axiom
Topic Author

Norwegian launches LGW-TPA

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 am

Twice weekly beginning Oct 31 2018. 789 service.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/a ... _169446822

Someone83

Re: Norwegian launches LGW-TPA

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 am

Some other expansions to FLL, MCO, EZE, BOS and LAS as well

https://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressr ... 18-2555585

airtrantpa

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:58 am

Wonder how BA. Will react to this. Get the popcorn and watch the show begin
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA

mcdu

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:17 pm

airtrantpa wrote:

Hopefully BA responds with aggressive pricing and an intent to for the red nosed carrier out of the market.

Murdoughnut

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:42 pm

There's enough traffic to support both services. TPA is spilling 55% of its local originating London pax to Orlando as it is.

mutu

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 pm

airtrantpa wrote:

I am more concerned what this might do to VS LGW operations actually.

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 pm

mutu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

In what way? VS doesn't fly LGW-TPA. And any bleed it pulls from LGW-MCO will be negligible at best.

axiom
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 pm

mutu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

How so? VS has had long enough to start TPA and could have made a go of LGW/MAN on their own terms. Further marginalizing their relevance in the London sun market, I suppose?

pabloeing

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:17 pm

¿When BCN-FLL in a B789?

n92r03

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

airtrantpa wrote:

That was my first thought as well. On one hand I would suggest that BA and Norwegian do not share the same clientele, but on the other hand I think the clientele are more similar than not. Two days vs seven days...I'm inclined to think this is not too much of a concern for BA but we will see.

Shanegill

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Plus don't forget VS are pulling LGW-MCO and moving it to LHR

readytotaxi

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Well hopefully this will drive down prices, clearing CBP at Tampa is a much better exoerience than the zoo that is MCO.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

musman9853

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes, more routes to MCO!
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

dcajet

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Someone83 wrote:
Some other expansions to FLL, MCO, EZE, BOS and LAS as well

https://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressr ... 18-2555585

airtrantpa wrote:

With these increases, Norwegian will offer more seats per week on the London-Buenos Aires route than BA, for almost 3 decades the only operator on the route.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

peanuts

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:29 pm

In essence, TPA's most dependable international carrier (BA) has been challenged now from multiple angles recently. LH, WK, FI, now DI.
Apparently, in this economy, they're still doing fine from what I hear and from what they charge...
Their ace card could be a switch from LGW to LHR and offer more connections. We're not there yet though.

If anything, these TPA international expansions continue to be an assault on SkyTeam's Tampa region frequent flyer base. Big time.
Last edited by peanuts on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skipness1E

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 pm

LGW Daily long haul by airlines 2018S
BA 12 772
DI 10 789
VS 5 A330/ B744 EQV

Virgin is slightly down on the 13 years I have been down South, BA is at 1.4 times it's 2005 figure pre Open Skies when IAH,ATL,DFW all moved to LHR. DI is not all net new but strong growth from a single daily B788 in 2014. My key take out is that Virgin has declined in both number of flights and downsizing some routes to the A333 and latterly the A332. I do wonder if we'll ever really see VS A350s at Gatters. As for DI, they're in markets that VS said could only work out of LHR, on that score, I suspect VS may be right even today.

mutu

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 pm

axiom wrote:
mutu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

How so? VS has had long enough to start TPA and could have made a go of LGW/MAN on their own terms. Further marginalizing their relevance in the London sun market, I suppose?

Well I was thinking they are not a particularly profitable carrier to start with, and their LGW flying programme has been a key under pin of their business. MCO can lose out to TPA here for them.

Not saying it wont hurt BA but a slightly different passenger mix, and the ability to cut and paste capacity to retain profit helps. With a shortage of frames and a list of new destinations they would like to open, were TPA to become a marginal route the 777 could be deployed elsewhere

But as an aside it appears Norwegian are attracting new traffic to long haul markets and at some destinations served by Norwegian and the legacies, there is no evidence of a material switch from legacy to N. Some yes, but nothing serious (yet)

peanuts

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:48 pm

mutu wrote:
axiom wrote:
mutu wrote:

But as an aside it appears Norwegian are attracting new traffic to long haul markets and at some destinations served by Norwegian and the legacies, there is no evidence of a material switch from legacy to N. Some yes, but nothing serious (yet)

How is this measured?
Just anecdotally speaking, I'm finding more and more people with great professional careers and money in the bank who are opting for the most frugal way to cross the pond. It's become a sport, so to speak. I'm not exaggerating. At parties it's considered a badge of honor on who scored to lowest fare to Europe. (There are CEO's, doctor's and lawyers in these groups. Air travel is a true commodity)

FlyerTalkUserNa

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Murdoughnut wrote:
There's enough traffic to support both services. TPA is spilling 55% of its local originating London pax to Orlando as it is.

It was announced last week that the state will issue an RFP soon for privately developed high-speed rail between Orlando and Tampa. An unsolicited proposal from Brightline prompted the RFP so there's definite interest.

Will be interesting to see what the spillage is between the two airports if that happens.

seansasLCY

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Shanegill wrote:

Are they? This hasn't been announced and checking the VS website for flights next year still shows LGW. They are moving LAS to LHR but not MCO.

rajincajun01

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
Shanegill wrote:

Are they? This hasn't been announced and checking the VS website for flights next year still shows LGW. They are moving LAS to LHR but not MCO.

And none of this has to do with this thread: MCO, VS, LAS, LHR...
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

zakuivcustom

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm

airtrantpa wrote:

Does it matter? By the time flights start on the route, Norwegian is probably owned by IAG :stirthepot: :stirthepot:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

axiom
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm

peanuts wrote:
In essence, TPA's most dependable international carrier (BA) has been challenged now from multiple angles recently. LH, WK, FI, now DI.
Apparently, in this economy, they're still doing fine from what I hear and from what they charge...
Their ace card could be a switch from LGW to LHR and offer more connections. We're not there yet though.

If anything, these TPA international expansions continue to be an assault on SkyTeam's Tampa region frequent flyer base. Big time.

One wonders if DL will launch TPA-AMS at some point. Rumors abound... but also many, many reasons why this wouldn't happen, too.

n92r03

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:46 pm

peanuts wrote:
mutu wrote:
axiom wrote:

How is this measured?
Just anecdotally speaking, I'm finding more and more people with great professional careers and money in the bank who are opting for the most frugal way to cross the pond. It's become a sport, so to speak. I'm not exaggerating. At parties it's considered a badge of honor on who scored to lowest fare to Europe. (There are CEO's, doctor's and lawyers in these groups. Air travel is a true commodity)

It certainly has. A quick look at Norwegian's website shows an economy seat round trip from TPA-LGW-TPA for less than $600 USD.

FA9295

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:51 pm

mcdu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

Hopefully BA responds with aggressive pricing and an intent to for the red nosed carrier out of the market.

I doubt it. BA is generally very conservative when it comes to route planing.

ckuschel

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:52 pm

This is great news. I usually drive down to FLL from TPA to catch the Norwegian flight out of there to London. British Airways fares are always sky high out of TPA.

FA9295

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:54 pm

CrawleyBen wrote:
Also some other changes to note.

Austin and Seattle going seasonal, and Oakland being dropped down to 3x flights per week. Chicago also going down to 4x per week.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... mpa-route/

Cheers

Ben

Not surprised about Seattle going seasonal. Seattle - London is very competitive already as it is with VS/DL with a daily flight and BA with up to two daily flights in the summer months...

CrawleyBen

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Also some other changes to note.

Austin and Seattle going seasonal, and Oakland being dropped down to 3x flights per week. Chicago also going down to 4x per week.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... mpa-route/

Cheers

Ben

Flyingstump

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Although I would never turn down new air service, Norwegian may be slightly detrimental to TPA in its efforts to procure additional international air service. With their arrival lowers the chances of procuring an airline like Thomas Cook or Virgin Atlantic to start service to TPA at all. As an airline, it would likely be more attractive to start MAN-TPA if you had already have success with LGW-TPA, but that will likely be off the table with DI's entrance (And MAN seems to be high on TPA's list). This may also hurt FI's planned expansion as well.

I'm happy that TPA was able to attract another new carrier that will provide competition, lower fares, and stimulate the London-Tampa market, though. Congratulations to TPA

Arion640

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

Does it matter? By the time flights start on the route, Norwegian is probably owned by IAG :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Or Lufthansa. That would stir up the pot even more.

Norwegians been quite a headache for BA so far, with LH backing that would really make things interesting.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

FLYKTPA

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Flyingstump wrote:
Although I would never turn down new air service, Norwegian may be slightly detrimental to TPA in its efforts to procure additional international air service. With their arrival lowers the chances of procuring an airline like Thomas Cook or Virgin Atlantic to start service to TPA at all. As an airline, it would likely be more attractive to start MAN-TPA if you had already have success with LGW-TPA, but that will likely be off the table with DI's entrance (And MAN seems to be high on TPA's list). This may also hurt FI's planned expansion as well.

I'm happy that TPA was able to attract another new carrier that will provide competition, lower fares, and stimulate the London-Tampa market, though. Congratulations to TPA

I don't think Norwegian will hurt the chances of getting MAN service. It's a great opportunity and Thomas Cook serves plenty of U.S. destinations solely from MAN.

In my opinion, service to MAN will end up being TPA's next long-haul route, unless Norwegian adds CDG, OSL or CPH first.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

NCaviationfan

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:26 pm

peanuts wrote:

That was my first thought too. Although, having read this site for years, I would think (based on airliners.net commentary) that there would be little to no chance of BA burning a LHR slot on a sun/leisure route even if the TPA route had developed a business following.

I lived in Tampa for over a decade and so, so, sooooo badly wanted to take BA to points in Europe with a transfer in LGW as it was the only European carrier at the time. It just never worked out as BA didn't fly to the cities I wanted to go to from LGW and that would have required an airport transfer in London. As if! That always sent me to Delta with the transfer on the U.S. side through Atlanta or JFK.

I did fly BA one-way in Club World from LGW to TPA one time and the entry through U.S. Customs in Tampa was a BREEZE!! I was home in 35 minutes from stepping off the plane having lived in South Tampa.

BA will still have the upper hand though in my opinion by offering the consistency of daily, year-round service that Norwegian will not match - at least initially.

neomax

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:41 am

The most exciting part about this isn't DY to LGW, it's knowing what it symbolizes for the future. TPA finally has a real shot at getting routes like CDG, FCO, and MAD that were once a pipe dream.

It's so exciting to see my home airport grow!

PIEAvantiP180

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:21 am

Fares are super cheap. Great to see another airline here in TPA. Just checked mid November wed to wed flight and for 3pax it's 1198eur all in for the cheapest fares. Last time I flew BA to connect onward to ZAG was just under a thousand just for me for the round trip tpa lgw tpa. Now I'm trying to convince the wife to make London our November getaway. Still hoping for a DL flight to either AMS or CDG for more options for one stop flights back home and rest of EU.

Boeing74741R

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:04 am

axiom wrote:
mutu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

VS still get a lot of business via Virgin Holidays for their LGW flights. I agree though that they have had long enough to start TPA if they so wished - the Virgin Group must surely have data on how many of their customers book holidays to Gulf Coast destinations to determine the size of the market - but then MCO is within 2hrs drive and some British holidaymakers tend to combine an Orlando trip with a few days in the Gulf Coast.

mcdu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

They're already responding in a way by increasing the seating in the Y cabin to 10-abreast on the 777's out of LGW. It was marketed as enabling them to be more competitive with Norwegian seat cost-wise. Whether this actually brings fares down remains to be seen, but I'm personally not convinced it will.

PIEAvantiP180 wrote:
Fares are super cheap. Great to see another airline here in TPA. Just checked mid November wed to wed flight and for 3pax it's 1198eur all in for the cheapest fares. Last time I flew BA to connect onward to ZAG was just under a thousand just for me for the round trip tpa lgw tpa. Now I'm trying to convince the wife to make London our November getaway. Still hoping for a DL flight to either AMS or CDG for more options for one stop flights back home and rest of EU.

The timing of the route launch seem strange. Is there much demand for Brits to visit the Gulf Coast during the winter months and vice versa to the UK?

skipness1E

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 am

Shanegill wrote:

I think you mean LAS? Or a seasonal BGI addition.

PIEAvantiP180

Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:15 am

Boeing74741R wrote:
axiom wrote:
mutu wrote:

VS still get a lot of business via Virgin Holidays for their LGW flights. I agree though that they have had long enough to start TPA if they so wished - the Virgin Group must surely have data on how many of their customers book holidays to Gulf Coast destinations to determine the size of the market - but then MCO is within 2hrs drive and some British holidaymakers tend to combine an Orlando trip with a few days in the Gulf Coast.

mcdu wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

They're already responding in a way by increasing the seating in the Y cabin to 10-abreast on the 777's out of LGW. It was marketed as enabling them to be more competitive with Norwegian seat cost-wise. Whether this actually brings fares down remains to be seen, but I'm personally not convinced it will.

PIEAvantiP180 wrote:

The timing of the route launch seem strange. Is there much demand for Brits to visit the Gulf Coast during the winter months and vice versa to the UK?

Yes, many Brits visit the gulf coast and Orlando area during the winter time. My parents to this day have Brit neighbors who own a house here in the bay area since I was a kid two doors down from them. They come every year for a few months during summer and winter months. Talking to them they say they are among many who do the same every year.

Max Q

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:08 am

As a long time T Bay Area resident I’m happy to see this

Always been convenient to take BA nonstop to LGW but they have been taking advantage of their monopoly for too long

Their prices have been outrageous on this route for too long and competition is welcome
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos