Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Airport worker manages to stop plane rolling back onto runway

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Here's an event you don't see on a daily basis:

An airport worker ran after a plane as it rolled out on to a runway as he removed the wheel blocks from the wrong plane .

As soon as he realized his mistake the worker ran towards the plane and tried to stop it with his bare hands.

The employee of Hohhot Baita International Airport in China is said to have mistaken the already empty plane with one that was scheduled for take-off.

He disengaged the lock surrounding the aircraft's front wheels and allowed it to slide backwards towards the runway.

Footage taken by witnesses at the airport shows the blundering worker bolting after the airplane after realizing his mistake.

As the plane slides away from the apron, he even tries to push the landing gear with his arms to stop the rolling Loong Air aircraft.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD7KNCYTEpA

readytotaxi

Re: Airport worker manages to stop plane rolling back onto runway

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Good save.

atcsundevil

Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Welp, that was pretty stupid in the first place, but the save was impressive. I was wondering for a minute if I was about to watch a ramper trampled by a NLG!

MalevTU134

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Nice sprint. I doubt, however, that it was the runway right behind the plane. But I have no clue really, never been to Hohhot... I guess anything is possible in the People's Republic... Anybody knows?

ooslc

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Nice sprint. I doubt, however, that it was the runway right behind the plane. But I have no clue really, never been to Hohhot... I guess anything is possible in the People's Republic... Anybody knows?

Looking at google earth, looks like it would have rolled into the grass behind the hardstands. Then there's a taxiway, more grass, then the runway. I wouldn't have even made it to the taxiway let alone the runway. TBH, I would have let the plane roll instead of risking my life.

smokeybandit

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:52 pm

"As soon as he realized his mistake the worker ran towards the plane and tried to stop it with his bare hands."

No he didn't. He put the chocks down immediately.

MalevTU134

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:10 pm

ooslc wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Looking at google earth, looks like it would have rolled into the grass behind the hardstands. Then there's a taxiway, more grass, then the runway. I wouldn't have even made it to the taxiway let alone the runway. TBH, I would have let the plane roll instead of risking my life.

Exactly my view as well.

Armodeen

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:12 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
"As soon as he realized his mistake the worker ran towards the plane and tried to stop it with his bare hands."

No he didn't. He put the chocks down immediately.

My first thought was 'why didn't he re chock it'. Turns out, he had the same thought 8-)

coolian2

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:25 pm

An exceptional solution to a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

kraz911

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Hello all,
I have to give him a that a boy on the hustle carrying a set of chocks and trying to do something. I didn't see the beacons operating so it rolled over a plane length backwards unmanned? Someone on that crew will get yelled at for not chocking the a/c...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos