FA9295

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 am

N174UA wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
After ending the season earlier than originally planned this year, it appears Icelandair is renewing its commitment to Portland. Next year’s KEF-PDX season begins 14 March operating 2x/week, goes to 3x/week beginning 7 April, 4x/week on 19 May, increases to 5x/week on 11 June, and 6x/week beginning 17 June. Season runs at least through 8 December.

Any mention of them eventually going daily year round, and upguaging the aircraft on the route?

What about Condor...are they coming back for PDX-FRA? Sure would be nice to see LH back in PDX!

I'm glad to see PDX-LHR is coming back with DL, hopefully one day that can go daily year round as well.

PDX-FRA is coming back, will start on June 7th and end on September 27th. It's currently set to be 4x weekly.

FA9295

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm

OAG 12/16/2018:
AA CLT-PDX APR 2.0>0.9[1.0]
AA DFW-PDX APR 5>4[4]
AA ORD-PDX APR 2.0>1.0[1.0]
**AS ATL-PDX JUN 0.7>0[0.8] JUL 0.8>0[0.9] AUG 0.7>0[0.1]
DL LAX-PDX JUL 5>6[5] AUG 5>6[5]

AA LAX-RDM APR 1.0>1.7[1.0]

Notes:
- AS drops PDX-ATL completely. Not too surprised, as this seemed like quite a weird one for them to continue flying. Competition with Delta to ATL, their largest hub didn't really seem like a great idea for Alaska at all.
- AA reduces DFW, ORD, and CLT (yet again). AA has pushed back the second CLT flight several times now.
- DL adds an LAX flight.
- AA increases LAX-RDM, likely in response to UA's operation on that route.
**It's been quite interesting to see AA and UA battle it out on LAX to MFR, RDM and EUG.

jbpdx

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:39 pm

FA9295 wrote:
PDX-FRA is coming back, will start on June 7th and end on September 27th. It's currently set to be 4x weekly.

That’s a reduction. They increased in October this year and had a 90% LF.

Re: AS PDX-ATL, I thought that was gone along time ago.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, MEX, CUN; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

BlatantEcho

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:53 am

Booked a couple more international trips this week... really hard in the winter to use the PDX-AMS for Europe stuff...

Prices were crazy expensive for business class. And one flight a day doesn't give me as many options as I was ok with in the past.
Summer is a bit easier with the LHR and even the FRA non-stop to fall back on.
Jan - March is just slim slim pickings for us.... I wanted to use the AMS flight as normal, but pricing was 3x everyone else.

So, in the next two months... doing:
PDX-SFO-FRA on United(!)
DUS-LHR-SEA on BA
PDX-SEA-LHR on Virgin Atlantic
OSL-AMS-PDX on DL

Delta missed out on a chunk of money there, and for the love of god, is our city not big enough yet for some winter non-stops too?
About to booked PDX-SEA-PEK, PDX-YVR-HKG, can't even connect PDX-NRT-XXX anymore on Delta.

*grrrrrrrr

N174UA

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
Booked a couple more international trips this week... really hard in the winter to use the PDX-AMS for Europe stuff...

Prices were crazy expensive for business class. And one flight a day doesn't give me as many options as I was ok with in the past.
Jan - March is just slim slim pickings for us.... I wanted to use the AMS flight as normal, but pricing was 3x everyone else.

PDX-SFO-FRA on United(!)
DUS-LHR-SEA on BA
OSL-AMS-PDX on DL

Delta missed out on a chunk of money there, and for the love of god, is our city not big enough yet for some winter non-stops too?
About to booked PDX-SEA-PEK, PDX-YVR-HKG, can't even connect PDX-NRT-XXX anymore on Delta.

*grrrrrrrr

Seems to me that PoP is more interested in getting airlines like Sun Country than actively pursuing additional foreign airlines to make a long-term commitment to PDX, beyond the initial 5-year incentive honeymoon period.

At one point not too long ago, someone had posted on here about an unnamed Chinese airline interested in starting up PEK-PDX. But, with the trade relations situation with China as they are now, I don't see that happening anytime soon. With the strong DL/Skyteam customer base in Portland, any additional expansion into Asia will be on DL metal, via ICN. Short of that, it's connecting via SFO on UA to Asia or up to SEA.

As for winter non-stops to Europe, the most logical carrier to offer a more budget-friendly option for Portlanders would eventually be Icelandair.

The Portland metro area simply does not have a large enough corporate headquarter base to anchor a consistent (and profitable) customer base to support daily non-stop service to more international destinations. And leisure travelers are very seasonal in Portland...not too many people want to leave Portland weather in the winter to experience the same kind of weather (or worse) in Europe. It's Hawaii, California, Mexico, Las Vegas, etc. for the warm weather getaway.

FA9295

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 am

jbpdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

That’s a reduction. They increased in October this year and had a 90% LF.

Re: AS PDX-ATL, I thought that was gone along time ago.

I think I read somewhere that Condor has reduced flights all across their route network for maintenance on their 767s. I wish Lufthansa would come back, but they seem to rely heavily on business traffic, which PDX seems to be unable to generate--likely why they stopped their PDX-FRA route.

Alaska's PDX-ATL has some history to it. Several years back, they ended the flight, then resumed it as a summer seasonal red-eye flight, and now it's gone yet again.

lhpdx

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 pm

CC-B construction information update:

As part of TCORE, we’re modifying and expanding Concourse B and then, once
complete, closing Concourse A. Construction on Concourse B and the subsequent
closure of Concourse A is slated to begin in February 2019 and wrap up in the summer
of 2021, before work on the terminal core begins.
One of the tricky parts of this project is figuring out how to get passengers to Concourse
A when Concourse B is a construction zone. This effort also requires close coordination
with TriMet due to the location of the Airport MAX Station on the northern edge of
Concourse B. This project is tentatively scheduled for PDX CAC review in January

pnwpdx

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

PDX-SFO-FRA on United(!)
DUS-LHR-SEA on BA
OSL-AMS-PDX on DL

*grrrrrrrr

I understand where you are coming from! Recently took a flight to Europe, PDX-ATL-FCO. And currently waiting at JFK (MXP-JFK-PDX). Would have loved to jump on that AMS flight, but it is just way too expensive! If LHR continues to do well, maybe we get them year round also or even get CDG for the winter to compliment AMS as another option. Just dreaming over here.... :)
Next Flight:
PDX-SEA-PHX-LAX-PDX on DL

717atOGG

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:09 pm

UA announced ORD-EUG/RDM today, on E175 equipment. EUG is year-round, RDM is seasonal, and both will be daily and will start on June 6, 2019.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-or ... l-flights/
Long live the Boeing 757!

PDX757

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 pm

717atOGG wrote:
UA announced ORD-EUG/RDM today, on E175 equipment. EUG is year-round, RDM is seasonal, and both will be daily and will start on June 6, 2019.

These are the first commercial flights east of the Mississippi for both airports, no?

FA9295

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:07 pm

PDX757 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

These are the first commercial flights east of the Mississippi for both airports, no?

I think so.

I thought that AA to DFW would have come first, but this is welcomed surprise! Too bad MFR got left out.

bigfoot0503

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:14 pm

717atOGG wrote:

Excellent news for both airports! The Eugene/Springfield area continues to experience positive growth, particularly associated with the University of Oregon and the many projects that are changing the landscape of that campus. Certainly anyone who lives in Oregon can attest that the Bend/Redmond area is witnessing unprecedented growth...frequently being listed as one of the fastest growing urban areas in the US.

Aloha717200

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:37 pm

717atOGG wrote:

This is fantastic news, especially for RDM! I'm really happy to see my favorite little airport grow. :)

RWA380

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 pm

PDX757 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

Yup, when AA served EUG in the mid to late 80's, the flights all stopped in PDX before going on to ORD & DFW, firstly on 727-100's then to M80's.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

flyoregon

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:53 pm

717atOGG wrote:

It's about time! I thought Delta would have gotten in on an MSP-EUG routing before, but maybe this will encourage them to give it a try. Surprised RDM over MFR, but then again, RDM isn't what it use to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see mainline United there in the next several years.

BlatantEcho

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 am

Awesome news for EUG! I'd done the EUG-DEN a couple times when I was in school, but, I think ORD will open up new markets and timings.
Very cool to see.

metaldirtnskin

Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:06 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

Excellent news for both airports! The Eugene/Springfield area continues to experience positive growth, particularly associated with the University of Oregon and the many projects that are changing the landscape of that campus. Certainly anyone who lives in Oregon can attest that the Bend/Redmond area is witnessing unprecedented growth...frequently being listed as one of the fastest growing urban areas in the US.

It is indeed great news for both. I had been wondering how long it would take before EUG got a non-stop to a hub east of the Rockies, and the growth in Bend is noticeable as well (my wife is there for business as I write this).

Having said that, it's times like these that I question my decision to be an AS loyalist. EUG has been growing about 10% year-over-year - guessing RDM and MFR are similar, having not seen numbers - and AS has just rolled over and let UA and others give them the clobbering they (I am sorry to say) richly deserve. This year I need a mileage run to hit elite status with AS, and if they don't step it up after 2019 that'll probably be the end of that.

pdxav8r

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:47 am

metaldirtnskin wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

It is indeed great news for both. I had been wondering how long it would take before EUG got a non-stop to a hub east of the Rockies, and the growth in Bend is noticeable as well (my wife is there for business as I write this).

Having said that, it's times like these that I question my decision to be an AS loyalist. EUG has been growing about 10% year-over-year - guessing RDM and MFR are similar, having not seen numbers - and AS has just rolled over and let UA and others give them the clobbering they (I am sorry to say) richly deserve. This year I need a mileage run to hit elite status with AS, and if they don't step it up after 2019 that'll probably be the end of that.

Think the N/S is great for EUG, and if you live there, I get your loyalty concerns with AS (having to connect through PDX or SEA on a handful of flights east, or double connecting to an AA flight), versus many options of one-stop worldwide on UA via SFO, ORD or DEN (though, SEA has many through code-share internationally on AS) I would think if you fly to the eastern US often enough, and need plenty of options, AS wouldn’t be optimum.

MatthewDB

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am

717atOGG wrote:

Cool! Back in the early aughts I did quite a few EUG-DEN trips on UA. The CRJ is a bit tight to go that far. EUG-SLC was about all I liked before it was too much time that cramped. I've recently taken a few E175 flights and they don't seem as cramped.

flyoregon wrote:

It's about time! I thought Delta would have gotten in on an MSP-EUG routing before, but maybe this will encourage them to give it a try. Surprised RDM over MFR, but then again, RDM isn't what it use to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see mainline United there in the next several years.

I've never gone through MSP. If that came to fruition, I'd have to give it a try. I try to stick to PDX-AMS because I detest most of the options available to us for connections in the US. The bonus of going to EUG would sway me to try it at least once.

jbpdx

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Not sure if this was announced earlier but AS has added Saturday to PDX-PVR starting 13 January, making it 4x/week. It had been 3x/week alternating with 4x/week PDX-SJD.

Also, in another thread PDX is running ahead of TPA in year-to-date passenger traffic and has moved up to No. 28 among U.S. airports from No. 30 last year. Probably won’t hold as Nov/Dec are big Florida tourism months.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, MEX, CUN; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

FA9295

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:34 pm

AS is going 3x daily on PDX-DAL starting August 27th, 2019. Including the DFW flight, PDX-Dallas is at 4x daily on AS: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/m/0 ... 1;t:f;tt:o

PDX757

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:25 pm

FA9295 wrote:
PDX757 wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

I think so.

I thought that AA to DFW would have come first, but this is welcomed surprise! Too bad MFR got left out.

At the rate UA has been growing secondary airports in the PNW, I’d be surprised if MFR didn’t have a year round N/S to ORD by this time next year, barring any economic slowdown.

jbpdx

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:38 pm

PDX Portland International Airport
November 2018 Traffic

(compared with November 2017)
Total: 1,595,521. +4.4%
Domestic: 1,537,803. +3.3%
International: 57,718. +43.9%

Year to date: 18,281,928 +4.4%

Cathay Pacific Cargo
581 tons +21.3%

flyoregon

Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:22 pm

jbpdx wrote:
November 2018 Traffic

Cathay Pacific Cargo
581 tons +21.3%

That's an impressive jump in international...especially considering there is no FI November 2018 whereas last year there was. Surely that data is convincing enough for an additional International-route year-round.

jbpdx

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:17 pm

flyoregon wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
November 2018 Traffic

Cathay Pacific Cargo
581 tons +21.3%

That's an impressive jump in international...especially considering there is no FI November 2018 whereas last year there was. Surely that data is convincing enough for an additional International-route year-round.

I think most of that is due to AS to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta starting in November instead of previous December, and maybe one extra Volaris r/t /week to Guadalajara. It didn’t include AM PDX-MEX, which started on 1 Dec 2017.

pnwpdx

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:59 pm

jbpdx wrote:
November 2018 Traffic

Cathay Pacific Cargo
581 tons +21.3%

This is great news for PDX! The Port recently published an article regarding holiday travels and they project the numbers to be at 19.9 million passengers for 2018. (almost to 20!!)
Next Flight:

jbpdx

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:58 pm

pnwpdx wrote:

This is great news for PDX! The Port recently published an article regarding holiday travels and they project the numbers to be at 19.9 million passengers for 2018. (almost to 20!!)

I have it coming up about 50,000 short. If JetBlue hadn’t cut the second LGB flight and Icelandair hadn’t ended the season early, it would have hit 20 million.

flaps30 wrote:
I guess there are not enough Antifa thugs and anarchists in Portland to sustain year round flights.

It’s too hot and humid in coastal Mexico in the summer. And besides, a lot of us antifa have to stay home to keep a thumb on the deplorable fascist MAGAts who come in town to stir up trouble.

metaldirtnskin

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Local paper just posted some pics from EUG circa 1967:
https://www.registerguard.com/photogall ... 09999/PH/1

pdxav8r

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:16 am

jbpdx wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

I have it coming up about 50,000 short. If JetBlue hadn’t cut the second LGB flight and Icelandair hadn’t ended the season early, it would have hit 20 million.

flaps30 wrote:
I guess there are not enough Antifa thugs and anarchists in Portland to sustain year round flights.

It’s too hot and humid in coastal Mexico in the summer. And besides, a lot of us antifa have to stay home to keep a thumb on the deplorable fascist MAGAts who come in town to stir up trouble.

Enough with the political BS. Take it somewhere else. This is an aviation website.

pdxav8r

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:41 am

metaldirtnskin wrote:
Local paper just posted some pics from EUG circa 1967:
https://www.registerguard.com/photogall ... 09999/PH/1

That was awesome! Thank you, good find.

There were times when EUG saw a lot more flights on Hughes Air West, than PDX did.

FA9295

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:34 pm

OAG 12/23/2018:
AS DAL-PDX SEP 1.0>3[1.0]
New planning leadership at AS doesn't seem to like PDX very much (that was enrilia's comment, not mine)
**AS MKE-PDX JUN 0.8>0[0.6] JUL 1.0>0[1.0] AUG 0.8>0[0.8]
AS ORD-PDX JUN 1.0>1.8[1.0] JUL 1.0>2[1.0] AUG 1.2>2.0[1.2]
AS PDX-RNO JUN 3>4[3] JUL 3>4[3] AUG 3>4[3]

DE FRA-PDX JUN 0.4>0.6[0.4]

F9 DEN-PDX AUG 0.5>1.6[1.8] SEP 0>1.6[1.7]

SY LAS-PDX JUN 0.1>0.6[0] JUL 0>0.5[0] AUG 0>0.6[0] SEP 0>0.6[0]
SY MSP-PDX JUN 0.1>1.0[1.2] JUL 0>1.0[1.6] AUG 0>1.0[1.4] SEP 0>1.0[0.9]
SY PDX-SFO JUN 0.0>0.5[0] JUL 0>0.5[0] AUG 0>0.6[0] SEP 0>0.6[0]

DL MFR-SEA MAY 2>3[1.0] JUN 2>3[1.8] JUL 2>3[2] AUG 2>3[2] SEP 2>3[2]

*UA EUG-ORD JUN 0>0.8[0] JUL 0>1.0[0] AUG 0>1.0[0] SEP 0>1.0[0]
*UA ORD-RDM JUN 0>0.8[0] JUL 0>1.0[0] AUG 0>1.0[0] SEP 0>1.0[0]

Notes:
- AS increases DAL flights.
- AS is dropping PDX-MKE, but I wouldn't really read into that too much--since their extending their second daily PDX-ORD route, which is just a stone's throw away from MKE.
*I was planning on flying PDX-MKE next summer. Oh well. Will just have to connect via elsewhere.
- AS adds a PDX-RNO frequency.
- DE increases PDX-FRA. Although not highlighted in this report, they are also bringing back their May schedule. The overall flight will be 2x weekly starting on May 5th, jumping to 5x weekly through September 27th.
- F9 schedule extended; AUS and CLE still aren't showing up, so I think it's safe to say that these two routes have been dropped.
- SY schedule extension.
- DL adds a SEA-MFR frequency.
- UA adds ORD-EUG and ORD-RDM.

ANA787

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:02 pm

FA9295 wrote:
OAG 12/23/2018:
DE FRA-PDX JUN 0.4>0.6[0.4]

- DE increases PDX-FRA. Although not highlighted in this report, they are also bringing back their May schedule. The overall flight will be 2x weekly starting on May 5th, jumping to 5x weekly through September 27th.

PDX has shown consistent growth to Europe in recent years, and im excited for what the future has in store for this market.
Not surprising the increase in DE flights to 5x/week, PDX-FRA LFs have consistently been in the high 90s during summer. Could we see DE go year round on PDX-FRA like they did recently with SEA-FRA? Wonder if LH will take notice and relaunch PDX-FRA? In the case of SAN and AUS, LH took notice of DE's high LFs and subsequently launched their own flights. A relaunch of LH PDX-FRA would probably come at the expense of DE.

Next summer 2019 PDX:
PDX-LHR 1x daily (increase from 4x/ week)
PDX-KEF 6x/week
PDX-AMS 1x daily
PDX-FRA 5x/week (increase from 4x/week)
Overall increase of 4 wide bodies per week nonstop to Europe for an additional ~1000 seats per week nonstop to Europe.

With the healthy growth to Europe in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me to see additional Europe routes in the future such as:
PDX-LHR on BA
PDX-CDG on AF or DL
PDX-DUB on EI--new AS partner, EI having huge success with their newly launched SEA service-operate PDX-DUB on the SEA off days? Intel tech traffic between PDX and DUB would utilize this heavily. Anyone have the passenger numbers PDX-Dublin?
PDX-FRA on LH

Dreamflight767

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:06 pm

I still can't believe all the adds UA has but they can't make PDX-LAX work.

pdxav8r

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Dreamflight767 wrote:
I still can't believe all the adds UA has but they can't make PDX-LAX work.

Probably the same reason AS doesn’t do PDX-DEN. Over saturated.

BlatantEcho

Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:24 am

I emailed the port of portland today, begging for a PDX-ICN flight on Korean or Delta.

Europe gets the love (and, yeah, I'm sure 3x the travelers).... but Asia is tough now.

I mentioned a few posts ago, I booked a PDX-SEA-PEK... because the NRT flight doesn't connect to PEK anymore.
I'm now looking at a PDX-SEA-ICN-XXX routing... just drives me crazy.

If we had non-stop to Seoul, we'd be set. Just, totally covered. One stop to almost anywhere in Asia.
Come on POP, we need you to come through in 2019/2020!

FA9295

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:34 am

BlatantEcho wrote:
I emailed the port of portland today, begging for a PDX-ICN flight on Korean or Delta.

Europe gets the love (and, yeah, I'm sure 3x the travelers).... but Asia is tough now.

I mentioned a few posts ago, I booked a PDX-SEA-PEK... because the NRT flight doesn't connect to PEK anymore.

If we had non-stop to Seoul, we'd be set. Just, totally covered. One stop to almost anywhere in Asia.

Let us know if/when you get a response from them... :D

babcock

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:18 am

jbpdx wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

I have it coming up about 50,000 short. If JetBlue hadn’t cut the second LGB flight and Icelandair hadn’t ended the season early, it would have hit 20 million..

I really doubt 50,000 people stayed home because they couldn't fly JetBlue to LGB or Icelandair during the off-season.

babcock

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:22 am

FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

A non-stop to PEK should be priority #1. My company sends people all the time to visit suppliers in China. The Delta flight to Tokyo doesn't work for connections. So it's up to Seattle or down to SFO/LAX to get to China. We don't need more flights to Europe, we need just one more flight to Asia.

FA9295

Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:58 am

babcock wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

A non-stop to PEK should be priority #1. My company sends people all the time to visit suppliers in China. The Delta flight to Tokyo doesn't work for connections. So it's up to Seattle or down to SFO/LAX to get to China. We don't need more flights to Europe, we need just one more flight to Asia.

In terms of O&D traffic, I think a flight to PEK would be more useful than ICN. However, if Delta/Korean were to start PDX-ICN, that would open up the door for lots of one-stop connections to cities in Asia via ICN through their JV parntership.

Also, the only airline that would start PDX-PEK would be Hainan (Air China is very unlikely), and like most airlines in Asia, they tend to be ultra-conservative with their choices of routes to fly.

pnwpdx

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:40 pm

FA9295 wrote:
babcock wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

In terms of O&D traffic, I think a flight to PEK would be more useful than ICN. However, if Delta/Korean were to start PDX-ICN, that would open up the door for lots of one-stop connections to cities in Asia via ICN through their JV parntership.

Also, the only airline that would start PDX-PEK would be Hainan (Air China is very unlikely), and like most airlines in Asia, they tend to be ultra-conservative with their choices of routes to fly.

I was just having a conversation about this with my cousin yesterday. We both have done some traveling the past few years and what we have noticed an increase in seeing Chinese tourists where we go.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do get an ICN flight, but wouldn't be surprised if we got a PDX-China flight also. (either or)
Maybe these articles aren't related to our ability to support or gain a PDX-China flight, but I'm sure it will have some sort of influence.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/chines ... ing-travel
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/china- ... on-by-2030

Also, I don't think we will lose a TYO flight in the future. If Delta does decide to drop the route, someone else will pick it back up real fast. It'll be a matter or who.
As we continue to see more Japanese stores in Portland, there will always be tourism from both TYO-PDX. https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtow ... ld-theatre
MUJI recently opened up a store in downtown Portland.

As far as flights to Europe, like someone has mentioned above already, I'd want more options during the winter months. Maybe adding CDG. :)
Next Flight:

jplatts

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:43 pm

The top domestic destinations traveled to from PDX that aren't currently served nonstop from PDX include FLL, IND, MIA, BNA, MSY, RDU, and TPA, and AS could add PDX-FLL, PDX-IND, PDX-BNA, PDX-MSY, PDX-RDU, and PDX-TPA nonstop service.

In addition, AS is already at IAD with nonstop service to SEA, SFO, and LAX, and AS could also add PDX-IAD nonstop service.

FA9295

Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:28 pm

jplatts wrote:
The top domestic destinations traveled to from PDX that aren't currently served nonstop from PDX include FLL, IND, MIA, BNA, MSY, RDU, and TPA, and AS could add PDX-FLL, PDX-IND, PDX-BNA, PDX-MSY, PDX-RDU, and PDX-TPA nonstop service.

In addition, AS is already at IAD with nonstop service to SEA, SFO, and LAX, and AS could also add PDX-IAD nonstop service.

I'm actually in the process of making a spreadsheet with some of the PDEW numbers from 2017 from some of the markets that you've listed above. I'll post some stats here when that's finished.

I doubt AS is gonna add anything new at PDX for quite awhile, but if they do anything, I suspect PDX-IAD and PDX-IAH would be high contenders. PDX-DEN is another one, but as was mentioned earlier, that's already a very saturated route with three other airlines (WN, F9, UA) already on the route. While AS may attract a decent traffic flow on that route, they would ultimately be stuck in a price war with the other three airlines.

bigfoot0503

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:59 am

pnwpdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
babcock wrote:

I was just having a conversation about this with my cousin yesterday. We both have done some traveling the past few years and what we have noticed an increase in seeing Chinese tourists where we go.

I wouldn't be surprised if we do get an ICN flight, but wouldn't be surprised if we got a PDX-China flight also. (either or)
Maybe these articles aren't related to our ability to support or gain a PDX-China flight, but I'm sure it will have some sort of influence.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/chines ... ing-travel
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/china- ... on-by-2030

Also, I don't think we will lose a TYO flight in the future. If Delta does decide to drop the route, someone else will pick it back up real fast. It'll be a matter or who.
As we continue to see more Japanese stores in Portland, there will always be tourism from both TYO-PDX. https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtow ... ld-theatre
MUJI recently opened up a store in downtown Portland.

As far as flights to Europe, like someone has mentioned above already, I'd want more options during the winter months. Maybe adding CDG. :)

I just concluded a week stay in Tokyo (I'm presently in Malaysia). I took Delta 69 non-stop from PDX to Narita. The flight was completely full and one interesting note was that the flight was actually staffed with all Portland based flight attendants. The other interesting note was that I met so many Japanese citizens who all told me that they knew someone or had themselves traveled to Portland and that they absolutely love Portland. There is even a craft beer bar in Tokyo called the PDX Taproom (Oregon themes throughout, featuring Oregon craft beer)!

toobz

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:24 pm

PDX based flight crews only fly AMS and NRT.

pnwpdx

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:52 pm

toobz wrote:
PDX based flight crews only fly AMS and NRT.

I was on the DL JFK-PDX flight last week and it was a Portland based crew.
Next Flight:

toobz

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Wow! I’m really curious about that. Maybe they are doing some domestics in between now! Certainly has not always been the case.

UnitedFlyer

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:40 am

https://ktvl.com/news/local/rogue-valle ... 00th-flyer

MFR hits 1 million passengers for 2018.

TransWorldOne

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:27 am

toobz wrote:
Wow! I’m really curious about that. Maybe they are doing some domestics in between now! Certainly has not always been the case.

In the winter, when AMS and NRT don't operate daily, PDX crews are given a couple of domestic trips. Usually JFK or ATL turns, sometimes DTW. Also, when LHR starts, about 50 flight attendants are let into PDX from other bases on a temporary transfer to support that flight while it operates.

FA9295

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:27 pm

OAG 12/30/2018:
DL LAX-PDX SEP 5>6[5]
**SY HNL-PDX MAY 0>0.3[0] JUN 0>0.3[0] JUL 0>0.3[0]
DL RDM-SEA JUN 2>3[2] JUL 2>3[2] AUG 2>3[2] SEP 2>3[2]

Notes:
- DL extends it's recently added (6th) PDX-LAX frequency into September.
- SY extends it's PDX-HNL schedule into the summer.
- DL adds a SEA-RDM frequency.

jbpdx

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 pm

It’s hard to keep up with Frontier so not sure if this was mentioned before, but it looks like summer seasonal PDX-CLE is gone.

Meanwhile, from Nashville Tennessean, Sept. 14, 2018:
“Every quarter, airport officials hold meetings with airline representatives and discuss which cities have the most traffic coming to and from Nashville, but without direct flights. ...
Here's the short list of destinations without direct flights that Nashville officials are targeting for service.”

1. Portland
2. Fort Myers (service begins in November with Sun Country Airlines; Southwest Airlines provides service seasonally)
3. Sacramento
4. Orange County, Calif.
5. Hartford

I’d bet on Sun Country.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos