Revo1059
Topic Author

UAL 808 diverted

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 pm

"cockpit issue". diverted back to PEK. Any info on what the issue was?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cockpit-issue-ua-flight-turns-around/

33lspotter

Re: UAL 808 diverted

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm

This warranted a post on TPG...?

ncflyer

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:44 pm

I’ve always assumed when something like this happens they need to send the plane “home” empty and there would have to be some downstream cancellations? I can’t imagine there’s much slack in the system with an asset worth so much money?

ual747den

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:25 pm

ncflyer wrote:
I’ve always assumed when something like this happens they need to send the plane “home” empty and there would have to be some downstream cancellations? I can’t imagine there’s much slack in the system with an asset worth so much money?

Not necessarily, there are plenty of maintenance options for the 787 in Asia if it is something that UA cannot handle itself in PEK as far as fixing the aircraft..
The downstream problems for scheduling may or may not be that much of a problem depending on many factors. In this case with it being a UA flight into IAD I would imagine that there will be minimal downstream issues. UA will be able to resolve any problems fairly quickly since it is a large hub and there are plenty of options for passengers. I can't give you exact information obviously since I'm not there but I would imagine that these passengers will just be re-accommodated on other flights since it sounds like the aircraft will just miss the one rotation.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

ncflyer

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Yep UA has two flights PEK to iAd tomorrow.

strfyr51

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 pm

ual747den wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

Not necessarily, there are plenty of maintenance options for the 787 in Asia if it is something that UA cannot handle itself in PEK as far as fixing the aircraft..
The downstream problems for scheduling may or may not be that much of a problem depending on many factors. In this case with it being a UA flight into IAD I would imagine that there will be minimal downstream issues. UA will be able to resolve any problems fairly quickly since it is a large hub and there are plenty of options for passengers. I can't give you exact information obviously since I'm not there but I would imagine that these passengers will just be re-accommodated on other flights since it sounds like the aircraft will just miss the one rotation.

If they can't fix the airplae in China we have a very fine Maintenance team based at Narita in Japan and a team at Guam or even Hawaii if it comes to it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos