Bricktop

Re: Most unique long-haul movement(s) at your local airport

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:39 pm

JFK: UN Week is pretty cool.

TWA772LR

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:13 pm

For DEN I'd say Edelweiss. For IAH, if this were 13 years ago I'd say PIA, but we don't really have that many distinct carriers, aside from the Antonov operators.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Crackshot

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm

qf002 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
No long haul at BNE? What are you on about?

Crackshot has got his comma in the wrong place (should be after the and, not before) but is clearly referring to the POM-BNE service not being a long-haul one rather than making a comment about BNE itself.

:checkmark:

Arion640 wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
Crackshot wrote:
My local airport is BNE, and whilst it's not long-haul at all, we have the pleasure of hosting the only scheduled 767 passenger service to Australia since QF/NZ retired their's (PX from POM). As for long-haul, we are also the only BR served destination in Australia/New Zealand.

Doesn't BNE-LAX on QF still exist?

Yes, and that's actually the only remaining 747 route between Australia and LAX, with Qantas now flying the A380 from SYD/MEL and United/American with the 787. BNE-LAX will be all 787 by the end of the year though.

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Bricktop wrote:

JFK used to run PPT-JFK-CDG service, which while any international route in/out of NY is hard to call unique, was pretty cool to have that around.

neomax

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 pm

axiom wrote:
Hardly a unique equipment type, but I can't help getting excited every time I see WK's A333 touch down at my home airport of TPA after the long haul from ZRH. That livery! Somehow, the exoticism of this airline and route still tickles me after years of service, even if it's not a particularly significant service in the scheme of things.

I'd second that, indeed a quirky but fantastic route!

CrimsonNL

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 pm

For me that's clearly AMS-PBM on Surinam's PZ-TCR

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

globetrotter94

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 pm

For Osaka-Kansai (KIX/RJBB), Japan, I'd have to say Aircalin (Air Caledonie Internationale) to Noumea, New Caledonia. Air Tahiti Nui also used to come many years ago, but not anymore.

For my other home airport of Kolkata, India (CCU/VECC), not much unique any more other than the Bhutanese carriers (DrukAir--KB). But back in the day, used to have a whole host of odd airlines like Royal Jordanian, Royal Brunei, Balkan Bulgarian, Tarom Romanian, etc. etc.
6E, 9W, AF, AI, B6, BA, BI, BR, CA, DN, GA, IC, JL, KL, KU, NH, QR, SQ, TG, TK*, UA, VS

neomax

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:00 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
For IAH, if this were 13 years ago I'd say PIA, but we don't really have that many distinct carriers, aside from the Antonov operators.

Man, I wish they would come back. :frown:

mjgbtv

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:23 pm

BTV gets some interesting stuff. I have seen some long Global/Gulfstream flights, including one from one of the Moscow airports.

Military charters to/from ANC and HIK, as well as various places in Europe.

Quite a few ferry flights heading to/from Europe via Atlantic Canada or KEF.

Senegal 001.

And the occasional white 757 from who knows where...

AaronPGH

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Runway28L wrote:
At my home airport PIT, up until 2016 we had a DL 752 to CDG on a seasonal basis.

So far for 2018 we will have:
DL 763 to CDG (seasonal)
DE 763 to FRA (seasonal)
WW A320neo/A321 to KEF
QR 77F to LUX

Hopefully I can catch the QR 77F again but unfortunately it arrives very early in the morning and it's only 2x weekly. Makes for getting a photo of it very difficult. :frown:

Hopefully we can finally add those scheduled China charter flights to this list later this year. That'd definitely be unique.

aeromoe

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 pm

oskarclare wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
My local airport is BNE, and whilst it's not long-haul at all, we have the pleasure of hosting the only scheduled 767 passenger service to Australia since QF/NZ retired their's (PX from POM). As for long-haul, we are also the only BR served destination in Australia/New Zealand.

No long haul at BNE? What are you on about?

LAX, YVR, AUH, DXB, PEK, ORD/SEA/DFW soon

Medium:

SIN, BKK, HNL, PVG, NRT, CAN, HKG, MNL, KUL, DPS, SGN (2019), TPE

Maybe you all should reinterpret how Crackshot is wording his statement. He is obviously referring to the fact the only scheduled 767 passenger service BNE hosts is "not long-haul at all", not making a statement that BNE doesn't host long-haul services at all. At least that is how I am interpreting his statement...if I am wrong I willingly accept that.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

tomcat

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 pm

At BRU, the most interesting flight ever must have been the flyby of the NASA 747 carrying the Enterprise space shuttle. This took place on June 5, 1983 on her flight back from Le Bourget airshow. At the time, I was a child and I didn't know that this would happen but I was lucky enough to see the 747 for a couple of seconds from home (located in Brussels), while she was flying away from the runway 25R after the flyby. From the sound I knew a 747 was approaching, so I had a look towards the point I knew I would see her, low in the sky and between buildings. What a surprise I got to suddenly see an aircraft and a spacecraft flying together in front of my eyes!

dxBrian

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I lived on Guam from 2001 through 2005 working for Continental Micronesia.

Towards the end of Concorde operations, Air France ran some around the world tours in the Concorde. They would operate from SYD to GUM, spend some time on the ground for the passengers to shop and sight see, then the aircraft would depart GUM for NRT.

BWIAirport

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Aside from being one of the two US "Launch destinations" for Wow Air, BWI gets an AN-124 every couple years, including today.
https://www.flightradar24.com/10ffa4c1
Down where I go to school near ROA the pickings are slim, with the short runway and 1,100' elevation not being terribly conducive to anything exciting. We got Trump's 757 when he was campaigning down here, some cargo A300s, but the biggest scheduled passenger service is on Delta's A319, which is occasionally a 717. Every once in a while a SY 738 operates a charter flight for a school.
Next flight: 3/1 DL2834 BWI-ATL B739
3/1 DL661 ATL-STT B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

DrewFOC

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm

I’m a Torontonian but I was born in Fuzhou and lived there for quite a few years. I still check on news about FOC every now and then. While not long-haul, the other day I was quite suprised to find that HU operates a scheduled 787 flight from PEK (HU7695). MU does FOC-PVG-JFK with a 777-300ER (which, strangely, isn’t on FOC’s Wikipedia page). I got to try their J class last year on the short FOC-PVG leg-a full meal was served in less than 1.5h and the ticket cost only like $20 USD more than Y! Otherwise, MF uses its 787s on intercontinental flights from FOC (JFK and SYD).

Cunard

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 pm

33lspotter wrote:
Cunard wrote:
MAN isn't really unique in the way that the title suggests.

MAN has a fair amount of of long haul flights seen on a daily basis from 17 different airlines, I wouldn't regard that as being unique considering that it is United Kingdom's third busiest airport with long haul operations.

It is true MAN does not have a dearth of long-haul activity, but, to be fair, I think the Air India 738s delivery flights Samrnpage mentioned are pretty unique. Certainly jealous of MAN getting CX A359s! We get the 77W here in BOS and that is pretty cool but I do like the CX livery on the A359 frame

Are you actually familiar with Manchester Airport.

For an airport the of it's size and status Manchester has a wealth of long haul activity and I find your use of the term ''dearth'' very odd especially with the addition of ''it is true''!

Manchester Airport see's a wealth of long haul capacity on a daily basis from the following airlines,

Air Canada Rouge
Air Transat
American
Cathay Pacific
Emirates
Etihad
Hainan Airlines
Iraqi Airways
Oman Air
Pakistan Airways
Qatar
Saudia
Singapore Airlines
Thomas Cook Airlines
TUI
Turkish Airlines
United
Virgin Atlantic

THAI are supposedly starting a direct flight from Bangkok on the 01 December 2018 but as yet nothing has been confirmed.

El Al recently loaded a schedule regarding a resumption of a direct flight to Tel Aviv from summer 2018.

Jet Airways have been rumoured for a direct flight to Delhi.

Air China holds route authority for a direct flight from Shanghai but it seems to be taking for ever for it to start.

Bangladesh Biman have recently announced that they intend on returning to Manchester in the near future.

Kuwait Airways have Manchester on their radar and have been quite open about the fact they are looking into starting a flight from Kuwait.

Regardless of the odd Air India B737 in transit through Manchester Airport on it's delivery flight the airport witnesses a ''wealth'' and not in your words a dearth of long haul activity.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

shantahan

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 am

PDX has long-haul pax flights to NRT, AMS, LHR, FRA, and KEF. One can probably make the case that these are not very unique.

PDX did recently get Cathay Pacific Cargo 748s to HKG. I'd consider this the most unique long-haul PDX has right now.

And while not long-haul, Boeing sometimes sends widebodies to get their paint jobs done at PDX, so if you pay attention you can spot the big widebodies that PDX doesn't normally get!
Last edited by shantahan on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

33lspotter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:58 am

Cunard wrote:
Are you actually familiar with Manchester Airport.

For an airport the of it's size and status Manchester has a wealth of long haul activity and I find your use of the term ''dearth'' very odd especially with the addition of ''it is true''!

Manchester Airport see's a wealth of long haul capacity on a daily basis from the following airlines,

Air Canada Rouge
Air Transat
American
Cathay Pacific
Emirates
Etihad
Hainan Airlines
Iraqi Airways
Oman Air
Pakistan Airways
Qatar
Saudia
Singapore Airlines
Thomas Cook Airlines
TUI
Turkish Airlines
United
Virgin Atlantic

THAI are supposedly starting a direct flight from Bangkok on the 01 December 2018 but as yet nothing has been confirmed.

El Al recently loaded a schedule regarding a resumption of a direct flight to Tel Aviv from summer 2018.

Jet Airways have been rumoured for a direct flight to Delhi.

Air China holds route authority for a direct flight from Shanghai but it seems to be taking for ever for it to start.

Bangladesh Biman have recently announced that they intend on returning to Manchester in the near future.

Kuwait Airways have Manchester on their radar and have been quite open about the fact they are looking into starting a flight from Kuwait.

Regardless of the odd Air India B737 in transit through Manchester Airport on it's delivery flight the airport witnesses a ''wealth'' and not in your words a dearth of long haul activity.

I said it is true that MAN does NOT have a dearth of long-haul activity (meaning it does not lack long haul carriers) which makes the Air India 737s interesting to me. And yes I am actually familiar with MAN — I have relatives in Lancashire who travel often and follow the airport’s developments myself. Perhaps you should read the post more carefully before posting a presumptive condescending reply.

DeltaRules

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 am

CMH saw a chartered Open Skies 757 in 2010 when the Columbus Blue Jackets played a pair of games against the San Jose Sharks in Stockholm.

Other than that, CVG or DTW weather diversions. There was a DL A330 bound for DTW diverted to CMH a few weeks ago due to weather.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

33lspotter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 am

mjgbtv wrote:
BTV gets some interesting stuff. I have seen some long Global/Gulfstream flights, including one from one of the Moscow airports.

Military charters to/from ANC and HIK, as well as various places in Europe.

Quite a few ferry flights heading to/from Europe via Atlantic Canada or KEF.

Senegal 001.

And the occasional white 757 from who knows where...

Love these pics from BTV, I was surprised to learn that VT's biggest city saw a GLEX come in from VCE a month ago. Wonder where that 5Y 744 went off to. Will keep monitoring FlightAware to see what comes in now that I know that there have been TATL movements there.

Virtual737

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:47 am

[Grammar police] Nothing can be more or less unique than anything else. Uniqueness doesn't have varying degrees, so an item is either unique or it isn't. Other examples would be "dead" or "perfect". I cannot be more dead than someone else, although many would say I'm less perfect than most.[/Grammar police]

BOH sometimes sees the Qatar Amiri flight 747-8 BBJ and I believe its older sister 747SP used to be based there. I've not lived in the area for a few years so things might have changed but they were a nice change to the usual narrow bodies and GA traffic.

77H

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am

HNL and KOA see an interesting assortment of aircraft. Both see decent amounts of new aircraft deliveries and end of life ferries from around the Pacific Rim. Also a fair amount of unique firefighting aircraft flying in between CA/US and AU. Very rarely in HNL we see some Antonov movements.

77H

mjgbtv

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm

33lspotter wrote:
Love these pics from BTV, I was surprised to learn that VT's biggest city saw a GLEX come in from VCE a month ago. Wonder where that 5Y 744 went off to. Will keep monitoring FlightAware to see what comes in now that I know that there have been TATL movements there.

That 5Y 744 went to AEX.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:18 pm

About 1983-4, one of Omaha's nouveau millionaires who apparently couldn't spend money fast enough chartered Concorde to fly him and some of his buddies OMA-LHR. Every TV station in town showed it landing.

33lspotter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
About 1983-4, one of Omaha's nouveau millionaires who apparently couldn't spend money fast enough chartered Concorde to fly him and some of his buddies OMA-LHR. Every TV station in town showed it landing.

:rotfl:

EWRandMDW

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Back in the early 1980s EWR had one BA and one AF Concorde arrive within an hour of each other. If memory serves, the reason was bad weather at JFK. At that time EWR had very limited long-haul service. It was cool to watch them land from the enclosed observation area of the North Terminal (ex main terminal)!

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:50 pm

OA940 wrote:
ATH doesn't really have much in the way of long-haul... Until May that is, because then it gets crazy.

They do have Scoot to Singapore which is pretty unique I think.

OA940

Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:23 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
OA940 wrote:
ATH doesn't really have much in the way of long-haul... Until May that is, because then it gets crazy.

They do have Scoot to Singapore which is pretty unique I think.

Yeah, it's unique in that it's one of 3 year-round long-hauls from ATH. Even though IIRC it's the first European destination Scoot launched, so I guess we have that.
A350/CSeries = bae

csavel

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Bricktop wrote:

Yeah at the risk of sounding like the typical snotty New Yorker, UNGA (UN General Assembly) Week is probably #1 in awesome for spotting - even at Stewart which is where a lot of the VIP aircraft are parked. Of course I work two blocks from the UN so UN Week is big pain in the rear for me personally. They let us work form home b/c it is such a pain.

Other than UN, once when I was flying down to FL to visit relatives, I espied outside my window in the line to take off a Russian IL-62. This was *not* during UN week and it was long after Aeroflot stopped flying those - so that was cool. But in the *olden days* I remember CSA, LOT, and Aeroflot IL-62s.

The unique long-haul for me is Azerbaijan Airlines non-stop JFK-Baku, late A340-500 now a shiny new 787. Flights seem relatively cheap so perhaps a long week-end in Baku is in order.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

flyPIT

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Runway28L wrote:
At my home airport PIT, up until 2016 we had a DL 752 to CDG on a seasonal basis.

So far for 2018 we will have:
DL 763 to CDG (seasonal)
DE 763 to FRA (seasonal)
WW A320neo/A321 to KEF
QR 77F to LUX

Hopefully I can catch the QR 77F again but unfortunately it arrives very early in the morning and it's only 2x weekly. Makes for getting a photo of it very difficult. :frown:

I think the QR 77F is currently the most unique PIT flight, while it lasts. Historically I'd say JAT which had scheduled DC-10 charters to multiple points in Yugoslavia in 89/90.

As far as weather diversions the most unique thing I spotted was a Saudia DC-8 or 707 (can't remember) in the late '80s.
FLYi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos