Gasman

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - October 2017

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:59 am

When we say "premium config" 789s, we're just talking more Y+/J seats right? There is nothing more "premium" about the product itself?

ZK-NBT

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:02 am

NZ321 wrote:
So this presumably means that some premium config 789s will do the Tasman?

They will probably over summer, it depends in winter next year if IAH is still 1600 departure ex AKL otherwise there isn’t time.
LamboAston wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

I don't understand this. Aren't the 789s spoken for with IAH and YVR or has YVR not been announced?

We were talking about the month of November only, IAH gets 789’s from DEC8th so there is slack in the fleet and NOV is a slow month. YVR has not been announced for 789’s

When I was looking at dummy bookings for IAH before 789s started there were at least 6 dates with a 77W scheduled during Oct, Nov, and the start of Dec

There is a few dates where IAH is 77W during that period, happened last year to.

Gasman wrote:
When we say "premium config" 789s, we're just talking more Y+/J seats right? There is nothing more "premium" about the product itself?

Correct. Or code 2 I think it’s called the configuration itself.

nz2

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:33 am

We flew back from HNL yesterday operated by 772. A couple of things, the Captain said that the aircraft was required to perform the Houston flight that night and thus had been instructed to make all speed to get back for that flight, predicting an 8.05 hr flight time (did the 789 go tech?). Next thing we stopped taxiing and the Captain rushed past us to the aft end of the plane, the co-pilot announced that water had been observed leaking from the tail and a call would be made quickly what we would do. Seemed to be some sort of internal galley supply leak that was just dribbling out through the floor and outer frame, there was some talk about a bucket ! Anyway we proceeded normally and had a great flight home arriving about 30 minutes early (8 hrs). Speaking with our FA she said it was unusual for their crew and thus the 772 to be deployed on the Hawaii run so it was a pleasant change for her, the flight was pretty full as it is a peak time with the Ironman having been run the weekend prior, hence a lot of demand over the last 2 weeks. Excellent service again, just wished they updated the movies more often.....

ZK-NBT

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 am

nz2 wrote:
We flew back from HNL yesterday operated by 772. A couple of things, the Captain said that the aircraft was required to perform the Houston flight that night and thus had been instructed to make all speed to get back for that flight, predicting an 8.05 hr flight time (did the 789 go tech?). Next thing we stopped taxiing and the Captain rushed past us to the aft end of the plane, the co-pilot announced that water had been observed leaking from the tail and a call would be made quickly what we would do. Seemed to be some sort of internal galley supply leak that was just dribbling out through the floor and outer frame, there was some talk about a bucket ! Anyway we proceeded normally and had a great flight home arriving about 30 minutes early (8 hrs). Speaking with our FA she said it was unusual for their crew and thus the 772 to be deployed on the Hawaii run so it was a pleasant change for her, the flight was pretty full as it is a peak time with the Ironman having been run the weekend prior, hence a lot of demand over the last 2 weeks. Excellent service again, just wished they updated the movies more often.....

The 772 has been on the HNL run for a few weeks. I think it changes back to 789 for NOV then back to 772 for summer.

Must have been something go U/S as the HNL flight arrives after the IAH flights scheduled departure.

Motorhussy

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:57 am

Gasman wrote:

Yes that's correct, a more premium heavy configuration.

The new NZ J-class configuration and time-frame has not been confirmed TTBOMK.
come visit the south pacific

nz2

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

The 772 has been on the HNL run for a few weeks. I think it changes back to 789 for NOV then back to 772 for summer.

Must have been something go U/S as the HNL flight arrives after the IAH flights scheduled departure.

Correct - it just seemed to be unusual for this particular crew, according to what she said

planemanofnz

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Airport group wants new government to help in the regions

"A group representing airports wants payback from the new Government after getting behind candidates who supported regional airports during the election campaign. The New Zealand Airports Association said that during the lead-up to last month's vote it ran a FlyLocal NZ campaign in regional electorates urging voters to message candidates who supported equitable funding for smaller airports across the country.

... New Zealand First leader Winston Peters made a very supportive policy statement at an election meeting in Gisborne."

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11935964.

Given New Zealand First's strong focus on regional economic development, it will be interesting to see how regional air services are developed (if at all) in the next three years.

Cheers,

C.

DavidByrne

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:57 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Airport group wants new government to help in the regions

"A group representing airports wants payback from the new Government after getting behind candidates who supported regional airports during the election campaign. The New Zealand Airports Association said that during the lead-up to last month's vote it ran a FlyLocal NZ campaign in regional electorates urging voters to message candidates who supported equitable funding for smaller airports across the country.

... New Zealand First leader Winston Peters made a very supportive policy statement at an election meeting in Gisborne."

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11935964.

Given New Zealand First's strong focus on regional economic development, it will be interesting to see how regional air services are developed (if at all) in the next three years.

Cheers,

C.

Strongly suspect that any action will be focused on airports rather than air services. The new government has indicated that addressing climate change will be front and centre of policy decisions (at last a government that is willing to look beyond the next election) and to encourage air travel would run counter to that. However with rail it’s a different story - Labour and the Greens both signed up to the proposals of lobby blog Greater Auckland (formerly Transport Blog) for regional rail, initially Hamilton to Auckland, with possible future extensions to Tauranga. And the freight line to Marsden Point will certainly have been one of Winston’s core coalition negotiating points (though passenger services are extremely unlikely).

And of course light rail to Mt Roskill, Onehunga, Mangere and the airport can be expected to start detailed design pretty much straight away with construction starting before the three years is out.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

PA515

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:51 am

Noticed recently that there had not been a post from 'sunrisevalley' since early September. Unfortunately Hugh is no longer with us. We exchanged occasional emails and I will miss his contributions.
http://deaths.nelsonmail.co.nz/obituari ... =186772187

Hugh explained that Sunrise Valley Road is where he spent his early years. It is off the Moutere Highway just south of Upper Moutere (between Nelson and Motueka). There was a significant community of German settlers in the district of which he was a descendant.

PA515

DavidByrne

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:59 pm

PA515 wrote:
Noticed recently that there had not been a post from 'sunrisevalley' since early September. Unfortunately Hugh is no longer with us. We exchanged occasional emails and I will miss his contributions.

Hugh explained that Sunrise Valley Road is where he spent his early years. It is off the Moutere Highway just south of Upper Moutere (between Nelson and Motueka). There was a significant community of German settlers in the district of which he was a descendant.

PA515

Really sorry to hear this. Sunrise Valley was a knowledgeable and thoughtful contributor who was always respectful and who I always read with anticipation. He will be missed.

Gemuser

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 pm

PA515 wrote:

PA515

Really, really sorry to hear this! He was one of the best & most knowledgeable posters on airliners.net.

If not already done I think you should start a new therad as many do not follow this thread

Gemuser

Gasman

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 pm

Gemuser wrote:
PA515 wrote:

PA515

Really, really sorry to hear this! He was one of the best & most knowledgeable posters on airliners.net.

If not already done I think you should start a new therad as many do not follow this thread

Gemuser

Damn.

Never opinionated, never patronising, a fountain of knowledge and shared my animosity towards NZ's 777s. He will be much missed here, and I suspect only a very tiny fraction of how much he will be missed in real life.

A330NZ

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 am

PA515 wrote:

PA515

He will be sorely missed by those in his personal life, and by the wider a.net community. I extend my condolences to those who knew him however well

Christchurch Airport has released its long term plan to 2040. It appears to show development of the terminal building, adding more gates to both the domestic and international ends of the terminal, minor extensions to both runways, and extensive redevelopment of the parking area requiring the destruction of several buildings to the south of the current parking building. Christchurch Airport is projecting 12 million annual passenger movements by 2040, or approximately a 2.6% increase in passenger movements per year for 23 years.

Video of 2040 plan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2Xja9F9DU

Press release:
http://www.christchurchairport.co.nz/en ... -revealed/

LamboAston

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:22 am

Does anyone know when the last Mt Cook ATR72-200 (not 500/600) was retired?
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

Zkpilot

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:04 am

PA515 wrote:

PA515

Oh wow! Sorry to hear that, as others have mentioned he was always a knowledgeable and thoughtful poster.
64 types. 42 countries. 24 airlines.

texan

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 am

PA515 wrote:

PA515

I am saddened to hear this. Hugh and I had some great conversations over the years. He was such a nice person. Godspeed, Hugh.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

ZKOAB

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 am

LamboAston wrote:

ZK-JSZ in 2005: https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... nk/wkrYh7b

ZKOAB

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:57 am

A330NZ wrote:
Christchurch Airport has released its long term plan to 2040. It appears to show development of the terminal building, adding more gates to both the domestic and international ends of the terminal, minor extensions to both runways, and extensive redevelopment of the parking area requiring the destruction of several buildings to the south of the current parking building. Christchurch Airport is projecting 12 million annual passenger movements by 2040, or approximately a 2.6% increase in passenger movements per year for 23 years.

Video of 2040 plan:

Press release:

Very slick and informative video. CHC has a lot more land to play with and has a decent foundation to work with in its current state (runway and terminal) - the added bonus was revealing its plans that have more than just the terminal and runway development in mind.

aerokiwi

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:04 am

That is a real loss. So sad when real world sadness hits you here. Maybe someone should contact his family and let them know of his valued contribution here?

ZK-NBT

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:06 am

Very sorry to hear of Hugh’s passing. Always an informative poster! Condolences to his family and friends!

zkncj

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 am

ZKOAB wrote:
LamboAston wrote:

ZK-JSZ in 2005: https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... nk/wkrYh7b

ZK-JSZ was an temporary fix post Origin Pacific and was only around for an year while NZ waited for some more 72-500s.

The original 72-200 fleet left in 1999 and was replaced by the 72-500s, the -200s didn't have an long life with NZ as most we're built between 1995/1996.

https://www.planespotters.net/production-list/search?fleet=Air-New-Zealand-Link-(Mount-Cook-Airline)&manufacturer=ATR&type=ATR-42&fleetStatus=historic

Does anyone know why the -200s we're replaced so young? was the -500 really that much better or get ATR do an deal with NZ so they got the -200s while the -500s we're still being developed then would be swapped out?

Seems to be that NZ likes to replace the ATR's with ATRs now that we've see the -200s, - 500s and -600s.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:35 am

A330NZ wrote:

Video of 2040 plan:

Press release:

Looking at the PDF I got a giggle at the 3 trijets at the terminal. Who wants to break the news to the designers? ;)

VirginFlyer

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:01 am

PA515 wrote:

PA515

I'm really saddened to hear that. Sunrisevalley represented what is best about this forum, always being helpful and able to explain difficult concepts so that anyone willing to learn could. I think many here learned that just because an aircraft has a max-payload range of 5000nm, and a route is 5000nm on great circle mapper, does not mean that aircraft can fly that route with a full payload; I imagine many heard and understood the term ESAD through his posts. I didn't engage with him on a personal level sadly, but I always appreciated his contributions. Hugh, you'll be sadly missed here. Ave atque vale.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

aerokiwi wrote:
Maybe someone should contact his family and let them know of his valued contribution here?

That's a wonderful idea. Might I recommend that PA515 drafts something, and posts it back here? Then we can collect names to consign it and send it off. Count me in.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

VirginFlyer

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:08 am

A small point of interest: at some stage recently (it may even have been this week) Air Chatham's two letter code (I'm not sure it would be called an IATA code since they aren't an IATA member) has changed from CV to 3C.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

DavidByrne

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Great day for Auckland: immediate start on light rail to the airport. Now’s the time to get behind this and put the LR/HR debate in the past (and I was once a HR advocate but swayed by the wider logic of LR). Don’t yet have a target completion date but prob around the same time as the CRL or even slightly earlier.

LamboAston

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
A330NZ wrote:

Video of 2040 plan:

Press release:

Looking at the PDF I got a giggle at the 3 trijets at the terminal. Who wants to break the news to the designers? ;)

Four actually, 727s. Also look at all the A388s and 744s
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Great day for Auckland: immediate start on light rail to the airport. Now’s the time to get behind this and put the LR/HR debate in the past (and I was once a HR advocate but swayed by the wider logic of LR). Don’t yet have a target completion date but prob around the same time as the CRL or even slightly earlier.

The Auckland City Rail Link is not due for completion until 2023.

Auckland will host both the America's Cup and the APEC Summit in 2021, so it will be interesting to see if light rail to AKL can be pulled off by then.

The Green Party said that it will build light rail to AKL by the America's Cup - this seems unrealistic, as legal and land issues take us out to at least 2019.

Separately, Labour will also fast-track a feasibility study on rapid transit to WLG (considering light rail), which is to be welcomed.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:52 am

Auckland Airport defends $1.8b spending programme

"Auckland International Airport has talked up the "fair balance" it struck in setting out a $1.8 billion infrastructure spending programme which chief executive Adrian Littlewood says is probably the most significant since its original development in the 1960s.

The programme has already been criticised by the airlines' umbrella group - the Board of Airlines Representatives - as only benefiting airport shareholders, something Littlewood has previously played down.

The airport will cut the average annual international passenger charge by 1.7 per cent and hike the equivalent domestic fee by 0.8 per cent to help fund three more contact gates for international aircraft, a new domestic jet terminal, expanded border processing area and public arrivals space, and upgrades to international check-in."

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11937023.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 am

Air New Zealand phasing in new screening as part of security crackdown by US

"Air New Zealand is phasing in extra screening for passengers flying to the United States as part of new security measures the US is demanding from airlines around the world.

All flights to the US are subject to new security screening procedures before takeoff, including American citizens and foreigners possibly facing security interviews from airline employees, the US government said yesterday.

An Air New Zealand spokeswoman said the extra checks had been introduced in tranches over several months and more would be introduced next year."

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11936902.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:06 am

Air New Zealand’s Dreamliner touches down in Adelaide

"Air New Zealand’s first scheduled Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner service to Adelaide touched down shortly after 10.30am this morning (local time) heralding a new era of comfort and service for South Australia.

The aircraft is set to become a regular sight in the skies over Adelaide – operating three weekly return services from today through until 25 March 2018. Dreamliner flights will be complemented by A320 services."

See: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1710/S ... elaide.htm.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:25 am

Terminal upgrade nears as Hawke's Bay airport announces record profit

"Construction of Hawke's Bay Airport Ltd's terminal expansion is getting close, with negotiations on a potential tender for the work set to close within the next few weeks.

Significant growth in passenger movements over the past two years due to increased competition with Jetstar's arrival and Sounds Air now established at the airport, as well as Air New Zealand switching to larger aircraft, had put a strain on the existing terminal, said chairman Tony Porter.

The growth had also delayed plans for the planned expansion due to the need to re-design the "back-room" areas for the increased airlines' operations and staff.

The multimillion-dollar expansion would increase the terminal size from 2500sq m to 3800sq m, and would include check-in areas at the southern end of the terminal and a new automated baggage handling system at the opposite end.

There would be a dedicated arrivals gate instead of departures and arrivals from the same gate, and the new facilities would include a cafe for 110 people and offices for Air New Zealand, Jetstar and Sounds Air, which flies direct to Marlborough."

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-to ... d=11936325.

Cheers,

C.

DavidByrne

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:30 am

planemanofnz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

The Auckland City Rail Link is not due for completion until 2023.

Auckland will host both the America's Cup and the APEC Summit in 2021, so it will be interesting to see if light rail to AKL can be pulled off by then.

The Green Party said that it will build light rail to AKL by the America's Cup - this seems unrealistic, as legal and land issues take us out to at least 2019.

Separately, Labour will also fast-track a feasibility study on rapid transit to WLG (considering light rail), which is to be welcomed.

Cheers,

C.

Fully understand all of this having worked in the field. I can promise that design and property issues mean that 2019 is cloud cuckoo land. 2021 - maybe, just maybe. But I’d think that 2022 is achievable. There’s a big difference between political aspirations (no matter how laudable) and practical reality. As they say - there’s many a slip twixt cup and lip!

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:46 am

Thank you to all those who have paid their respects to Sunrisevalley. As there have been some requests for a dedicated thread one has been opened up in Site Related forum

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1377093
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 am

Funding for council-owned airports, including the Richard Pearse Airport, could be on the cards

"Small council-owned airports, including Timaru's Richard Pearse Airport, could be in the running for Government funding.

The NZ Airports Association is hopeful Labour, the Greens and New Zealand First will look favourably on their bid for $32m in the next five years.

Airports Association chief executive Kevin Ward said the airport association's "fly local" campaign run this year was boosted "hugely" by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern re-tweeting one of their memes.

Air New Zealand is the only provider of scheduled flights at the Richard Pearse Airport.

The airline runs about 13 return flights a week from the airport."

See: https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/n ... -the-cards.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 am

New Zealand’s top 10 airports showing 42% growth in seat availability when compared to 2007; Queenstown fastest-growing major airport

"In 2007 New Zealand’s top 10 airports offered 34.33 million annual seats. In 2017 this figure has grown to 48.72 million, representing an increase in available annual seats of 42%.

Between 2016 and 2017, Queenstown’s annual seat capacity has risen 13% from 2.22 to 2.51 million annual seats, making it the fastest-growing major airport in New Zealand. When looking at capacity growth during the past decade, Queenstown’s available seat offering has risen 168% between 2007 and 2017, making it the fastest-growing airport in New Zealand with regards to seat capacity for the decade as well as the past year.

When we take New Zealand’s top four airports annual statistics and compare them with schedule capacity data provided by OAG, it shows that the nation’s fastest-growing airport – Queenstown – is also producing the best theoretical load factor last year, with the airport showing an average load factor of 80%."

Europe - New Zealand market strong

"The top two markets for European tourists to New Zealand are the UK (246,400 visitors year ending August 2017; 15% growth when compared to the previous year) and Germany (104,256; up 14%) according to Tourism New Zealand. When taking a close look at OAG Traffic Analyser data for traffic between Europe and New Zealand in 2016, there was an estimated 828,400 two-way passengers making the journey, up 13% when compared to the total of 732,400 recorded for 2015. The top three connecting hubs for transit traffic between New Zealand and Europe in 2016 were Dubai (30% of transit traffic), Singapore (14%) and Hong Kong (9.6%). In 2017 so far, the top two hubs still remain Dubai and Singapore, however as a result of Qatar Airways’ new route, Doha has become the third most popular connecting hub between New Zealand and Europe."

See: http://www.anna.aero/2017/10/16/new-zea ... ared-2007/.

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 am

Interesting they say DOH has passed HKG into the third most used stopover point between Europe-NZ, I wonder if QR are profitable to AKL yet? It’s a pretty big chunk at 30% using DXB, most are likely on the non stop I’d imagine? Soon all will be unless QF/EK transfers via OZ count as DXB?

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
Interesting they say DOH has passed HKG into the third most used stopover point between Europe-NZ, I wonder if QR are profitable to AKL yet? It’s a pretty big chunk at 30% using DXB, most are likely on the non stop I’d imagine? Soon all will be unless QF/EK transfers via OZ count as DXB?

I assume that the current transfers via BNE and MEL do count - they are a 'direct' service from AKL to DXB.

IMHO, these figures highlight the scope for capacity growth at AKL from EK, QR and SQ in the near future.

The losers are CX, MH and TG (the former can rely on China now, with the latter two able to rely on India).

Cheers,

C.

ZK-NBT

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

I assume that the current transfers via BNE and MEL do count - they are a 'direct' service from AKL to DXB.

IMHO, these figures highlight the scope for capacity growth at AKL from EK, QR and SQ in the near future.

The losers are CX, MH and TG (the former can rely on China now, with the latter two able to rely on India).

Cheers,

C.

Those on the EK services via BNE/MEL would sure, how about those that transfer to QF? I’d say a second EK service will happen this time next year for AKL.

SQ are more about yield, they run the A380 seasonally starts next week btw.

I see KE will be daily for the whole season this year from next week with 77W’s then DEC-FEB the usual 748 upgauge, think it’s back to 5 weekly 77E in March, Initially was 748 for whole summer but only daily DEC-FEB.

TG and MH are daily this year with MH having a solid same schedule in the evening ex AKL rather than a split schedule.

CX are double daily Again DEC-FEB 359/77W with CHC DEC-FEB 3 weekly 359 aswell. See how they go.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
SQ are more about yield, they run the A380 seasonally

SQ intrigues me - despite its strong brand recognition in New Zealand (having been here for much longer than EK, QR and others), despite its strong revenue sharing alliance with NZ, despite SIN being the second strongest hub for the New Zealand - Europe corridor (the traffic through which is growing at a double digit rate, as per the article I linked above), and despite SIN's main rival - HKG - being able to support 5x daily services from AKL this summer, SQ continues to just maintain a 1x daily service at AKL, even in peak season. SQ's other big source market for its New Zealand flights - India - is far less competitive than China is for CX, with SQ only really facing new competition to India from D7 in recent years (while CX has faced new competition from CA, GS, HU, HX, MU and 3U in the same period). Despite this, CX (also with a revenue sharing alliance with NZ) will have double the frequencies of SQ to AKL in the upcoming peak season.

SQ does not even make it into AKL's top 12 airlines by seat capacity, while MH does:

I appreciate that SQ serves both CHC and WLG, but surely there is scope for an additional 3x weekly services to AKL, particularly in peak season?

If SQ is not interested in growing itself at AKL, then I see scope for EK, QF or TZ to enter the market, or even for JQ to re-enter the market.

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:07 am

Outlook for business travel is strong

"FCM is part of Flight Centre, and across all its business travel brands, corporate travel has increased by 11 per cent this year compared to 2016 - 95 per cent of FCM's clients believe their travel spend will be the same or increase over the next year.

The most significant growth was in Singapore (12 per cent up).

More corporate travellers are opting for ultralong-haul non-stop flights. Emirates' flights to Dubai and Qatar Airways services to Doha are popular."

See: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11936743.

With Singapore being the fastest growing market for FCM's corporate travel ex-New Zealand, this only further demonstrates that there is scope for more activity on AKL - SIN, either by additional frequencies from NZ or SQ, or from a new entrant (like EK, JQ, QF or TZ).

FCM's comments on EK and QR's popularity should also serve as a platform for these two carriers to grow their presence at AKL in the coming years, too.

Cheers,

C.

Qantas16

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

SQ intrigues me - despite its strong brand recognition in New Zealand (having been here for much longer than EK, QR and others), despite its strong revenue sharing alliance with NZ, despite SIN being the second strongest hub for the New Zealand - Europe corridor (the traffic through which is growing at a double digit rate, as per the article I linked above), and despite SIN's main rival - HKG - being able to support 5x daily services from AKL this summer, SQ continues to just maintain a 1x daily service at AKL, even in peak season. SQ's other big source market for its New Zealand flights - India - is far less competitive than China is for CX, with SQ only really facing new competition to India from D7 in recent years (while CX has faced new competition from CA, GS, HU, HX, MU and 3U in the same period). Despite this, CX (also with a revenue sharing alliance with NZ) will have double the frequencies of SQ to AKL in the upcoming peak season.

SQ does not even make it into AKL's top 12 airlines by seat capacity, while MH does:

I appreciate that SQ serves both CHC and WLG, but surely there is scope for an additional 3x weekly services to AKL, particularly in peak season?

If SQ is not interested in growing itself at AKL, then I see scope for EK, QF or TZ to enter the market, or even for JQ to re-enter the market.

I had no idea that SQ's presence in AKL was so small. Whilst not a completely fair comparison, BNEs catchment area would be roughly equivalent in population to AKLs yet SQ offers 4x daily services (smaller aircraft I know but not THAT much smaller). Their services to SYD and MEL are even more frequent and with larger aircraft. Can anyone shed light onto why SQ has not expanded in AKL the same way they have to SYD/MEL/BNE?

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 am

Qantas16 wrote:
I had no idea that SQ's presence in AKL was so small. Whilst not a completely fair comparison, BNEs catchment area would be roughly equivalent in population to AKLs yet SQ offers 4x daily services (smaller aircraft I know but not THAT much smaller). Their services to SYD and MEL are even more frequent and with larger aircraft. Can anyone shed light onto why SQ has not expanded in AKL the same way they have to SYD/MEL/BNE?

There are a number of factors to note here, including:

- In reality, SQ has 2x daily flights to AKL, as NZ's 1x daily AKL - SIN flight is within the NZ - SQ revenue sharing alliance
- Unlike CX, SQ maintains year-round services to both CHC and WLG, meaning there is less transfer traffic through AKL
- SQ uses an A380 to AKL seasonally, which has up to 471 seats (which is almost double the capacity of a 777-200 ER)

Despite this, it must also be noted that:

- AKL - SIN has no competition, given the revenue sharing alliance, unlike BNE - SIN (where SQ competes with EK and QF)
- While AKL's catchment area is reduced by SQ's CHC and WLG services, BNE's is too, through MI at CNS and TZ at OOL
- AKL and BNE provide similar levels of domestic connections, with NZ code-sharing at AKL and VA code-sharing at BNE

Further, there has to be room for growth at AKL, as:

- The Europe - New Zealand corridor is growing by double digits, with Singapore being the second largest hub in the corridor
- In the India - New Zealand corridor, Singapore is arguably the largest hub, and this market grew by 17.2% in the past year
- Singapore is the single fastest growing market for FCM's corporate travel ex-New Zealand, growing by 12% in the past year

IMHO, SQ should introduce the A350 to AKL, as F is not needed at AKL - this might make additional frequencies more feasible.

Cheers,

C.

aerorobnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:23 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
"The top two markets for European tourists to New Zealand are the UK (246,400 visitors year ending August 2017; 15% growth when compared to the previous year) and Germany (104,256; up 14%) according to Tourism New Zealand. When taking a close look at OAG Traffic Analyser data for traffic between Europe and New Zealand in 2016, there were an estimated 828,400 two-way passengers making the journey in 2016
Dubai (30% of transit traffic), Singapore (14%) and Hong Kong (9.6%). In 2017 so far, the top two hubs still remain Dubai and Singapore, however as a result of Qatar Airways’ new route, Doha has become the third most popular connecting hub between New Zealand and Europe."

Let's attempt to break the stats down a bit with a few rough observations for some discussion points. Apologies in advance if the math isn't quite right.- I think it is accurate enough to get a gauge and prompt some discussion at least.

675 passengers per day UK. But as we know most of them come in just Dec-Mar and a smaller one in June. Using Tourism NZ stats Those 5 months account for 65% of UK market so in other words over the other 32 Weeks they drop significantly to around 385 a day.

285 passengers Germany. Using those stats and just Dec-Mar equates to 58% of German passengers. meaning for the other 35 weeks they average 178 a day.

2269 passengers a day ex Europe
30% a day on EK from AKL, CHC = 680 per day (across 5 flights, then 4 flights (no SYD).
14% SIN 317 per day (25 flights a week)
9.6% HKG 217 per day

- Those destinations are all being operated multiple flights and.or multiple points every day except QR

- SIN to Europe averages just 88 passengers per flight across AKL/WLG/CHC year around 60% of the annual passengers in 16 weeks of the year is around 620 a day ex UK/ Europe over that period.and only about 1285 a week the rest of the year/ split over 25 flights is approximate 50 passengers ex EU per flight in low season)

- HX likely has next to no transfer passengers to Europe (HX doesn't fly there except via EY AUH)

- CX is double daily over the summer and NZ daily and still, only 108 passengers average over 2 flights a day throughout the year, yet we can deduce either that most of that must be happening during the 4-5 months a year that the frequency is increased to 3 a day, or the increased flights have little in the way of European connections. This seems unlikely given what I stated above with the peak flow from Europe figures. Again if we extrude the facts that by using the monthly stats NZ info means during those 15-16 weeks for passengers ex Europe Dec-Mar they are in the ballpark of 440 passengers a day over that period divided over 3 a day is about 145 passengers each flight connecting LHR/MAN/CDG/MUC/AMS/FRA/FCO/MXP onto CX

- CX to CHC and the EK cutbacks won't show in the stats yet, so next year we might expect HKG to expand and DXB to contract significantly unless they add another flight

- EK across 5 flights is only averaging 136 per flight per day and given the cost of operating an A380 direct to DXB, you'd hope for EK's sake that they are mostly on that service. If we assume industry load factor average of 79% (AKL avg mentioned in the article) x config 489 then 387 passengers a day are leaving AKL-DXB of which the majority will be to Europe topped up with Africa/India and a lesser extent to the US. Can we make a logical leap that given their pricing, advertising in the market being weighted toward EU rather than India/Africa that somewhere around half +/- the daily average for DXB-EU is on one service, meaning that for the other 4 flights are only competing for the other half I think this shows 1) how difficult EK is finding it to fill 5 A380 a day consistently .2) That once they stop Oz they will lose a big chunk of the Europe market if they don't have more than one flight a day, but that there may not currently be enough demand for two A380s AKL-DXB. except during this peak where using the same figures, they average around 1300 a day ex Europe over the 5 flights.

- The article leaves out specific DOH percentage stats as it only started 5 Feb we have not yet had a full year of stats., It is hard to glean much as a result, but the stats Aug-Aug so after 6 months service measured in these stats they are between SIN and HKG, so after a full year may well be significantly higher, even after the initial honeymoon period of being the newest transit stopover destination and longest flight wears off, QR have had only one of the two big seasonal boosts so far, but not yet Dec-Mar boost,

- CZ/MU/CA/MH/TG and others are having little impact on this European transfer market despite their frequencies. and CZ flying to CHC as well. TG/MH going daily again (and at same time every day for MH) may well show that Thailand/Malaysia stopover stats will show improvement again next year especially if EK stay at 1 a day ex AKL.

/
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NZ321

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:07 pm

These stats help explain why prices AKL-SIN are on the high side. We need real competition on this route. I fly regularly between KUL and AKL and have taken to flying Thai business class via BKK because it is cheaper than premium economy on NZ or SQ via SIN. And I get business class air-points and a stop in BKK on the return (not the most convenient but worth it in the circumstances). If EK starts SIN - AKL that will heat things up a bit.
Plane mad!

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
SIN to Europe averages just 88 passengers per flight across AKL/WLG/CHC year around

Regarding SQ's Europe - New Zealand business, if your figure of 88 passengers is correct, remember:

- The Europe - New Zealand corridor is growing at double digit figures - the 88 passengers could well turn into ~100 passengers through organic growth
- SIN's position as the second biggest hub in the corridor is likely to get a boost, through capacity to DXB (the largest hub) being slashed in the next year
- Those 88 passengers to Europe could produce a yield equivalent to a much larger number of passengers on a competitor (given SQ's premium pricing)

Further, it would be naive to judge SQ's presence in New Zealand solely on Europe connections, when:

- O&D traffic between New Zealand and Singapore is likely to be strong (companies run their New Zealand activities through Singapore, like Microsoft)
- SIN is arguably the leading hub in the India - New Zealand corridor (growth of 17.2% in the past year), which is less competitive than the China corridor
- SQ is likely to source a big chunk of ASEAN traffic for its flights, given the lack of GA (Indonesia) and VN (Vietnam) in New Zealand (unlike in Australia)

IMHO, there is definitely scope for further growth on AKL - SIN, if not by SQ / NZ, then by EK or others.

NZ321 wrote:
These stats help explain why prices AKL-SIN are on the high side. We need real competition on this route.

:checkmark:

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:44 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
Out of interest does anyone know what's become of the Vanuatu runway situation? Presumably it's been rectified but NZ hasn't returned. Is this correct?

No - a terminal upgrade and runway repairs at VLI are underway.

The former is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year, and the latter, by early next year.

See:
- https://www.gov.vu/en/public-informatio ... iosecurity.
- http://dailypost.vu/news/vt-million-pro ... 1f84d.html.

NZ has stated that it may return to VLI, pending completion of these works:

"An Air New Zealand spokesperson says it would only consider resuming scheduled services once a permanent solution for the runway at Bauerfield has been fully funded, designed to a satisfactory standard and contracted to a competent contractor."

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... ll-on-hold.

Interestingly, VA is operating to VLI without any issue, and its experts have "given the all-clear" to the runway there.

See: http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/ ... tu-service.

I envisage that NZ will return to VLI at some point in 2018.

Cheers,

C.

aerorobnz

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:49 am

planemanofnz wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:
SIN to Europe averages just 88 passengers per flight across AKL/WLG/CHC year around

Regarding SQ's Europe - New Zealand business, if your figure of 88 passengers is correct, remember:

That is average over the year. The point was really to show that during that peak they are pushing much more than that. I think what is more important than the individual averages I stated is that New Zealand is still so ridiculously peaky and the goal for Tourism NZ and the airlines should be to extend the season at either end rather than just increase overall numbers. What marks a good tourism market is the ability to draw people year round, and that is part of ZQN's growth right now over other regions. There will always be peaks, but the real gains will happen once we hack into that offseason market.

The yields for New Zealand are very high for a very limited period, the rest of the year it takes a real effort to make it pay off. There are only limited long-haul routes that justify themselves year-round and one of those is SIN. This is due to a combination of passenger and freight demand year-round and closely monitored capacity/yield control. EK's downsizing if it stays as 2 New Zealand flights a day will only be good for the yields of all other airlines flying to connecting markets. The chronic overcapacity supplied to the market is responsible for making the whole AKL market marginal for a number of carriers. Now that it has self-corrected the market can more organically adjust to the real demands of the market.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ZK-NBT

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am

planemanofnz wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Cheers,

C.

That’s obviously the NS or our winter as SQ run a daily A380 over NW which gives it a lot more seats than an MH A333, if it was averaged over the whole year SQ would be ahead of several of those carriers on seats offered.

CX always have double the SQ frequencies since NZ took over the second SQ flight in 2015. If anything I could see NZ using a 772 to increase the premium seats to SIN.

DavidByrne

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 am

EK’s cutback to AKL may be the perfect opportunity for a second NZ flight to SIN, moving toward their stated medium term goal to increase Asian frequencies and link Asia with S America and at the same time capture some of what EK is giving up. Even if not daily initially. Though for most efficient utilisation the two flights would need to be morning and early afternoon out of AKL.

ZK-NBT

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 am

DavidByrne wrote:
EK’s cutback to AKL may be the perfect opportunity for a second NZ flight to SIN, moving toward their stated medium term goal to increase Asian frequencies and link Asia with S America and at the same time capture some of what EK is giving up. Even if not daily initially. Though for most efficient utilisation the two flights would need to be morning and early afternoon out of AKL.

I think more likely SQ add a second flight like discussed earlier probly taking back the night flight with NZ adding something to connect to EZE both ways, also means NZ don’t have an odd long haul arrival at night often meaning the same aircraft is stuck on the SIN flight for days which isn’t necessarily a problem but might reduce flexibility.

AKL 1000 SIN 1530
SIN 0100 AKL 1545

SQ IMO aren’t likely to change their current flight to much unless they went back to a later departure to focus solely on European connections and maybe India and JNB.

SIN 0100 AKL 1545
AKL 1730 SIN 2300

NZ could then have 2 flights ex AKL at 0115 and 1000 or SQ could do one of those.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos