Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikelive
Topic Author

Couple Breaks Up During Flight Delay

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:56 pm

.... and the entire thing was captured on Twitter for the whole world to see.

"In a subsequent email to Barstool Sports, Keegs explained that she “thought they were loud and annoying at first” because they “were SO drunk.” But when the woman “started crying loud enough to capture the attention of everyone in the front of the plane,” Keegs began live-tweeting the event as it unfolded."

Read the tweets and the exciting plot twist here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...le-breakup-on-plane_n_8029848.html

[Edited 2015-08-24 15:21:34]

ER757

RE: Couple Breaks Up During Flight Delay

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 pm

reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine and Puddy broke up during a return flight from Europe

andrej

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:32 am

It may seem comical at first, but I do have several problems with this 'story'.

First of all, breaking up in an airplane is a never good idea. I am not questioning guy's motives, like why he took her on a trip and then broke up with her (as far as I understand he broke up with the chic)? What is just to get some? There are more appropriate places to break up (like baggage claim area, if you really can not wait till you arrive home). But people do break up, no need to have a breaking news about that.

IMHO, Kelly Keegs does not have a common decency (overall she is missing dignitas). Why would anyone update Tweets about others' personal stuff? I hope someone tweets/shares online something personal about her and then want to see her face how she feels about it.

And finally, media grinds my gear the most. Why even pick this s*it and post it as a news? There are no other more newsworthy items going on? If not, just don't post it, save the bandwidth.

I have given this, way to much of thought....      

Redd

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Quoting andrej (Reply 2):
Why even pick this s*it and post it as a news?

The Twitter poster, and the people who care enough to read and be entertained by this invasion into someone's private life, are all pretty pathetic.....

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:50 pm

How de we know if there is any authenticity to the story?

Maybe the tweeter just wanted her 15 minutes of fame for herself?

Revelation

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:38 pm

And finally, media grinds my gear the most. Why even pick this s*it and post it as a news?

Because we read it.

I'm no fan of media by tweet, but if we read it, they'll post more of it, and internet hit count's don't lie (much).
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

andrej

Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 5):
Because we read it.

I'm no fan of media by tweet, but if we read it, they'll post more of it, and internet hit count's don't lie (much).

If they would ignore it, we would not read it. Unless you follow that rude lady on Twitter. Obviously, people tend to click on such link, with a catchy headline. It's a pure click count trap.

There are far more important issues/news to share than an invasion of a privacy.

Silver1SWA

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 3):

Why even pick this s*it and post it as a news?

The Twitter poster, and the people who care enough to read and be entertained by this invasion into someone's private life, are all pretty pathetic.....

I guess I'm pathetic then because I was following that thread live on Twitter and it was rather entertaining. But really, what did I do besides have an app open in my phone and read along? And invasion? They're the ones who chose to do it in a small metal tube packed close around dozens of strangers who have no choice but to hear the whole thing.

Why would anyone update Tweets about others' personal stuff? I hope someone tweets/shares online something personal about her and then want to see her face how she feels about it.

Live-tweeting breakups isn't uncommon. I guess people feel that if a couple is going to make things extremely awkward by exposing them to such an uncomfortable scene then it must be fair game.

[Edited 2015-08-25 13:12:47]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

andrej

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 7):

Live-tweeting breakups isn't uncommon. I guess people feel that if a couple is going to make things extremely awkward by exposing them to such an uncomfortable scene then it must be fair game.

Touche! But (there is always but   ), if that individual posted Tweets about the break up, fine (although IMHO I still have an issue with that). It's an awkward situation.

My biggest problem is why media made it such an event (a global one as many newspapers/news carried this story). I still stand by, that this is waste of a bandwidth.

Silver1SWA

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Quoting andrej (Reply 8):
My biggest problem is why media made it such an event (a global one as many newspapers/news carried this story). I still stand by, that this is waste of a bandwidth.

My guess is simply because it was trending. When an event on social media catches and spreads like a wildfire, it gets picked up by one media outlet and then spreads again through the various media channels. It's pretty fascinating, IMO. The story isn't the big deal, it's the attention it's getting that makes it "news."

[Edited 2015-08-25 14:37:17]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Revelation

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting andrej (Reply 6):

If they would ignore it, we would not read it. Unless you follow that rude lady on Twitter. Obviously, people tend to click on such link, with a catchy headline. It's a pure click count trap.

Right, yet the media gets paid in proportion to clicks, not for each un-rude, un-catchy article they post.

That's the way things go these days, unless of course you own your own media outlet.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm calling shenanigans on this; the last tweet - six bloody marys for a 50 minute flight? Yeah, I don't see any FA going along with that. Puts the entire tweet-fest into doubt if you ask me.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

gkirk

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:19 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 11):
I'm calling shenanigans on this; the last tweet - six bloody marys for a 50 minute flight? Yeah, I don't see any FA going along with that. Puts the entire tweet-fest into doubt if you ask me.

That's only 3 each, perfectly doable
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EA CO AS

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 am

Quoting gkirk (Reply 12):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 11): I'm calling shenanigans on this; the last tweet - six bloody marys for a 50 minute flight? Yeah, I don't see any FA going along with that. Puts the entire tweet-fest into doubt if you ask me.
That's only 3 each, perfectly doable

Doable, yes.

Now tell me what F/A is going to serve someone three alcoholic beverages each on a 50 minute flight with one cart service.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Redd

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:49 am

They're the ones who chose to do it in a small metal tube packed close around dozens of strangers who have no choice but to hear the whole thing.

Don't know if you've ever had a relationship, but arguments sometimes tend to take place in the most unfortunate surroundings. It's pathetic that people feel the need to report someone else's painful situation to the world.

and it was rather entertaining.

Maybe you should try HBO. I personally don't find someone else's hardships 'entertaining'.

coolian2

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:33 pm

You would not believe how much better my relationship got after I had a very big argument with my partner.

That said we weren't like THIS.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Silver1SWA

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 14):

Don't know if you've ever had a relationship, but arguments sometimes tend to take place in the most unfortunate surroundings. It's pathetic that people feel the need to report someone else's painful situation to the world.

Yes, I've been in many relationships and I have been in a few public arguments including on an airplane. The difference is I try my very hardest not to make a huge scene but looking back I recognize that random strangers were exposed to it and who knows how they felt or thought about it. I'm sure it was awkward for them but oh well, these things happen.

Quoting Redd (Reply 14):
Maybe you should try HBO. I personally don't find someone else's hardships 'entertaining'.

Sorry, no HBO at work but thanks. My phone serves as my entertainment on my break time. I didn't go search for it, it was placed right on my Twitter timeline so whatever, I followed along.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):

Doable, yes.

Now tell me what F/A is going to serve someone three alcoholic beverages each on a 50 minute flight with one cart service.

It's doable on a short flight, but what gets me is would a F/A serve that many drinks to a couple who supposedly just made a scene big enough that all on board could hear?

andz

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
Doable, yes.

Sounds like flying in the US is a bummer.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...