PR77W

Re: Philippine Aviation Thread 2018

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 am

azyazy wrote:
If the ASA would allow it. I'm not sure how many seats are currently utilized by PH carriers. 5J also flies to SYD daily.

I look through online and even read the ASA agreement online to find any specific mention of the number of allowed weekly seats between PH and AU, I found in this news blog that mention 10,700 weekly seats which is until March 2019. So potentially they may potentially expand the amount of seats to be made available to allow PAL to increased frequency between MNL-SYD to 9 times weekly and MNL-BNE from 4 to 5 times weekly. As for new destination PEH has been reference as a future destination to be operated by the A321neo. But its best to whait until next year to see if it will happened?

Blog post.
philippineairspace.blogspot.com/2018/09/phiaus-expands-asa.html?m=1

ASA Agreement between PH and AU.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/dfat ... 13/21.html

Yeetus787

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:56 am

I may have asked this many times already, but is there any news on the Cebu Pacific ATR 72s that were supposedly converted to freighters? Here's a relevant article from CAPA several months ago: https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... lcc-427913

And here's a more recent article mentioning CEB freighters: https://cargofacts.com/freighter-aircra ... f-october/

I heard that the conversions are supposed to be completed by now, but aside from that, no news has appeared leading me to believe that either the whole thing wasn't real, or the orders have been cancelled.

PR77W

Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:37 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Why don't they refurbish their A320s?i think they are good enough for short international destinations with smaller pax.these planes don't even need ifes,(overhead tv is okay) just the seats have to be changed/lavatory/carpet
However, their older "A321 should not be used"
= only for pal express
They are adding way tooo much more capacity to destinations, than they can handle.they will only use their old aircrafts for these routes...why don't they upgrade first their excisting ones with new planes?i wonder.
I'm surprised by hanoi and phnom pehn as new routes.

Aside from the A320 which desperately need a total refurbishment. PAL should also consider refurbishing some of there A321ceo that are being used on international flights and try to match it with there A321neo. Additionally GAP A320 also need refurbishment as they have three different configurations maybe reduced it to just two,with some in a one-class config. and the other in a two-class config.

Also PAL should consider ordering a replacement type for there existing A320ceo as well with PAL Express, either the A320neo or A220-300 would be suitable candidates.

PR77W

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:52 pm

Yeetus787 wrote:
I may have asked this many times already, but is there any news on the Cebu Pacific ATR 72s that were supposedly converted to freighters? Here's a relevant article from CAPA several months ago: https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... lcc-427913

And here's a more recent article mentioning CEB freighters: https://cargofacts.com/freighter-aircra ... f-october/

I heard that the conversions are supposed to be completed by now, but aside from that, no news has appeared leading me to believe that either the whole thing wasn't real, or the orders have been cancelled.

Unfortunately no new updates on the progress of the conversion of the aircraft have came so far.

Devilfish

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 pm

fusionliner wrote:
I'm not sure if any of you guys know, but the North-South Commuter Railway is now packaged as 1 elevated commuter line from Calamba to New Clark City, with a dedicated spur line to Clark International Airport. The rail line will have bypasses so that both a local commuter, commuter express and airport express operation can seamlessly be operated.

While laudable, one can't help but feel that it is still a bit of a red herring relative to both airports. Who would want to fly into MNL or CRK only to commute back to either general location with all their baggage in tow? The most sensible thing to do is fly to the nearest international airport to their final destination.

fusionliner wrote:
total project cost is approx. USD $15 billion

And there's the rub.

fusionliner wrote:
NAIA will also be connected thanks to the USD $5.31 Billion Metro Manila Subway thats expected to connect Mindanao Ave in Quezon City, to NAIA. (and in the future offer seamless travel to Calamba via using bypass rails on the NSCR tracks) All you would have to do is grab a subway train from NAIA Station to FTI Station and onwards to NSCR starting in 2025.

fusionliner wrote:
In addition, it will connect with the recent ground breaking of the USD $3.7 Billion Makati Subway from Ayala MRT Station to Ospital ng Makati, that will also connect to MRT 3, Pasig River Ferry and the Metro Manila Subway

Is that NAIA Station directly accessible from Terminals 1, 2 and 3? What's the use of the people mover if it can't conveniently shuttle passengers to the mass rail transport connection?.....

https://business.inquirer.net/262747/wo ... -next-year

https://www.philstar.com/business/2018/ ... -neda-soon

fusionliner wrote:
Starting 2022, you can hypothetically go from MNL-CRK by grabbing a taxi to FTI Station and from 2025 onwards, all you need is to take 1 Subway ride to FTI Station and grab the NSCR Airport Express train which will get you to CRK in: 1 hour & 7 mins

"Hypothetically" being the operative word. All that spending and you still have to take a taxi or Subway to FTI Station. For all the money, you get the benefit of a whole lot of hassle. And what happens when they eventually close NAIA.....repeat the process and duplicate the expense to connect everything to SMC's Bulacan Gateway :?: .....from the Inquirer link.....

Quote:
"The DOTr earlier rejected the proposal for a new runway as its leadership believed that Naia should eventually be closed to make way for new gateways outside Metro Manila."
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

PR77W

Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:20 am

This just came out recently.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/26/dep ... hilippines

I wonder whats the difference between the security procedures at airport here in the Philippines compared to other countries in asia?

Here a detail overview of how airport security works.

https://youtu.be/1Y1kJpHBn50

Yeetus787

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:31 am

Devilfish wrote:
While laudable, one can't help but feel that it is still a bit of a red herring relative to both airports. Who would want to fly into MNL or CRK only to commute back to either general location with all their baggage in tow? The most sensible thing to do is fly to the nearest international airport to their final destination.

Well, a lot of people fly to Narita then take a train, bus, taxi or whatever to Tokyo, which are pretty far away from each other and it works pretty well. Now I realize that Narita is not always a good comparison to Clark, as Narita is only 70-80 km from Tokyo while Clark is 100 km from Manila, but that's about the best comparison I can give for now.

Yeetus787

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:37 am

PR77W wrote:
This just came out recently.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/26/dep ... hilippines

I wonder whats the difference between the security procedures at airport here in the Philippines compared to other countries in asia?

Here a detail overview of how airport security works.

https://youtu.be/1Y1kJpHBn50

I noticed how in many airports in the Philippines that there's always a security check right at the entrance. It's not like that in other Asian countries.

The777Man

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 am

Yeetus787 wrote:
Devilfish wrote:

Well, a lot of people fly to Narita then take a train, bus, taxi or whatever to Tokyo, which are pretty far away from each other and it works pretty well. Now I realize that Narita is not always a good comparison to Clark, as Narita is only 70-80 km from Tokyo while Clark is 100 km from Manila, but that's about the best comparison I can give for now.

It's not really a good comparison at all because like you mentioned, CRK is farther but not only that, once you arrive in Central Tokyo after about 20-25 mins on the Keisei Skyliner, there are many, perhaps 5-8 different subway lines to get you where you need to go. Manila doesn't have the same infrastructure at all as Tokyo and therefore a high speed train to CRK will only get you to where the stop, not everywhere convenient in Manila.

Best option to me is to build an airport at Sangley and to expand CRK. Then there will be airports both sides of Metro Manila. Placing a new airport in Bulacan gives bad travel options and very long commute for most of the city especially areas to the south like Alabang, Cavite and Laguna.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

oskarclare

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:13 am

Not sure if it was mentioned but BNE will be year-round 5x weekly from 4 APR 19 with the A321N.

Also does anyone know about a rumoured CEB-BNE?

Yeetus787

Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 am

The777Man wrote:
Yeetus787 wrote:
Devilfish wrote:

It's not really a good comparison at all because like you mentioned, CRK is farther but not only that, once you arrive in Central Tokyo after about 20-25 mins on the Keisei Skyliner, there are many, perhaps 5-8 different subway lines to get you where you need to go. Manila doesn't have the same infrastructure at all as Tokyo and therefore a high speed train to CRK will only get you to where the stop, not everywhere convenient in Manila.

Best option to me is to build an airport at Sangley and to expand CRK. Then there will be airports both sides of Metro Manila. Placing a new airport in Bulacan gives bad travel options and very long commute for most of the city especially areas to the south like Alabang, Cavite and Laguna.

The777Man

Sadly, yes. Though there are two Manila subway lines in the works, but none of them connect to the main railway station (Tutuban), and two isn't enough.

Best option in my opinion is either:
-expand Clark, improve infrastructure and accessibility and keep NAIA, but move many NAIA flights to Clark.
-Clark serves as the main regional airport for Northern Luzon, while Bulacan and NAIA work hand-in-hand to serve Metro Manila and Southern Luzon
-Clark serves as the main regional airport for N Luzon while Bulacan and Sangley work hand-in hand to serve MM and S Luzon.

SleeplessInZh

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:14 am

Is bulacan finally approved?construction to begin 2019.

SleeplessInZh

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:15 am

https://business.inquirer.net/262798/co ... tart-in-19

New Manila International Airport!Finally!

Yeetus787

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:30 am

What was the point of granting OPS to the NAIA Consortium's 15 year concession if NAIA will just be closed and replaced by Bulacan, which will be completed in only six years? The NAIA Consortium wants to upgrade NAIA's capacity to 100 million pax per annum which in my opinion only seems appropriate for a long-term or permanent airport. If they're just gonna keep NAIA open for 15 years, they might as well just make it like 70 or 65 million. Also what if the next administration changes their mind on closing NAIA?

SleeplessInZh

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Exactly my thoughts.i am for the upgade of naia,but i hope they don't waste too much money.i dislike the idea of a 2nd runway next to roxas boulevard.a design-catastrophe.

Devilfish

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Yeetus787 wrote:
What was the point of granting OPS to the NAIA Consortium's 15 year concession if NAIA will just be closed and replaced by Bulacan, which will be completed in only six years?

It seems you may have answered your question already.....
Yeetus787 wrote:
If they're just gonna keep NAIA open for 15 years, they might as well just make it like 70 or 65 million. Also what if the next administration changes their mind on closing NAIA?

Besides, the Government probably thinks six years is an overly optimistic estimate for the airport project completion. The T3 saga must still be fresh in their minds.

SleeplessInZh wrote:
New Manila International Airport!Finally!

The question is if it'd be just a local government center which was mentioned in the press release :?: If national, then it is much more sensible to locate it in the planned to be closed NAIA as pointed out upthread. Imagine Terminal 1 as the new Senate building... :eyepopping: ...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YJQjXmSBag4/U ... TION07.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X25Ai2Anf2k/U ... TION01.jpg

Aside from preserving and adaptively reusing the work of the national artist, it also embodies and showcases a unique Filipino character which I find sorely lacking in the conceptual design presented some time ago to the senate. A renovated and re-purposed Terminal 2 could house the Supreme Court, Terminal 3 could be converted to a modern National Medical Center, and Nayong Pilipino could be revitalized as the basis of a much-needed and expanded Central Park :!:

Now...our dear congressmen might complain that they have been neglected and too far out of the scene. Well, they have their own big House along Commonwealth Av. but if they still feel envious, they could fund the rehabilitation of the Film Center and have a magnificent view of the bay and its famous sunset..... :ghost: .....

http://rogue.ph/wp-content/uploads/2016 ... enter1.jpg

I bet they would vote to remain where they are or trade places with the Supreme Court! :biggrin:

fusionliner

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Devilfish wrote:

Very true, however, if New Clark City is designed for its intended purpose & creates a new catchment base, the development of these new airports drive up competition/lower fares and the economy continues to rapidly grow as it has been the past few years, I could see all the airports working together but for specific and different needs. I've been reading that the Bulacan project may also align with SMC and their plans to launch a new airline after they got the boot from PAL. It does beg the question. How long can the gravy train last at SMC?

its amazing to think Manila/Clark will soon have airports managed by Changi and (hopefully) Bulacan by Incheon Airport. I'm cautiously optimistic about the plans since international airport operators are attached to the projects.

Devilfish wrote:
Is that NAIA Station directly accessible from Terminals 1, 2 and 3? What's the use of the people mover if it can't conveniently shuttle passengers to the mass rail transport connection?.....

It's supposedly going to be connected to NAIA 3. The location is anyones guess atm, but It would make sense its connected to the people mover. Hopefully the NAIA consortium takes the location into account for the people mover.

Devilfish wrote:
"Hypothetically" being the operative word. All that spending and you still have to take a taxi or Subway to FTI Station. For all the money, you get the benefit of a whole lot of hassle. And what happens when they eventually close NAIA.....repeat the process and duplicate the expense to connect everything to SMC's Bulacan Gateway :?: .....from the Inquirer link.....

Well, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle since the JICA plans for NSCR to have multiple island platforms to transfer from one train to another. The problem is, the proposed schedule of the Airport Express train seems to be every hour, which isn't amazing if you don't know. I hope there are plans to have the Airport Express train interline with the subway so you can just take one train from NAIA Station.

In regards for Bulacan however, SMC has their own idea to connect the Bulacan gateway to EDSA.

https://www.philstar.com/business/2018/08/31/1847264/smc-plans-mrt-loop-link-bulacan-airport

This is definately something they can easily do because they are building the MRT 7 to North Ave - San Jose Del Monte and they could probably add bypasses on the existing track, and connect it from San Jose Del Norte to the u/c North Integrated Terminal in Bocaue (the INC development with Philippine Arena) and then onwards to the new airport. another interesting idea is the Skyway since they own the concession for that. They are also proposing a spillway for the Bulacan airport from Manila Bay - Laguna de Bay and could also integrate a rail system into those plans. https://business.inquirer.net/256253/smc-readies-master-plan-solve-bulacan-flood-woes

Yeetus787 wrote:
What was the point of granting OPS to the NAIA Consortium's 15 year concession if NAIA will just be closed and replaced by Bulacan, which will be completed in only six years?

Probably politics. I see this as a first step in redevelopment. The consortium all has their hands in commercial/residential development and I see them working with government on the redevelopment strategy. Once the gov't puts it out for tender, the consortium can bid on it again, and recoup the billions in their investments in the infrastructure and create a new integrated development. Some even have controlling stakes like Lucio Tan and his share in the University of the East and could integrate it into a mixed used development.

Devilfish wrote:
The question is if it'd be just a local government center which was mentioned in the press release :?: If national, then it is much more sensible to locate it in the planned to be closed NAIA as pointed out upthread. Imagine Terminal 1 as the new Senate building...

The government has already committed to New Clark City in Tarlac. The DOTr moved their headquarters last year and right now there is a lot of development because of the SEA Games in 2019. Its envisioned to be the next government city with approx. 1.2 million ppl but in a lot of the discriptors, backup seems to be the word. I could definately see a lot of government offices having a base in the NAIA redevelopment and at NCC

https://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/multimedia/slideshow/09/19/18/look-the-new-clark-city
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/new-clark-city-philippines/index.html
https://www.spin.ph/multisport/look-brand-new-stadium-for-2019-sea-games-hosting-is-taking-shape-a795-20181123
https://news.mb.com.ph/2018/08/19/phs-city-of-the-future-now-rising-in-clark/

The high speed rail to MM makes sense and to me and is primarily there to drive growth thats happening economically and politically between Manila & Clark. Because of that, I don't see the Senate & Supreme Court moving their facilities to NAIA. They already seemed to have approved the projects & have agreed with BCDA on the land acquisition in Fort Bonifacio & BGC based on the articles i've found. It would be nice to see these two if they're built (tho i do agree with you Devilfish, it is lacking a bit of soul. would have loved to see the Henning Larsen proposal win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJekS-WPg4I)

Supreme Court of the Philippines
http://nolisoli.ph/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Screen-Shot-2017-06-08-at-9.06.15-AM.png

Senate of the Philippines
https://assets.rappler.com/612F469A6EA84F6BAE882D2B94A4B421/img/3ECCB10BDA62441794ED2025D968068C/screen-shot-2018-05-28-at-4.58.07-pm.jpg

but as it is in the Philippines, who knows. Batasan Pambansa, was supposed to be the centre of the Executive, Judicial, & Lower/Upper House. look how that turned out.

SleeplessInZh

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:25 pm

The manila railway-main station + a central park,should be built on naia.or perhaps relocate first the slum inhabitants to this place,to rehabilitate manila from ground zero.

SleeplessInZh

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 am

Is Pal now in talks with One World Alliance delegates?some say they had several meetings in manila.
so maybe in 2 years we will see PAL in One World?
Rumours...
After royal air maroc joined One World, Philippine Airlines were also mentioned in the media as a favourite.
So i'll stop now talking about this.My prediction for PAL joining an Alliance is: One World.

Yeetus787

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:42 am

As much as I'm against closing NAIA (for reasons such as how much jobs depend on it, and how there are still in-city airports like Taipei-Songshan staying open), it would be interesting to see what it would be redeveloped into. I think a Central Park is the best one because MM desperately needs one. Maybe a Central park along what is now Runway 13/31 with a CBD and real estate/housing complex along what is now 6/24.

SleeplessInZh wrote:
Is Pal now in talks with One World Alliance delegates?some say they had several meetings in manila.
so maybe in 2 years we will see PAL in One World?
Rumours...
After royal air maroc joined One World, Philippine Airlines were also mentioned in the media.

That sounds like good news. For a few years now I've thought of Oneworld as the most likely alliance that PAL would join.

SleeplessInZh

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 am

It will depend on the investor.if its one world, i'm thinking about qatar airways.qatar needs to stay in one world (cathay pacific)!if its ana,Pal will join Star.
If its emirates,Pal will form a new alliance,haha.Or together with qatar exiting One world?a new alliance
I need to shut up now on this issue.
One World is suited 85% for PAL

SleeplessInZh

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:01 am

I will be shooock if emirates, will invest in philippine airlines.

EmoticonsAllDay

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:08 am

SleeplessInZh wrote:
It will depend on the investor.if its one world, i'm thinking about qatar airways.qatar needs to stay in one world (cathay pacific)!if its ana,Pal will join Star.
If its emirates,Pal will form a new alliance,haha.Or together with qatar exiting One world?a new alliance
I need to shut up now on this issue.
One World is suited 85% for PAL

I disagree. The most suited alliance for PR is the SkyTeam although most people would like PR to join OneWorld. It would be redundant in the ASEAN region if PR joins OneWorld especially when the primary focus of PR is the US and CX has multiple US services each day to several cities. Whereas in SkyTeam, PR can codeshare with DL and VS from their LHR service and codeshare with VA (though not a part of ST, definitely under DL-VS group) for their services to Australia, which according to my understanding is their secondary focus country. IMHO, SkyTeam would benefit PR in the long term.

Devilfish

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:40 pm

fusionliner wrote:
Very true, however, if New Clark City is designed for its intended purpose & creates a new catchment base, the development of these new airports drive up competition/lower fares and the economy continues to rapidly grow as it has been the past few years, I could see all the airports working together but for specific and different needs.

It then becomes a "chicken and the egg" question.

fusionliner wrote:
I've been reading that the Bulacan project may also align with SMC and their plans to launch a new airline after they got the boot from PAL. It does beg the question. How long can the gravy train last at SMC?

Hence my wishful (naive?) suggestion earlier in the thread that SMC provide the land and the NAIA Consortium finance a big part of the project.....

https://www.philstar.com/opinion/2018/1 ... -real-deal

fusionliner wrote:
its amazing to think Manila/Clark will soon have airports managed by Changi and (hopefully) Bulacan by Incheon Airport. I'm cautiously optimistic about the plans since international airport operators are attached to the projects.

A new twist about that puts some doubts on Changi's qualifications..... :spin: .....

https://www.philstar.com/business/2018/ ... major-flaw

fusionliner wrote:
In regards for Bulacan however, SMC has their own idea to connect the Bulacan gateway to EDSA.

It's understandable that SMC would seek to maximize the connections and utilization of their MRT7 and Skyway projects. I don't know if the Government is undertaking the extension of R-10 on its own (Ferdinand E. Marcos Rd for those who do not know yet) but there are already partial seawalls built that could indicate it might continue on to form the coastal highway to Bulakan. :scratchchin:

fusionliner wrote:
Because of that, I don't see the Senate & Supreme Court moving their facilities to NAIA. They already seemed to have approved the projects & have agreed with BCDA on the land acquisition in Fort Bonifacio & BGC based on the articles i've found.

True...but they could always sell or lease the properties later on. The proposed Senate looks more like a business office building or a hotel.

fusionliner wrote:
It would be nice to see these two if they're built (tho i do agree with you Devilfish, it is lacking a bit of soul. would have loved to see the Henning Larsen proposal win

OTOH, the curator for this year's Philippine Pavilion at Venice's Bienalle cautions against over reliance on cliche elements for major new developments.....

https://media.philstar.com/images/artic ... -22-43.jpg

fusionliner wrote:
Senate of the Philippines

I hate to say this but that could qualify as a carmaker's local headquarters! :wideeyed:

fusionliner wrote:
Supreme Court of the Philippines

At least, Manosa&Co. can always be relied upon to come up with a dignified institutional character for projects like these.

Yeetus787 wrote:
As much as I'm against closing NAIA (for reasons such as how much jobs depend on it, and how there are still in-city airports like Taipei-Songshan staying open)

I, for one, am in the camp strongly advocating for the retention of NAIA as a city airport...but if the powers that be decree that it should close, then I wouldn't want to see another casino-resort-CBD development in its place :!:

Let me end 2018 with this blog report on Sangley (SGL).....

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... ember.html

Happy New Year everyone :!: ..... :bomb: :champagne: :cheerful:

SQ22

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Please continue to post your updates and to add your comments in the thread for 2019 which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411777

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos