Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
neomax
Topic Author
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:48 am

ATL is the world's busiest for a number of reasons, but one is that capacity has allowed it to reach the level that it has. With several clean sheet airports being built with much higher numbers than ATL in mind (150 million), it's only a matter of time before one of them tops ATL and reaches its targeted capacity. My bets are on DWC or IST. Thoughts?
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am

For me I’d say PEK, IST, DWC, HKG and PVG in that order. Few others are likely to be able to take the crown in the next decade.
 
jmchevallier
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 am

Most likely candidates to top ATL are DWC and IST, ahead of ICN, HKG and SIN (if they build a 4th runway).
IMO PEK will not go far beyond 100 Mppa for lack of terminal capacity : please remember also that Daxin new airport will open next year.

ATL also has some expansion plan of its own including a 6th parallel runway and some terminal extension and could top 120 Mppa.
Do not forget a possible resumption of former nb 1 ORD if current terminal projects are cleared.
 
User avatar
neomax
Topic Author
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 am

jmchevallier wrote:
Most likely candidates to top ATL are DWC and IST, ahead of ICN, HKG and SIN (if they build a 4th runway).
IMO PEK will not go far beyond 100 Mppa for lack of terminal capacity : please remember also that Daxin new airport will open next year.

ATL also has some expansion plan of its own including a 6th parallel runway and some terminal extension and could top 120 Mppa.
Do not forget a possible resumption of former nb 1 ORD if current terminal projects are cleared.


I've heard that PEK is going to operate alongside the new airport to maximize the availability of new capacity instead of shifting everything. If that is true, you're probably right as a split situation will likely mean that neither of Beijing's airports are going to have everything and thus neither will top the list. ATL's advantage is the centralization of all Atlanta traffic into the airport, which has more or less been the case for PEK up to this point.
 
BENAir01
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Yeah it won’t be PEK because it and Dacing will be pretty evenly split, so it’s more likely each will be in the 50-60 mil area and nit even close to topping ATL
My guess would be IST or DWC.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?
 
User avatar
United787
Posts: 2943
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 pm

jmchevallier wrote:
Do not forget a possible resumption of former nb 1 ORD if current terminal projects are cleared.


ORD has been growing it's passenger numbers even though they have been maxed out in gate availability for years. From reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383591 It seems like the growth has mostly come from upgauging the average aircraft size since aircraft movements have been flat.

2018 should see quantifiable growth on both fronts since AA will be opening it's 5 new gates soon. But I don't see any additional growth until the end of the proposed (and very schematic) terminal expansion plan since they will have to tear down gates as they build them much like they did at MDW. So I think we are 5+ years away from seeing any additional gate capacity increase. And then, I think ORD will be more competitive in the "world's busiest" title but I don't see them regaining their title.

EDIT: But, I do think one of the biggest improvements that will impact growth (if approved in the final plan), is the location of FIS facilities in T2 for *Alliance and OneWorld connections. I think that could make ORD a much stronger international gateway which would fuel more international flights and more domestic flights.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

I think DXB could do it even before DWC. The airport authorities say the airport will handle 118m by 2023. I don't think ATL will reach those numbers by that time.
 
User avatar
unrave
Posts: 2682
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:37 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 pm

DEL is poised to touch 110m sometime early next decade. If DWC gets delayed and Beijing's second airport opens in time, it could hold the title for a brief time.
17April2019: RIP Jet Airways
 
Arion640
Posts: 3235
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Would be LHR if they'd had Runway 4 by now.

Anyway, IST, DXB until DWC is open. Wildcard, LAX?
 
masgniw
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Would be LHR if they'd had Runway 4 by now.

Anyway, IST, DXB until DWC is open. Wildcard, LAX?


I'd love for LAX to grow into that spot, but it's unlikely to happen. Taxiway congestion is too severe to allow for more growth. The Midfield Concourse will give a little breathing room, but it really only helps out the least congested terminal (TBIT).

Barring a major tear-down/rebuild of current terminal areas, I think only aggressive use of remote stands is going to allow for meaningful growth (and US travelers tend to turn their noses up at this).
 
Blerg
Posts: 4534
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm

masgniw wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Would be LHR if they'd had Runway 4 by now.

Anyway, IST, DXB until DWC is open. Wildcard, LAX?


I'd love for LAX to grow into that spot, but it's unlikely to happen. Taxiway congestion is too severe to allow for more growth. The Midfield Concourse will give a little breathing room, but it really only helps out the least congested terminal (TBIT).

Barring a major tear-down/rebuild of current terminal areas, I think only aggressive use of remote stands is going to allow for meaningful growth (and US travelers tend to turn their noses up at this).


I read somewhere that roughly 10% of all movement at LAX is made up of regional aircraft. Maybe it's time to encourage airlines to start sending larger aircraft especially as the airport gets more and more congested.
 
pasu129
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Blerg wrote:
masgniw wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
Would be LHR if they'd had Runway 4 by now.

Anyway, IST, DXB until DWC is open. Wildcard, LAX?


I'd love for LAX to grow into that spot, but it's unlikely to happen. Taxiway congestion is too severe to allow for more growth. The Midfield Concourse will give a little breathing room, but it really only helps out the least congested terminal (TBIT).

Barring a major tear-down/rebuild of current terminal areas, I think only aggressive use of remote stands is going to allow for meaningful growth (and US travelers tend to turn their noses up at this).


I read somewhere that roughly 10% of all movement at LAX is made up of regional aircraft. Maybe it's time to encourage airlines to start sending larger aircraft especially as the airport gets more and more congested.


LAX needs a rebuild to the following in order to catch up to ATL

Image
Viva Las Vegas
 
masgniw
Posts: 559
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 pm

pasu129 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
masgniw wrote:

I'd love for LAX to grow into that spot, but it's unlikely to happen. Taxiway congestion is too severe to allow for more growth. The Midfield Concourse will give a little breathing room, but it really only helps out the least congested terminal (TBIT).

Barring a major tear-down/rebuild of current terminal areas, I think only aggressive use of remote stands is going to allow for meaningful growth (and US travelers tend to turn their noses up at this).


I read somewhere that roughly 10% of all movement at LAX is made up of regional aircraft. Maybe it's time to encourage airlines to start sending larger aircraft especially as the airport gets more and more congested.


LAX needs a rebuild to the following in order to catch up to ATL

Image


But this probably won't ever happen, at least not to this scale and probably not within our lifetimes.
 
User avatar
neomax
Topic Author
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:07 am

PerfectGriffin wrote:
I think DXB could do it even before DWC. The airport authorities say the airport will handle 118m by 2023. I don't think ATL will reach those numbers by that time.


Didn't think about that actually, but you have a point!
 
User avatar
rjsampson
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I'd be surprised if ANY airport catches up to KATL in the next decade.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(
 
User avatar
rjsampson
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:00 am

Re: Which airports are most likely to top ATL as world's busiest in the next decade?

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 pm

I'd be surprised if ANY airport surpassed KATL in the next decade, at least in terms of aircraft movements. Possibly passengers as well.
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. Unfortunately, we're grounded :(

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos