Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

U.S. Military And Customs/FIS?

Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi all,

When U.S. military personnel arrive from overseas on military aircraft and ships do they have
to pass through U.S. Customs and immigration. Also do they need to have passports?

NBGSkyGod

RE: U.S. Military And Customs/FIS?

Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 pm

Yes and no. When we return either on a ship or military transport, as long as it is part of the mission (ie not Space-A) then you still have to pass through Customs but your military ID will suffice for your passport (Space-A I think needs a passport). Usually Customs only requires filling out the standard form you fill out on a commercial plane. They may also inspect a few personal compartments, but usually it is just a formality (unless they are actually looking for something).
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Cadet985

Fri May 08, 2015 3:31 am

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 1):
Yes and no. When we return either on a ship or military transport, as long as it is part of the mission (ie not Space-A) then you still have to pass through Customs but your military ID will suffice for your passport (Space-A I think needs a passport). Usually Customs only requires filling out the standard form you fill out on a commercial plane. They may also inspect a few personal compartments, but usually it is just a formality (unless they are actually looking for something).

When my friend flew back from Afghanistan - on a charter (Atlas Air), they stopped - I believe in Shannon, Ireland - to go through Customs. He said their luggage was also checked for contraband - despite having been checked before leaving Afghanistan, and at a stop somewhere in Eastern Europe, and then when they finally landed in the US, somebody just for fun had to check passports again.

Marc

gocaps16

Fri May 08, 2015 4:09 am

Having done 9 deployments in the past 4 years on a US aircraft carrier, while entering port, no customs or immigration is required for the 6000 thirsty and horny sailors to go out and have a grand time. Usually about 5 days prior to entering port, a message called a SOPA or Senior Officer Present Afloat is an administration function used during foreign ports. It is basically a guideline with rules, regulations, and requirements to follow during the 4-5 days of being in town. No passport is needed to step off the ship. Only time a passport is required is if you have to fly out of the country from that local airport.

As for on military charters, yes...we still have to clear immigration and a passport isn't required unless you are flying into an International Airport. Each member(s) on a deployable status are required to get a Government or a no-fee U.S Passport. Say if you are flying from Yokota AB in Japan to Seattle, WA in an Omni 767-300, you will still clear thru immigration in Seattle. When I cleared thru Seattle, being a Global Entry member, we had our own designated "military" line apart from other commercial international flights. Also applies if you are flying to a U.S. Air Base overseas. Most military fields do have customs and immigration inside the AMC terminal, but usually they're employed by (military members) that are trained to do so.

[Edited 2015-05-07 21:12:40]

[Edited 2015-05-07 21:14:30]

Tugger

Fri May 08, 2015 4:09 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 2):

When my friend flew back from Afghanistan - on a charter (Atlas Air), they stopped - I believe in Shannon, Ireland - to go through Customs. He said their luggage was also checked for contraband - despite having been checked before leaving Afghanistan, and at a stop somewhere in Eastern Europe, and then when they finally landed in the US, somebody just for fun had to check passports again.

These are two very different situations I believe. One is military transport and landing or berthing at military bases. The other is using civilian/commercial options.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

L-188

Fri May 08, 2015 5:54 am

Yes and no. When we return either on a ship or military transport, as long as it is part of the mission (ie not Space-A) then you still have to pass through Customs but your military ID will suffice for your passport

It was twenty one years ago, but that is pretty much the way I remember, Military ID and orders. Which I had to explain to a CSA at ASA in ANC when I was heading back overseas when a leave I was on ended
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Aesma

Fri May 08, 2015 8:51 am

Seems to me the difficulty should be in leaving the US/entering another country, not coming back.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

rfields5421

Fri May 08, 2015 1:13 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 6):
Seems to me the difficulty should be in leaving the US/entering another country, not coming back.

Believe us - the US military knows exactly who is on their ships/ aircraft departing the US and returning to the US. Only those military personnel authorized to be on that ship or aircraft are allowed.

Back when the US military ran their own arrival / departure terminals at McGuire and Travis AFB - they had military customs inspectors who worked with the civilian agencies. Back then, immigration was DOJ, customs was DOT.

Many US military personnel are not US citizens, but travel in and out the US without passports - on their military ID and orders.

Those personnel would not normally be allowed to travel outside the US on leave (vacation).

The presence of US military personnel on orders in other countries is always governed by a Status of Forces Agreement - which defines such things as notifications, customs, jurisdiction for criminal charges, etc.

Some countries require a list of the names of the arriving / departing US military personnel and notification of any who are not US citizens. Knew a fellow from El Salvador in the Navy once who wasn't allowed into a couple countries because of some political BS. So he had to sit on the ship while his friends had liberty ashore.
Not all who wander are lost.