Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dragon-wings
Topic Author

Is There A Microsoft Scam Going On Now?

Tue May 26, 2015 1:02 am

The last few days I have been getting a phone call from someone saying that when I go to some websites it is alerting him, and he needs my Microsoft license number (or something like that). I am pretty sure it is some sort of scam because he will not give me his name or the company he works for. Has anyone else been getting phone calls like this?

[Edited 2015-05-25 18:31:21]
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

bill142

RE: Is There A Microsoft Scam Going On Now?

Tue May 26, 2015 1:35 am

Yes there are scams where people call you and tell you, you have a virus. Sounds like one of them.

jetwet1

Tue May 26, 2015 5:33 am

Yep it's a scam, play with them a little, then start having fun, then start making fun of them, then of course, become absuive, then hang up on them.

Yes I did say abusive, if these idiots want to call my home and try and steal from me, they deserve to be abused.

Braybuddy

Tue May 26, 2015 6:10 am

Why would anyone go out of their way to call you to do you a favour? The first rule of the internet is to ignore any such calls or e-mails.

dragon-wings
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 6:55 am

I will say this, they are persistent. Since Thursday they called me 3 times (from 2 different people)! What would they gain from getting my license number? I know it sounded a bit fishy when they said my computer was sending them error messages. As soon as I heard that I hung up.

Any ideas on what I could say to play around with them if they call again?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Braybuddy

Tue May 26, 2015 7:56 am

Blow a loud whistle down the phone  

Francoflier

Tue May 26, 2015 8:01 am

Put them on hold and literally leave the phone there until their patience runs out and they hang up.

These guys, just like telemarketers, rely on the number of calls they make to make any profit. They have to make dozens and dozens of such calls before they can find a sucker. The worst you can do to them is to make them waste their time.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Part147

Tue May 26, 2015 9:57 am

Here are a few tips.... Essentially the best thing to do is have another parallel 'conversation' going on at the same time, drives them nuts!  

For example...

- Ask them (frequently) when are they coming out to fix your computer/fridge/freezer/TV

- Tell them that Tuesday or Wednesday are the best days to come out and fix the computer/fridge/freezer/TV - (Note: don't say the weekend, they probably will ring and ruin it on you!)

- Ask them what kinds of special discounts or deals on computer/fridge/freezer/TV, then tell them that's too much

- Tell them they have a lovely voice and ask them out on a date

- If they refuse, ask them if there is anyone else there that would like to go out on a date

- If they still refuse ask them for their postal address and would they at least like to be penpals

If you just want to drag the conversation out...

- Speak slowly

- Keep saying "what" - make them say every sentence twice

- Start every reply with "eeerrrrrrrruuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...."

- Suddenly become very hard of hearing

- keep repeating EVERY SINGLE WORD THEY SAY - childish I know - but surprisingly funny and easy to do when you get going!

Above all, it's free entertainment piped straight into your home - I used to get lots of calls like that, but strangley enough, it's been a looooong time since they've called me - I wonder why!?  
It's better to ask a stupid question during training, rather than make a REALLY stupid mistake later on!

blueflyer

Tue May 26, 2015 10:27 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 4):
Since Thursday they called me 3 times (from 2 different people)! What would they gain from getting my license number?

If you stay on long enough to tell them you don't have one or don't know what it is, it'll turn out to be the explanation to the mysterious problem you didn't know you were having. Fortunately for you, they can sell you a worthless, meaningless license number for the low, low, price of $29.99 that will not only fix that non-existent problem that is bugging you so much, but also make them stop calling you. And if you act within the next thirty minutes, they'll even add your phone number for free to the giant suckers database scammers of all sorts rely on.

Joke apart, by virtue of Microsoft's notoriety and the limited understanding most people have of how the internet works, the answer to your question is Yes on pretty much any day of the week that ends in Y, 52 weeks a year.

[Edited 2015-05-26 03:44:39]

Brick

Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Next time they call, hand the phone to your 3 year old and tell them it is Santa Claus.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 26, 2015 2:23 pm

I keep getting these calls and the first time I told the guy I didn't have a computer and he insisted that I did. I continued to mess around with him then he hung up.

Second time they called I acted like a robo call and said he'd won 2 free tickets on a cruise.

Boeing717200

Tue May 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Quoting dragon-wings (Thread starter):
The last few days I have been getting a phone call from someone saying that when I go to some websites it is alerting him, and he needs my Microsoft license number (or something like that). I am pretty sure it is some sort of scam because he will not give me his name or the company he works for. Has anyone else been getting phone calls like this?

In the words of my brother who is a programmer for Microsoft:

"Microsoft will never call you (nor will any other software provider), they will simply push you (and everyone else) a patch or an update."

These things are targeted at older less savy PC users. They ask for desktop remote access and start downloading everything they can get their hands on.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

Ken777

Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 1):

Yep it's a scam, play with them a little, then start having fun,

That's what I did. They have girl;s making initial contact and if they think they have a live one they turn you over tho the hot shot. So I went for the dude, talked slowly and acted confused.

He first told me to click on the Windows flag in the bottom left. I asked "what is that". Tossed in a few questions and kept up the slow pace. Finally after 5 minutes of me not being able to find anything is got the bright idea to ask if I was running a Windows computer. I replied, "Hell No! Only a fool would do that". Couldn't believe it - he hung up on me. But I took 5 minutes out of his work day.         

CplKlinger

Fri May 29, 2015 12:27 pm

There are also scammers putting fake popups saying to call a number to have them solve something they found. They've been getting people for $250-500 a pop. In reality, nothing is wrong, and they twist things to make it seem like there is a problem. They'll run netstat -a and say all of the connections are hackers and so on. Bunch of lowlifes all.