Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

cpl22586

Re: JetBlue taking over Marine Air Terminal in LGA

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:39 am

From the release that was sent out to jetblue crewmembers jetblue will be the operator of the Marine Air Terminal which will give them the opportunity to have complete control over the customer experience. American, Delta and the Port Authority will reimburse jetblue for any enhancements made to the Marine Air Terminal.

Terminal enhancements will include a expanded check-in area with self bag tagging kiosks, an additional security checkpoint and also improved concsessions.

In addition there will be more support space and ramp space, control of the ramp, and deicing flow. The flight and inflight crewmembers will have a dedicated lane post security.

They will be relocating to the Marine Air Terminal the evening of December 8th and launching operations the morning of Saturday December 9th. This is an ambitious timeline with many teams working behind the scenes to deliver a ‘two-phased’ approach to the project.

On Day 1, Jetblue will begin operating with the essential infrastructure in place to begin operations along with providing some improvements for Customers, such as self-service check-in and expanded security processing. The second phase of the project will continue for some weeks after we move in and will include further enhancements to the Customer experience such as expansion of the pre-security spaces and improved concessions offerings for their Customers.

Jetblue is also working on setting up a dedicated ops center in the Marine Air Terminal.

From my understanding Alaska, Frontier and Spirit will be moving to the Marine Air Terminal.

COSPN

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:44 am

Is the old US Air terminal still owned by United Airlines fka ( continental) fka( New York air ) ?

CobaltScar

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:13 pm

cpl22586 wrote:
The flight and inflight crewmembers will have a dedicated lane post security.

Lounge, not Lane.

jfklganyc

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

NYPECO wrote:
Why is the terminal called that?

Pan Ams flying boats left from the back of the building

stlgph

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:11 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
I live in Astoria and decided to go for a run to the MAT this morning. That place is....interesting. The "rotunda" entrance (pic posted earlier in this thread) is pretty awesome and I love the blast from the past. The exhibits of the boat planes are fantastic for any av geek and brought a huge smile to my face.

The Yankee Clipper restaurant looks like underutilized space in its current form. That space could be transformed into a much nicer restaurant/bar - or perhaps be utilized for check-in space. There was another room being utilized for what seemed to be a charter or private jet service - are they expected to remain there?

I noticed there was virtually zero DL marketing in the room - it was empty. No kiosks, no employees - nothing. I assume B6 will utilize this space somehow, because the current DL check-in area is basically just a small room, and it's hard to see how B6 is going to funnel passengers checking in for full flights to Florida (and 2/3 full flights to Boston) using the current setup.

Obviously I didn't go past security, but from the outside it looks essentially like a trailer, and is very small. Would it be possible for B6 to (1) move the security checkpoint forward, such that the current check-in space becomes a post-security area (thus increasing concession and seating area), and (2) use the rotunda as the check-in hall?

jfklganyc wrote:
It's for 5 years...which in avaition is a lifetime.

My bet, you never see B6 leave the MAT

:checkmark:

Agree with you here. B6 seemingly likes to have control over all as many aspects of the travel experience as possible, and having its own dedicated terminal at LGA (with AS a resident, which I don't think they'll particularly mind) fits right into its brand as NY's hometown airline.

My understanding is that the new LGA terminals will be all CUTE gates, except for DL's terminal. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

stlgph wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I can't comment on taxis, but I would find hard to believe that ride sharing apps would ignore certain parts of queens because it's raining outside.

There is q47 and airport terminal buses that should run regardless.

Been at the MAT 3 times when the airport was wiped clean of flights because of rain. Took 2 hours and 20 minutes the first time, 2 hours and 55 minutes the second time, because no one could get to the MAT because of the traffic slow coming out of Terminal B & C & D. The third ...didn't even bother and couldn't even locate a car. Walked over to Singlecut Brewery and had myself a good time while drying off. So, again, try being crammed in there for 3 hours with a ton of people with limited facilities, limited place to go, and fighting for transportation. Of course, since this has never happened to you, and it has happened to me 3 times, please continue to post away telling me I'm stupid. You might just win the internet.

At that point you might as well have walked to the Ditmars N/W station ;)

For the record I didn't see anything that tphuang wrote to imply you are stupid. You both made some valid points. I hope we can all remain civil and just appreciate each other's love for aviation.

CobaltScar wrote:
This should be a good thing for the brand.

If executed correctly, then it should be. JetBlue generally does these things well (look how well T5 turned out), so I have high expectations. But there are certainly challenges - particularly (1) the size of the space, along with the restrictions regarding its landmark status, and (2) potential transportation issues due to its disconnection from the main terminal area, as highlighted by others on this thread.

No, it's amazing what happens when you read and respond to actual written text, and not just posting to be posting, which is a problem among so many here. On top of that, it was a lovely 3 hours at Singlecut.

Speaking of Singlecut, and places like it, I'm surprised with all the small brewers popping up around town, particularly in Queens, jetBlue or Delta hasn't jumped on it for some of their beer offerings.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

tphuang

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:56 pm

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... e-New-York’s-Hometown-Airline®-Relocate-Historic

News release on this. Spirit and frontier depart from c and arrive at d

incitatus

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm

The MAT is a historical landmark. It is cute. But in airport terms, let's face the reality: It is a dump.

A historical landmark in New York City.... now try to hang on a wall a 5" in x 7" in sign or photo. Good luck with that, it will take months of approvals and concerned citizens saying you can't do it. B6 will have to do magic to transform this lemon into lemonade.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

superjeff

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 pm

NYPECO wrote:

"Marine Air Terminal" is where the Pan Am flying boats departed and landed to Europe and South America in the 1930's.

ty97

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 pm

tphuang wrote:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171020005575/en/JetBlue-New-York’s-Hometown-Airline®-Relocate-Historic

News release on this.

"JetBlue plans to move back to the Central Terminal when construction is completed."

Interesting.

ty97

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Full press release from PANYNJ

American will consolidate its operations - including American Airlines Shuttle - at Terminal B, ceasing its flights at Terminal C
Delta will co-locate its LaGuardia operations in Terminals C and D by relocating its Delta Shuttle to Chicago and Washington, D.C. from Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal) to Terminal C
JetBlue and Alaska will move its operations to Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal) from Terminal B
Frontier and Spirit also will move from Terminal B and begin operations at Terminal D (Departing passengers, however, must check in at Terminal C.)

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/press- ... ne_id=2809

bluefltspecial

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:34 am

NYPECO wrote:

You mean the MAT? The Marine Air Terminal?

Read up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Air_Terminal
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

varsity

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm

COSPN wrote:
Is the old US Air terminal still owned by United Airlines fka ( continental) fka( New York air ) ?

No, I think C & D are both controlled by Delta. I don't think they own it, but they have the primary lease with the PA. I believe that was part of the large shakeup between US and DL that also involved a bunch of slots at DCA.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

varsity

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 pm

tphuang wrote:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171020005575/en/JetBlue-New-York’s-Hometown-Airline®-Relocate-Historic

Can I assume this means their ticket counters are in C but their gates/baggage claim are in D? Does not seem like it makes any sense to tow empty planes around, especially on domestic.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

varsity

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

incitatus wrote:
The MAT is a historical landmark. It is cute. But in airport terms, let's face the reality: It is a dump.

A historical landmark in New York City.... now try to hang on a wall a 5" in x 7" in sign or photo. Good luck with that, it will take months of approvals and concerned citizens saying you can't do it. B6 will have to do magic to transform this lemon into lemonade.

Safe to assume this is why there are empty counters in the rotunda and the actual check-in is down the hall? Probably too complicated to design retro-looking counter swag, especially for a temporary setup. I do SHPO filings as part of my job and you ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:49 pm

It was the perfect GenAv terminal run by Butler Aviation. ITT has it flight department across the street with gate to close off the access road when their planes taxied out.

GF

airliner371

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 pm

varsity wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Can I assume this means their ticket counters are in C but their gates/baggage claim are in D? Does not seem like it makes any sense to tow empty planes around, especially on domestic.

Ticket counters are in C, baggage claim and gates are in D.

thegoldenargosy

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 am

The gate area of the MAT is tiny. It sounds like it will be tight quarters with B6 & AS.

bpat777

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 am

I flew into the MAT from BOS one Saturday and I was surprised at how small and bare bones the gate area is. Kinda like one large room.
Must be just as miserable as the CTB/Concourse A was during delays or peak times.

rbavfan

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
redzeppelin wrote:
So I'm sensing a pattern... B6 is the primary tenant at LGB, with its historic terminal. B6 controls the historic TWA terminal at JFK. B6 is about to assume management of the historic MAT at LGA. These terminals are all classics. Does JetBlue leadership have some affinity for aviation history? Do they value preservation? Do they have brand equity invested in classic architecture and want their passengers to associate with them with the glamour of aviation in past decades? Are there any other classic aviation properties that they are invested in? Any that they should invest in? Hmm.... :scratchchin:

A while ago I posted a thread https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1349383 which looked at the oldest terminal buildings still in use. Looking at pre-jet age ones, here's what might be relevant to JetBlue (thinking of the general area of their operations) from those:

• Burbank
  • Dublin (Original terminal which is currently used as offices)
  • LaGuardia (Marine Air Terminal)
  • Rio de Janiero Santos Dumont
  • São Paulo Congonhas
  • London Gatwick (Beehive building)
  • Long Beach
  • Paris Le Bourget
  • Washington National (original terminal)
  • Los Angeles (Hangar 1)
  • Santa Fe
  • New Orleans Lakefront
  • Santa Barbara
  • Detroit (Executive Terminal)
  • Stockholm Brooma
  • Copenhagen (Lauritzen terminal now used for VIP)
  • Boeing Field Seattle (original terminal)

Obviously they've already got Long Beach, and are getting LGA's MAT as per this thread. In addition they serve Burbank, Washington National, LAX and Detroit - out of those Washington National could be interesting to tie I. To the historic terminal?

Anyway this is a little off topic - maybe another thread is needed to discuss B6 and historic buildings?

V/F

WN controls DCA historic terminal A. I doubt WN would give it up.

richierich

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 pm

incitatus wrote:

It's only the rotunda that's the landmark, so besides a couple of check-in kiosks, I don't believe JetBlue is doing anything in that structure.
The real changes will be in the check-in and gate area. That's not protected, but it is very small. DL operated a shuttle operation from there for many years but B6's type of operation is different. Not sure where all the people will sit, for example, so it may be a bit tough in there for the next few years, especially if there is any sort of construction going on. And shuttle customers don't usually travel with a lot of checked luggage...

LGA is convenient to Manhattan - lack of a one seat ride on public transportation aside - but it really is a dump of an airport. Whether you liked Joe Biden as this country's VP or not, it is hard to disagree with his comment about LGA being a third world airport. Things will get better in about 5 years.
None shall pass!!!!

jfklganyc

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:01 pm

I went through last week. Looks exactly the same as when DL ran it. Some new colors here and there. New signs. No check in counters. Very barebones but much more spacious and modern in terminal and ramp then the CTB was. If I was B6, I would scrap the 1980s addition and build out a new 6 gate terminal for a permanant home in a quiet end of a very congested airport!

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I went through last week. Looks exactly the same as when DL ran it. Some new colors here and there. New signs. No check in counters. Very barebones but much more spacious and modern in terminal and ramp then the CTB was. If I was B6, I would scrap the 1980s addition and build out a new 6 gate terminal for a permanant home in a quiet end of a very congested airport!

I agree B6's operation at LGA is O&D and not connections. You do not need a lot of amenities. What people want is ease of use and MAT has that in spades. If they really need more seats, perhaps adding some seats in the ramp area between security and the gates (where DL kept the newspapers).

WALmsp

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 pm

richierich wrote:
incitatus wrote:
LGA is convenient to Manhattan - lack of a one seat ride on public transportation aside - but it really is a dump of an airport. Whether you liked Joe Biden as this country's VP or not, it is hard to disagree with his comment about LGA being a third world airport. Things will get better in about 5 years.

Better than a s***hole airport, I suppose. :devil:
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

GuruJanitor

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 am

jfklganyc wrote:

Problem is they are going to move back to the CTB when the new one opens in a few years (I asked on Twitter and B6 confirmed the plan). I don’t see why they’d feel the need to spend significant money when the move is temporary, and they are likely lining up a ton of capital for the eventual Terminal 6 project at JFK.

I flew through last week as well and enjoyed the actual terminal itself much more than the concourse they had at CTB. However I do miss going to the Centurion before flights for breakfast. Free gateside coffee from World Bean isn’t quite the same...

wnflyguy

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:44 am

JetBlue was smart to temporarily relocate to the MAT during the construction of the CTB.
While everyone else will be doing the construction shuffle over the next 5 yrs B6 pax will be saved for the Headache guess where is my Gate is today?

Congratulations I was hoping WN would have taken that deal.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

tphuang

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:47 am

GuruJanitor wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Problem is they are going to move back to the CTB when the new one opens in a few years (I asked on Twitter and B6 confirmed the plan). I don’t see why they’d feel the need to spend significant money when the move is temporary, and they are likely lining up a ton of capital for the eventual Terminal 6 project at JFK.

I flew through last week as well and enjoyed the actual terminal itself much more than the concourse they had at CTB. However I do miss going to the Centurion before flights for breakfast. Free gateside coffee from World Bean isn’t quite the same...

i'm still unconvinced they will actually move back to CTB unless that becomes a better solution for them somehow. MAT currently just offers such a convenient location compared to the madness at CTB.

Now if they can just get even 3 to 5 more slots, then they can move those MCO/PBI flights to JFK and add flights to DCA/ORD. That will make things so much more interesting.

INFINITI329

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am

Does Southwest get sole control of the B Pier?

GuruJanitor

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:46 pm

tphuang wrote:

i'm still unconvinced they will actually move back to CTB unless that becomes a better solution for them somehow. MAT currently just offers such a convenient location compared to the madness at CTB.

Now if they can just get even 3 to 5 more slots, then they can move those MCO/PBI flights to JFK and add flights to DCA/ORD. That will make things so much more interesting.

I believe them when they say that is the plan. The new CTB will be far and away nicer and better than even the MAT, and if you believe the expectations, should be even more convenient. (I have my doubts because even with improved traffic routing, the Grand Central is always such a cluster). Don’t get me wrong, I love the MAT as a frequent LGA-BOS flyer and was thrilled that B6 was moving there. But I really don’t see them staying long term, and the limted reno work they did (new signs, some new paint etc) alludes that they feel the same way.

With NexGen eventually coming online, and the opening of T6 at JFK down the road, I can still see the shuffle you refer to happening regardless of what terminal they end up at long term at LGA and moving to purely regional shuttle operation there for sure.

stlgph

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:03 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
JetBlue was smart to temporarily relocate to the MAT during the construction of the CTB.
While everyone else will be doing the construction shuffle over the next 5 yrs B6 pax will be saved for the Headache guess where is my Gate is today?

Congratulations I was hoping WN would have taken that deal.

Flyguy

At least the gate shuffle is in the same building.
I've gone four times out of LaGuardia since the move and all kinds of folks have been showing up running around frantically looking for their jetBlue flight.
Even overheard a couple in the A concourse PAST the security check come up to the Air Canada counter looking for their flight to Orlando. That was a doozy.

jfklganyc

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Well, if you miss all the signs (electronic and regular) on every road leading to the airport you should miss your flight.

bpat777

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Well, if you miss all the signs (electronic and regular) on every road leading to the airport you should miss your flight.

I agree with you on that one. It never ceases to amaze me how many people ask questions and their are neon and printed signs/arrows and directions all over with answers. Too many passengers are glued to their phone rather than opening their eyes and minds and reading. Guess that's the world we live in.

ScottB

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:14 am

jfklganyc wrote:

Well, to be fair, not everyone going to LGA is driving themselves there, and if you're in the back of a taxi, Uber, Lyft, livery/black car, etc., it's a lot tougher to see those signs. Before the carrier shuffle, it was pretty easy for cabbies/Uber/Lyft/livery drivers because if the passenger wasn't on Delta or some American flights, you just took them to the CTB. B6 doesn't have that big of a presence at LGA so I could easily imagine those drivers going to the wrong terminal for the first few weeks.

stlgph wrote:
Even overheard a couple in the A concourse PAST the security check come up to the Air Canada counter looking for their flight to Orlando. That was a doozy.

It's a bit troubling TSA didn't notice that when they scanned the boarding pass...

varsity

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 pm

bpat777 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

I agree with you on that one. It never ceases to amaze me how many people ask questions and their are neon and printed signs/arrows and directions all over with answers. Too many passengers are glued to their phone rather than opening their eyes and minds and reading. Guess that's the world we live in.

Thank you. I think people are on auto pilot (see what I did there?) much of the time.

I am avgeek enough to want to try it once even though they don't go anyplace from there that I couldn't depart from EWR. Just want to experience it.

stlgph

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 pm

ScottB wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Well, to be fair, not everyone going to LGA is driving themselves there, and if you're in the back of a taxi, Uber, Lyft, livery/black car, etc., it's a lot tougher to see those signs. Before the carrier shuffle, it was pretty easy for cabbies/Uber/Lyft/livery drivers because if the passenger wasn't on Delta or some American flights, you just took them to the CTB. B6 doesn't have that big of a presence at LGA so I could easily imagine those drivers going to the wrong terminal for the first few weeks.

stlgph wrote:

It's a bit troubling TSA didn't notice that when they scanned the boarding pass...

Also keep in mind your Uber driver is heading for the address where you tell him to go. And if you tell him Central Terminal, well, he's headed to the Central Terminal. If you put in an airport on Lyft, however, it asks you what airline you are flying, and before the move for American in December, it prompted me to specify a terminal for my departure. If you come in by bus, you're probably missing those signs, too. They just stop and tell you to get the hell out so they can get on their way.

And yes, I kind of about died when the JetBlue folk showed up in Concourse A. That's the TSA for you. *AND* the Air Canada representative said "not the first time that's happened."

!!

travelsonic

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm

ScottB wrote:
jfklganyc"
[quote="stlgph wrote:

It has been almost 3 years since I last went out of LGA, but wasn't jetBlue in concourse A, at least for a while (if not still/presently)? If so, I think that'd be a little easier to understand, both JB and AC flights going out of the same concourse.

varsity

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm

COSPN wrote:

No, I think Delta took over the master lease as part of the big slot shake up between US/DL involving LGA and DCA. The prospectus that came out from the PA refers to Delta as the primary leaseholder.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos