Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

downtown273

Re: Norwegian Cork-US flights will be confirmed in "days"

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 am

OA260 wrote:
downtown273 wrote:
Fantastic news!! :)

The press release says the flights are now out for sale - however, Cork and Belfast don't even feature as original airports on their website yet.

Yes its a case of press release before the website was fully loaded. I am sure they will get it loaded shortly.

Indeed. Dublin-NYC is now bookable, for example. Round-trip fares are £126 for the summer.

B747forever

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Wow are those ticket cheap for being in the middle of summer. For instance DUB-PVD round trip in July for about 140EUR.
Work Hard, Fly Right

hibtastic

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:58 pm

There is a good summary of the new routes in this article:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/norwegian-transatlantic-737-flights-to-begin-in-june-434464/

Essentially:

EDI to SWF, PVD and BDL
BFS to SWF and PVD
DUB to SWF abd PVD
SNN to SWF and PVD
ORK to PVD

First routes launch from EDI on 15th June.

lavalampluva

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Will that area be able to support that much? I mean that there is a lot of overlapping coverage, and none of those airports would have much for connecting traffic. Maybe SWF will do alright due to its proximity to NYC.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Mortyman

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:09 pm

Norwegian is to launch 50 New routes in total this year and hire 2000 New employes globally.

http://e24.no/naeringsliv/norwegian-air ... t/23932580

lesfalls

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:28 pm

So happy to finnaly see that they announced it! One strange thing though is that they didn't announce BGO even though they apllied for it. Could it be that they will announce it at a later stage? Another thing is that the aircraft will stay quite a long time on the ground in Ireland. Could it be that they will announce some more short-haul flights from IRL with the aircraft originating in the states?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

runway23

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Norwegian's 737Max's have a significant amount of time where nothing is scheduled, would be hard to imagine they don't schedule some additional within Europe between the morning arrival and mid-afternoon departures to/from the US.

Will be interesting to watch and see if EI/IAG react with new routes from the Irish airports Norwegian will serve.

n272wa

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:57 pm

lesfalls wrote:
So happy to finnaly see that they announced it! One strange thing though is that they didn't announce BGO even though they apllied for it. Could it be that they will announce it at a later stage? Another thing is that the aircraft will stay quite a long time on the ground in Ireland. Could it be that they will announce some more short-haul flights from IRL with the aircraft originating in the states?

They also today announced Dublin to Stockholm. In addition to the existing routes from Dublin to Helsinki, Copenhagen and Oslo.

VS11

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Happy to see the flights bookable! Good luck to Norwegian! They managed to utilize the lowest cost available aircraft to tap into new and unserved markets. Great thinking outside of the proverbial box! am I personally very excited for EDI - great addition for New England.

filipair

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Awesome news! Waiting for Norwegian to announce ORD.

georgiabill

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm

I wish DY would add EDI-BOS-EDI daily summer and 3 or 4 times rest of year and ORK-BOS-ORK daily summers and the days EDI-BOS-EDI do not operate during winter season. I think both routes would do very well from BOS.

Freshside3

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:43 pm

ASA

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm

georgiabill wrote:
I wish DY would add EDI-BOS-EDI daily summer and 3 or 4 times rest of year and ORK-BOS-ORK daily summers and the days EDI-BOS-EDI do not operate during winter season. I think both routes would do very well from BOS.

I think so too! :(

Somewhat surprised (and bummed) that DY picked PVD over BOS. Granted the fares/fees are lower - but overall - it is not the same market. I believe EDI and ORK both would have done substantially stronger from BOS (don't know much about Belfast connections). Along with Norwegian's LGW, OSL, CPH and Caribbean flights, Logan could have been a strong Norwegian operation for the East Coast ... a strong brand and marketing advantage.

eal

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:25 pm

A quick dummy search of a flight from Stewart to Edinburgh in the middle of June pulls up fares around $505 dollars, flying from JFK to LHR is about $650 during the same time period on pretty much every other carrier. Given the fees and transportation costs to get inbetween these out of the waya airports, I genuinely don't see much of an advantage considering you'll probably end up spending the same. But granted if you're planning on visiting just Scotland, than this is a viable option.

VS11

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:33 pm

eal wrote:
A quick dummy search of a flight from Stewart to Edinburgh in the middle of June pulls up fares around $505 dollars, flying from JFK to LHR is about $650 during the same time period on pretty much every other carrier. Given the fees and transportation costs to get inbetween these out of the waya airports, I genuinely don't see much of an advantage considering you'll probably end up spending the same. But granted if you're planning on visiting just Scotland, than this is a viable option.

I also noted the fares out of PVD are not super cheap. Maybe they expect higher demand for US originating trips so those tend to be higher. I didn't see any introductory $69 fares out of PVD,

tysmith95

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:53 pm

PVD is a good location for european tourists who want to visit Cape Cod. Closer then BOS to the beaches. I think these routes will do well in the summer however i'm sure demand will drop off a good bit in the winter.

OA260

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:10 pm

tysmith95 wrote:
PVD is a good location for european tourists who want to visit Cape Cod. Closer then BOS to the beaches. I think these routes will do well in the summer however i'm sure demand will drop off a good bit in the winter.

Agreed. People are thinking BOS but they need to think of the bigger picture. PVD serves many other places.

RL757PVD

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 pm

People talking up BOS need to figure out where they are going to park an international arrival between 6pm and 8pm.... June-sept aircraft are already waiting an hour for a gate on average.

There are abundant ethnic ties within a 1 drive from PVD. A 1 hr drive gets you everything Boston, metro west to Worcester and south. The flight times also work great with the MBTA times for train service to Boston.

They are bullish on SWF because NYC is obviously a much larger market but my money (all biases aside) is they will be more successful at PVD due to what the non major market (nyc and Boston proper) offers and connectivity (rail and bus)
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

by738

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Yeah I really dont get these distant regional airport destinations, and the fare promotions are misleading to the average punter. Will be very interested to see the schedules the following year

enilria

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm only really feeling good about the DUB service. The rest seems pretty iffy, although they will fill them up in Summer at those fares. I really don't see how Winter will work.

OA260

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Norwegian Air sells over 5,000 flights after announcing Ireland-US flights
Airline will fly 24 times a week from Dublin, Cork, Belfast and Shannon airports

Norwegian Air International said it sold more than 5,000 flights within hours of announcing services to the US from Irish airports on Thursday.

The airline will fly 24 times a week from Belfast, Cork, Dublin and Shannon to the northeastern US from July to October, when it will cut the frequency of its services for winter.

A spokesman said that it sold more than 5,000 flights within six hours of announcing details of flights from the Republic’s three State-owned airports at 11am on Thursday. “We think that it was our fastest launch sale ever,” he added.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... -1.2986414

RL757PVD

Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 pm

enilria wrote:
I'm only really feeling good about the DUB service. The rest seems pretty iffy, although they will fill them up in Summer at those fares. I really don't see how Winter will work.

There may be a fighting chance for some... EDI and ORK are not offered from BOS and furthermore, ORK has no other TATL option which could be a boost to the service.

VS11

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:06 am

RL757PVD wrote:
enilria wrote:

There may be a fighting chance for some... EDI and ORK are not offered from BOS and furthermore, ORK has no other TATL option which could be a boost to the service.

Can't say much about the NY flights as I don't know that area but I am pretty optimistic about the New England flights. First, PVD has changed quite a bit and is an attraction on its own. Second, Brown University is in there so lots of students. Third, it is not far from Boston - lots of people from the metro area can easily go - you can just park and leave your car there. Yale is also close to Hartford so that should help. And let's not forget, B737's are easy to fill and cheap to operate. Judging by the press release, these flights are a huge success!

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:22 am

Why are their planes sitting around for 6-8 hours in Europe? Do they plan to operate a European return?

uconn99

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:50 am

RamblinMan wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
Airports like BTS, LPL, GRO, CRL, etc have all made use of larger close-by cities. Its part of what FR is famous for! Public transport at JFK isn't exactly world class, BOS is no better, so while Rhode Island wouldn't be my first choice, if I were hiring a car in any case I don't know that it would make much difference.

Sure, for folks renting a car and heading to places in western Mass, for instance, PVD is probably more convenient. But you're talking about a pretty small fraction of the southern Ireland to New England market. In theory this could attract bargain-hunters who would take the Norwegian flight and then book an onward connection to other US cities but PVD pretty much only has Big 4 service to the main hubs.

I'm not knocking Cork or Providence they're both lovely places, but a transatlantic flight between two secondary markets is a risky proposition. I'm sure if they price it right they can fill the plane...but actually making money is going to be tough.

BDL would be a much better options for Western Mass over PVD.

I am interested how the BDL flight will work out, I really dont think it will have much impact on the DUB flight considering the amount of connections from DUB and pre-clear back into BDL.

lowfareair

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 am

I'm sure it has been discussed elsewhere, but a quick Google search doesn't find it. How much further can Norwegian push the range of the MAX 8 on the westbound flights in January? These are pretty short TATL hops. If 3,200ish miles is the 'MAX' (pun completely intended) they can go, it really limits the routes they can use this on. I know the range is stated as 4,000 miles or so, but that doesn't account for the pretty sharp headwinds for winter westbound TATL flights.

BestWestern

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:06 am

Parking the aircraft in Europe for a few hours between flights will hopefully result in an excellent dispatch reliability. Perhaps they have learned from the 787 introduction and the ongoing WOW chaos.

PVD will work as it is a market of its own. SWF will be less successful, especially to Belfast.

Shannon is highly seasonal from the US, and I hope winter will be sustainable.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

B747forever

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:10 am

BestWestern wrote:
Parking the aircraft in Europe for a few hours between flights will hopefully result in an excellent dispatch reliability. Perhaps they have learned from the 787 introduction and the ongoing WOW chaos.

They get about 15-16hours of operations in a 24hour window which is good enough. No need to do an extra rotation in Europe and risk having constant delays with no room to catch up. A sensible approach.
Work Hard, Fly Right

CairnterriAIR

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:13 am

uconn99 wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
Airports like BTS, LPL, GRO, CRL, etc have all made use of larger close-by cities. Its part of what FR is famous for! Public transport at JFK isn't exactly world class, BOS is no better, so while Rhode Island wouldn't be my first choice, if I were hiring a car in any case I don't know that it would make much difference.

Sure, for folks renting a car and heading to places in western Mass, for instance, PVD is probably more convenient. But you're talking about a pretty small fraction of the southern Ireland to New England market. In theory this could attract bargain-hunters who would take the Norwegian flight and then book an onward connection to other US cities but PVD pretty much only has Big 4 service to the main hubs.

I'm not knocking Cork or Providence they're both lovely places, but a transatlantic flight between two secondary markets is a risky proposition. I'm sure if they price it right they can fill the plane...but actually making money is going to be tough.

BDL would be a much better options for Western Mass over PVD.

I am interested how the BDL flight will work out, I really dont think it will have much impact on the DUB flight considering the amount of connections from DUB and pre-clear back into BDL.

BDL will most likely do well. Low fares will appeal to first time transatlantic travelers, students, and visiting family and friends. The Aer Lingus service draws a different clientele....business travelers to Europe connecting onward, a heavy Irish population, Frequent flyers building miles, and travel agent booked groups. So far it seems to be doing very well. My guess is the two flights will coexist, a benefit for BDL as expanded transatlantic service is more publicity.....poaching traffic from the bigger airports.

Wingtips56

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:53 am

Will Norwegian have enough Maxs in the stable by June to pull this schedule off?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

RL757PVD

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 am

Whats interesting, is If I pieced it together correctly (based on the routesonline link earlier).... PVD has 2 holes in the schedule of a 2/6 departure and a 3/7 arrival. The article on the providence journal teased a 6th destination... could it be BGO? Weird they wouldn't announce it all as one but perhaps a separate announcement for Norway vs Ireland/Scotland?

bluefltspecial

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:28 am

Don't get too excited, 189 passengers in the 737-Max... that's 14 more than WN
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

pompos

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:21 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Will Norwegian have enough Maxs in the stable by June to pull this schedule off?

"Six aircraft are due for delivery in 2017 – two in May and four in June – and the airline has confirmed that at least four of the Boeing 737s will be based in the Greater New York City area and the Greater Boston area next year. Its schedules confirm that the remaining two aircraft will be stationed at Edinburgh Airport in Scotland to support twice daily flights across all three new US destinations." according to Routesonline.

oslmgm

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:31 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
Whats interesting, is If I pieced it together correctly (based on the routesonline link earlier).... PVD has 2 holes in the schedule of a 2/6 departure and a 3/7 arrival. The article on the providence journal teased a 6th destination... could it be BGO? Weird they wouldn't announce it all as one but perhaps a separate announcement for Norway vs Ireland/Scotland?

There IS something strange:

D81823 DUB1545 – 1835PVD 7M8 x246
D81823 DUB1555 – 1845PVD 7M8 4

On Norwegian's website
- 15:45 flight: Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays
- 15:55 flight: Wednesdays

I don't know what the x means, but some of the days seem to be mixed up in the routesonline info

centrex

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:11 pm

x246 means daily except day 2,4,6. Counting from Mon so no flights on TUE,THU,SAT.

on those flights in general - everything will be based on sales out of US. 75% of sales must be generated there. sold to the people who have cars to drive to those airports. Population probably high enough to make it work as long as demand for UK/IRE is strong. For inbound travel it is hardly a product for shorter breaks to the big cities to fly to those airports, for longer trips maybe not such a big deal. Many of those flights are already pushing the Max 8 range with 189 pax so let´s see how many flights will divert to Gander next winter. If operations are o.k. DY may try something longer like MAN.

VS4ever

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:18 pm

centrex wrote:
x246 means daily except day 2,4,6. Counting from Mon so no flights on TUE,THU,SAT.

on those flights in general - everything will be based on sales out of US. 75% of sales must be generated there. sold to the people who have cars to drive to those airports. Population probably high enough to make it work as long as demand for UK/IRE is strong. For inbound travel it is hardly a product for shorter breaks to the big cities to fly to those airports, for longer trips maybe not such a big deal. Many of those flights are already pushing the Max 8 range with 189 pax so let´s see how many flights will divert to Gander next winter. If operations are o.k. DY may try something longer like MAN.

While I agree with your sentiment, i am not sure that would be a deal breaker for MAN, on great circle mapper, it's only 84 miles further. Or put another way about 15-20 minutes flight time. The bigger risk comes with trying something a little crazier like CDG or BCN which are 300 and 500 miles further.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

oslmgm

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:50 pm

centrex wrote:

ah, thanks - so it was just that the timings of the WED and THU flights were switched.

centrex wrote:
on those flights in general - everything will be based on sales out of US. 75% of sales must be generated there. sold to the people who have cars to drive to those airports. Population probably high enough to make it work as long as demand for UK/IRE is strong. For inbound travel it is hardly a product for shorter breaks to the big cities to fly to those airports, for longer trips maybe not such a big deal.

I don't really understand why it's only for people with cars/from the US - won't there be coaches/buses from/to the airport? Where I live there are always coaches corresponding with flights the size of 737s. If the ride takes 30-45 minutes extra compared to the major airports, that's not a problem (not even for a short stay) if the plane tickets are cheaper. Europeans are certainly not afraid of this - that's how Ryanair became the biggest airline in Europe: Cheaper flights, a bit more inconvenient.

by738

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm

I hadnt realised these were more than seasonal. Mid winter to the back of beyond? Even mainline carriers ie UA struggle in the winter with significantly cut schedules (and they have all the additional connecting traffic and frequent fliers)
These winter flights will be the ones to watch...

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 am

The IAG/Aer Lingus reaction:

Speaking after their release on Friday, Mr Kavanagh confirmed that Aer Lingus is considering offering fares that exclude some extras on its US flights in response to Norwegian Air International’s arrival into the transatlantic market.

Someone83

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:32 pm

runway23 wrote:
Norwegian's 737Max's have a significant amount of time where nothing is scheduled, would be hard to imagine they don't schedule some additional within Europe between the morning arrival and mid-afternoon departures to/from the US.

Will be interesting to watch and see if EI/IAG react with new routes from the Irish airports Norwegian will serve.

Probably more to come, but the two -8MAX tjatbwill be EDI based (the four others will be based in PVD/SWF) will at least fly 4x weekly EDI-OSL from Oct 29th

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Someone83 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

Probably more to come, but the two -8MAX tjatbwill be EDI based (the four others will be based in PVD/SWF) will at least fly 4x weekly EDI-OSL from Oct 29th

EDI 11:25-14:30 OSL D81640
OSL 14:50-15:40 EDI D81641

It seems to be daily excluding Sunday from this summer.

PatrickZ80

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm

by738 wrote:
I hadnt realised these were more than seasonal. Mid winter to the back of beyond? Even mainline carriers ie UA struggle in the winter with significantly cut schedules (and they have all the additional connecting traffic and frequent fliers)
These winter flights will be the ones to watch...

Still plenty of demand for them if you look at the fares. None of them are still at the introductionary fare, they're all one or two steps up. This means the first number of chairs has already been sold on each flight, and they're still far away.

Norwegian does reduce the frequency during the winter, from daily to three times weekly, but I guess they still expect to fill the remaining flights.

Natflyer

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Norwegian is to launch 50 New routes in total this year and hire 2000 New employes globally.

http://e24.no/naeringsliv/norwegian-air ... t/23932580

You mean 2000 contractors, not employees. Employees have benefits, vacations, retirement funds etc. Something Bjorn Kjos works hard to abolish.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos