterol for people at risk of heart disease are coming or already here. I also saw that some phones have built-in heart rate monitors.

Oh, OK. Do personal monitors like that have to be FDA approved, or is there some disclaimer that says "do not use this to actually measure anything" or some such?

The way to avoid paying for a 32 GB iPhone is to buy a phone that has a micro SD slot. It was the main reason I went for the Galaxy S3 over the iPhone two years ago.

I suppose. But I was already using iTunes and an iPod, and just went with something familiar. Since I already had the iPod, I didn't need the 32GB iPhone anyway. I'm not exactly a power user of smartphones or anything, so familiarity is generally more important to me.

And something gained. The reason people use non-person-to-person communication is that they find the remote person they are interacting with to be more interesting than the ones in the room with them.

There's certainly something gained. But I'd say that something is ease and speed of communication. I don't necessarily classify your second sentence as "something gained". It's more like "something substituted".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Revelation
Topic Author

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:33 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 21):
I don't necessarily classify your second sentence as "something gained". It's more like "something substituted".

The way I'm looking at it, if the live interaction was more compelling, that is what would be happening. Since it is not happening, the people are making the decision that they gain more via the remote interaction. Others may feel differently.

Of all the words I'd chose to describe this, I wouldn't chose substitution. Either they are correctly making the decision that the remote interaction is more compelling because they enjoy it more, or they are incorrectly making the decision that the remote interaction is more compelling because in doing so they are missing the opportunity to develop/improve person to person interaction skills, so I don't see how it's a substitution.

n229nw

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:56 pm

200GB? Wow. I use something like 40GB which is held on a 64GB micro-sd card on my S3. I can't imagine needing 200GB. There's countless albums and many never get a spin any more and could easily be deleted. Given I'm in less than pristine listening conditions I'm ok with MP3s versus FLAC/lossless formats so I really don't rifle through storage.

Mine is lossy (mp3 and some aac) too, but I have a lot of music.

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 18):
Do you really need to access 200GB of music at any time? I just did a 24 hours drive and none of my music repeated. And thats on a 16GB iPhone

Well, of course I don't need it all at the same time, but for me the whole point of having the music in digital format is so that I don't have to think to much about what I am going to want to listen to when, and can choose things on the spur of the moment. I certainly don't want to spend a lot of time transferring music back and forth, thinking ahead about what I might want/need at any specific time for a specific trip/time, etc. It's already annoying that my 160GB ipod is full and I've had to leave a bunch of stuff off...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

falstaff

Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Watch

I still like a actual watch

Alarm clock

I still like a regular clock most of the time. I need something with BIG numbers I can see without my glasses on

Wallets

I don't see it replacing my wallet. Where would I keep my cash, drivers license, dental floss and other odds and ends I have in my wallet.

Taxi meters

I ride in a fair amount of cabs and have yet to see a smart phone used for a meter.

Man when I was 8-10 years old I remembered all my friends phone numbers, family etc.. Now, I know maybe 5-6 numbers. It is pathetic

I still remember phone numbers to friend's houses from decades ago. I still remember my childhood phone number; 303-690-3767.

And more recently, flashlights.

I don't really like the phone light. They draw a lot of power and aren't all that heavy duty. A mechanic needs a light that can take abuse, and a smart phone doesn't to that.

Quoting desertjets (Reply 13):
but don't ask me what my parent's current phone number is.

My parent's land line is so simple most people think it is made up. They get call from collection agencies all the time looking for various people who just made up a quick number to put on a credit application. When I was in school I would give girls my parent's number and they thought I was blowing them off; 576-5555.

Why didn't they mention the book?

My students and I use our phone to look up service information for cars and trucks. Twenty years ago I was looking info up in service manuals or on microfilm. Then I moved on to CD-ROM. Then an online subscription manual that I could print and take to the work area. Today we just set our phones and tablets on the cars and work straight from the manual. No more shelves full of manuals.

The point-and-shoot camera

I would say the cheap point and shoot. There are plenty of good ones. My Leica and Sony PAS cameras blow away my phone. The Leica has less megapixels than my phone, but it is better in low light and action. With landscape shot in good light the phone is great, but anything beyond that it isn't that great.

Something else smart phones and tablets will kill is automotive scan tools. I have a basic scan tool that works with the blue tooth on my phone. It is good for most things; it reads codes and I can view sensor/actuator data. It cost less than a 10th of my most recent scan tool (before I optioned it up). I would imagine in a couple of years I will be able to due everything my best scan tool can do from my phone.

I have already seen alignment software on tablets. Of course you still will needs the rack and tools, but the need for a super fancy desktop computer for alignments is over.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

KaiGywer

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 18):
I avoided an upgrade for a while because I didn't want to dump my unlimited. I was scared I would go over. But I'm a heavy user and I still don't go over my 2GB. Wifi is everywhere these days. It's easy to almost always be on wifi.

I just checked my phone bill to see how much damage I've done while overseas and happened to see that my wife used 5.5 GB last month and I used about 2.5GB... Good thing we have 10GB between us

Quoting falstaff (Reply 24):
I still remember phone numbers to friend's houses from decades ago. I still remember my childhood phone number; 303-690-3767.

I'm not so sure the Antonelli family appreciated that post  
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

bohica

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:33 am

The mobile phone

You mean a smartphone isn't a mobile phone?  
The point-and-shoot camera

My point-and-shoot camera has many more capabilities than my smartphone. Also my camera is better suited if I am going to take a large number of pictures. My smartphone does take good picture I admit, and it's handy to have if I need to take a picture at a moment's notice.

Watch

I prefer a watch. I've worn wrist watches my entire life. I would feel naked without one.

Alarm clock

If you wake up in the middle of the night you cant tell what time it is without reaching for the smartphone on the nightstand and turning it on to see what time it is. With an alarm clock all you have to do is look at it to see what time it is. When the alarm sounds in the morning, all I have to do is reach for the big snooze bar on top of it and roll back over to get another nine minutes of sleep. (Repeat as necessary.) It's not as easy to do with a smartphone. Alarms come in handy on smartphones if I am traveling. I do not trust hotel alarm clocks and some hotel wake-up calls are not reliable.

Sat navs

I do a lot of driving and i have found that a $100 Tom-Tom windshield mounted unit is much more convenient than trying to use my smartphone for navigation. Also my Tom-Tom unit warns me when I approach intersections with red light cameras.  

Klaus

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Never happens in my circle of friends (and we all have smartphones).
You're probably looking at the wrong groups of people.

jetblueguy22

Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:52 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):
You're probably looking at the wrong groups of people.

It may not happen in your group of friends. But it for sure happens quite a bit in the teen-20s crew. If you walk into a dining hall at my university you're surrounded by kids having lunch with their friends, while on their phones tweeting and texting their other friends.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

mad99

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):

i'd say communication has increased with friends and family.

I got a message last night from a friend visiting a city i was in a few months ago asking for a name aof a place he wanted to visit.

Family group chants sending pics and vid almost non-stop over wifi. More moments shared from different countries!

N1120A

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 25):
I just checked my phone bill to see how much damage I've done while overseas and happened to see that my wife used 5.5 GB last month and I used about 2.5GB... Good thing we have 10GB between us

Who needs limits? Hence T-Mobile.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

1337Delta764

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
Who needs limits? Hence T-Mobile.

Yet with T-Mobile, you sacrifice coverage. I'm sticking with AT&T.

N1120A

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 31):

Yet with T-Mobile, you sacrifice coverage. I'm sticking with AT&T.

Not anymore. AT&T ceded significant bandwidth to T-Mobile in the "breakup dowry" when the merger was not approved. T-Mobile's coverage is well comparable - especially in major metros. Further, T-Mobile's network is significantly faster than AT&T's in major metros.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

1337Delta764

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
Not anymore. AT&T ceded significant bandwidth to T-Mobile in the "breakup dowry" when the merger was not approved. T-Mobile's coverage is well comparable - especially in major metros. Further, T-Mobile's network is significantly faster than AT&T's in major metros.

And AT&T has since acquired spectrum from elsewhere. The spectrum AT&T ceded to T-Mobile is 1700MHz AWS spectrum, which is primarily designed to increase capacity in urban areas. For rural areas, low-band 700MHz spectrum is a necessity, and AT&T has a lot more of it than T-Mobile; T-Mobile has only recently acquired some 700MHz spectrum. In addition to providing better rural coverage, low-band spectrum also provides better building penetration.

[Edited 2014-08-15 14:25:19]

ArmitageShanks

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Why is it a "toy that is really useless"?

Because they are afraid of change and don't totally grasp what a smartphone is and can be.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Quoting bohica (Reply 26):
You mean a smartphone isn't a mobile phone?

Yes, one of life's ironies is once the marketeers got everyone used to saying smart phone, the traditional mobile phone became a dumb phone. However they do sell a lot of them still to this day. For instance, M$ is now hawking a Nokia phone that will go for EUR 19. or USD 25. all-in:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...arket-with-eur19-nokia-130-handset

If my spending profile changes, I could see myself being happy with such a device.

My point-and-shoot camera has many more capabilities than my smartphone. Also my camera is better suited if I am going to take a large number of pictures. My smartphone does take good picture I admit, and it's handy to have if I need to take a picture at a moment's notice.

Agreed. I still keep a P&S for this reason. I never did migrate from film-based SLR to DSLR because I found the P&S does most of what I used a SLR for and was much more likely to be with me when I wanted to take a picture. I'm finding the phone is also taking many of the roles of the P&S just because it's with me more often, but I'm still trying to talk myself into buying both a new P&S as well as a new DSLR!  
I prefer a watch. I've worn wrist watches my entire life. I would feel naked without one.

Stopped wearing a watch daily back in the 90s, because there's a clock every place I go, home, office, car, etc.

If you wake up in the middle of the night you cant tell what time it is without reaching for the smartphone on the nightstand and turning it on to see what time it is.

Still have digital alarm clock on my nightstand and digital clocks with large displays that can be read from across the room in my home. Seems my need to know what time it is hasn't changed, but what has changed is the way I get it.

I do a lot of driving and i have found that a $100 Tom-Tom windshield mounted unit is much more convenient than trying to use my smartphone for navigation. Also my Tom-Tom unit warns me when I approach intersections with red light cameras.

I use the phone for so many things in the car (music, podcasts, audio books, nav, phone) that it has its own cradle and is just as convenient as any stand-alone nav. I've heard good things about the Tom-Tom software (from our own Doc Lightening?) but haven't bothered to purchase a copy since I'm happy with the default Google Maps nav function.

In any case, to steal your phrase, I'd feel naked leaving the house without my phone!

Beardown91737

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:50 am

Yes my daughter gave us her GPS claming she didn't need it anymore. She then started using her I Phone on our data plan, and refused to believe that we no longer had unlimited data. We finally convinced her when we showed her the bill when we paid overages. Problem is that each time we raise the data limit to make sure we don't get an overage charge, she uses the difference.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.