Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Edelweiss Air Business Class – A really class act even on short-haul!

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:31 am

On Friday evening and Saturday morning I travelled all the way from Vienna via Zürich and Madrid to Lanzarote for the sole purpose of hitching a ride with the Wamos Air Boeing B 747-400 that is, or possibly was, substituting for one of Vueling’s Airbus A 320. Admittedly, it’s not as though I had to suffer any hardship in the process. The journey to Lanzarote was on Air Europa Business Class and Lanzarote itself is a fairly nice place to spend a couple of hours.

But alas, it was not meant to be. First the Boeing 747 was replaced with an albino Airbus A 319 and then the flight was delayed and eventually rerouted to Barcelona, about eight hours after it should have originally left Lanzarote. Fortunately though, as they say in Maltese, the rose emerges from thorns, which in my case means that I was able to secure an alternative booking with Edelweiss Air to take me home. In the sum of all things, I think Vueling did me a favour at the end of the day. The Service and comfort on Edelweiss were something else and made for a very pleasant journey back to Switzerland.

Edelweiss Air Business Class to to Zürich

jetwet1

Re: Edelweiss Air Business Class – A really class act even on short-haul!

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:34 am

I have to say, the first thing that jumps out to me is the meal, it looks better than anything I have gotten on Swiss long haul J in the last few months, I don't know if they speaks well of Edelweiss or badly for Swiss :D

Now that my business trips to Italy are just about done (1 left to go) I am thinking that maybe I should burn some miles and take the wife back to Italy using Edelweiss from LAS.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:02 am

Hi Jetwet,

Thanks for commenting. Tragically, you're quite right. Considering that Edelweiss is 'only' the holiday carrier of SWISS, they certainly outshine them as far as food and service are concerned.

I think if I were you I should definitely take the wife to Italy on Edelweiss. They're a nice experience!

debonair

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Knightsofmalta wrote:
First the Boeing 747 was replaced with an albino Airbus A 319 and then the flight was delayed and eventually rerouted to Barcelona, about eight hours after it should have originally left Lanzarote.

Would have been an interesting, exotic and unique TR on an A319 (my guess) operated by Olympus Airways. Anyway, as the delay was more than 3hrs, will you sue VY under EU-Passengers Rights? I would be very interested in the outcome!

Really, Edeweiss seems a great, little airline! I hope they will stay focus and grow not too fast (with the arrival of their first A340's soon)!

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 am

Hi Debonair

Thanks for taking the time to comment. So far, VY have already informed me that they will fully refund the price of the ticket. So that's at least something. I'll have to see about the rest. Other than that though, as you say Edelweiss are a really brilliant operation. I'm kind of curious to see what will happen once the 340s arrive, which seems like an odd choice of aircraft for them.

capicua

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi William!

Great to have you back here as well, albeit following this new trend of "hub-and-spoke" we are seeing more often now: in the past you clicked on a report on Airliners.net and had a report right there, non-stop service. Now it's a one-stop thing where you first go to A.net and then are directed somewhere else. A sign of the times I guess. Anyway, I've kept up to date with your reports on the other site during your time-out from here.

It's a pity that you went - literally - out of your way and then did not get the Wamos B747-400 after all but for sure the Edelweiss flight was a fairly good consolation prize!

Cheers,
C.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi C.

Thanks for commenting. Yes it's true, I hadn't posted here in a long time. I suppose I just didn't have the time for both. But it's nice to be back in any case. The worst thing about the Wamos Air is that I've seen a few trip reports starting out of Zürich (mainly because of the CSeries) and nearly all trip reports mention seeing the Jumbo and wondering who it was operating for. It's enough to drive you mad!

Cheers,
William

UnitedIsBae

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:30 pm

nice tr!

sumantra

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:32 pm

I have long been a fan of your writing style with pithy and witty comments, and short sentences. Add to it, some great descriptions and comments, lovely pictures. And we have another wholesome reading experience. Thank you!
Cheers, Sumantra.