Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BelAviaFan
Topic Author

Baby born in mid-air on Turkish Airlines flight TK538 to Istanbul

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 pm

This Friday Diaby Nafi from France successfully gave birth mid-flight on a Turkish Airlines flight TK538 from Conakry to Istanbul via Ouagadougou. She was assisted by the trained cabin crew. The baby girl was named “Kadiju”.

http://www.luchtzak.be/airlines/turkish-airlines/baby-born-mid-air-turkish-airlines-flight-tk538-istanbul/

BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

BN727227Ultra

Re: Baby born in mid-air on Turkish Airlines flight TK538 to Istanbul

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:37 pm

:birthday: Yay baby!

Flightsimboy

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 pm

The FA looks happy. A fantastic memory for the child.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

flyingclrs727

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:07 pm

I thought Turkish airlines didn't allow women in the ninth month of pregnancy to fly.

toobz

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 pm

It just shocks me everytime I hear this happening...who in their right mind travels this close to giving birth?? Something very wrong with people.

mercure1

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:09 am

Congrats to crew for playing midwife.

mercure f-wtcc

anshabhi

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:44 am

Were the FA's trained for this? A similar incident happened on PAL last year..

Mayday111

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 am

toobz wrote:
It just shocks me everytime I hear this happening...who in their right mind travels this close to giving birth?? Something very wrong with people.

Exactly!

Wouldn't one stay at home if they were that close to the date of delivery?

ltbewr

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:24 am

Mayday111 wrote:
toobz wrote:

Exactly!

We cannot understand the reasoning but it may be very important and rational for those woman. Going to have the child in their home country so considered a citizen jus soil, easier for all to assure citizenship for child as to some countries or going to another country you want your child born in, like the USA. They might want to be with their doctor and family when they give birth. They might have want to be in their home country so the birth is covered by health insurance or national health care services. They could have mis-timed their expected birth date range, the birth could be premature. Maybe they delayed flying due to other situations in their lives, wanted a cheaper flight. They might not have been having regular doctor visits or tests to know their stage of pregnancy.
We hope that when a baby is born as apparently here, there were no complications for the baby or the mother, but if there were, it would be costly for a diversion or worse, a baby or mother in danger.

Mayday111

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:04 am

ltbewr wrote:
Mayday111 wrote:
toobz wrote:

Exactly!

We cannot understand the reasoning but it may be very important and rational for those woman. Going to have the child in their home country so considered a citizen jus soil, easier for all to assure citizenship for child as to some countries or going to another country you want your child born in, like the USA. They might want to be with their doctor and family when they give birth. They might have want to be in their home country so the birth is covered by health insurance or national health care services. They could have mis-timed their expected birth date range, the birth could be premature. Maybe they delayed flying due to other situations in their lives, wanted a cheaper flight. They might not have been having regular doctor visits or tests to know their stage of pregnancy.
We hope that when a baby is born as apparently here, there were no complications for the baby or the mother, but if there were, it would be costly for a diversion or worse, a baby or mother in danger.

I realize that my comment has not taken these factors into account, but at the time I was typing out my initial reaction.

MillwallSean

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:58 am

I am amazed at the ability of some passengers and crew to handle a childbirth as well. Impressive.
Most western countries have changed the legislation to make birth tourism less common and the rules tend to be that one or more parent should have the legal right to live and work in the country for any residence permit to be give to a baby. Common sense approach.

With this lady being "French", according to the news, I will assume she either has french PR or citizenship. I think it is also safe to assume that she has Guinean heritage and my guess is thus that she just wanted to give birth in France and was returning "home" to do so. Probably after having spent the pregnancy time with her family.

Having been an expat for the last 20 years, giving birth in the right place was an issue that used to matter to me.
My latest, and probably last, child born was born in Brunei Darussalam. We had together with our midwife (she was a doctor) made a plan to ensure the child would be born in her mums Singapore.
In Week 35 my wife stopped working and left Auckland to join me in Brunei. My wife didnt like the NZ (Auckland) maternity procedures. You give birth in one building and are then sent (after 6 hours) to another building about 500 - 1km away or home. There was also a fair bit of pressure to go home as soon as possible due to a chronic shortage of neonatal beds.
Singapore was thus the set place for her. All was fine and dandy and the local midwife/doctor ensured my wife was fit to fly and they suggested when this should be done to be safe and secure. We complied with every advice they gave and of course with regulations.
Yet 4 hours after my wife landed in Brunei (and 4 days before our flight home to Singapore) the water broke and soon after a screaming girl was born into this world (She had her first flight MYY-SIN at age 2 weeks - one should start them young).

Childbirth isn't a science. We had followed every rule and had worked together with a qualified NZ medical doctor and midwife and its pure luck that my wife didn't have to give birth in the air.
However in Brunei, the doctors stated that longhaul air pressure sometimes leads to commencement of labour (Brunei doctors were trained at some of the best US and UK universities) and well it may be one reason that children are born on flights despite all rules having been adhered too. After all most airlines refuse carriage from week 36 and demands doctors notes from week 32.

With that said, for those slightly poorer, such as the amount of Asian maids who we often read about giving birth, I think they face financial and contractual obligations and doesn't have the choice of when to depart like privileged persons have. I also think that in many cases their employer gets the doctor to issue a note stating the person is fit to fly and well its not after a check up but instead given as a service...

FYI .In Brunei we went to a clinic where rooms where either single en-suites with bubble-baths and 24/7 nurse plus maidservice or a one bedroom with kitchen, 24/7 nurse and maid-service.
Tip to all expats, give birth at private clinics - its all and more you'd ever ask for. And whats more the price, it only cost us 760 Singapore/Brunei dollars for 3 days plus childbirth. A bargain if there ever was one.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

KentB27

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I thought Turkish airlines didn't allow women in the ninth month of pregnancy to fly.

That may be true but that doesn't mean the rule is always enforced.

Galwayman

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:20 am

Well done the Turkish Airlines crew . And they still look cool calm and collected after delivering the baby .

Who knows why the mother needed to travel , walk a mile in her shoes ..

Tkfan

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:45 pm

According to a turkish Newssite she was in the 28. Week of pregnancy.
http://m.airporthaber.com/thy-haberleri ... yolcu.html

Well within the limits of Turkish Airlines and international rules.

She is referred as Princess :-D

https://mobile.twitter.com/undefined/st ... 2956682240

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos