ahj2000
Topic Author

Guam to the Mainland?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:33 pm

I've been looking up various things about Air Mike/CO/UA's Guam hublet, and I can't seem to find anything on whether there was ever a nonstop to the continental 48.
It is kind of weird to see a carrier operate a "hub" not touching any domestic hubs. Every itinerary I've looked at goes through NRT, HKG, or HNL.
-Andrés Juánez

PatrickZ80

Re: Guam to the Mainland?

Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:42 pm

It is a bit uncommon indeed, but that's what happens when you got the right to establish a base at basically the other side of the world. Norwegian is doing the same at Guadeloupe and Martinique, they don't touch their European operations either. I guess there's too little demand for a direct flight, it's quite a distance after all and Guam is not that big.

UnitedIsBae

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:07 pm

GUM is a island hopper destination so, starts in HNL and goes to Asia. I remember seeing a 738 at NRT once.
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going PERIOD

UnitedIsBae

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Sorry to add, but HNL-GUM is a 777

LAXintl

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Braniff disastrously tried a LAX nonstop.

For perspective, GUM-HNL is nearly 4,000 miles, about distance from New York to Frankfurt. LAX nonstop would be distance of about NYC to Tehran.

Guam's population including the military presence is about 160,000, not much different than many small towns in America which don't even have an airport with air-service, or at best a regional link.

If anything GUM has amazing air access for such a remote island and its quite fortuitous is beaches and warm climate are in high demand from places like Japan.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

b747400erf

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm

UnitedIsBae wrote:

You can take the long island hopping way, UA154/155

Will UA ever bring back the Cairns flight?

UnitedIsBae

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:18 pm

b747400erf wrote:
UnitedIsBae wrote:

You can take the long island hopping way, UA154/155

Yes, that would be so much more enjoyable.

815Oceanic

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:19 pm

LAXintl wrote:

For perspective, GUM-HNL is nearly 4,000 miles, about distance from New York to Frankfurt. LAX nonstop would be distance of about NYC to Tehran.

Guam's population including the military presence is about 160,000, not much different than many small towns in America which don't even have an airport with air-service, or at best a regional link.

If anything GUM has amazing air access for such a remote island and its quite fortuitous is beaches and warm climate are in high demand from places like Japan.

You're exactly correct. That being said, if Guam invested in infrastructure, it would be a wonderful vacation destination for people from the US. Their beaches are naturally beautiful, but their hotels are run down. Unfortunately, the island of Guam has little money to invest. I'd love to see a x6 flight with a slack widebody from LAX or SFO but I doubt that is in the future.

b747400erf

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 pm

815Oceanic wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

You're exactly correct. That being said, if Guam invested in infrastructure, it would be a wonderful vacation destination for people from the US. Their beaches are naturally beautiful, but their hotels are run down. Unfortunately, the island of Guam has little money to invest. I'd love to see a x6 flight with a slack widebody from LAX or SFO but I doubt that is in the future.

Americans would rather go to Hawaii for cheaper vacation packages. Guam is more popular as a destination in Asia.

UnitedIsBae

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:29 pm

b747400erf wrote:
815Oceanic wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Americans would rather go to Hawaii for cheaper vacation packages. Guam is more popular as a destination in Asia.

i don't know anyone that went to Guam, they don't even know where it is!
such a shame, I want to visit sometime.

815Oceanic

Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:32 pm

b747400erf wrote:
815Oceanic wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Absolutely, but you also have people like me that did whatever it took to get there (I went ORD-PVG-GUM). I would never suggest massive capacity, but I would love to see a once-weekly turn and some investment in the island. If you've never been, they have a wonderful culture and amazing food akin to Hawaii but not quite the same. Of course, as I said, I doubt it will ever happen.

c933103

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Guam Visitor Bureau say in Calendar Year 2015, 90,000 US residents excluding Hawaiian/Guam/CNMI arrived Guam via civilian air transport although it have no indication on where were they traveling from... should be enough to fill 2× or 3× weekly widebody? Chubu area in Japan have similar passenger number but NGO is supporting 2× daily 737... the difference is that all residents in chubu area are focused to NGO and it can also attract some transit passenger, but those who are having US residence are distributed all across the US including from Alaska to Florida and from California to New York, and they might still choose to transit via NRT/PVG/ICN/HNL instead of that direct service wherever the direct service is to connect...
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

irelayer

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Did MNL-GUM-HNL-LAX island hopper on my way back from Asia last year. It's quite a trip for us enthusiasts, although I wouldn't recommend it for others, as it's not significantly cheaper, and the service is "domestic" UA after MNL-GUM (meaning, BoB for a 7 hour flight on a 777!). The coolest thing about it is that it's TWO redeyes sandwiched between a flight that leaves in the morning and arrives at night! Leaving MNL at night, getting to GUM (very earlyyyy) the next morning, and then crossing the international dateline and getting to HNL on the same day I left MNL. Then leaving HNL at about the same time I left MNL on the same exact day, and getting to LAX at 4 AM (straight in from the west approach too, very rare) on the day after I left MNL. I had some major time travel disorientation after that one.

Even though it's domestic service, the legacy CO Mike segments with the GUM based flight crews were a STARK contrast with domestic UA. And by that I mean they were warm, friendly, and enthusiastic about their jobs.

I think it's a shame GUM isn't more accessible from the west coast, but as others have noted, it's a LOOOOONG flight even from LAX. If you are going to do a 10 hour flight to the middle of nowhere, you'd expect to see something like Tahiti or Bora Bora. Might as well hit the Philippines or even Thailand/Vietnam at that point. Better infrastructure, much more to do, and more places to go within 1-hour. Instead it seems to be built around Andersen Air Force Base and the surrounding US territories that need an airlink, and caters more to tourism from Asia. I saw a ton of Korean, Japanese, and Taiwanese flights with connections to Delta's NRT hub as well as the UA traffic.

-IR

spinkid

Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:17 pm

I think its been summed up pretty nicely already, but I'll add my thoughts too.
Even if they built bigger and better resorts in Guam you still wouldn't have the push to go from the U.S. Mainland. There is no one city with a large enough O & D from Guam on the US Mainland. Hawaii offers that, as well as connections to pretty much all the Major US Hubs.

malaysia

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:40 pm

815Oceanic wrote:

Well not only that, they only have like one Hospital for the public and you have to be on a waiting list to use the ER literally. I think I saw in the local newspaper once with a status on vacant bed level in the Hospital.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

jaybird

Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Air Micronesia was started years ago between the island government, Aloha Airlines and Continental. I believe Continental supplied all the aircraft. It was an island-hopper .. 727-100s hopping from Honolulu to Guam and the islands around Guam. It was also branded as Continental Micronesia and then just Continental and now United. When Continental was flying 777-200s between Houston and Honolulu - they did continue one - IAH-HNL-GUM and back. But there hasn't been any GUM-48 states nonstop service. There was also some hotels built on each of the smaller islands I believe ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Micronesia

commavia

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:08 pm

815Oceanic wrote:
That being said, if Guam invested in infrastructure, it would be a wonderful vacation destination for people from the US. Their beaches are naturally beautiful, but their hotels are run down. Unfortunately, the island of Guam has little money to invest. I'd love to see a x6 flight with a slack widebody from LAX or SFO but I doubt that is in the future.

I'm not so sure.

Having visited Guam (and nearby Saipan and Tinian) as part of doing the United HNL-GUM Island Hopper and partaking in some WW2 history, I'll certainly agree that GUM's tourism infrastructure is suboptimal from the perspective of most U.S. leisure travelers. I think it's fair to say that most of the hotels on Guam - let alone Saipan - are much more tailed and optimized for Asian as opposed to U.S. customers. And while the beaches are nice, I wouldn't say they are vastly better than alternatives. That said, the biggest challenge Guam faces in attracting U.S. vacationers that isn't going to change regardless of the infrastructure is just the sheer distance. Americans have such a wide array of quite nice, quite comfortable beach destinations substantially closer to home - including several that you literally have to fly over to get to GUM. Given that, I doubt GUM will ever be a meaningful U.S. tourism destination - it's much better suited for the market to which it currently caters, which is East Asia.

harleydriver

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm

I'm aircrew in the USAF and frequent both Hickam AFB in Hawaii and Anderson AFB in Guam and we usually stay downtown in Guam when we transit there. There is definitely a difference in culture between Hawaii and Guam with Hawaii being tailored to American tourists and Guam tailored to Asian tourists. There both have their similarities and it's worth it to go to Guam to see it's historical sites but once you've been there once and seen everything then I feel Hawaii is the better location for things to do and see and it's convenience to the U.S. mainland.
Last edited by harleydriver on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Department of Redundancy Department

harleydriver

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm aircrew in the USAF and frequent both Hickam AFB in Hawaii and Anderson AFB in Guam and we usually stay downtown in Guam when we transit there. There is definitely a difference in culture between Hawaii and Guam with Hawaii being tailored to American tourists and Guam tailored to Asian tourists. There both have their similarities and it's worth it to go to Guam to see it's historical sites but once you've been there once and seen everything then I feel Hawaii is the better location for things to do and see and it's convenience to the U.S. mainland.
Department of Redundancy Department

NichCage

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Why do Asian tourists go to Guam?

MaxTrimm

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 pm

NichCage wrote:

Hawaii-esque. Beaches and high-end shopping. Presumably cheaper than Hawaii, too.

LAXintl

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:18 pm

NichCage wrote:

Pretty simple.

GUM is only about 3-hours from market like Tokyo.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

815Oceanic

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 pm

commavia wrote:
815Oceanic wrote:
That being said, if Guam invested in infrastructure, it would be a wonderful vacation destination for people from the US. Their beaches are naturally beautiful, but their hotels are run down. Unfortunately, the island of Guam has little money to invest. I'd love to see a x6 flight with a slack widebody from LAX or SFO but I doubt that is in the future.

I'm not so sure.

Having visited Guam (and nearby Saipan and Tinian) as part of doing the United HNL-GUM Island Hopper and partaking in some WW2 history, I'll certainly agree that GUM's tourism infrastructure is suboptimal from the perspective of most U.S. leisure travelers. I think it's fair to say that most of the hotels on Guam - let alone Saipan - are much more tailed and optimized for Asian as opposed to U.S. customers. And while the beaches are nice, I wouldn't say they are vastly better than alternatives. That said, the biggest challenge Guam faces in attracting U.S. vacationers that isn't going to change regardless of the infrastructure is just the sheer distance. Americans have such a wide array of quite nice, quite comfortable beach destinations substantially closer to home - including several that you literally have to fly over to get to GUM. Given that, I doubt GUM will ever be a meaningful U.S. tourism destination - it's much better suited for the market to which it currently caters, which is East Asia.

Yeah, I doubt it as well. However, if they did improve the infrastructure, west coast to GUM would be like east coast to HNL: far and not a huge market, but enough to fill a few planes. I don't think it'll ever happen, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the island. I loved my time there. Luckily, I have enough miles to justify going the distance to get there for cheap.

globalcabotage

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:51 am

Surprised no one has said DL to DTW or ATL since they can handle 779s all over as well as flights to SIN, SYD, and MNL, among others (yet MIA, ORD, and DFW are just taking passengers better routes through ATL and DTW and their significantly higher priced and higher volume O&D traffic).

BNAOWB

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:18 am

How recently did PR discontinue the GUM tech stop on flights from LAX/SFO?

c933103

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:12 am

Actually, Guam is about as far from LAX as Reunion is from Paris, so it is not impossible to make it work but the attractiveness of Guam is probably much less than Reunion....
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Kiwinlondon

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 am

As a matter of interest PA use to run a HNL-GUM-MNL 741 service.I think it may have originated in LAX. I think it was daily back in the 80's IIRC.

Kiwinlondon

rocketPower

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:56 am

I just had a vacation in GUM. I've never been to Hawaii, so it relates to Florida for me. Hot, humid, nice beaches, high end shopping with a contour of ghetto (strip clubs, gun clubs, massage parlors). Some hotels are run down but there are a couple of stellar ones as well.

The best part is relaxing on the beach and watching B1s, B2s, F16s, C17s and C130s on final for the base.

For an expat in Nagoya, it's a great vacation spot in the winter. 3.5 hour direct flight with UA on 737s in decent condition. Fast and cheaper way to escape to the 'west'.

rP
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!

cedarjet

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:10 pm

As rocketPower said, Guam is a bit of a dump — strip clubs, gun clubs, massage parlours, run-down hotels. You'd be out of your mind to fly for 12h from LA for that. However the Island Hopper is fantastic.

<http://theairlineboutique.tumblr.com/post/156186533277/102>
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

KanaHawaii

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:39 pm

jaybird wrote:
Air Micronesia was started years ago between the island government, Aloha Airlines and Continental. I believe Continental supplied all the aircraft. It was an island-hopper .. 727-100s hopping from Honolulu to Guam and the islands around Guam. It was also branded as Continental Micronesia and then just Continental and now United. When Continental was flying 777-200s between Houston and Honolulu - they did continue one - IAH-HNL-GUM and back. But there hasn't been any GUM-48 states nonstop service. There was also some hotels built on each of the smaller islands I believe ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Micronesia

If memory serves me correctly, Air Mike also ran a DC-6 at first, also. As for other airlines that tried - South Pacific Island Airways ran a 707 from Honolulu to Guam, sometimes through Majuro. Hawaiian tried the run for a while during and after SPIA went out of business, I think with DC-8's. That also was out of Honolulu in the infancy of Hawaiians pacific and mainland expansion.

FlyingSicilian

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:01 am

East Asians (and Russians) go to Guam because it is close, nice enough, and "American". Guam has its own visa waiver also so Russians, for example, can go for up to 30 days unlike the 50 US States. I go to Guam about once a year for work and there is major high end shopping down by the main drag and beach hotels. Even regular shopping is a draw; The KMart up the road was insane with Chinese travelers buying boxes of stuff to take back to China. A lot of Japanese tourists enjoy the gun clubs also.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

SonomaFlyer

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:38 am

BNAOWB wrote:
How recently did PR discontinue the GUM tech stop on flights from LAX/SFO?

I think when PR began running 77Ws to the west coast that have the legs to avoid the tech stop.

jlaforteza

Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 am

I for one would love to see another airline, like say Hawaiian or Delta start a flight to Guam from Hawaii or the mainland. Delta has a flight from Narita. We'll see how long that lasts. Unfortunately, United has a hub here, and probably are in bed with our politicians too.

2travel2know2

Sat May 06, 2017 12:31 am

ANC happens to be in the North American mainland too.
Aslo ANC-GUM is shorter than SEA/SFO/LAX-GUM.
And as a bonus: Seems it has open-skies with China.
UA SFO/ORD-ANC-GUM- China
I'm not on CM's payroll.

c933103

Sat May 06, 2017 6:10 am

2travel2know2 wrote:

Where is the demand? And ANC is not part of the American mainland 48 states

77H

Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 am

[photoid][/photoid]
c933103 wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:

Where is the demand? And ANC is not part of the American mainland 48 states

2travel2know2 never said it was part of the 48 contiguous... he said it is part of the NA mainland which is completely accurate.

77H

b747400erf

Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 am

c933103 wrote:
Actually, Guam is about as far from LAX as Reunion is from Paris, so it is not impossible to make it work but the attractiveness of Guam is probably much less than Reunion....

Do not overlook the hemisphere factor. Flying 10 hours due west from America you may have a hotter climate but it is still the same season. Not so with travel from north to far south, you can escape the cold winters.

maxamuus

Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Way back in CO days, when Greg Brenneman was with the company i asked this question at a employee meeting. He said at the time that LAX-HNL made a little money, HNL-GUM made A LOT of money. They had crunched the numbers and if they started a LAX-GUM it would result in LAX-GUM losing money, HNL-GUM then losing money, and LAX-HNL likewise loosing money. So at the time he said it just never made sense.

Who knows what the math is like these days.

2travel2know2

Sat May 06, 2017 3:30 pm

c933103 wrote:
Where is the demand?
U.S. military: There are enlisted and service personnel at both ends.
Cargo: Those Asians tourist on Guam craving for fresh seafood and other fresh produce from Alaska.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

c933103

Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 pm

b747400erf wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Do not overlook the hemisphere factor. Flying 10 hours due west from America you may have a hotter climate but it is still the same season. Not so with travel from north to far south, you can escape the cold winters.

Mariana belongs to tropical. Meaning there are no Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter, only Dry/Wet season.
And if Hemisphere is really that important a factor, there's American Samoa

2travel2know2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Where is the demand?
Cargo: Those Asians tourist on Guam craving for fresh seafood and other fresh produce from Alaska.

How many Alaskan currently servicing in west. pacific and v.v.? And why would Asian tourist want to enjoy Alaskan fresh product in Guam when the home of quite a few of those Asian are probably closer to Alaska than Guam's from Alaska?

airportugal310

Sat May 06, 2017 6:38 pm

One of my Japanese suppliers told me not long ago that "less affluent" Japanese go to Guam and beaches in that area, and more affluent Japanese go to Hawai'i. No idea if that's true or not, but I had to take their word for it. Debate away...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

TransGlobalGold

Sat May 06, 2017 7:14 pm

LAXintl wrote:

By the time BN tried GUM, they were throwing spaghetti on the wall to see if anything stuck. A couple times a week the to west coast on a 787 might work, but I don't see it happening.

WPvsMW

Sat May 06, 2017 9:34 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
One of my Japanese suppliers told me not long ago that "less affluent" Japanese go to Guam and beaches in that area, and more affluent Japanese go to Hawai'i. No idea if that's true or not, but I had to take their word for it. Debate away...

True. You will also see more extensive tattoo coverage and partial digits there compared with Hawaii.

777PHX

Sat May 06, 2017 11:30 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Where is the demand?

I disagree on both accounts.

Any military traffic would be better served through Hawaii or San Diego considering it's mostly naval in nature.

And seafood? Really? I'd venture to guess most Asian traffic visiting Guam is coming from Japan which already has access to great seafood. I'm sure seafood isn't a major factor in attracting Asians to Guam.

FlyingSicilian

Sun May 07, 2017 12:09 am

777PHX wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Where is the demand?

I disagree on both accounts.

Any military traffic would be better served through Hawaii or San Diego considering it's mostly naval in nature.

And seafood? Really? I'd venture to guess most Asian traffic visiting Guam is coming from Japan which already has access to great seafood. I'm sure seafood isn't a major factor in attracting Asians to Guam.

Fair amount of Air Force too, but the military also has the Space A option, which while not huge, still takes away from some of the commercial tickets that could be bought.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Jamake1

Sun May 07, 2017 5:41 am

Even during CO's worst operational and financial periods during the early 1990's, their service in the Pacific market was excellent. One of the best inflight experiences I've ever had was on a CO DC-10 routing GUM-HNL-SFO in Business Class. This must've been about 1992.

The link below is an excellent internally produced video that was made to honor Air Micronesia's history. It is a great watch...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7k-AL2cTU-Q
Come fly the sun.

77H

Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Where is the demand?

HNL-GUM on UA doesn't take much in the way cargo. The flight is mostly USPS mail. As a matter of fact, there is so much mail that UA charters freighters from P9 to handle mail overflow. I am not sure what DL or 5X carry in the way of cargo. DL serves HNL-GUM via NRT and 5X has a Saturday nonstop to GUM that connects to HKG. Most perishables come from the West Coast and connect via NRT to GUM.

77H

strfyr51

Sun May 07, 2017 12:33 pm

UnitedIsBae wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
815Oceanic wrote:

i don't know anyone that went to Guam, they don't even know where it is!
such a shame, I want to visit sometime.

I was stationed at NAS Agana Guam.. It was OK and we had an ok time when off duty It was Not on the scale of Hawaii in any sense

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos