FA9295

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 pm

jbpdx wrote:
It’s hard to keep up with Frontier so not sure if this was mentioned before, but it looks like summer seasonal PDX-CLE is gone.

Meanwhile, from Nashville Tennessean, Sept. 14, 2018:
“Every quarter, airport officials hold meetings with airline representatives and discuss which cities have the most traffic coming to and from Nashville, but without direct flights. ...
Here's the short list of destinations without direct flights that Nashville officials are targeting for service.”

1. Portland
2. Fort Myers (service begins in November with Sun Country Airlines; Southwest Airlines provides service seasonally)
3. Sacramento
4. Orange County, Calif.
5. Hartford

I’d bet on Sun Country.

It's a shame that PDX-CLE is gone, although the timings of that flight were a bit odd. Their PDX-AUS flight is also gone as well. Honestly though, I'd probably rather connect in DEN/United or SLC/Delta to CLE and arrive there at a decent hour rather than taking a nonstop flight that arrived in CLE just after 4 AM.

I don't see Sun Country adding PDX-BNA. Their PDX operation is mostly to destinations that are very popular, and to see them going out on a whim to launch that route doesn't really seem up their ally. They did try PDX-MCO, but that didn't work out (at least, I don't think it'll be coming back in 2019).

Best bet is summer seasonal on Alaska. I initially thought that Southwest would add it sometime, but they seem to be limiting their PDX operation to mostly California, LAS, PHX and DEN; not to mention that they recently reduced their summer seasonal SEA-BNA flight to just Sat/Sun only. If they can't fly daily on SEA-BNA, then PDX-BNA is pretty much out of the question for them. I still don't understand why PDX-BWI is reduced to just summer Sat/Sun only. I understand them cutting ABQ and AUS since Alaska operates those routes year-round already, but I think that Southwest could easily steal customers off of Alaska's flight and potentially give them a run for their money.

jplatts

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:55 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Best bet is summer seasonal on Alaska. I initially thought that Southwest would add it sometime, but they seem to be limiting their PDX operation to mostly California, LAS, PHX and DEN; not to mention that they recently reduced their summer seasonal SEA-BNA flight to just Sat/Sun only. If they can't fly daily on SEA-BNA, then PDX-BNA is pretty much out of the question for them. I still don't understand why PDX-BWI is reduced to just summer Sat/Sun only. I understand them cutting ABQ and AUS since Alaska operates those routes year-round already, but I think that Southwest could easily steal customers off of Alaska's flight and potentially give them a run for their money.

In addition to California, LAS, PHX, and DEN, WN also serves DAL, STL, and MDW nonstop from PDX, and WN also has seasonal nonstop service to HOU and MCI from PDX.

While there are a few WN destinations in the Northeast such as ROC, ISP, and PWM that don't have daily nonstop service to DEN, STL, or MDW on WN, WN can connect passengers to most of its destinations in the Northeast from PDX through DEN, STL, or MDW. In addition, those traveling to Long Island from PDX can also fly into JFK instead of ISP, and JFK is also already served nonstop from PDX on AS, DL, and B6. Those traveling to ROC or PWM from PDX can also connect to ROC or PWM through ORD or DTW on one of the US3 carriers.

midway7

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Hopefully SW picks up PDX to BNA. It would have good connections at BNA for points east and southeast.....

Remind me - is PDX to MCI coming back on anyone. With the loss of the nonstops, fares have really shot up. Was looking in May, and had to choose STL instead.

toobz

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Ahh makes sense! Thanks for the explanation Transworld

BigGSFO

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:45 pm

Curious if AS joins oneworld (as speculated in another thread) if that will change the dynamic of international service in/out of PDX. The base of frequent fliers and potential corporate contracts could entice airlines like BA and JL to PDX, possibly pushing DL off of London and Tokyo respectively. If that were the case though, I could see DL simply adding ICN and CDG.

jbpdx

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:18 pm

midway7 wrote:
Hopefully SW picks up PDX to BNA. It would have good connections at BNA for points east and southeast.....

Remind me - is PDX to MCI coming back on anyone. With the loss of the nonstops, fares have really shot up. Was looking in May, and had to choose STL instead.

Southwest suspends 6 April and resumes 9 June. Alaska restarts 16 May. So there are no PDX-MCI nonstops for about 5 weeks in April/May. Makes no sense.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, MEX, CUN; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

cschleic

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:22 pm

flyoregon wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
UA announced ORD-EUG/RDM today, on E175 equipment. EUG is year-round, RDM is seasonal, and both will be daily and will start on June 6, 2019.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-or ... l-flights/

It's about time! I thought Delta would have gotten in on an MSP-EUG routing before, but maybe this will encourage them to give it a try. Surprised RDM over MFR, but then again, RDM isn't what it use to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see mainline United there in the next several years.

Yes, they're great additions, particularly for EUG connection options. But note that both eastbound flights are red-eyes. A red-eye out of RDM...interesting concept.

RWA380

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 am

cschleic wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
717atOGG wrote:
UA announced ORD-EUG/RDM today, on E175 equipment. EUG is year-round, RDM is seasonal, and both will be daily and will start on June 6, 2019.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-or ... l-flights/

It's about time! I thought Delta would have gotten in on an MSP-EUG routing before, but maybe this will encourage them to give it a try. Surprised RDM over MFR, but then again, RDM isn't what it use to be. Wouldn't be surprised to see mainline United there in the next several years.

Yes, they're great additions, particularly for EUG connection options. But note that both eastbound flights are red-eyes. A red-eye out of RDM...interesting concept.

I am sure, it's the latest scheduled departure, ever, for that awesome little airport I love to fly in/out of. I expect as fast as that region is growing, it won't be the last & only red-eye. I can see some more adds as that area grows, it serves a large region, albeit mostly sparsely populated.

Best 2019 to all that spend time in this thread & may the new year bring a feeling of inclusion here & elsewhere. May everyone let anything negative behind in 2018. Here is to new friendships & a new passenger record at all Oregon airports with new adds & upgauges for all. Peace to you all.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 am

Please continue in next year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411843

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos