Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zippyjet
Topic Author

"Warm Down vs. Cool Down (Swimming)

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Learned something new with the Olympics in Rio. At least with the sport of swimming dealing with team USA; After their event, each athlete goes for a warm down (warm water pool instead of cooling down but the main surprise for me? They get their blood drawn each time for lactic acid levels. Interesting in that multiple events can be minutes apart and doesn't the withdraw of blood alter performance? Is this just a finger stick or the full deal from the arm? No fun!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

cpd

Re: "Warm Down vs. Cool Down (Swimming)

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:07 am

That testing isn't a big deal, just a small little sample taken from the ear lobe. You don't even feel it. I've had it done.

Watch Jens Voight after his cycling hour record attempt, you'll see them taking a sample for that very reason.

I wouldn't have though it was so useful for swimming though... In cycling, at least on a test on a stationary trainer you can take a sample every minute or two and get useful information, especially graphing it against heart rate and power.

DocLightning

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:29 pm

Competitive swimmer here. We use "warm down" for the same term that other athletes call "cool down." It's really no difference. Point is that you want to flex and relax the muscles to "wring" excess lactate out of them and maybe speed recovery a bit. Scientifically, there is no evidence that this helps. There's a lot of woo that goes in sports training, reference the cupping marks on Mr. Phelps.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:51 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Competitive swimmer here. We use "warm down" for the same term that other athletes call "cool down."

Yup. I remember thinking it was weird when I first heard it when I was young.

DocLightning wrote:
Point is that you want to flex and relax the muscles to "wring" excess lactate out of them and maybe speed recovery a bit. Scientifically, there is no evidence that this helps.

I always figured it was like stretching after a workout. Which, if nothing else, helps me be less sore.

Either way, it feels good to do a bit of a warm down after a hard swim.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:42 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Yup. I remember thinking it was weird when I first heard it when I was young.

You have it backwards, you see.

Every other athlete is weird and we're the normal ones. :D
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

vikkyvik

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:00 pm

DocLightning wrote:
You have it backwards, you see. Every other athlete is weird and we're the normal ones.

That goes without saying.

By the way, do you find yourself breathing with the swimmers when watching the Olympics? Actually makes it really annoying to watch swimming.

Sort of like how, because I played trumpet for years, I tend to breathe between musical phrases even when playing guitar.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:07 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
By the way, do you find yourself breathing with the swimmers when watching the Olympics? Actually makes it really annoying to watch swimming.

I don't watch the olympics. :)
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:28 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
You have it backwards, you see. Every other athlete is weird and we're the normal ones.

That goes without saying.

Sort of like how, because I played trumpet for years, I tend to breathe between musical phrases even when playing guitar.

I was a swimmer, we used the phrases interchangeably, but then again I never swam at the level where we had a warm pool or a cool pool. And yes, it would be just a small prick.

I miss my swimming days :(

I do the same vickyvik! But I guess it's more enjoyable for me as I am a former swimmer! :D And as a former trumet layer, I do the same when I'm listening to music, breathe when the music allows for it! Lastly, everytime there is an underwater scene in a movie where someone may drown, I find myself (not voluntarily) holding my breath, so I agree with you in some regard!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I was a swimmer, we used the phrases interchangeably,

I never heard a swimmer or coach say "cool down." Always "Warm down."

TWA772LR wrote:
And yes, it would be just a small prick.

Yes, those tight suits tended to do that. :oops: :shock: ;)
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

TWA772LR

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:59 pm

DocLightning wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I was a swimmer, we used the phrases interchangeably,

I never heard a swimmer or coach say "cool down." Always "Warm down."

TWA772LR wrote:
And yes, it would be just a small prick.

Yes, those tight suits tended to do that. :oops: :shock: ;)

With Texas being a predominantly football state, I heard both.

And I cringed when I first heard my club coach say that our race suits need to literally be 2 sizes too small! :lol: :oops:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.