LAXintl
Topic Author

Scoot applies for US service

Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Scoot Tigerair Pte, has applied with the DOT for a foreign air carrier permit and route authorization.

Scott says it seeks to commence service to Honolulu via Osaka Japan using Boeing 787 equipment during second half of 2017.

OST-2017-0064

=

Should be fun to watch with Air Asia X doing same thing.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

TheGeordielad

Re: Scoot applies for US service

Tue May 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Interesting Scoot is going straight against Air Asia.
Anyway hope they do well.

mercure1

Tue May 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Having both AAX and TZ on the KIX-HNL route will likely kill profitability for other airlines (DL, HA, JL) in the market.

Wonder if anyone will give it up? DL seems weakest.
mercure f-wtcc

lesfalls

Tue May 09, 2017 6:35 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Having both AAX and TZ on the KIX-HNL route will likely kill profitability for other airlines (DL, HA, JL) in the market.

Bet that we'll see DL complain that they shouldn't be permited to fly to the U.S soon.....
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

eal

Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Waiting for Air Asia X or Scott to go all out and start SIN/KUL-TPE/KIX-OAK/LAX...one can wait.

bzcat

Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

eal wrote:
Waiting for Air Asia X or Scott to go all out and start SIN/KUL-TPE/KIX-OAK/LAX...one can wait.

How about SIN/KUL-TPE-ONT?

Never been tried before and the new ONT airport authority may be interested in subsidizing something like this. There should be enough O&D demand to fill discount Y between ONT and TPE on 3x weekly basis. Yield will be trash but this is the business they are in right?

TerminalD

Tue May 09, 2017 7:19 pm

lesfalls wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Bet that we'll see DL complain that they shouldn't be permited to fly to the U.S soon.....

5th FREEDOM IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!

Doesn't DL fly NRT-SIN? But that's different of course (research pending on why)...

MaverickM11

Tue May 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Nothing says low cost like a longhaul tag in a market where you have next to zero point of sale advantage... Low revenue too!
E pur si muove -Galileo

ITB

Tue May 09, 2017 9:54 pm

mercure1 wrote:

DL does seem the weakest, unfortunately. Considering Delta's general pull back in Asia, I can't see them trying hard to keep flying HNL-KIX.

Will either AAX or TZ have fifth freedom rights in Japan?

CanadaFair

Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 pm

AAX has fifth freedom.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed May 10, 2017 12:13 am

mercure1 wrote:

Tend to agree. KIX-HNL is hardly a prime or strategic route for DL.

ITB wrote:

Yes they will. The primary business case for both airlines is generating Japan-Hawaii sales.

AAX is teamed up with Japans largest e-retailer whose travel division that will help push the flight. Wonder what Scoot will do?

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 10, 2017 12:20 am

Scoot can do on the Pacific what Norweigan, WOW, and Iceland are doing over the Atlantic. The market for ULCC is huge they are where the growth is going to be. There is absolutely demand for a scoot across the Pacific. Eventually we will see a ULCC in almost every major market.

x1234

Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 am

The 787 can do SIN-HNL non-stop. A route far more lucrative. Or even HKG-HNL. Why stop in Japan with all the competition!?

LAX772LR

Wed May 10, 2017 1:28 am

x1234 wrote:
The 787 can do SIN-HNL non-stop. A route far more lucrative. Or even HKG-HNL. Why stop in Japan with all the competition!?

Reverse your question and you'll get your answer. There's so much competition there, because there's so much DEMAND.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Coal

Wed May 10, 2017 1:32 am

x1234 wrote:

Before opening the thread I knew it would be HNL, but I am disappointed it's not a non-stop. I'd love to visit Hawaii, but having to fly all the way via Japan makes it less desirable to go.
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

afterburner

Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 am

FYI, (Malaysia) AirAsia X's IATA code is D7.

commavia

Wed May 10, 2017 2:09 am

ITB wrote:
DL does seem the weakest, unfortunately. Considering Delta's general pull back in Asia, I can't see them trying hard to keep flying HNL-KIX.

Yep - as expected.

Routes linking Japan's major cities with beach destinations in Hawaii and Micronesia are natural markets for the rising Asian low fare airlines like Jetstar, Air Asia, etc. - they're high volume and price-sensitive.

I continue to believe this is just the beginning of growth from these types of airlines into these types of markets, and I agree that Delta is exposed. The economics of shuttling vacationers from TYO, OSA, NGO and FUK to Hawaii and Micronesia may make sense for Delta with low-ownership-cost 757s and 767s and still relatively-minimal low-fare competition. But as those older aircraft are reassigned and/or retired, and low-fare competition intensifies - not to mention as Delta's overall focus in Asia naturally shifts from Japan to Korea - I suspect Delta will, indeed, ultimately exit much if not all of this flying.

airzona11

Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 am

Isn't DL flying 763s on this route? Seems like some low risk flying and a huge market. Not too terrible logistically to rotate a 767 through HNL. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss DL on this route. Plus, the volume of Japan-HNL traffic is huge, this doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.

While DL is on the way out of the Japanese market, they aren't new to it.

commavia

Wed May 10, 2017 2:39 am

airzona11 wrote:
Isn't DL flying 763s on this route? Seems like some low risk flying and a huge market. Not too terrible logistically to rotate a 767 through HNL. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss DL on this route. Plus, the volume of Japan-HNL traffic is huge, this doesn't have to be a zero-sum game.

I don't think anyone is "dismiss[ing]" Delta in the KIX-HNL market, or virtually any other Japan beach markets - but I do agree with others that Delta is probably the weakest competitor in this market, for a variety of reasons. As said, I agree that flying nearly- or fully-amortized, and fairly appropriately-configured, 767s on KIX-HNL is probably relative "low risk flying" for now. But as Delta starts retiring its 767 fleet, and as more and more lower-cost competition pours into such Japanese beach markets? At that point - which I don't think is too far off - I suspect that the "risk" associated with continuing to allocate capacity to these markets will no longer be worth it, regardless of how "huge" these markets indeed are.

airzona11

Wed May 10, 2017 2:50 am

commavia wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

I don't think anyone is "dismiss[ing]" Delta in the KIX-HNL market, or virtually any other Japan beach markets - but I do agree with others that Delta is probably the weakest competitor in this market, for a variety of reasons. As said, I agree that flying nearly- or fully-amortized, and fairly appropriately-configured, 767s on KIX-HNL is probably relative "low risk flying" for now. But as Delta starts retiring its 767 fleet, and as more and more lower-cost competition pours into such Japanese beach markets? At that point - which I don't think is too far off - I suspect that the "risk" associated with continuing to allocate capacity to these markets will no longer be worth it, regardless of how "huge" these markets indeed are.

All good points, I don't disagree. The 767 frames are time stamped.

Not to digress, but makes you wonder what the Int'l landscape will look like with the large capacity A333,NEO,A350,777 as the backbone on the longhaul fleet. Only UA seems to leveraging the smaller 787s to open up "secondary" cities. But they do have SFO vs SEA. JV with KE will be huge for DL.

I wonder when a US based long haul LCC will emerge? Can't let foreign airlines have all the fun.

many321

Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 am

bzcat wrote:
eal wrote:

Never been tried before and the new ONT airport authority may be interested in subsidizing something like this. There should be enough O&D demand to fill discount Y between ONT and TPE on 3x weekly basis. Yield will be trash but this is the business they are in right?

You read my mind. LAX is up to the brim. There's a rather large Asian community within 25 miles of ONT, so if they opened up in ONT it would be a boom for both parties.

upwardfacing

Wed May 10, 2017 2:56 am

lesfalls wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

:lol: Yes

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 am

airzona11 wrote:
commavia wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

I wonder when a US based long haul LCC will emerge? Can't let foreign airlines have all the fun.

That is a very good question.

The US legacy answer temporarily seems to be the "Basic Economy" fares. Temporary fix to the ULCC model.

Air Canada Rogue seems to be really doing well, i am sure someone is considering a US ULCC Long Haul airline. Routes like LAX-SYD, TKO-SFO, EZE-MIA, NYC-FRA, HNL-TKO, LAX-ICN there are so many routes with large O&D the ULCC could push into. We have all seen it before ULCC gets into route with massive O&D when everyone thinks no way can they pull that off and they do. Look at Spirit no one on here gives them the time of day but they keep making legacy hub to legacy hub routes works. They squeeze into large o&d routes and there is not much you can do to stop them. I see Scoot working out too. People want ULCCs.

There is alot of potential for a ULCC that is segment that is going to grow. Look at them across the Atlantic, the Legacies removed all the amenities anyway most people dont mind those airlines like WOW, Norweigan or Iceland Air.

flee

Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 am

x1234 wrote:

Like Airasia X (D7), they must have done the market research and found out that the KIX-HNL market is much larger than SIN-HNL. They might also be making a defensive move against D7 and not let them have the low cost market all to themselves.

obelau24

Wed May 10, 2017 5:03 am

I find it so interesting that both these LCCs have chosen KIX HNL when TYO HNL is the much larger market. I always thought KIX was one of the most expensive airports to operate at - not that NRT/HND are any better - because of the operating costs of the floating island. Regardless, KIX-HNL is a much smaller market than NRT. No one but JL has operated multiple daily flights and even then they alternate to 767s.

DL has great brand recognition in Japan on its own right and from the NW merger. The Japanese don't seem as obsessed with frequent flyer programs as Americans or even Europeans but when they do have mileage cards it seems to always be JL first, then NH, then DL. Of course, this is all absolutely subjective based on my experience as a ground handler in HNL.

I think HA is the carrier that will have a tough fight. They've been in the market the least amount of time and have the least recognition. They've done well in TYO but pulled out of FUK when faced with DL competition and couldn't make SDJ work - though that was a tough sell.

TenniSommelier

Wed May 10, 2017 7:00 am

bzcat wrote:
eal wrote:

As long as the price is competitive, the TPE-ONT route can very well attract Taiwanese students from universities near the Inland Empire like Cal Poly Pomona, Claremont Colleges, UC Riverside, and University of Redlands.

AngMoh

Wed May 10, 2017 11:38 am

Couple of things to keep in mind:

SIN-TYO is a business market and therefore an SQ market (2X daily NRT, 3x daily HND)
SIN-KIX is a predominantly tourist market with 2x daily SQ and 1x daily TZ via TPE

SIN-KIX is sometimes upgraded to A380 in peak tourist seasons - I flew it on 30 March in A380 which was Sakura season in Japan and start of a Japanese holiday period. Tokyo/Kyoto is much better for a holiday than the Tokyo region and a more popular holiday destination from Singapore. So SIN-KIX is a big market on its own and being leisure oriented TZ should do well.

So this is a double upgrade: SIN-KIX becomes direct and HNL is added as a new destination.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

Polot

Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Also need to keep in mind a typically configured 787 can fly SIN-HNL nonstop. One configured with 335 (788) or 375 (789) seats may not. That is ~75-100 more seats than most other airlines put in their 787s.

Same reason why you can stop dreaming about TPE-US mainland nonstops on Air Asia X and Scoot anytime soon. Air Asia X doesn't even have anything that can do that route with a normal configuration, let alone their dense one, and won't for a while.

airbazar

Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm

x1234 wrote:

Japan is the single biggest foreign market to Hawaii. The market is huge, and it's mostly a leisure market which is ideal for LCC's rather than legacy carriers.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Reverse your question and you'll get your answer. There's so much competition there, because there's so much DEMAND.

An example of how the common folk can make use of this. My wife wants to go to Hawaii for a spring brea in 2019, the 15 year old girl is right there with her. My 11 year boy knows that Universal Studio in Osaka is getting a Nintendo themed land a couple of years before the Orlando park. He wants to go. I can plan a week long trip to the islands and use this low cost option for the boy and I to hop over to Osaka to fulfill his wish for a couple of days while the women stay on the beach.

wolfsburg

Thu May 11, 2017 12:52 am

It will definitely be a price war. Wondering when TZ will secure the license to fly into US.
Finally TZ can fly direct to KIX from SIN. Previously they worry TZ will eat into SQ's share if they fly direct into Japan but it seems they have figure out that KIX is a very strong market.

MarcoPoloWorld

Thu May 11, 2017 2:43 am

Kind of misleading to say "US service" when they aren't even remotely touching the contiguous 48 - and not even a nonstop, at that.... Anyways, thanks for posting.

obelau24

Thu May 11, 2017 3:24 am

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
Kind of misleading to say "US service" when they aren't even remotely touching the contiguous 48 - and not even a nonstop, at that.... Anyways, thanks for posting.

Does service to Hawaii not qualify as US service? What an ignorant post. So if it's anything to do with Alaska and Hawaii it's apparently not worth mentioning.

mercure1

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Route supposedly to be announced July 25th.
mercure f-wtcc

globalcabotage

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:24 am

Scoot will not be at ONT, ORD, SEA, PDX, LAS, DTW, CLT, DEN, DFW, IAH, AUS, MIA, CLT, PHL, AUS, BOS, JFK, etc. (BNA, CLE, Midwest cities).

SQ will probably start ORD-SIN nonstop or via Asia (ICN, HKG, KIX, etc.). With UA dropping the KKG-SIN this fall, ORD-SIN is open for SQ (and not via AMS)!

LAXdude1023

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:33 am

globalcabotage wrote:
Scoot will not be at ONT, ORD, SEA, PDX, LAS, DTW, CLT, DEN, DFW, IAH, AUS, MIA, CLT, PHL, AUS, BOS, JFK, etc. (BNA, CLE, Midwest cities).

SQ will probably start ORD-SIN nonstop or via Asia (ICN, HKG, KIX, etc.). With UA dropping the KKG-SIN this fall, ORD-SIN is open for SQ (and not via AMS)!

No, SQ won't be starting ORD. This isn't about ORD.

To go back to the OP, the reason why SIN-HNL makes less sense is because of the MASSIVE demand between Japan and Hawaii. HNL-TYO for example is the largest market between the US and Asia. Its more than twice as large as the 2nd largest market (LAX-ICN).
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

CanadaFair

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:10 am

obelau24 wrote:
MarcoPoloWorld wrote:

Does service to Hawaii not qualify as US service? What an ignorant post. So if it's anything to do with Alaska and Hawaii it's apparently not worth mentioning.

Considering airports there don't have the ICAO code starting with K like for mainland US, it does make sense to mention them as Alaska and Hawaii.

SFOtoORD

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:19 am

CanadaFair wrote:
obelau24 wrote:
MarcoPoloWorld wrote:

Considering airports there don't have the ICAO code starting with K like for mainland US, it does make sense to mention them as Alaska and Hawaii.

It's US service. The flag has 50 stars for a reason.

OA940

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am

Why don't they operate non-stop? Unless they have 5th freedom for the Japan-Hawaii segment, in which case it makes sense.
A350/CSeries = bae

eamondzhang

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:31 am

OA940 wrote:
Why don't they operate non-stop? Unless they have 5th freedom for the Japan-Hawaii segment, in which case it makes sense.

The market is simply not big enough.

juliuswong

Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 am

Through FB live video, they officially launched Honolulu along with Harbin, Palembang, Kuching and Kuantan...

And they unveiled new uniform too! Much more professional looking!
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:48 am

Scoot to fly to five new destinations including Harbin, Honolulu and Kuching
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/t ... nd-kuching

Pretty impressive - Scoot total number of destinations becomes 65.

mercure1

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:00 pm

mercure f-wtcc

c933103

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:07 pm

ITB wrote:

In many Japanese-Foreign countries bilatreals, they have included conditions of allowing unlimited fifth freedom right for foreign carriers excluding airports for capital cities, hence why both of them are going to Osaka instead.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Polot

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:19 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
OA940 wrote:

Or the plane is not capable enough. SIN-HNL is 5,800 nm (that is ~1,000 nm more than the flight to ATH) and Scoot's 787s are pretty dense (their 789s seat ~125 pax more than UA's for example).

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 pm

The primary point of the Hawaii flight is the Japan-Hawaii traffic. Just like new Air Asia X new service, Scoot seeks to service this demand.

There is minimal demand for Hawaii from SIN and SE Asia markets.

eamondzhang

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Polot wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
OA940 wrote:

Or the plane is not capable enough. SIN-HNL is 5,800 nm (that is ~1,000 nm more than the flight to ATH) and Scoot's 787s are pretty dense (their 789s seat ~125 pax more than UA's for example).

That doesn't stop Norwegian from operating LHR-SIN, which is also a 5800nm route. And even though you can argue that Norwegian's config is less dense, its only about ~25 seat difference which wouldn't make too much difference if they wanted to use the capability.

But their 789s doesn't have crew rest facilities though, only selected new 788s do.

After all it's all about the market. Haven't really heard anyone saying "I wanna go Hawaii" and I think the previously mentioned statistics just proved the point. Maybe someone like LAXIntl can post some O&D data to enlighten us.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Osaka is the 2nd largest international O&D market to Hawaii (Tokyo is #1), at almost 1,400 daily passengers. If you add in broader Kobe-Kyoto-Nagoya region this rises to almost 2,300 daily. In comparison, SIN is not even 50 daily.

While Scoot may certainly help stimulate SIN traffic, the majority of passengers will clearly originate from Japan.

ITB

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:33 am

LAXintl wrote:
Osaka is the 2nd largest international O&D market to Hawaii (Tokyo is #1), at almost 1,400 daily passengers. If you add in broader Kobe-Kyoto-Nagoya region this rises to almost 2,300 daily. In comparison, SIN is not even 50 daily.

While Scoot may certainly help stimulate SIN traffic, the majority of passengers will clearly originate from Japan.

It's very possible Scoot might stimulate SIN-KIX demand. But onward to Hawaii, as you point out, will be heavily dependent on the Japanese Kansai markets.

abrelosojos

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Nothing says low cost like a longhaul tag in a market where you have next to zero point of sale advantage... Low revenue too!

= D7 has pretty strong POS in Japan given it's affiliate position through the new DJ and ties to Rakuten. As I have said before, they also have a great commercial head (Arik) and CEO (Ben). See the numbers they have delivered. Don't count them out yet.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos