727LOVER
Topic Author

How Come No Fifa World Cup Soccer Threads?

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:19 pm

World Cup soccer has been going on the last few weeks and there's not one single thread...why is this?

Over 800 replies in these 2 threads from last year:

Fifa 2014 World Cup Brazil (by RomeoBravo Jun 11 2014 in Non Aviation)

Fifa World Cup Brazil Part 2 (by jetblueguy22 Jun 25 2014 in Non Aviation)

And 2010 had at least 8
Official 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread #8 (by SA7700 Jul 8 2010 in Non Aviation)

What's going on?   

OK, obviously I know why....but let's just say, I don't UNDERSTAND why.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Fabo

RE: How Come No Fifa World Cup Soccer Threads?

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Uh.

is this some king of a meta joke I don't get?
The light at the end of tunnel turned out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

seb146

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
World Cup soccer has been going on the last few weeks and there's not one single thread...why is this?

Three reasons:

A) Women's World Cup
2) Canada
III) This site is mostly geared toward the United States of America

Women's World Cup anything always garners lower ratings. Because there is a rivalry between the United States and Canada, no one here talks about Canada.

My two cents
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ArmitageShanks

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:13 pm

Because women's sports in general are not very entertaining to watch. Have you seen the WNBA? Its terrible.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting Armitageshanks (Reply 3):
Because women's sports in general are not very entertaining to watch

That's what I suspected. Now something like football, yeah maybe...but soccer? Do men shy away from Women's tennis?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Airstud

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:58 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 4):
Do men shy away from Women's tennis?

It depends on the level of Sharapovity involved.
Pancakes are delicious.

usflyer msp

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:21 am

Because most people in the world couldn't care less about Women's team sports. Most women outside of USA/Canada/ Western Europe are out getting their nails and hair done or maybe some plastic surgery so that they might marry a soccer player not be one themselves...

ltbewr

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:49 am

The USA beat China 1-0. Germany and England (who beat host Canada) are also in the semifinals.
There is also Copa America with spirited matches of Central and South American teams, most of the interest is by people from the countries in that region.

Derico

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Interesting to note that for the first time in any official FIFA tournament, the four semifinalists of the tournament (the 2nd most important in the world after the World Cup), are coached by trainers of the same country.

And also that Brazil's nightmare has now officially continued.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

TheSonntag

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Also there is the U21 world cup for men right now. Germany got crushed by Portugal, losing 0 : 5.

This got more attention than the German women playing for the final. The real reason: The way the press is boosting Womens Football is just annyoing. It is so much political correct B/S on the german public TV channels that it is getting annoying.

Also, it was quite interesting to watch the opening game of the Womens World cup, just 3 hours after this years champions league final between Barca and Juventus

Comparing those levels is unfair, but this were 2 different planets of the same sport. I mean, if you watch 100metres track and field, women are just one second slower, and it is interesting to watch, too.

But seeing football without speed, without hard defense, its just not the same for me. There is only one game of womens football I can remember that I liked. Germany Brazil in 2007.

LJ

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):

A) Women's World Cup
2) Canada

You forget to mention that not so many women on Anet.

Anyway it gets much more coverage in The Netherlands as it used to get. It helps that the Dutch did play. However, it doesn't help that the matches starting are around 1AM - 3AM here in Europe.

vikkyvik

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Actually, quite a few do indeed. Men's tennis is a faster-paced game.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 2):

Indeed. Just look at all those US sports threads!
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

B777LRF

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Mainly because FIFA don't hold a soccer world cup, but a football world cup. Secondly because it's women playing, and watching women playing football is just about as boring as watching paint dry.

Wait until 2016 when the UEFA European Cup kicks off, then you'll have plenty of footy threads. Or the 2018 WC, which is supposed to be held in Russia - but let's see about that once FIFA has a new leadership and the Garcia report will be published in full. My money's on Russia and Qatar losing their bids, with the 2018 cup being awarded to England and the 2022 cup being sent for rebid.
Signature. You just read one.

johns624

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:53 pm

If the OP is so interested, why didn't he start a thread about the World Cup, instead of asking why there wasn't one?

larshjort

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 9):
Also there is the U21 world cup for men right now. Germany got crushed by Portugal, losing 0 : 5.

It is just a European championship. not a World cup  
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

TheSonntag

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:23 pm

You are correct. Wanted to write Euro.

n229nw

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Because women's sports in general are not very entertaining to watch.
Quoting B777LRF (Reply 12):
watching women playing football is just about as boring as watching paint dry

BS: I've enjoyed watching this as much as watching men's football/soccer. The technical level keeps rising now that there are professional women's leagues in more countries, there is less diving and theatrics, fewer overpaid diva stars, and tons of drama of the good kind (sudden turnarounds, comebacks, nail-biters, heartbreakers, etc.). There have been some fantastic goals too.

I don't get anyone who says "oh but a men's team would beat them." That's like a boxing fan refusing to watch a welterweight championship match because a heavyweight could knock out both players so heavyweight is better.

Anyway, I think the main reason, besides some straight sexism, that there isn't more coverage and attention to this cup is inertia. People aren't as used to following, aren't as familiar with the players, etc. Same way people in the US don't watch that much soccer at all and people in Europe don't pay much attention to baseball etc.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 9):
The way the press is boosting Womens Football is just annyoing. It is so much political correct B/S on the german public TV channels that it is getting annoying.

Just curious, since I am not in Germany: besides actually showing the sport and actually caring that the German women's team is into the semifinals, what to you constitutes "politically correct boosting"? Do people also stop watching men's football because the media is overhyping it and it gets annoying? I doubt it, plus in most countries, the media is underhyping the women's world cup...

[Edited 2015-06-28 15:13:24]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

StarAC17

Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 am

Because women's sports in general are not very entertaining to watch. Have you seen the WNBA? Its terrible.

The raw talent is probably better in Men's football but women's football has less theatrics and has a lot more passion in it.

Also add I have watched all but one of the Canada matches (very disappointing last night but they had awesome fans at BC place giving a standing ovation) and have flipped on a few other ones. There is hardly and diving and some really good challenges.

There is none of this crap, which turns me off men's football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-H2wXK4T4

Let's be honest, women's tennis maintains a lot of it's popularity due to the attractiveness of many of the players.

I find there is a lot of inconsistency in the women's game and holding serve holds little value in the women's game where as in a men's match you are broken twice you are guaranteed to lose the set.

There are plenty of talented women's players but you don't have the consistent of talent in the era of Evertt, Navratilova, and probably the best woman player ever Steffi Graf (perhaps Serena).

Men's matches in the majors can go on for up to 5 hours with much more intensity from the first set to the last and perhaps its the time where you have the big four men's players and immense talent in the top 20. This is a golden age for men's tennis.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 16):
BS: I've enjoyed watching this as much as watching men's football/soccer. The technical level keeps rising now that there are professional women's leagues in more countries, there is less diving and theatrics, fewer overpaid diva stars, and tons of drama of the good kind (sudden turnarounds, comebacks, nail-biters, heartbreakers, etc.). There have been some fantastic goals too.

The only real diva in this tournament plays for your national team. Abby Wambach needs to stop complaining about officiating and the turf and bring it if the US is to beat Germany and get to and win the final.

This game really is the beautiful game if there is no diving.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

TheSonntag

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Just curious, since I am not in Germany: besides actually showing the sport and actually caring that the German women's team is into the semifinals, what to you constitutes "politically correct boosting"?

Well, they deliberately show football women taking make up on before playing in a soccer field, or other stuff which deliberately shows "hey women can do the same, too".

It is not as annoying as in 2011, when the ZDF, the 2nd german public tv channel, had a campaign before the world cup stating "Dritte Plätze sind was für Männer", which meant Third Places are for Men, a reference to the german national team who became 3rd at the world cups 2006 and 2010.

With those campaigns, they either made it as if Women's football was something "better" than mens football - which is quite rediculous since the B-Youth team of Hertha BSC once beat the german national womens footbal team 7 : 0 in a test game, or just played with some rediculous stereotypes.

Both is annoying. I do respect women playing football. But comparing it to men is simply unfair, and campaigns like the campaign above do not help.

Elite

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Sure, that's a valid opinion. But the viewership statistics don't back it up. The professional soccer/football leagues, from the Premier League to La Liga to the Bundesliga, offer quality that is unmatched by female leagues. There are great goals by the women, but to say the quality is the same as the top flight men's leagues is just ridiculous.

AM744

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:39 pm

I don't. I find it entertaining.

n229nw

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:21 pm

Quoting elite (Reply 19):
But the viewership statistics don't back it up.

Quality isn't measured in viewership statistics, though. That was part of the point I was making.

Quoting elite (Reply 19):
offer quality that is unmatched by female leagues

Perhaps in certain areas. But as I said, the women's game is leaping forward with more professional leagues. As the German coach pointed out, neither her first-place German team nor the second or third place teams from 2007 would even still be in this tournament, given the overall rising skill levels since then.

I've watched a lot of the games with my daughter, who is really into it, and I've seen some crappy playing and some fantastic playing. But then, I've seen some pretty diabolically bad playing by well-ranked national teams in men's world cups too.

I also, personally, find it easier to cheer for "nice people," and there are a lot fewer stinkers (Hope Solo aside) in the women's game than in the professional men's leagues. Too much money does things to people, so it may be a positive effect of the less exaggerated pay and fame here too.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 17):
The only real diva in this tournament plays for your national team. Abby Wambach needs to stop complaining about officiating and the turf and bring it if the US is to beat Germany and get to and win the final.

Well, I feel for her. She is at the end of her career and one goal off another record, and not quite in top form right now. This is her last chance, and to be fair, the astroturf is horrible. It has been over 100F on the pitch because of it in some games, and the ball does move differently. Of course, all the teams are facing this, and the US is really not performing well at the front and midfield despite their slipping by so far. They will have to step it up a level or Germany is going to roll over them like a truck. (Germany has had some pretty off moments too, of course, like the quarterfinal, where they were completely outplayed by France except that the French couldn't finish in front of open goals and it came back to sink them...)

[Edited 2015-06-29 15:36:23]

Elite

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 am

Quoting n229nw (Reply 21):
Quality isn't measured in viewership statistics, though. That was part of the point I was making.

Which is a very valid point, though the passion you see for some of the smaller teams who don't offer the same type of quality as they used to is always impressive (until that "passion" is abused by hooligans to incite a riot).

Perhaps in certain areas. But as I said, the women's game is leaping forward with more professional leagues.

I don't doubt that at all. But when you look at the individual skill and abilities of players like Ronaldo and Messi, or the teamwork of the old Barcelona/ Spain national team, I would say the men's game is better all around and not just in certain areas.

I also, personally, find it easier to cheer for "nice people," and there are a lot fewer stinkers (Hope Solo aside)

Ironically, Solo is one of the most well-known and popular female soccer players in the world! Though I suppose one or two villains here or there adds to the drama.

MrHMSH

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:04 am

I've been enjoying the Women's World Cup, it is completely unnatural to see an England team of any gender or age group progress as far as they have, to put so much effort in and actually be enjoyable to watch.

The BBC has been pushing it, they've advertised it and most media outlets in the UK are reporting it. But as mentioned above, the timings don't help. I had to stay up late at night to watch England vs Canada, which is not a problem for me, but it will be for most people.

That said, there are aspects of the women's game that are hard to watch if you're used to watching Top flight football in Europe. There's much less technical ability, the ball is given away very often and the goalkeeping is not very good at all.
That said, it is refreshing to see the women play more fairly, respect the ref and they never feign injury or deliberately try to get an opponent sent off. I can see it catching on if the women pass it more and the overall ability improves.

Longhornmaniac

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Oh haiiiiii Japan.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

NWAESC

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:23 am

This year's WWC has been amazing. If you haven't been watching, you've missed some fantastic soccer...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

seb146

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:18 am

When did BC Place get a retractable roof? I knew the original roof was torn apart during a horrific storm so they had to redesign one before the Olympics but I didn't know it was retractable. I say that because a friend of mine posted a pic of the sun shining on the field at BC Place today.

Oh, yeah... congratulations USA.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

StarAC17

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:43 am

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 23):

I've been enjoying the Women's World Cup, it is completely unnatural to see an England team of any gender or age group progress as far as they have, to put so much effort in and actually be enjoyable to watch.

They played really well and I was pulling for them after beating Canada. It's a shame that it ended the way it did for them  .

Now only if their men's team can do something!!

Quoting NWAESC (Reply 25):
This year's WWC has been amazing. If you haven't been watching, you've missed some fantastic soccer...

Didn't watch today but it was fantastic soccer and as I said before no diving like the men!!

Quoting seb146 (Reply 26):
When did BC Place get a retractable roof? I knew the original roof was torn apart during a horrific storm so they had to redesign one before the Olympics but I didn't know it was retractable. I say that because a friend of mine posted a pic of the sun shining on the field at BC Place today.

It still has a roof and I don't think it is retractable. Now it has windows around the dome so natural light gets in.

They deserved it!!

Look out for their men's team too in the future.

Actually to use a WWII reference the final matches were ENG vs GER and USA vs JPN.

The allies won both matches  
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

n229nw

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:42 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 27):
They played really well and I was pulling for them after beating Canada.

Speaking of rooting for nice people, I don't think I've ever seen a nicer group of people than the England team in this competition. They seem to love and support each other so much throughout. Going out of the Japan game after hitting the crossbar 3 or 4 times before on that last-minute own goal was heartbreaking--but then, perhaps the silver lining was them getting to beat old rivals Germany instead of a likely loss to the USA who were really firing on all cylinders at the end.

Still wish England would resort less to long balls forward, they just keep giving away possession that way. Steph Houghton was incredible on defence, but every time she had the ball in her own half I just thought, "Which opposing player will she boot it up to this time."

Btw, re: the Germany-England game: how does it work to be a North Korean referee? I guess it means you have all kinds of freedom that your fellow-citizens don't have? I wonder how she came to that position? Just curious...

Carli Lloyd must be buzzing incredibly right about now! That third goal especially!

MrHMSH

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:47 pm

It's a shame that it ended the way it did for them .

Very sad, I felt so bad for Bassett. It was nice to see her smiling after beating Germany.

Now only if their men's team can do something!!

I can't even joke about it anymore, I'd be surprised if England got any further than the 1st knockout game with someone like Roy Hodgson or Gareth Southgate managing.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 28):
Speaking of rooting for nice people, I don't think I've ever seen a nicer group of people than the England team in this competition. They seem to love and support each other so much throughout. Going out of the Japan game after hitting the crossbar 3 or 4 times before on that last-minute own goal was heartbreaking--but then, perhaps the silver lining was them getting to beat old rivals Germany instead of a likely loss to the USA who were really firing on all cylinders at the end.

I don't think England would have opened up like Japan, they were much too naïve. I do however agree, I don't see how they would have beaten the USA.

Still wish England would resort less to long balls forward, they just keep giving away possession that way. Steph Houghton was incredible on defence, but every time she had the ball in her own half I just thought, "Which opposing player will she boot it up to this time."

Agreed, the technical side is lacking, you can get used to the slower speed and less able keepers, but the lack of ability to pass was generally poor at the tournament, though some did impress me. England had desire, organisation and energy, and it got them very far.

Btw, re: the Germany-England game: how does it work to be a North Korean referee? I guess it means you have all kinds of freedom that your fellow-citizens don't have? I wonder how she came to that position? Just curious...

A weird one. I didn't think she was that good, she missed a couple of hard fouls from the German players and I think gave a terribly soft penalty.

Carli Lloyd must be buzzing incredibly right about now! That third goal especially!

I think you mean Carli Puskas-Pele!

windy95

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Watched almost every game of the Copa America. Way to go Chile...

n229nw

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm

no diving like the men!!

Or at least a good deal less...no Ronaldo/Robben/Figo specials   

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 29):
I'd be surprised if England got any further than the 1st knockout game with someone like Roy Hodgson or Gareth Southgate managing.

Agree. And such as waste. They do need someone inspirational. Sven, Capello, Hodgson, none of the recent England men's managers has seemed to have anywhere near the positive charisma of Sampson.

Part of the problem: who in their right mind would take that job? It is basically an invitation to be built up and then torn down and crucified by the English tabloid press on a regular basis. I think it would drive anyone away, or crazy.

Agreed, the technical side is lacking, you can get used to the slower speed and less able keepers, but the lack of ability to pass was generally poor at the tournament, though some did impress me.

Yes, there really was a wide variety of passing skill. As for moving the ball in general, I particularly liked watching the wingbacks Bronze, Greenwood, and Alex Scott (who, I thought, was unfortunate in that, since Bronze had such a run of great form, she didn't get to be on the pitch much), and I liked watching Jill Scott and Karen Carney holding on to the ball well most of the time to get around defenders and set up shots. Aluko's pace was exciting but it often seemed to end up nowhere.

As for the long ball issue, it seems to be a frustrating disease with the men's national side as well. But WHY I don't get. I could have substituted any of various strong England defenders (Ferdinand, Terry, etc.) for Houghton's name there and put down the same statement. Hopeful long balls didn't make too much sense even with someone like Peter Crouch up front alone, and make even less sense with someone such as Rooney, who isn't likely to win headers against five defenders 4 inches taller than he is...It's like some suicidal desire to fall back and defend instead of trusting the midfielders to move the ball up the pitch. I've never understood it, especially when England have had such playmaking midfielders for years (Gerrard, Lampard, etc.). In fact, it may even go some way toward explaining why Gerrard always seemed so crap when playing for his country instead of for Liverpool.

I didn't think she was that good, she missed a couple of hard fouls from the German players

In fairness, she gave some England players an easy time too. Alex Greenwood practically shoulder launched Sara Daebritz into the stands in the first half and Bassett was running around like she was in a mosh pit by the end of the game (tired legs?)...

and I think gave a terribly soft penalty.

The penalty was soft, but arguably there should have been one England's way earlier in the game anyway (not to mention about three England corners that were called as goal kicks). The refereeing was poor for most of the tournament.

I think you mean Carli Puskas-Pele!

lol

[Edited 2015-07-06 16:25:38]

novak500

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:47 pm

Based on the below article from the NYTimes, it seems the final at least had some good ratings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/sp...in-united-states-history.html?_r=0

flyingturtle

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:22 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
and there's not one single thread...why is this?

I have not been paid to open such a thread, nor have I seen money to even write about the World Cup.

DAvid
Reading accident reports is what calms me down