Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ747
Topic Author

The danger of boarding pass photos

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:41 am

Came across this article recently. It's astounding to see just how much information can be gained from a simple image posted to social media! Even having the barcode visible can be devastating! So a word of caution... don't post any pics of your boarding pass unless everything important is covered (and don't let your family do it either!).

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/boarding-pass-photo-experiment-that-should-make-every-traveller-nervous/news-story/be046e878c3866dd1bb9c5a1e81d3b37

ALTF4

Re: The danger of boarding pass photos

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:43 pm

It's amazing what people post without thinking. This following example isn't nearly as active as it used to be; I don't know if it's because the person re-tweeting everything has spent less time scouring Twitter, or if there are genuinely fewer of these tweets. I really hope some of them are posted in jest - but scrolling down for a while you see some that likely are real. https://twitter.com/NeedADebitCard

Or pictures of house keys (which can be re-created easily): https://twitter.com/search?f=images&ver ... y&src=typd
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Birdwatching

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:03 pm

I've been amazed for many years how easily you can pull up a reservation on airline web sites. If I remember correctly, at Ryanair you can access a reservation if you know the passenger's last name and date of travel. Once you have access, you can see the whole itinerary, payment info and even cancel the flight with a few clicks.
Even if it's stupid to post a photo or throw the used boarding pass into a trash bin at the airport, I blame the airlines.
In my opinion, the ONLY way to access a reservation online is through a code that is sent to the email address or phone number used while booking.
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

HGL

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:52 am

I can see the danger of posting images of itineraries and boarding passes before a flight occurs but a question: how long after a flight is the information retained and accessible through the web portal?

As the PNRs are recycled and attached to another customer, would not inputting a name and PNR some time after the flight result in a mismatch and error message?
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

aerolimani

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:56 am

Other information, such as you FF number, is often in there. To me, someone knowing my FF# is only one level below knowing my credit card number.

zrs70

Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:30 am

I used to visited uniTIED.com every once in a while. People used to post ticket numbers, phone numbers, PNR's and even credit card numbers. It was insane.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021