Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usxguy
Topic Author

DL reducing DCA-SLC to daily, starting DCA-LAX

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Thought this was interesting, considering the amount of work Delta & Utah spent on getting the exemption.

October 4, 2016

Beyond-Perimeter Notification of Delta Air Lines

Delta Air Lines hereby gives notice that it intends to switch its currently operating DCA to Salt Lake City, Utah, nonstop service exemption to Los Angeles, California, effective April 2017.

Under DOT Order 2012-2-21, carriers may switch markets by providing advance notice to DOT. Continued notice of any change in circumstances is required by 49 USC §41718(g)(3) and (4).

Counsel: Delta, Christopher Walker, 202-842-3949

source: airlineinfo.com
Last edited by qf789 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Misleading title
xx

Sightseer

Re: DL ending DCA-SLC, moving flight to LAX

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:02 pm

DL currently flies SLC-DCA twice daily. One of those flights is transferable and being canceled to start LAX-DCA. I was wondering if/when DL would move the second SLC-DCA and whether they would use it to start LAX or SEA. We now have our answer.

FlyPNS1

Technically though DL isn't ending DCA-SLC. They have 2 flights a day on DCA-SLC, so one flight will go DCA-SLC and one will do DCA-LAX. The other slot (granted almost 10 years ago now) is tied to SLC. Any attempt to move that beyond perimeter slot would trigger a competitive proceeding.

DeSpringbokke

I'm surprised they didn't intend to switch to DCA-SEA. However, since DL operates twice daily DCA-SLC, they'll just drop the second flight.

commavia

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Not entirely surprising ... another major O&D market added to LAX. I do agree, though, that the choice of LAX over SEA is interesting, and only further informs the dynamic between the two as Delta attempts to use both as hubs/gateways.

OA412

Re: DL reducing DCA-SLC to daily, starting DCA-LAX

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:32 pm

DL dropped SLC-IAD when the second DCA flight started, so it's possible we'll see a return of that flight.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

hispanola

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:56 pm

This is certainly Delta trying to encroach upon American's near-monopoly (a codeshare with Alaska isn't competition). I wish them good luck. This is also good news for loyal AA customers because they will see a drop in prices.
✈️

wenders825

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 pm

OA412 wrote:
DL dropped SLC-IAD when the second DCA flight started, so it's possible we'll see a return of that flight.

I wouldn't be surprised by this. they serve SLC-BWI, I think SLC-IAD would be a good idea too, because having choice works.

flyingcat

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:13 pm

hispanola wrote:
This is certainly Delta trying to encroach upon American's near-monopoly (a codeshare with Alaska isn't competition). I wish them good luck. This is also good news for loyal AA customers because they will see a drop in prices.

Alaska does serve this route on their own metal but AA is top dog as it serves the route twice daily and manages to have to have higher yield by offering morning flights in both directions, which is preferred by corporate traffic

303dk

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:26 pm

commavia wrote:
Not entirely surprising ... another major O&D market added to LAX. I do agree, though, that the choice of LAX over SEA is interesting, and only further informs the dynamic between the two as Delta attempts to use both as hubs/gateways.

LAX has more O&D and Asia bound passengers from DCA are better off connecting at DTW.

VX321

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 pm

SLC is also closer to Seattle and I wouldn't be surprised if the logic behind giving the flight to LAX is because is serves a different part of country and therefore a different market. I guess SEA bound people will just have to fly through SLC for now.

jbpdx

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Maybe DL is anticipating fewer connecting passengers thru SLC to WAS.
^PDX’s one-hit wonders: NK, SY, F9

SLCUT2777

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:04 pm

jbpdx wrote:

It's merely funneling more SLC passengers through MSP, ATL & DTW where there are no perimeter exemptions.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

enilria

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:13 pm

commavia wrote:

Not surprising, and I feel bad for those in SLC that helped them win the allocation.

To rub salt in the wound, I promise it will do better in SLC than LAX. This is a loss-leader move to improve DL's overall standing in the LAX market, although I agree that makes business sense overall. As a stand-alone decision, however, it will be negative and the determination is as easy as this. Demand is not a problem on either route. DL can control the fare to SLC. To LAX they cannot, and that is why it can't perform as well.

This also proves the point I've made many times to much gnashing of teeth, that SLC will suffer from the growth of LAX/SEA. This is the first high-profile example. When DL gets more gates at SEA I would expect more of the same sort of thing.

OMNI435

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:24 pm

VX321 wrote:
SLC is also closer to Seattle and I wouldn't be surprised if the logic behind giving the flight to LAX is because is serves a different part of country and therefore a different market. I guess SEA bound people will just have to fly through SLC for now.

Closer to SEA?? SLC is actually much closer to LAX, by over 100 miles. It actually makes more sense for SEA passengers to connect in MSP or DTW vs SLC. I don't question them choosing LAX over SEA but as far as passenger connectivity inconveniences go, it makes more sense to give it to SEA.

atcpeter

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Doesn't AS still have the SEA-DCA slot for themselves? This just means AS won't have to compete with DL on that particular route and can keep its fares correspondingly higher, no?

MAH4546

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:44 pm

enilria wrote:
commavia wrote:

Not surprising, and I feel bad for those in SLC that helped them win the allocation.

There was no winning this allocation. UA, AA, DL and US were given four exemption slots a few years ago. They did not compete for them. Each got one to do whatever it wants. They were, however, excluded from the competition for the other slots.
a.

usxguy
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:10 pm

thanks for fixing the title, the docket filing didn't mention a 2nd daily flight.
xx

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Not too surprising. Makes sense Delta can probably get a higher per seat cost operating to lax. They must see what AA is getting on the route and want some cash.

redzeppelin

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:36 pm

So this is the second of the flexible exemption awards from 2012 to get moved, right? At the time, DOT allowed four exemptions for incumbent carriers at DCA to swap an existing within-perimeter slot for an out-of-perimeter flight that could be operated to the airport of their choice (all other perimeter exemptions are destination-specific). The choices made by the incumbent carriers were (I had to use wikipedia here to refresh my memory):
1. AA swapped an existing DFW flight to serve LAX
2. UA swapped an existing ORD flight to serve SFO
3. DL swapped an existing LGA flight to serve SLC (this is now being moved to LAX)
4. US swapped an existing DFW flight to serve SAN (this was moved to LAX after merger with AA)

So AA has the distinctive honor of holding 2 of these flexible slots, and now use them both for LAX. They also have exemptions specific to PHX and LAS from HP via US.

As for the SEA chatter, keep in mind that AS already serves SEA-DCA 2x daily with existing exemptions. I would suggest that DL might get better yields as the fourth flight from LAX than as the third flight from SEA. Either way, I agree with those who say that this is a strategic move to strengthen DL's position in LAX. And I would expect that DL already gets enough LAX-DCA connections over the various hubs to fill a flight on most days. It will do fine there. But it still hurts a little for those of us in SLC to see it go.

SurfandSnow

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm not sure people realize what a formidable competitor the merged AS/VX will be at LAX. VX more or less offers competitive service to many of the top domestic/transborder destinations from LAX (BOS/CUN/DAL/EWR/FLL/HNL/IAD/JFK/LAS/MCO/OGG/ORD/SEA/SFO), while AS fills in quite a few popular network holes like BWI, LIR, PDX, PVR, SJD, SJO, SLC and yes, DCA. The merged AS will likely waste no time adding stuff like ASE (QX Q400), ATL, AUS, BNA, KOA, LIH, MSP, MSY, SJC and/or SMF from LAX in its push for Angeleno FFers - in direct competition with DL. Perhaps DL's latest LAX additions ASE, SJD and presumably now DCA are merely a response to AA's recent expansion at LAX, but I have a feeling they are preemptive moves against AS/VX.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

klkla

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:00 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I'm not sure people realize what a formidable competitor the merged AS/VX will be at LAX.

They will have ten gates at T5 plus access to one common gate, giving them the possibility of 90 or so flights a day. How many flights do they have now (combined)?

SFOtoORD

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:10 pm

Smart move by Delta. It's a way to add a domestic flight to LAX that is likely to have decent yields.

What is the full beyond perimeter list right now? I know a few:

AA: LAX x2, PHX, LAS
AS: SEA x2, LAX
DL: LAX, SLC
UA: DEN, SFO
VX: SFO

Others?

SFOtoORD

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:11 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
I'm not sure people realize what a formidable competitor the merged AS/VX will be at LAX. VX more or less offers competitive service to many of the top domestic/transborder destinations from LAX (BOS/CUN/DAL/EWR/FLL/HNL/IAD/JFK/LAS/MCO/OGG/ORD/SEA/SFO), while AS fills in quite a few popular network holes like BWI, LIR, PDX, PVR, SJD, SJO, SLC and yes, DCA. The merged AS will likely waste no time adding stuff like ASE (QX Q400), ATL, AUS, BNA, KOA, LIH, MSP, MSY, SJC and/or SMF from LAX in its push for Angeleno FFers - in direct competition with DL. Perhaps DL's latest LAX additions ASE, SJD and presumably now DCA are merely a response to AA's recent expansion at LAX, but I have a feeling they are preemptive moves against AS/VX.

Sort of. I think they are still either 4th or 5th in ASMs at LAX post-merger.

hiflyeras

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:21 pm

I think you're seeing a lot of pre-emptive additions due to the AS/VX merger by both DL and B6. LAX flyers will be happy to have so many airlines looking to fill their airplanes!

ooslc

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:24 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
Smart move by Delta. It's a way to add a domestic flight to LAX that is likely to have decent yields.

Others?

AS to PDX
B6 to SJU
F9 3x to DEN
AA does PHX 3x
WN to AUS
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

MIflyer12

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:01 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
I'm not sure people realize what a formidable competitor the merged AS/VX will be at LAX.

SFOtoORD wrote:
Sort of. I think they are still either 4th or 5th in ASMs at LAX post-merger.

LAWA publishes some condensed passenger data by carrier that aggregates the (many) regionals into the respective 'parent'.

In passenger count (if not ASMs) AS + VX today would be a distant 5th, behind Southwest.

I won't predict if UA (#3 ) will continue to shed destinations and traffic but AS is not in a strong position to gain significant share at LAX. That's continuing to shape up as quite the gun fight.

SFOtoORD

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:06 am

ooslc wrote:
AS to PDX
B6 to SJU
F9 3x to DEN
AA does PHX 3x
WN to AUS

Thanks. I do think it is strange that DOJ/DOT allowed AA to keep 6 beyond perimeter slots in the merger given the concentrated position they have at DCA. But then again since Congress loves these excemptions so much for their own travel maybe they lobbied for AA to keep them all.

carljanderson

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:49 am

hiflyeras wrote:
I think you're seeing a lot of pre-emptive additions due to the AS/VX merger by both DL and B6. LAX flyers will be happy to have so many airlines looking to fill their airplanes!

I think this is more likely due to some extra gate space at LAX for DL. April is right in the middle on the move to T2/3.

Flighty

Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:08 am

DL, I think we can safely say, never intended to use both flights to SLC. The 2nd SLC effort was likely a thinly disguised deception. That is the funny part about DL's process. They lie, but never with a straight face.

LAX of course is a bigger demand pool with lots of hunger for DCA nonstop. SLC likely is a good performer, and LAX will be too. For credibility reasons, I think DL is likely viewing AA dimly as they load this. They do not want AA to have too many unique offerings at LAX vs other legacies. This is a very choice example.

As for AS/VX, neat theory, but doubt they are the main consideration here.

SANFan

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:04 am

Flighty wrote:
DL, I think we can safely say, never intended to use both flights to SLC. The 2nd SLC effort was likely a thinly disguised deception. That is the funny part about DL's process. They lie, but never with a straight face.

LAX of course is a bigger demand pool with lots of hunger for DCA nonstop. SLC likely is a good performer, and LAX will be too. For credibility reasons, I think DL is likely viewing AA dimly as they load this. They do not want AA to have too many unique offerings at LAX vs other legacies. This is a very choice example.

And silly me actually had hopes that at some point, perhaps DL would consider moving this SLC-DCA authority to SAN-DCA, to provide service in that large and currently unserved market.

But of course in the real world, another flight out of LA is the end result: LAX - 4 SAN - 0. That's about right.

bb

Sightseer

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:18 am

SANFan wrote:
And silly me actually had hopes that at some point, perhaps DL would consider moving this SLC-DCA authority to SAN-DCA, to provide service in that large and currently unserved market.

I think DL is a long shot to start DCA-SAN. AA, AS, and WN are more likely candidates if/when more beyond-perimeter flights become available. DL just has other priorities on the West Coast.

ericm2031

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:19 am

redzeppelin wrote:
1. AA swapped an existing DFW flight to serve LAX

Didn't they switch their SAN slot for LAX?

Florianopolis

Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 am

The Utah congressional delegation will not be pleased.

AABB777

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:37 pm

I would love to see DL put one of their transcon 757s with the Delta One product on the DCA-LAX route. That would surely be a huge draw for premium customers.

Polot

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:51 pm

Sightseer wrote:
SANFan wrote:

I think DL is a long shot to start DCA-SAN. AA, AS, and WN are more likely candidates if/when more beyond-perimeter flights become available. DL just has other priorities on the West Coast.

I think AS and AA getting any additional beyond-perimeter flights is a long shot.

SANFan

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Sightseer wrote:

I agree that it was a longshot. Honestly, I figured SEA-DCA was a more likely use of that moveable slot by DL. I never even considered that DL would jump into the LA-Reagan route that already offered 3 daily nonstops! But since SAN-DCA is unserved and is one of the largest such domestic routes, and DL does have a healthy presence in SAN, I just hoped....

It will probably be years before any additional beyond-perimeter slots are granted or other changes are made to the DCA-situation.
Polot wrote:
I think AS and AA getting any additional beyond-perimeter flights is a long shot.

I personally would scream bloody murder if AA somehow, someday, was granted authority again for SAN-DCA!

AAG, IMO, is the most logical carrier to get such authorization -- they already connect Reagan with SEA, PDX, SFO (as VX currently) and LAX -- and SAN is a focus city for them, meaning there would be connection opportunities over SAN. The carrier was the only one that tried to get the ns authorization during the last Beyond Perimeter hearing in 2012, and I assume they are still very interested in the route.

That being said, I'm afraid you might be right, Polot: the DOT would probably think that DCA-SAN would just be "too much" for one carrier, AS...

bb

ScroogeMcDuck

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:31 pm

VX321 wrote:

Or they could take AS for nonstop service to SEA.

SLCUT2777

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 pm

SANFan wrote:
Flighty wrote:

But of course in the real world, another flight out of LA is the end result: LAX - 4 SAN - 0. That's about right.

bb

I highly doubt you would see DL give up the last SLC-DCA slot in favor of one to SAN. The justification goes on, Why SAN? Why not PDX? A similarly large DL presence.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

phluser

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:06 am

The perimeter rule at DCA should be lifted and the only reason it stays is to protect IAD. But it seems faulty reasoning atleast now.

Assuming no perimeter restriction, if a carrier, let's say DL wants to add another DCA-SLC or DCA-LAX, it will come at the expense of something it operates like a DCA-DTW frequency. But cutting a DTW frequencyfrom DCA will improve the likelihood of an IAD-DTW flight being added. Similarly, if B6 wants to add DCA-SFO at the expense of a DCA-MCO frequency that it operates, it hurts maybe the viability of one given IAD-SFO flight (that a competitor offers) given that DCA now has one more flight, but helps the viability of IAD-MCO being added by some carrier as the DCA-MCO capacity will shrink and fares will become more premium.

As for service to small to mid-size markets, AA, the largest carrier at DCA, makes good revenue on certain mid-small markets like DCA-GSO that there isn't really a threat that AA will go overboard with competitive west coast at the expense of those markets. Even if it did scale back on a few mid to small markets, it would help UA's regional hub efforts at IAD. In general, IAD might suffer with SFO/LAX but would gain service/frequencies to more in perimeter markets.

orangeguy

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:21 am

Delta has been making other changes to their DCA operations. DCA-ATL used to be operated by MD88/90s, but now they operate a mix of A321,757, and 738 on the weekdays. I wonder if this is partly in response to AA starting DCA-ATL earlier this year.

fanoftristars

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:38 am

I belive DL has always done well with this route, even with twice daily. For instance, a mon-fri trip in mid may 2017 is pricing out $774. I used to fly this route years ago, and it was always flown with the ex-Song 757. Now it's the new 199 seat 757 and the 160 seat 738. I'm guessing the morning flight will stay on a 757 and the evening flight will be the one to go.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

FlyPNS1

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:43 am

phluser wrote:
Even if it did scale back on a few mid to small markets, it would help UA's regional hub efforts at IAD. In general, IAD might suffer with SFO/LAX but would gain service/frequencies to more in perimeter markets.

Gaining 50 extra passengers from GSO, while losing 150 from SFO isn't going to make IAD a stronger hub. Removal of the perimeter rule would be a net negative for IAD.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:29 am

They know have performance data to show exactly what SLC brought in with a second flight. They will get that data for lax. Lax will probably be more profitable but if it's not they just apply in a few years to roll back to slc. Simple really , not much risk here for Delta and I bet they see what AA is pulling in and want some .

I know it's less premium seats but why doesnt Delta try a business configured 757 usually used for Europe service? The market is there for 16 business seats.

RWA380

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:15 am

SFOtoORD wrote:

Others?

AS to PDX...
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

TW870

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:52 am

enilria wrote:

This also proves the point I've made many times to much gnashing of teeth, that SLC will suffer from the growth of LAX/SEA. This is the first high-profile example. When DL gets more gates at SEA I would expect more of the same sort of thing.

Of course SLC will "suffer" - but that is unsurprising given the overall rationalization of the industry and not as tragic as you make it sound for SLC. Yes, there will no longer be mid-sized mega-hubs like TW in STL or DL in CVG or US in PIT. But there will absolutely be strong, smaller hubs like DL in SLC. High profile, slot restricted airports like DCA are not going to get multiple daily service to these mid-sized hubs, and that is why the route is moving, even if it means weaker performance (and I agree with you on that about ability to control pricing) in the short run.

The bottom line is that there will be cuts at the mid-sized hubs - indeed no hope of 747-400 non-stops to HKG returning to my home town of MSP! But that does not mean that these hubs are in any kind of jeopardy, or are going to "suffer" in any meaningful way.

michman

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:11 am

SLCUT2777 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

It's merely funneling more SLC passengers through MSP, ATL & DTW where there are no perimeter exemptions.

Plus CVG and JFK (yes, DL is still offering connection options through CVG).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos