RJNUT
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:33 pm

wjuddsonk wrote:
It's a sad day that anyone loses their job in aviation and an airline dies.


Agreed but it is also sad to go down with a sinking ship that has been set in motion for about decade and not see it coming.
 
YLWbased
Posts: 895
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm

there goes the last and only Scheduled Commercial Service to and from Cheyenne, Wyoming.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.
 
TripleA
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
Wow..didnt see that coming! Wonder who will take Great Lakes' extensive service from Phoenix to outer Arizona cities such as Prescott and Show Low, or if they too will be laid to rest alongside Great Lakes.

Although not a major airline, Great Lakes was a presence for many years-decades actually, becoming a legend of its own, specially in the commuter airline world. RIP GLA!


ZK hasn't served Show Low in several years, they have Boutique Air providing them flights now. As for PRC, I doubt they'll get any service from any larger airline, at least until they build a larger terminal. Their current terminal is very small.
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm

YLWbased wrote:
there goes the last and only Scheduled Commercial Service to and from Cheyenne, Wyoming.

YLWbased

for sometime now it has been down to one flight per WEEK!
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5028
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:04 pm

jetstream3399 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Border Coast Regional Airport Authority is the one that needs to worry about filling planes. It is chartering the aircraft from Contour, so Contour should have figured out how much it would take to run that schedule, and passed the appropriate cost on to the Authority. And moving the airplanes between Crescent City and Smyrna for maintenance would have to be a somewhat extraordinary expense.

Then you are in Oakland with no code shares. Please. Everyone will continue to use ACV.


The service is actually doing extremely well - booked to over a 50% load factor in April already and with 30+ more days to continue to add traffic. I don't know that this is the best option for connecting travelers but for local O&D to the Bay Area, of which there is plenty from the region, this represents a welcome change from the $300+ one way fares that United has been charging from ACV and MFR. In fact, the newspaper article that came out shortly after tickets went on sale quoted one of the first passengers that booked as from ACV and willing to drive just to to CEC just to save the extra money. Say what you will about Contour but their TUP-BNA service runs about 80% full and MCN-BWI runs about 70% full on a 30-seat ERJ with twice daily service. Filling a 30-seat ERJ with an inexpensive daily flight should not be particularly difficult since the traffic study that was done actually showed the Bay Area as the largest traffic market from the CEC area.


I booked a quick, over-night trip on Contour for the end of April, giving them a try. I think their schedule today is pretty good for connections through OAK, especially with the likes of WN...even though you have to buy two separate tickets and may have to leave security to claim and recheck your bags. Just allow a lot of time for connections...like 2 hours. I hope Contour does well and plans for some expansion...maybe to include MFR and ACV.
 
flight152
Posts: 3417
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:19 pm

wjuddsonk wrote:
It's a sad day that anyone loses their job in aviation and an airline dies.

It’s also a sad story of an airline that took advantage of its employees for years and paid barely living wages.
 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:53 pm

There are a lot of Big 3 pilots out there that got there start with Great Lakes. The FAA change in Part 135 pilot flight hour requirements really did Lakes in. Their service after that collapsed, as was evident in the loss of so much of the EAS flying. Good memories of flying the Rockies in the ol' Beechs. :white:

Frontier 14
 
Newark727
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Dang it, I never got to see one of their EMB-120s...
 
ridgid727
Posts: 1081
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:35 pm

flight152 wrote:
wjuddsonk wrote:
It's a sad day that anyone loses their job in aviation and an airline dies.

It’s also a sad story of an airline that took advantage of its employees for years and paid barely living wages.


Yes, sad sotry it is, Voss built a huge retreat for himself down in the Page Arizona area, and pilfered the company for all he could.
 
MO11
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:11 pm

QXAS wrote:
Well this is a shame. I use them to get home from school in Prescott because I hate taking the shuttle to Phoenix. Connecting in LAX was so easy because they used T6 and I fly AS exclusively between LAX and SEA. Sad to see them go. Crossing my fingers QX brings back the LAX-PRC-FLG tag. Coincidentally my first ever QX flight was when they were introducing that flight. It was on the magazine cover. I was on the Portland shuttle that day. Thought nothing of it. Now I’m hoping they bring it back. But it’s more for convinience than anything. It’s certainly not “essential”.


Which certainly is a conundrum. The purpose if EAS us to connect small airports with the national air transportation system. Right now, Arizona Shuttle best fills that bill (no matter how many stops it makes, or how bad I-17 is). LAX isn't the best option for making connections (particularly going east). LAS or SLC would be better, but the two biggest players at LAS don't interline, and there isn't an airline with a DL interline agreement that will serve PRC.

I don't think QX has the resources to resume service there.
 
User avatar
ual747den
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:29 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Sad to see them go, I have been on many flights with them, I never needed to go anywhere that they flew but I enjoyed flying on the Beech and 120's so I would spend the day flying with them every once in a while. Back then they had a pretty good sized operation out of Denver, they were flying codeshare for UA and F9 at the time and as a UA employee I was able to non-rev for free. It was cool flying with them, when we would land I would just stay on the aircraft and BS with the crew until we were ready to board the pax and head back. The days when I flew with them I would just go to the airport and talk to the gate agent and see what was open in and out so I could get back to Denver! I hadn't realized that their operation was suffering so badly, it is really sad to see them go...
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 18408
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Where can pilots without an ATP gain hours now in the USA?
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
Ionosphere
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:22 pm

I regret never nonreving on Great Lakes when I had the chance.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
There are a lot of Big 3 pilots out there that got there start with Great Lakes. The FAA change in Part 135 pilot flight hour requirements really did Lakes in. Their service after that collapsed, as was evident in the loss of so much of the EAS flying. Good memories of flying the Rockies in the ol' Beechs. :white:

Frontier 14


Great Lakes is a LONG story with many ups and downs.
As far as paying "Living Wages", as has been noted before, if you still have resumes arriving on the desk, there is no need to raise wages. Sucks, but there it is.

The destruction of the economy in the Mid-2000's, as well as the complete lack of any suitable replacement aircraft in that segment were major contributors to the fall, IMHO. GL's planes weren't just old, they were OLD..., with everything that entails. Between Clinton's Mid-90's "Reforms", and the arbitrary hours rule, I am surprised that they made it this long.
 
diaspotter
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2000 6:03 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

Key Lime Air (Denver Air Connection) still operates an EMB-120. APA-GJT-APA typically--in addition to some NCAA charters.
 
diaspotter
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2000 6:03 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm

N366DC
 
KCaviator
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Where can pilots without an ATP gain hours now in the USA?


Flight instructing, pipeline patrol, aerial mapping, flying for the countless other 135 operators, etc, etc, etc
 
KCaviator
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:18 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
There are a lot of Big 3 pilots out there that got there start with Great Lakes. The FAA change in Part 135 pilot flight hour requirements really did Lakes in. Their service after that collapsed, as was evident in the loss of so much of the EAS flying. Good memories of flying the Rockies in the ol' Beechs. :white:

Frontier 14


Great Lakes is a LONG story with many ups and downs.
As far as paying "Living Wages", as has been noted before, if you still have resumes arriving on the desk, there is no need to raise wages. Sucks, but there it is.

The destruction of the economy in the Mid-2000's, as well as the complete lack of any suitable replacement aircraft in that segment were major contributors to the fall, IMHO. GL's planes weren't just old, they were OLD..., with everything that entails. Between Clinton's Mid-90's "Reforms", and the arbitrary hours rule, I am surprised that they made it this long.


Exactly. This is why pay didn’t improve sooner. Many people forget that just 5-6 years ago pilots were PAYING airlines to work for them. You can say all you want about liveable wages, but pilots were lining up at the door to work in those conditions.
 
KarlB737
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:51 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Courtesy: Aviation Pros
Regional Airline Association Statement on Great Lakes Suspension of Operations

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12405542/regional-airline-association-statement-on-great-lakes-suspension-of-operations
 
PSAjet17
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:50 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Saw this on Facebook from Air Wisconsin:

Air Wisconsin Airlines
March 28 at 7:06am ·

Our entire team is sorry to hear that Great Lakes Airlines has ceased operations. We would like to offer any current Great Lakes pilot the opportunity to bypass the interview and reserve an expedited class date. All time while in training is paid, and as part of our $57,000 bonus program you receive your first $5,000 during your first month of training and an additional $26,000 after completion of IOE.

Email: [email protected]
 
QXAS
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 pm

I don’t see PRC getting service again unless it’s a tag from FLG. AA already flies to FLG so a tag through PRC wouldn’t be impossible. I’m glad Air Wisconsin is taking in the pilots.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.
 
KCaviator
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Air Wisconsin is not "taking in the pilots," they are simply allowing them to bypass the interview if they so chose to work at ZW. Also, they are not the only airline trying to benefit (i.e. acquire pilots) by Great Lakes' demise. Mesa, Trans States, and Republic are just as savage and have offered some type of preferential treatment to former ZK pilots.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5028
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:02 am

One would think QX would be on top of this for hiring pilots and 1st officers. QX brought in almost all of the Island Air's pilots fairly quickly.
 
DiamondFlyer
Posts: 3165
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:44 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
One would think QX would be on top of this for hiring pilots and 1st officers. QX brought in almost all of the Island Air's pilots fairly quickly.


All 17 of them? They'll go where they want.
From my cold, dead hands
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2025
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:53 am

lightsaber wrote:
Where can pilots without an ATP gain hours now in the USA?


Non-turbojet 135 doesn't have the same hour rules as TJet135 and 121 (1500). You can fly in the right seat of normal 135 at 500 hours and be a captain at 1200 hours.

Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5028
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:14 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
One would think QX would be on top of this for hiring pilots and 1st officers. QX brought in almost all of the Island Air's pilots fairly quickly.


All 17 of them? They'll go where they want.


I saw it in a report about QX's recovery from the major pilot shortage.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5028
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:17 am

Varsity1 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Where can pilots without an ATP gain hours now in the USA?


Non-turbojet 135 doesn't have the same hour rules as TJet135 and 121 (1500). You can fly in the right seat of normal 135 at 500 hours and be a captain at 1200 hours.

Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.


Of course the PC-12's have exactly half of the fuel burn of the 1900's...the PC-12's have exactly half the engines of the 1900's. PC-12's have less than half of the passenger capacity as well.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2025
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:32 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Where can pilots without an ATP gain hours now in the USA?


Non-turbojet 135 doesn't have the same hour rules as TJet135 and 121 (1500). You can fly in the right seat of normal 135 at 500 hours and be a captain at 1200 hours.

Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.


Of course the PC-12's have exactly half of the fuel burn of the 1900's...the PC-12's have exactly half the engines of the 1900's. PC-12's have less than half of the passenger capacity as well.


ZK flies alot of their B1900's on the EAS routes sched 135 (9 seats).
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.


Very short sighted comment. Boutique Air has lost out on many of their EAS bids (especially from DEN) due to only having one engined aircraft. It’s not ideal in a mountainous area to many communities. Hence why they have invested in King Air 350s.

The other issue is weight limitations. GLA’s passengers often had heavier baggage items (ie skis and coolers) that the PC-12 is limited with.

GLA had its issues, but solely putting blame on not buying PC-12s wasn’t a sole decision that could have saved them.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5028
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Non-turbojet 135 doesn't have the same hour rules as TJet135 and 121 (1500). You can fly in the right seat of normal 135 at 500 hours and be a captain at 1200 hours.

Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.


Of course the PC-12's have exactly half of the fuel burn of the 1900's...the PC-12's have exactly half the engines of the 1900's. PC-12's have less than half of the passenger capacity as well.


ZK flies alot of their B1900's on the EAS routes sched 135 (9 seats).


ZK met their demise due to bad management and unreliable service...from what I have read.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2025
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:07 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.


Very short sighted comment. Boutique Air has lost out on many of their EAS bids (especially from DEN) due to only having one engined aircraft. It’s not ideal in a mountainous area to many communities. Hence why they have invested in King Air 350s.

The other issue is weight limitations. GLA’s passengers often had heavier baggage items (ie skis and coolers) that the PC-12 is limited with.

GLA had its issues, but solely putting blame on not buying PC-12s wasn’t a sole decision that could have saved them.


:lol: uh, no bud. Try again!
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Great lakes was literally just THAT bad. Flying super expensive B1900's doesn't help when your competition is flying Pc-12's with exactly half the fuel burn.


Had they bought PC-12's, ZK would still be here today.


Very short sighted comment. Boutique Air has lost out on many of their EAS bids (especially from DEN) due to only having one engined aircraft. It’s not ideal in a mountainous area to many communities. Hence why they have invested in King Air 350s.

The other issue is weight limitations. GLA’s passengers often had heavier baggage items (ie skis and coolers) that the PC-12 is limited with.

GLA had its issues, but solely putting blame on not buying PC-12s wasn’t a sole decision that could have saved them.


:lol: uh, no bud. Try again!


Where are your facts then? Research what I stated and come back with an answer better than a 16 year old would give.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
bomber996
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:21 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:43 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Very short sighted comment. Boutique Air has lost out on many of their EAS bids (especially from DEN) due to only having one engined aircraft. It’s not ideal in a mountainous area to many communities. Hence why they have invested in King Air 350s.

The other issue is weight limitations. GLA’s passengers often had heavier baggage items (ie skis and coolers) that the PC-12 is limited with.

GLA had its issues, but solely putting blame on not buying PC-12s wasn’t a sole decision that could have saved them.


:lol: uh, no bud. Try again!


Where are your facts then? Research what I stated and come back with an answer better than a 16 year old would give.


Great Lakes could have in no way afforded the PC-12. They could barely keep their fleet aloft as it was. None of their aircraft had GPS and at least the 1900s did not have autopilot. Air Traffic Control would constantly have to vector aircraft for shortcuts. If you cannot afford GPS, how could you afford a much newer aircraft? This not even considering the debt they defaulted on back in 2015.

http://www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/Great ... 73861.html

They were doomed when they pulled 10 seats out of their 1900s. Only a matter of time once they did that.

Peace :box:
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:27 am

bomber996 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

:lol: uh, no bud. Try again!


Where are your facts then? Research what I stated and come back with an answer better than a 16 year old would give.


Great Lakes could have in no way afforded the PC-12. They could barely keep their fleet aloft as it was. None of their aircraft had GPS and at least the 1900s did not have autopilot. Air Traffic Control would constantly have to vector aircraft for shortcuts. If you cannot afford GPS, how could you afford a much newer aircraft? This not even considering the debt they defaulted on back in 2015.

http://www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/Great ... 73861.html

They were doomed when they pulled 10 seats out of their 1900s. Only a matter of time once they did that.

Peace :box:
What do the seats have to do with it? They were EAS routes that wouldn't fill a 19 seater anyways. They were bid as such and subsidized.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:51 am

RJNUT wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
bomber996 wrote:

Great Lakes could have in no way afforded the PC-12. They could barely keep their fleet aloft as it was. None of their aircraft had GPS and at least the 1900s did not have autopilot. Air Traffic Control would constantly have to vector aircraft for shortcuts. If you cannot afford GPS, how could you afford a much newer aircraft? This not even considering the debt they defaulted on back in 2015.

http://www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/Great ... 73861.html

They were doomed when they pulled 10 seats out of their 1900s. Only a matter of time once they did that.

Peace :box:
What do the seats have to do with it? They were EAS routes that wouldn't fill a 19 seater anyways. They were bid as such and subsidized.

I assumed they pulled the seats in order to operate under PART 135 which had lowered pilot qualifications. Someone help me out there?!

Yah they did. But then they bid the EAS with 9 seat planes and asked for cost + 5% so really the seats had no effect either way.
 
RJNUT
Posts: 1827
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 1999 1:58 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:52 am

32andBelow wrote:
bomber996 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Where are your facts then? Research what I stated and come back with an answer better than a 16 year old would give.


Great Lakes could have in no way afforded the PC-12. They could barely keep their fleet aloft as it was. None of their aircraft had GPS and at least the 1900s did not have autopilot. Air Traffic Control would constantly have to vector aircraft for shortcuts. If you cannot afford GPS, how could you afford a much newer aircraft? This not even considering the debt they defaulted on back in 2015.

http://www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/Great ... 73861.html

They were doomed when they pulled 10 seats out of their 1900s. Only a matter of time once they did that.

Peace :box:
What do the seats have to do with it? They were EAS routes that wouldn't fill a 19 seater anyways. They were bid as such and subsidized.

I assumed they pulled the seats in order to operate under PART 135 which had lowered pilot qualifications. Someone help me out there?!
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Great Lakes (ZK) suspends operations

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:10 am

RJNUT wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
bomber996 wrote:

Great Lakes could have in no way afforded the PC-12. They could barely keep their fleet aloft as it was. None of their aircraft had GPS and at least the 1900s did not have autopilot. Air Traffic Control would constantly have to vector aircraft for shortcuts. If you cannot afford GPS, how could you afford a much newer aircraft? This not even considering the debt they defaulted on back in 2015.

http://www.kgwn.tv/home/headlines/Great ... 73861.html

They were doomed when they pulled 10 seats out of their 1900s. Only a matter of time once they did that.

Peace :box:
What do the seats have to do with it? They were EAS routes that wouldn't fill a 19 seater anyways. They were bid as such and subsidized.

I assumed they pulled the seats in order to operate under PART 135 which had lowered pilot qualifications. Someone help me out there?!


You are correct.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos