zackary747

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Would not be surprised to see Spirit come in on some of those routes, if not all of them. At. All. We could probably place money on which one comes first - Tampa, Ft Myers or Ft Lauderdale

I'd love to see them get creative and do something different than that - Boston, Houston, Newark, Dallas/Ft Worth come to mind. The jury is out here on which one would come first - but I may venture a guess and say EWR.

But I'd love to see them get even more creative and offer service to cities not on the map. West Palm Beach, Hartford and Pittsburgh/Latrobe come to mind. I'd place money on PBI being the most likely on this short list.

Funny you should mention IND-FLL, just looked on NK's website, and IND-FLL is listed as an option however all the flights are blank......So it might be that FLL is the first route they bite on

Probably nothing, but I still found it odd, although I sometimes see that on F9's website as well

IND-EWR would be a great add for IND, considering the loss of EWR

I see EWR being more of an Allegiant add if anything. The airport needs to convince them to add EWR.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

stlgph

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Even Allegiant to EWR would be nice - Spirit though would likely be daily service.
Not sure of their gate situation in EWR though.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Midwestindy

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Looks like I missed another one, so TPA and FLL are both now listed as destinations from IND on NK, however no flights are bookable. So, I'm guessing these are the next two routes that NK will announce
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Midwestindy

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:35 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Would not be surprised to see Spirit come in on some of those routes, if not all of them. At. All. We could probably place money on which one comes first - Tampa, Ft Myers or Ft Lauderdale

I'd love to see them get creative and do something different than that - Boston, Houston, Newark, Dallas/Ft Worth come to mind. The jury is out here on which one would come first - but I may venture a guess and say EWR.

But I'd love to see them get even more creative and offer service to cities not on the map. West Palm Beach, Hartford and Pittsburgh/Latrobe come to mind. I'd place money on PBI being the most likely on this short list.

Funny you should mention IND-FLL, just looked on NK's website, and IND-FLL is listed as an option however all the flights are blank......So it might be that FLL is the first route they bite on

Probably nothing, but I still found it odd, although I sometimes see that on F9's website as well

I see EWR being more of an Allegiant add if anything. The airport needs to convince them to add EWR.

I read on another forum that gate availability will likely limit G4's growth at IND

zackary747

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I read on another forum that gate availability will likely limit G4's growth at IND

What’s the forum title? Also, I think a 3x weekly seasonal EWR flight should be enough for the current gate situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestindy

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:51 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

What’s the forum title? Also, I think a 3x weekly seasonal EWR flight should be enough for the current gate situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/alle ... -indy.html

G4's operating model is not conventional. Theoretically, they could run ~20 flights a day out of their current gates, however G4's operating model makes that very difficult to do.

There's definitely room for some more flights, but moving forward it will be interesting to watch

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Moving my 2018 predictions to this thread
2018 Route Predictions:

Delta: IND-SEA/LAS, maybe AUS if DL adds p2p from there
Allegiant: IND-LAX/BWI/EWR/+SJU if tourism recovers, and int'l flights if they have their system up in time
Southwest: IND-SAT/BNA or STL, + plus maybe an oddball route

United: IND-LAX
American: Status Quo
One Jet: IND-MKE/MEM
Air Canada: Status Quo
Sun Country: IND-RSW/MSP/DFW
JetBlue: IND-BOS + JFK or FLL

Frontier: Status Quo, maybe IND-MIA
Alaska/Virgin America: Status Quo, maybe IND-SAN/PDX

2018 Frequency/Mainline predictions:
Southwest: IND-AUS goes daily, IND-SAN goes year-round, IND-DAL goes 2x daily
Delta: IND-RSW/MSP goes all mainline, IND-LGA/BOS see more mainline
American: IND-ORD sees mainline year-round
United: IND-EWR sees mainline again

Less likely, but still possibilities:
WW or FI: IND-KEF
AM: IND-MEX
WS/DL/AC: more IND-Canada
DY/D8: IND-LGW
G4: IND-OAK, SAN, RDU, PVD, or DEN

DL: IND-BDL/TPA
NK: IND-FLL/LAS/MCO/e.t.c
7Q: IND-wherever

As the year comes to a close, I'll admit I was a little off with a few of my predictions :lol:

Looks like I got some right here and there, but for the most part I was pretty far off most of these

ibthebigd

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:09 pm

What's everyone predictions for 2019

Mine are:

JetBlue

More flights from Spirit

Airport expansion either 4 more gates or International Arrival improvements

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:41 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
What's everyone predictions for 2019

Mine are:

JetBlue

More flights from Spirit

Airport expansion either 4 more gates or International Arrival improvements

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jetblue :checkmark:

More Spirit flights :checkmark:

I don't see airport expansion happening next year though, as the 2019 budget is already approved (unless of course they announce it for 2020)

In addition to the B6/NK predictions you made, here are mine:
- I think another destination or two from G4 is reasonable, plus the return of IND-AZA
- More frequencies and upguages are likely from DL
- Either YUL or MEX
- AA running 3x-4x mainline on IND-ORD for the summer
- 1 or 2 new routes from F9
- United-status quo
- Alaska-status quo
- Southwest-MCI/MDW/ATL trimmed or dropped

Less likely:
AA drops IND-JFK
AS/DL increase summer capacity to SEA
A220 flights are announced
WN adds a route(BNA or STL)

kindeham

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Jetblue :checkmark:

More Spirit flights :checkmark:

I don't see airport expansion happening next year though, as the 2019 budget is already approved (unless of course they announce it for 2020)

In addition to the B6/NK predictions you made, here are mine:
- I think another destination or two from G4 is reasonable, plus the return of IND-AZA
- More frequencies and upguages are likely from DL
- Either YUL or MEX
- AA running 3x-4x mainline on IND-ORD for the summer
- 1 or 2 new routes from F9
- United-status quo
- Alaska-status quo
- Southwest-MCI/MDW/ATL trimmed or dropped

Less likely:
AA drops IND-JFK
AS/DL increase summer capacity to SEA
A220 flights are announced
WN adds a route(BNA or STL)

I guess I will play along.

Likely:
Jetblue (BOS and FLL)
Spirit adds 2-3 Florida destinations
DL or AM to MEX

Average Chance:
DL 2-3x weekly to AMS during summer (announced in 2019, flown in 2020)
Announcement of overhaul of international arrivals area to include the present green space to happen in 2020
Spirit to a Caribbean destination perhaps SJU

Slight chance:
BA LHR-IND on a 787
AC to YUL

Stranger things have happened (I'm looking in the direction of Charleston)
IND-Asia on someone
IND-FRA on UAL or Lufthansa

pmanni1

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:32 pm

WN to STL seems like it would've been added years ago. Right now IND to other Midwest cities like DSM, OMA, ICT, TUL, OKC is 6-8 hours and sometimes 2 plane changes. If IND had flights into STL's westward WN banks they could be reduced to 3 hours.

zackary747

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:52 pm

I guess I will make my predictions.

JetBlue (BOS and maybe FLL)
Spirit to FLL and TPA. RSW, DFW, IAH could be added afterward.
Allegiant to SJU and/or EWR and possibly the temporary suspended AZA flight could come back late 2019.
Alaska to PDX (seasonal) and maybe SAN (This could also be a 2020 announcement depending on how slow AS is)
Frontier adds 1-2 routes and then drops them 6 months after they start
DL or AM to MEX
AC (Maybe YUL)
Southwest (Maybe BNA. I don't see anything else other than that. They're in stagnation mode)

Less Likely but possible

LCC to Europe: Icelandair to KEF or Condor to FRA.

I also will not entertain the Asia flight idea until MEX is announced first. I am convinced the state is 100 percent focused on that first and then Asia thereafter.

stlgph

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:13 pm

I think the focus in 2019 will not be so much on new flights but on the customer experience. Part of being able to build up a great airport and attract new services is being able to show you can sustain them. Part of that is creating a pleasing experience for the guest.

A re-think of the area where Uber and Lyft pick people up. Right now, it's a total hot ass mess and an accident waiting to happen.

Expanded music in the terminal programs and performances to help make it a "happy" traveling experience.

I have not had the experience personally, but I have read the comments. I think we will see some sort of announcement about improving the spaces in the customs facility. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. Can't wait to read the social media comments in the late winter when 3 planes pull in at the same time.

New LED screens to provide aesthetics acting as directional signs, celebrating Indiana tourism opportunities and companies headquartered in the area.

An additional lounge. Wingtips?

Expansion of the phone app into the German and French languages.

Webcam of the field - why not? May help improve interaction with the general public on social media channels.

Trial program starts allowing visitors past the gates without a ticket.

Concession Refresh Program-

The plan has been announced and should be underway and hopefully we will see some progress in 2019. I hope IND airport gets this one right - whereas up at MDW, the whole concession refresh program there has sucked donkey ass and made things there worse.

It would be nice to see a focus on the number of breweries and wineries throughout Indiana, giving many a chance to be represented at some point in some fashion either a tasting station or a tasting festival or a restaurant-style facility operated at the airport featuring the different breweries on tap for a week or a month or what have you. Columbus has something similar except it is built around Sam Adams "featuring" Ohio beer….that's fine, but leave Sam Adams at home this time.

I can definitely see a pizza joint coming in but for the love of God, NOT Home Run Inn. (this reflects my MDW comment)

Can also see the addition of another clothing store, gift store or retail shop. Not to compare apples/oranges but Pittsbugh has such things as a GNC, PGA store, Hugo Boss, etc.etc.

Off the cuff guesses-

I think by the end of 2019 we will have a proposed airport hotel in place and shovels will be ready to go. I will say I am not in 100% agreement with the necessity of this, but it is what it is.

I will guess something crazy like the construction of a designated space for studio use - use by local TV stations or radio stations. At the very least the airport buys out a morning show or two broadcast for a day just to market and promote the airport.

*AND* just because, service guesses-

Additional westbound flight to St. Somewhere. My first guesses would be additional SLC (afternoon) on Delta or a 5th DEN trip on Southwest or a 2nd daily to OAK depending on what happens with Southwest's Hawaii service bases from the mainland.

Southwest adds another frequency to Chicago Midway or Atlanta.

Delta adds another destination on Delta Connection, boosts Ft. Myers and boosts the season on the third daily flight to JFK.

To little or no fanfair, Allegiant boosts services to Sarasota and Ft. Walton Beach.

At the end of the year, Allegiant announces Newport News/Virginia Beach for 2020. IND makes the cut for inaugural services.

Alaska stays the same and doesn't do anything to surprise us, much to the dismay of all.

Frontier brings back Trenton.

American stays boring and upgrades, downgrades and reduces frequencies and adds frqeuencies doing nothing but entertaining those who follow along at home.

Spirit gets to their common sweet spot by adding 3 destinations to a total of 6, 4 year around and 2 seasonal. While the cities are there, some services are less than daily. If Spirit stays where they are, I see Sun Country coming in late 2019 or announcing 2019 for 2020 for the cities we would anticipate to be picked up by Spirit.

United stays boring and breaks some guitars or manages to do something absolutely stupid again that somehow makes national news …. and it happens at IND.

FA9295

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:41 pm

zackary747 wrote:
I guess I will make my predictions.

Alaska to PDX (seasonal) and maybe SAN (This could also be a 2020 announcement depending on how slow AS is)

Yeah, Alaska's investor report stated that their route network growth is going to be significantly slower in 2019. If the E175 had an economical payload for such a long route, then PDX-IND would probably already be here. Maybe SAN-IND as well.

I could see a summer seasonal 737 on these routes, but I wouldn't cross my fingers for a 2019 launch...

kindeham

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:13 pm

stlgph wrote:

United stays boring and breaks some guitars or manages to do something absolutely stupid again that somehow makes national news …. and it happens at IND.

They will somehow manage to dump the blue water on the people in the parking lot of the Beech Grove Walmart.

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:56 pm

stlgph wrote:
An additional lounge. Wingtips?

Forgot to add expanded Skyclub to my list of predictions, although Idk how much space there is to expand
https://d1j6zi7czwjuok.cloudfront.net/i ... de-Map.pdf

It looks like it could potentially be expanded to the east, but i'm not sure. IIRC, Indianapolis has one of the smallest Skyclubs in the system, and there was a rumor DL was looking into expanding it which fits in well with the refresh program they are doing at the airport.

Here is a picture I found from a few years ago:

Indy

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 am

Based on that pic the club clearly needs to be expanded. And consider how much Delta has grown since then. Can they go up with the expansion?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Midwestindy

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Indy wrote:
Based on that pic the club clearly needs to be expanded. And consider how much Delta has grown since then. Can they go up with the expansion?

No idea what the circumstances of this photo were, it could have just been during IRROPS. However, DL has grown by 15% and by the end of the year that number will be even higher, so I think it is reasonable to assume they could expand it in the next few years.

I don't know how feasible it would be to expand upwards, however potentially expanding further towards the A side gates would be feasible. It really depends on what the airport has in place above and to the east of the club.

kindeham

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:02 pm

Anybody know why IND-CDG cancelled yesterday? Considering it was nearly a sell out and it being the day before Christmas Eve I can't imagine the strain that put on Delta. They are running an extra section today with about 100 people booked on it - so guessing those 100 ended up having to wait a night in Indy due to lack of alternatives.

Midwestindy

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:55 pm

kindeham wrote:
Anybody know why IND-CDG cancelled yesterday? Considering it was nearly a sell out and it being the day before Christmas Eve I can't imagine the strain that put on Delta. They are running an extra section today with about 100 people booked on it - so guessing those 100 ended up having to wait a night in Indy due to lack of alternatives.

Mentioned on another thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382633&start=950
"763ER-low J: IND-CDG flight cancelled - tech (N394DL)"

It looks like many of the passengers were rebooked through other airports, ex. IND-JFK is nearly sold out (selling for over $1,000), IND-DTW looks quite full considering only FC is left, one of the afternoon sections of IND-ATL is sold out, and IND-MSP is nearly sold out this afternoon,

kindeham

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

It looks like many of the passengers were rebooked through other airports, ex. IND-JFK is nearly sold out (selling for over $1,000), IND-DTW looks quite full considering only FC is left, one of the afternoon sections of IND-ATL is sold out, and IND-MSP is nearly sold out this afternoon,

IND-JFK, ATL and DTW are all overbooked the rest of the day. There are a few (like 4) seats left to MSP.

Midwestindy

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:24 pm

kindeham wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

IND-JFK, ATL and DTW are all overbooked the rest of the day. There are a few (like 4) seats left to MSP.

Yikes, maybe they could route them IND-CDG-JFK/ATL/DTW :spin:

indygs

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:34 am

Re: The SkyClub expansion, a couple agents I spoke with at DL IND earlier this year indicated that was in the cards but ultimately the decision was not to move forward, only refresh furniture and re-configure the food area which was done right before the IND-CDG flight launched.

Midwestindy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:39 pm

indygs wrote:
Re: The SkyClub expansion, a couple agents I spoke with at DL IND earlier this year indicated that was in the cards but ultimately the decision was not to move forward, only refresh furniture and re-configure the food area which was done right before the IND-CDG flight launched.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I guess that isn't too surprising as RDU's Sky Club is only 5,600-square-feet.

Midwestindy

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Just flew through IND, and looks like there has been great progress on the projects in Civic Plaza. The two directional towers are up(I had no idea they would almost touch the ceiling), and the display TVs in front of the entrance to both security checkpoints are in place as well.

Also I noticed UA is increasing IND-EWR to 7x daily starting in May, which should bring them up to 30 daily departures

floridaflyboy

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm

indygs wrote:

They've been back and forth on this. Last update I got was speaking to a DL Corporate Real Estate analyst who had been dispatched to IND to review options several weeks ago. Sounds like several corporate clients are very very unhappy with both the size and condition of the current SkyClub and a full refresh/expansion is back in the cards.

I will say, the layout is pretty poor and I frequently find the cleanliness to be quite lacking. In all honesty, the men's room (can't really speak to the women's) is the most filthy restroom in the entire airport. I will leave the club, use the restroom around the corner, and come back. I am not the only one who does so either. In addition, the facilities behind the scenes are apparently completely insufficient, from discussing with the staff. This is why the food offerings at IND are so much more limited than in many other clubs.

So, it sounds like some work beyone the furniture is in the cards. I sure hope they move forward with it this time.
Good goes around!

Midwestindy

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:49 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
indygs wrote:

They've been back and forth on this. Last update I got was speaking to a DL Corporate Real Estate analyst who had been dispatched to IND to review options several weeks ago. Sounds like several corporate clients are very very unhappy with both the size and condition of the current SkyClub and a full refresh/expansion is back in the cards.

I will say, the layout is pretty poor and I frequently find the cleanliness to be quite lacking. In all honesty, the men's room (can't really speak to the women's) is the most filthy restroom in the entire airport. I will leave the club, use the restroom around the corner, and come back. I am not the only one who does so either. In addition, the facilities behind the scenes are apparently completely insufficient, from discussing with the staff. This is why the food offerings at IND are so much more limited than in many other clubs.

So, it sounds like some work beyone the furniture is in the cards. I sure hope they move forward with it this time.

Agreed, the bathrooms are very much lacking compared to the rest of the airport

I just don't think there is much room for expansion, with Starbucks and TSA on both sides of the Sky Club

Btw, did the DL Corporate Real Estate analyst say anything about what DL planned to do with their current gate situation? With the new airline use agreement, they may change their gate strategy with how much excess they have

floridaflyboy

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:
indygs wrote:

I just don't think there is much room for expansion, with Starbucks and TSA on both sides of the Sky Club

Btw, did the DL Corporate Real Estate analyst say anything about what DL planned to do with their current gate situation? With the new airline use agreement, they may change their gate strategy with how much excess they have

His comment was that they are reviewing their entire lease footprint at IND, ranging from ticketing to back office to gates to Sky Club.

As far as the Sky Club is concerned, it is true that it is largely boxed in by SIDA access hallways, he indicated that there is some wiggle room and creative ideas being tossed around as far as expanding toward the concourse. He indicated that there is some unused space between the SkyClub and A Concourse in select small areas (perhaps between the club and Starbucks? My sense of measurement isn't that good). He also kind of hinted that it may be possible, albeit expensive, to shift the SIDA access slightly in order to gain some square footage. Reality is that there is a TON of unused space on the security checkpoint side. That darn SIDA hallway is the Achilles heel of any expansion project. Guess we'll see.

As to gates, he did not go into much detail. Just that they're reviewing everything. Going to be interesting.
Good goes around!

Midwestindy

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 pm

floridaflyboy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
floridaflyboy wrote:

His comment was that they are reviewing their entire lease footprint at IND, ranging from ticketing to back office to gates to Sky Club.

As far as the Sky Club is concerned, it is true that it is largely boxed in by SIDA access hallways, he indicated that there is some wiggle room and creative ideas being tossed around as far as expanding toward the concourse. He indicated that there is some unused space between the SkyClub and A Concourse in select small areas (perhaps between the club and Starbucks? My sense of measurement isn't that good). He also kind of hinted that it may be possible, albeit expensive, to shift the SIDA access slightly in order to gain some square footage. Reality is that there is a TON of unused space on the security checkpoint side. That darn SIDA hallway is the Achilles heel of any expansion project. Guess we'll see.

As to gates, he did not go into much detail. Just that they're reviewing everything. Going to be interesting.

Yep I remember going down that hallway before(albeit a while ago).

Any sort of project to expand the Sky Club appears like it could be very pricey, especially from a cost/benefit analysis

The A concourse security is very empty, especially since they shift all traffic over to B during peak days. As you mentioned, that could be one way they could expand the Sky Club. At the same time it may not be wise for the airport to take away some of the security checkpoint space, as that could be something they end up regretting down the road as traffic through A concourse increases.

Expanding out towards the north might be the most cost effective solution, as there would still be plenty of space for passengers to walk, but it might effect the aesthetic of the terminal.

Ultimately it might come up to what IAA wants, as they likely don’t want to box themselves in for the future.

Indy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:56 am

I know I have asked about going up, but what about going down?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Midwestindy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 am

Indy wrote:

IIRC there is a TSA baggage inspection office below, and the baggage system is in place as well below too, so probably not feasible to expand downwards.

floridaflyboy

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Indy wrote:

IIRC there is a TSA baggage inspection office below, and the baggage system is in place as well below too, so probably not feasible to expand downwards.

Lots of stuff below that can't be moved, unfortunately. I would love it if that were an option, though!
Good goes around!

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:32 pm

May looks to be an interesting month in terms of mainline aircraft for Delta.

For May IND-DTW will get a 757 daily, and in addition IND-ATL is now scheduled to have the 757 3x daily. Altogether 4 daily 757 departures plus the 5x weekly 767 to CDG. After 3pm, it looks like all DL departures will be mainline except from 5-6pm.

Should be interesting to see what the final summer schedule looks like.

flyboy80

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:07 pm

I was looking at April schedules in Passrider and noticed a lot of 220 (CS1) operating 'through' DFW and into DTW. I know the 220 is deployed on DFW initially out of the first base, NYC, so that makes sense. I wonder how long it will take before the 220 replaces some RJ frequencies through IND. Not sure there is enough demand for the upgauge with LGA, but perhaps one E70/75 frequency could be upgraded? Once the plane starts west-coast flying, perhaps we'll see an additional SLC flight on it.

Midwestindy

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:36 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
I was looking at April schedules in Passrider and noticed a lot of 220 (CS1) operating 'through' DFW and into DTW. I know the 220 is deployed on DFW initially out of the first base, NYC, so that makes sense. I wonder how long it will take before the 220 replaces some RJ frequencies through IND. Not sure there is enough demand for the upgauge with LGA, but perhaps one E70/75 frequency could be upgraded? Once the plane starts west-coast flying, perhaps we'll see an additional SLC flight on it.

It may take a bit of time for the A220 to make its rounds, basically all the flying announced so far has been to and from Texas, with the exception of 1r/t on LGA-BOS and 2r/t on SEA-SJC. So I'm not getting a feeling we will see the A220 in IND until 2020, especially since they haven't scheduled any A220 flights from LAX and only a few from BOS/SEA.

The IND-NYC loads were in the 80s during the summer, but with WN leaving the market, the loads will likely go up and potentially warrant mainline service.

An extra IND-SLC turn seems very likely by at least the summer of 2020, as loads have consistently 90%+ from May-September even with larger and larger equipment.

jplatts

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
The IND-NYC loads were in the 80s during the summer, but with WN leaving the market, the loads will likely go up and potentially warrant mainline service.

One reason why WN struggles on IND-NYC is that many travelers in the NYC market prefer to fly on US3 carriers or B6. WN also has more market share at most of the other destinations that have nonstop service out of IND on WN.

Jake1993P

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:29 pm

I flew out of IND on Christmas Day and walked around the terminal with extra time. I know I've read this on here before, but wanted to bring it up again. The WN end of B seems very congested when they have multiple flights going out at the same time. From 5:30-6 PM I think I remember 4 or 5 flights departing. Seems like something will have to be done about this eventually, especially as they continue to push more 738s through IND forcing even more passengers into an already too small waiting area. The same space works well for UA in A, but they're running small RJs out of the same space WN is putting all 737s out of. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Midwestindy

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Jake1993P wrote:
I flew out of IND on Christmas Day and walked around the terminal with extra time. I know I've read this on here before, but wanted to bring it up again. The WN end of B seems very congested when they have multiple flights going out at the same time. From 5:30-6 PM I think I remember 4 or 5 flights departing. Seems like something will have to be done about this eventually, especially as they continue to push more 738s through IND forcing even more passengers into an already too small waiting area. The same space works well for UA in A, but they're running small RJs out of the same space WN is putting all 737s out of. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Yep you are very much right, I don't think that part of the concourse was designed for large narrowbody aircraft. The airport recently upgraded the seating areas, which took out some of the seating (which doesn't help). I was flying AA out of IND a few days ago as well and the concourse was basically standing room only because AA has around 5-8 departures from 5-6pm and almost all the AA flights ended up being delayed, which caused the concourse to be quite congested.

With WN running fewer flights, it may be less of a problem though, as they have spread out their schedule a bit. But, for Summer '19 they are scheduling a few more banks though, so we could see more congestion moving forward.

I am not sure how much they could do to help this issue other than ask WN to spread out their departures, which they probably won't do since the timings allow for more connecting passengers.

Midwestindy

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

One reason why WN struggles on IND-NYC is that many travelers in the NYC market prefer to fly on US3 carriers or B6. WN also has more market share at most of the other destinations that have nonstop service out of IND on WN.

Or that WN does terribly on any business routes out of IND, unless a large WN station is on the other end.

stlgph

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:31 am

Jake1993P wrote:

I've never really had a problem with it. I think the only people it's really not that pleasant for is the Starbucks employees at that time - on the days when everyone wants a frapp, they get their asses handed to them.

I know Southwest does crew swapping at IND, all the more reason to keep a number of flights coming in at the same time.

Concierge

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am

Many thanks to all of you who are wonderfully obsessed with IND - my hometown airport. I wait for each post and will continue with you in the future. Happy New Year!

Midwestindy

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:15 am

Concierge wrote:
Many thanks to all of you who are wonderfully obsessed with IND - my hometown airport. I wait for each post and will continue with you in the future. Happy New Year!

Welcome! Happy New Year to all the IND people!

indygs

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Here's to new routes, upgauges, more awards and continued great service in 2019! All my best to you and yours!

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:44 am

Continue in next year's thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411861

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos