User avatar
1337Delta764
Topic Author
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Nevada is the most recent state to increase its speed limit to 80 mph on a portion of Interstate 80. North Dakota had a bill to increase its speed limit to 80 mph this year, but it died.

So, what do you think will be the next state to increase its speed limit to 80 mph?

I think it will be New Mexico. I would be very surprised if it is Arizona due to the state's criminal speeding law where any speed above 85 mph is considered a criminal offense, and I am not sure about Colorado due to the limited number of highways where an 80 mph speed limit would work due to the state's terrain.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
User avatar
11725Flyer
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 pm

I would think states with long stretches of roads with no population centers would be next. Montana and Wyoming, perhaps?
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Topic Author
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
I would think states with long stretches of roads with no population centers would be next. Montana and Wyoming, perhaps?


Those states are already 80 mph.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
User avatar
11725Flyer
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:
I would think states with long stretches of roads with no population centers would be next. Montana and Wyoming, perhaps?


Those states are already 80 mph.


Got it, thanks.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12778
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 11:03 pm

I've been driving I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Topic Author
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I've been driving I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez


Except I-40 isn't 85 mph in Texas; only the SH 130 toll road is. In fact it isn't even 80 mph, but 75 mph.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.
 
flymia
Posts: 7110
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 pm

Florida almost increased some roads to 75mph that are currently 70. Some stretches of the turnpike should be increased to at least 75MPH. Its long straight and flat.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6880
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:
I've been driving I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez

85 is the speed minimum in Texas.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 12778
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 12:26 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I've been driving I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez


Except I-40 isn't 85 mph in Texas; only the SH 130 toll road is. In fact it isn't even 80 mph, but 75 mph.


So true I hit that coming from NM up to Dallas. So nice!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.
 
Braniff1
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I've been driving I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez


Except I-40 isn't 85 mph in Texas; only the SH 130 toll road is. In fact it isn't even 80 mph, but 75 mph.


When was the last time you dove I-35 between AUS & SAT? If you're not doing at least 80-85 you'll get run over. Having big-rigs out of the left lane by law makes I-35 a super speedway. Also, head out west of places like San Angelo, going west it gets pretty fast. Of course, I do keep the foot-feet to the firewall.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7643
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
So, what do you think will be the next state to increase its speed limit to 80 mph?

Very simple. All states west of the Mississippi are large enough and sparsely populated to allow speeds up to 80mph. Those to the east are too small and too densely populated to allow 80mph through a considerable section. The largest state east of the Mississippi (by land area) is Georgia, followed by Michigan and Illinois. The latter two have sections sparsely populated to allow small sections up to this limit, but Georgia has I-95 and others which connect to several populated centers, which means Georgia may not be able to host such a high limit.

Granted, California, Washington, and Oregon are the among the most populated states in the West so obviously their limits will be reduced.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
NoTime
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:21 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 1:07 am

Would love to see it in Ohio, but I guess I should just be happy that we finally got 70mph on the interstates...
 
User avatar
Classa64
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 2:00 am

Up here in Ontario all 400 series Highways as well as some other divided highways are 100kph (62mph), sad. I run up and down divided highway 11 for 36km to work and back just south of North Bay at 120kph(75mph) normally, O.P.P. ( Ontario Provincial Police) don't even bat an eye unless you exceed that. I am surprised they have not bumped it up to 115 like out west since everyone's doing it anyway. I have been on stretches of the 400 highway doing 130kph(80mph) and people are blowing past me.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7973
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 am

100 km/h is standard in all Australian states, although some stretches of highway are 110 km/h. If we could get all divided highways outside of urban areas to 110 km/h (68 mph) I think that would be a good first step.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
RoySFlying
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 5:27 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
100 km/h is standard in all Australian states, although some stretches of highway are 110 km/h


The maximum speed limit in Western Australia is 110 km/h outside of built-up areas, unless otherwise sign-posted. This applies regardless of whether the road is divided or not.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 7:08 am

Braniff1 wrote:
If you're not doing at least 80-85 you'll get run over.


Yes, this!

RyanairGuru wrote:
100 km/h is standard in all Australian states, although some stretches of highway are 110 km/h. If we could get all divided highways outside of urban areas to 110 km/h (68 mph) I think that would be a good first step.


The Northern Territory maximum speed limit is 130 km/h in some places. I found that drving at 110 km/h is quite different to driving at 100 km/h. Never yet been to the Northern Territory, but would there be an expectation to drive at or up to the speed limit in those states (territories) where other people where doing so? If you are from a state that doesn't normally drive at that speed. I for one would not feel comfortable driving at 130 km/h (80 mph) plus, just because I was in their state or territory.

Not so bad if it's on a multi-lane highway and they can get away.
 
RoySFlying
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 am

VapourTrails wrote:
but would there be an expectation to drive at or up to the speed limit in those states (territories) where other people where doing so?


In Western Australia the is a general expectation that you drive to the road conditions and that you don't impede traffic. If you were driving exceptionally slow where there is no requirement to (i.e. dry road, good visibility, no road works, accidents or other traffic hold-ups) then you could be deemed to be committing an offence under the Road Traffic Code. But if you were driving at 100 instead of 110 that would not be regarded as exceptionally slow. Travelling at 80 in a 110 zone could be, especially where it prevents other road users from passing safely.

On the freeway it is an offence to drive at 20 km/h or more below the speed limit of 100 unless road conditions prevent travelling faster or there is some other reason where it would not be prudent to drive at a higher speed.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 am

RoySFlying wrote:

In Western Australia the is a general expectation that you drive to the road conditions and that you don't impede traffic. If you were driving exceptionally slow where there is no requirement to (i.e. dry road, good visibility, no road works, accidents or other traffic hold-ups) then you could be deemed to be committing an offence under the Road Traffic Code. But if you were driving at 100 instead of 110 that would not be regarded as exceptionally slow. Travelling at 80 in a 110 zone could be, especially where it prevents other road users from passing safely.

On the freeway it is an offence to drive at 20 km/h or more below the speed limit of 100 unless road conditions prevent travelling faster or there is some other reason where it would not be prudent to drive at a higher speed.


Yeah, that's the same on this side of the country. To be more specific I meant if you were suddenly in a state that had a 20 km/h speed limit over and above the rest of the country, then there would be drivers who may baulk at that. I don't see any problem doing up to 20km/h under that 'high limit' for the purposes of safety and driver confidence.

By the way I don't believe the Northern Territory used to even have an open highway speed limit back in the day.
 
zanl188
Posts: 3733
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 10:25 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Very simple. All states west of the Mississippi are large enough and sparsely populated to allow speeds up to 80mph. Those to the east are too small and too densely populated to allow 80mph through a considerable section. The largest state east of the Mississippi (by land area) is Georgia, followed by Michigan and Illinois. The latter two have sections sparsely populated to allow small sections up to this limit, but Georgia has I-95 and others which connect to several populated centers, which means Georgia may not be able to host such a high limit.

Granted, California, Washington, and Oregon are the among the most populated states in the West so obviously their limits will be reduced.


I-95 & I-75 are 6 lanes across throughout most of Georgia. Makes a huge difference... Especially noticeable when crossing into South Carolina on 95.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
 
jetwet1
Posts: 2936
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Nevada is the most recent state to increase its speed limit to 80 mph on a portion of Interstate 80.


The problem is, it's a 130 mile stretch of road that is in comparison to other interstates in Nevada pretty lightly traveled, open up the 95 or 15 north of Vegas and that would be a lot more help, heck there are stretches of the 95 between Vegas and Tonopah that could really do with an 80 MPH limit....
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 am

flymia wrote:
It's long straight and flat.


Straight is just about the last thing you want in a highway, it induces tiredness. Flat can be debated, but at least 'hilly' offers a bit of variety.

FYI, the German Autobahn system is neither flat nor straight, yet around 50% of it has no limit.
Signature. You just read one.
 
Calder
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:34 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 12:16 pm

State highway limit is 75mph (or is it 70?) between my home and the nearest population center.

My pickup gets atrocious mileage at that speed, so I just set the cruise control at 69 and call it good.
C. T.
 
flymia
Posts: 7110
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 pm

B777LRF wrote:
flymia wrote:
It's long straight and flat.


Straight is just about the last thing you want in a highway, it induces tiredness. Flat can be debated, but at least 'hilly' offers a bit of variety.

FYI, the German Autobahn system is neither flat nor straight, yet around 50% of it has no limit.

I agree. There is about a 60mile stretch of the Florida Turnpike that is as boring as can be. There are some curves here and there.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 7643
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 12:52 pm

zanl188 wrote:
I-95 & I-75 are 6 lanes across throughout most of Georgia. Makes a huge difference... Especially noticeable when crossing into South Carolina on 95.

The number of lanes is actually related to how much traffic goes through. Portions of I-70 in Missouri are 3 lanes each way as well, yet the speed limit around the St. Louis suburbs and St. Louis proper is no more than 60mph. Exit the city and suburb limits and you reach a point where the interstate narrows to 4 lanes across with a higher speed limit. Head out west and the limit increases (until you're close to Columbia); head east through IL, the same thing happens.

So while I-95 and I-75 are 6 lanes across, they also account more traffic which may not make it feasible to go at an increased speed limit.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
slider
Posts: 7439
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
I've been driving I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez


Except I-40 isn't 85 mph in Texas; only the SH 130 toll road is. In fact it isn't even 80 mph, but 75 mph.


When was the last time you dove I-35 between AUS & SAT? If you're not doing at least 80-85 you'll get run over. Having big-rigs out of the left lane by law makes I-35 a super speedway. Also, head out west of places like San Angelo, going west it gets pretty fast. Of course, I do keep the foot-feet to the firewall.


I just did it and disagree....seems that given the massive amount of traffic between the two, not to mention the monster growth along the way (New Braunfels, etc) that congestion has slowed that stretch down a lot. And the usual left lane campers who should be blown out of the way with missiles, but I digress.... :)

But elsewhere in TX, it's the open road and drop the hammer and let's go.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Speed limits are largely irrelevant. People drive as fast as is comfortable given the conditions. Speeding is really a subjective violation (and I'm glad it is illegal).

I've been in Boston where the crowd drove 75 in a 45, which I am sure is a misdemeanor.

Texas is another case. In Texas, you look carefully at your path, you hammer the accelerator and you go. No one is responsible for your life except you. Cops COULD take responsibility for safety, but in reality they don't have the manpower. I've seen crowds doing 92-94 MPH in Texas. Actually that was between SAT-AUS like another poster indicated, at roughly 7AM. And yes, that was in heavy traffic.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2259
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Flighty wrote:
Speed limits are largely irrelevant. People drive as fast as is comfortable given the conditions. Speeding is really a subjective violation (and I'm glad it is illegal).

I've been in Boston where the crowd drove 75 in a 45, which I am sure is a misdemeanor.

Texas is another case. In Texas, you look carefully at your path, you hammer the accelerator and you go. No one is responsible for your life except you. Cops COULD take responsibility for safety, but in reality they don't have the manpower. I've seen crowds doing 92-94 MPH in Texas. Actually that was between SAT-AUS like another poster indicated, at roughly 7AM. And yes, that was in heavy traffic.


I used to drive between Dallas and Houston on I-45 and the speed limit through Ferris, TX dropped from 70 to 55 which was used as a speed trap to generate ticket revenue for Ferris.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12326
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 6:42 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
If you're not doing at least 80-85 you'll get run over.


Yes, this!

RyanairGuru wrote:
100 km/h is standard in all Australian states, although some stretches of highway are 110 km/h. If we could get all divided highways outside of urban areas to 110 km/h (68 mph) I think that would be a good first step.


The Northern Territory maximum speed limit is 130 km/h in some places. I found that drving at 110 km/h is quite different to driving at 100 km/h. Never yet been to the Northern Territory, but would there be an expectation to drive at or up to the speed limit in those states (territories) where other people where doing so? If you are from a state that doesn't normally drive at that speed. I for one would not feel comfortable driving at 130 km/h (80 mph) plus, just because I was in their state or territory.

Not so bad if it's on a multi-lane highway and they can get away.


If you don't feel safe driving at the posted limit then you should never consider driving there. IMO there is nothing worse then being on a motorway where you can drive 130kph and have some wanker pissing around at 100kph. This is what happens when Norwegians come off the car ferry in Denmark straight onto a 130kph highway. Frustrating!!
Last edited by Kiwirob on Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12326
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 6:51 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

In Western Australia the is a general expectation that you drive to the road conditions and that you don't impede traffic. If you were driving exceptionally slow where there is no requirement to (i.e. dry road, good visibility, no road works, accidents or other traffic hold-ups) then you could be deemed to be committing an offence under the Road Traffic Code. But if you were driving at 100 instead of 110 that would not be regarded as exceptionally slow. Travelling at 80 in a 110 zone could be, especially where it prevents other road users from passing safely.

On the freeway it is an offence to drive at 20 km/h or more below the speed limit of 100 unless road conditions prevent travelling faster or there is some other reason where it would not be prudent to drive at a higher speed.


Yeah, that's the same on this side of the country. To be more specific I meant if you were suddenly in a state that had a 20 km/h speed limit over and above the rest of the country, then there would be drivers who may baulk at that. I don't see any problem doing up to 20km/h under that 'high limit' for the purposes of safety and driver confidence.

By the way I don't believe the Northern Territory used to even have an open highway speed limit back in the day.


Going from 100 to 110 in a modern vehicle you shouldn't even notice it. Where I live in Norway the maximum speed limit is 80kph, I often drive in Denmark where it's 130 on highways but most Danes will drive 140-150, I'm often in Germany where I've maxed out whatever rental I've had, in the parts of Germany I've been recently around Rostock the autobahns are pretty empty, 150 plus is easily and safely attainable.

The Northern Territory used to have unrestricted speeds, when they introduced the limit traffic fatalities increased, I have read that several Highways will be unrestricted again in the future.

The only reason to have limits on motorways is revenue gathering by the govt, it's not a safety issue.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
If you don't feel safe driving at the posted limit then you should never consider driving there.


Yes, so true. I plan to take the train if I am ever up there, or fly of course.

In the NT case, from a bit of online reading research I did, the conditions of the roads up there are not really that great anyway, and are not multi-lane or divided. Believe it is only sections of certain highways with the 130, but still. Drive to the road conditions of course. The chances of hitting a kangaroo or other wildlife would be a consideration too.

Image
 
RoySFlying
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 am

Kiwirob wrote:
The Northern Territory used to have unrestricted speeds, when they introduced the limit traffic fatalities increased,

From reading that I have done it is true that the number of deaths on Territory roads increased in some years. Among those favouring a return to unrestricted zones a comparison for six years before and six years after is given. This shows 292 fatalities in the six years before 2006 and 307 in the six years after. There are a couple of problems with the quoted statistics. Firstly, the figures quoted relate to Territory roads and not just the stretches that saw the 130km/h limit introduced. Secondly, the concentration of fatalities ignored the number of serious injuries.

I believe it is simplistic to conclude from the available evidence that open roads are safer. Looking at statistics maintained in the Territory we see that the numbers can change quite significantly from year to year. How do we explain 75 deaths in 2008 and 31 in 2009, for example?

Image

Source: https://transport.nt.gov.au/__data/asse ... 052017.pdf

Comparisons with other countries shows a wide disparity of deaths related to speed. Some countries with lower speed limits have high rates of fatality compared to other countries with the same limit. Clearly there are other factors to consider, including the general conditions of the road (including layout and design) and driver training and experience.
 
treetreeseven
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:18 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am

Kiwirob wrote:
The only reason to have limits on motorways is revenue gathering by the govt, it's not a safety issue.

Kinetic energy = ½ * mass * velocity²

Look at the position of the exponent. It's a safety issue.
 
Kiwirob
Posts: 12326
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat May 27, 2017 3:09 pm

A front on crash at 100kph is going to leave you just as dead as a front on crash at 200kph.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 20914
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Granted, California, Washington, and Oregon are the among the most populated states in the West so obviously their limits will be reduced.


Some parts of rural Washington and rural Oregon are higher limits than suburban or urban areas. Driving fast on I-5 between the Oregon border and The Grapevine is nearly impossible because of pot holes and trucks passing. It is only two lanes on either side much of the way. I would like to see a third lane added on may parts of I-5. Not just in California, but in parts of Oregon and Washington as well. Then they can increase the limit.

Not that people out here follow the little black and white signs anyway....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2474
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat May 27, 2017 6:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I've been driving5 I-40 for years cross country. If Texas can make it 85 everyone else can make it 80. Jeez


The 85 mph limit is only for one toll road near Austin. I-10 has 80 mph limits from east of El Paso to about 50 miles west of San Antonio.
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat May 27, 2017 8:21 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
If you're not doing at least 80-85 you'll get run over.


Yes, this!

RyanairGuru wrote:
100 km/h is standard in all Australian states, although some stretches of highway are 110 km/h. If we could get all divided highways outside of urban areas to 110 km/h (68 mph) I think that would be a good first step.


The Northern Territory maximum speed limit is 130 km/h in some places. I found that drving at 110 km/h is quite different to driving at 100 km/h. Never yet been to the Northern Territory, but would there be an expectation to drive at or up to the speed limit in those states (territories) where other people where doing so? If you are from a state that doesn't normally drive at that speed. I for one would not feel comfortable driving at 130 km/h (80 mph) plus, just because I was in their state or territory.

Not so bad if it's on a multi-lane highway and they can get away.


Would you mind to write a bit more about your discomfort while driving a bit faster than you're used to, Vapour Trails? What do you find intimidating on it? I personally find it surprising, since I never had this problem. Even now, after 16 years of living in Ontario with highway speed limit of 100 km/h (granted, nobody is driving that), I don't have a problem driving in European countries with a speed limit of 130 km/h, even though their highways are a bit narrower than the 400 series highways here.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13186
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sun May 28, 2017 3:06 am

Everyone in this area drives 80-85 MPH with a top speed of 60 already and the death rate is certainly not going down. I cannot imagine a top speed of 80 here, it would be 90 to a 100 actual in no time. People are nuts here.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
Everyone in this area drives 80-85 MPH with a top speed of 60 already and the death rate is certainly not going down. I cannot imagine a top speed of 80 here, it would be 90 to a 100 actual in no time. People are nuts here.


Or perhaps its the other way around. People are driving 80-85 mph and no doom and gloom is happening, no mass deaths daily. Time to reevaluate the speed limit so drivers would watch out more for what's happening on the road instead of looking for cop cars.That could actually lead to safer roads. There is such thing as dangerously low speed limit.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40
 
User avatar
Classa64
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sun May 28, 2017 4:10 pm

I read an article a few years back ( I'm sure it was longer than that) when they changed some sections of highways in Montana to " Reasonable but Prudent" When they interviewed some Troopers they had said most people settle in around 80 anyway... Sorry I cant find the article. I think it was in Road and Track. Is this still the case?
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13186
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Mon May 29, 2017 2:22 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
Everyone in this area drives 80-85 MPH with a top speed of 60 already and the death rate is certainly not going down. I cannot imagine a top speed of 80 here, it would be 90 to a 100 actual in no time. People are nuts here.


Or perhaps its the other way around. People are driving 80-85 mph and no doom and gloom is happening, no mass deaths daily. Time to reevaluate the speed limit so drivers would watch out more for what's happening on the road instead of looking for cop cars.That could actually lead to safer roads. There is such thing as dangerously low speed limit.



The legislature is studying the need for a move to the right law because of irrational drivers becoming dangerous when blocked by drivers in the high speed lane not moving to the right even when doing the speed limit. It is a get out of the way mentality because of people who cannot control themselves when they are in a frenzy because they are blocked by a law abiding driver. A sad state of affairs in my book. :hissyfit:
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 am

flymia wrote:
I agree. There is about a 60mile stretch of the Florida Turnpike that is as boring as can be. There are some curves here and there.


Once had to visit BFG in Jamestown, ND. Not the easiest place to reach when you're jetting in from across the Atlantic, so it ended up with flights to Fargo and a rental from there. The I94, which took me there, had a total of around 4 'bends', over a stretch of 100 some miles, and was flat as a pancake. Probably the most boring piece of road I've ever travelled.
Signature. You just read one.
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3118
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 am

WarRI1 wrote:
The legislature is studying the need for a move to the right law because of irrational drivers becoming dangerous when blocked by drivers in the high speed lane not moving to the right even when doing the speed limit. It is a get out of the way mentality because of people who cannot control themselves when they are in a frenzy because they are blocked by a law abiding driver. A sad state of affairs in my book. :hissyfit:


What I would call sad state of affairs in the need to legislate common sense. Get out of the way of a faster car makes all sense in the world. But yes, there is a speed limit that was pulled out of somebody's arse, so many drivers say "why would I let him drive past when I drive the limit" and the combination of two may indeed lead to dangerous situations. I personally let the faster car pass when there is a chance to do it safely. Do you know way? Because I'm not a cop, so enforcing the speed limit is not my job.
BTW, it won't help. The cohort of "law abiding drivers" doing the limit and therefore not letting the faster cars pass is very large in countries that already have the move right law. Anticipate that this won't be the case in your state is naive. This is IMO a case of addressing the impact of bad regulation (severely underposted speed limit) with further regulation. I seriously doubt it will bring any positive effect.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Tue May 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
A front on crash at 100kph is going to leave you just as dead as a front on crash at 200kph.
Not if you can stop or avoid the crash at 100 when you couldn't at 200.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
User avatar
WarRI1
Posts: 13186
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Wed May 31, 2017 2:51 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
The legislature is studying the need for a move to the right law because of irrational drivers becoming dangerous when blocked by drivers in the high speed lane not moving to the right even when doing the speed limit. It is a get out of the way mentality because of people who cannot control themselves when they are in a frenzy because they are blocked by a law abiding driver. A sad state of affairs in my book. :hissyfit:


What I would call sad state of affairs in the need to legislate common sense. Get out of the way of a faster car makes all sense in the world. But yes, there is a speed limit that was pulled out of somebody's arse, so many drivers say "why would I let him drive past when I drive the limit" and the combination of two may indeed lead to dangerous situations. I personally let the faster car pass when there is a chance to do it safely. Do you know way? Because I'm not a cop, so enforcing the speed limit is not my job.
BTW, it won't help. The cohort of "law abiding drivers" doing the limit and therefore not letting the faster cars pass is very large in countries that already have the move right law. Anticipate that this won't be the case in your state is naive. This is IMO a case of addressing the impact of bad regulation (severely underposted speed limit) with further regulation. I seriously doubt it will bring any positive effect.



It puzzles me also that this is an issue, when way back when I took my drivers exam, we were taught to always move to the right after passing. On a two lane road, survival demands it, but on a four lane and up, it just makes common sense and shows consideration for the other drivers. Of course manners and common sense have been lost long ago.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:49 pm

at least in the US, it seems most drive 7 to 10mph OVER the posted limit.

Someone mentioned the Florida Turnpike- between Palm Beach and Orlando you will always have a line of cars doing a solid 85 mph. Parallel I95 you will see the same between Jupiter & Stuart.
xx
 
Beardown91737
Posts: 892
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:45 am

California should go to 80 on the 10 between Blythe and Chiriaco Summit. Also the 8 from Yuma to wherever the fringes of San Diego are. The 15 probably should stay 70 or 75 the entire way.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:31 am

NoTime wrote:
Would love to see it in Ohio, but I guess I should just be happy that we finally got 70mph on the interstates...


What's crazy in Texas, is a two lane highway gets 75 mph, but a multi-lane stretch of I-635 maxes out at 65....

Seeing many go 5-10 above the posted speed limits, a head on on that highway would be massive !!

Image
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Next U.S. State to increase speed limit to 80 mph?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:15 pm

There are reasons besides the highway itself why the speed limit is not higher in some areas. For example, inadequate on-ramp/off-ramp distance to allow for proper acceleration/deceleration for all vehicles. Flying along at 80mph and having some gutless wonder merging on at 60mph isn't healthy.

I will say this, though. Having just transplanted from Washington to Arizona, I really appreciate the roads and speed limits down here. I am one of those people that wants to go and tends to push it a bit. Part of the reason in Washington that I do that is because the speed limits are often artificially low and you just naturally go faster due to the condition of the road, etc. In Arizona (at least my experience so far), most of the streets in my area are 45mph and 4-6 lanes, where a similar road in Washington might be 35pmh and 2-4 lanes because they won't spend money on capacity. With a higher limit and with more capacity, I find in AZ that you don't have as much anxiety or feel the need to gun it because everyone is moving and there is plenty of room to maneuver safely around slower vehicles.

On the freeways down here, it's generally 65mph-75mph. Again, just being able to legally drive that fast - and have everyone else generally going the same speed - makes driving feel safer and more relaxing.

In regards to transitioning to higher speeds, I agree with the poster above that said with today's cars it's almost not noticeable. It's not uncommon to be in a 60mph zone (in Seattle) but be going 70mph-80mph without even realizing it. I think 80mph-85mph on the decent stretches is likely good, though you need to pay attention. If you are going 60mph and jerk your wheel a bit for something you probably aren't going to wipe out (happened last night at 65mph for me). Going 85mph, even a little "jerk" of the wheel can create some serious instability in some cars.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, bennett123, mchei, StarAC17, wingman and 47 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos