spinotter

Re: Delta Air Lines Announces 2018 September Quarter Profit

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Just for the health of the planet, I hope that every airline keeps their planes as long as possible.

That doesn't make much sense.

Getting rid of older planes for new tech, sends metal back into industrial sections where it's needed, thus decreasing the need for new mining; while allowing modern aircraft (that consume far less fossil fuels and create far less air pollution) made primarily from synthetic materials on more energy-efficient production lines, to take their place.

If there were no new planes, there would be no mining for that purpose, right? Yes, new technology can help reduce the burden on the environment, but the best solution is for all of us to travel much less and to do most of our traveling by foot and by bicycle.

Dldiamondboy

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Looks like the placate Diamond Medallion Million Milers with the fake upgrade cabin strategy is working well for them.

spinotter

Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Dldiamondboy wrote:
Looks like the placate Diamond Medallion Million Milers with the fake upgrade cabin strategy is working well for them.

Can you explain that? Is DL worse than UA and AA in that respect?

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 am

spinotter wrote:
If there were no new planes, there would be no mining for that purpose, right?

...there'd also be no more world economy.

So keeping that in mind: while I'm guessing you're going for a point with such rhetoric, I'm at a complete loss for what logic could possibly be behind it. :confused:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jagraham

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:18 am

[threeid][/threeid]
LAX772LR wrote:
jagraham wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Yeah, the fact that essentially everything you just mentioned has a direct replacement either on order, or already being delivered, at DL.

Not sure how that realization keeps eluding you. :confused:

All of those planes will be around at least 7 more years. Some much more.

Once again, how is that effectively different than AA and especially UA? ...each of whom have some 20yr+ aircraft that aren't going anywhere in the next few years either.

They aren't buying more than a couple of used aircraft whereas DL has entire fleets brought used. And what other than a few A319s does AA plan to keep for 20+ years?

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:49 am

jagraham wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
LAX772LR wrote:
jagraham wrote:

All of those planes will be around at least 7 more years. Some much more.

Once again, how is that effectively different than AA and especially UA? ...each of whom have some 20yr+ aircraft that aren't going anywhere in the next few years either.

They aren't buying more than a couple of used aircraft whereas DL has entire fleets brought used. And what other than a few A319s does AA plan to keep for 20+ years?

What "entire fleet" of model has DL bought used?

Um, you realize that AA has no intention of replacing its 77Es any time soon, some of which are already hitting 20.

Do you also now realize that DL's A32x, MD88s, MD90s, and 717s already have replacements on order and being actively delivered, do you not?

jagraham

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jagraham wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
LAX772LR wrote:

What "entire fleet" of model has DL bought used?

Um, you realize that AA has no intention of replacing its 77Es any time soon, some of which are already hitting 20.

Do you also now realize that DL's A32x, MD88s, MD90s, and 717s already have replacements on order and being actively delivered, do you not?

AA may change its spots . . time will tell.

As for DL, all 717 S are used. The CSeries will not replace the 717 for the next decade, it is for shifting more flying to mainline, and some replacement of MD80s where support issues have made replacing them critical.
The MD90s were brought used except for the first 16. Although DL is not inducing any more MD90s, they are not going away anytime soon, as was discussed ad nauseam regarding the V2525-D5 overhauls in Christchurch.
With 752s, of the 111 still flying. 25 were brought used.
767s have been aging out. So before when there was over 70 763ERs, close to 20 were used. Now all that remain is 7 ex-Gulf Air planes.
Gotta go, will do the A320s later. But you should get the point - DL is in a league of its own regarding purchasing used aircraft for revenue service. Even those approaching 20 year old AA 77Es and the older UA 77As have been with one airline their entire careers. Not that UA and AA won't buy used aircraft but it's onesey twosey for them.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:16 am

jagraham wrote:
But you should get the point - DL is in a league of its own regarding purchasing used aircraft for revenue service.

Yet you keep focusing on acquisition (which has nothing to do with my original statement) while missing the keystone point in the discussion relative to what was initially stated:
that (1) all three CURRENTLY HAVE aging 2decade-old aircraft, (2) with nearly all of those aircraft having replacements already ordered and/or being delivered, (3) save for the majority of their 777s.

jagraham

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:34 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
jagraham wrote:
But you should get the point - DL is in a league of its own regarding purchasing used aircraft for revenue service.

Yet you keep focusing on acquisition (which has nothing to do with my original statement) while missing the keystone point in the discussion relative to what was initially stated:
that (1) all three CURRENTLY HAVE aging 2decade-old aircraft, (2) with nearly all of those aircraft having replacements already ordered and/or being delivered, (3) save for the majority of their 777s.

I introduced older planes into this discussion. Therefore its my definition. Unless the OP wishes to override me . .

Dldiamondboy

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:41 pm

spinotter wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:

I do not fly AA or UA very much as I am a DM million miler charter member (2010). You may or may not know that Delta has eliminated first class upgrades. They may still say they offer them but it is very difficult for Delta's very best customers to get upgraded. Delta has been telegraphing this strategy since 2015 and the whole fake upgrade cabin was created to placate folks like me that spend north of $ 80-90K with Delta on annual basis. Ed has said on many occasions especially investor calls that Delta appreciates their customers who give them a lot of money on a regular basis but prefer customers who will pay extra cash for the seat upfront regardless of medallion status. I am sure that UA and AA are pursuing the same screw your best customer strategies. This will all end when the next economic down turn occurs and DL,UA and AA will be forced back into being loyal to their best customers.

klakzky123

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Dldiamondboy wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:

I do not fly AA or UA very much as I am a DM million miler charter member (2010). You may or may not know that Delta has eliminated first class upgrades. They may still say they offer them but it is very difficult for Delta's very best customers to get upgraded. Delta has been telegraphing this strategy since 2015 and the whole fake upgrade cabin was created to placate folks like me that spend north of $ 80-90K with Delta on annual basis. Ed has said on many occasions especially investor calls that Delta appreciates their customers who give them a lot of money on a regular basis but prefer customers who will pay extra cash for the seat upfront regardless of medallion status. I am sure that UA and AA are pursuing the same screw your best customer strategies. This will all end when the next economic down turn occurs and DL,UA and AA will be forced back into being loyal to their best customers.

Huh? I'm a DM and I've been upgraded on every domestic flight this year. I know they sell first class seat upgrades now but if you're a DM the odds of being upgraded are still extremely high. It's just everyone else below DM has increasingly worse odds of getting upgraded.

winginit

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Dldiamondboy wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Dldiamondboy wrote:

Screw your best customer strategies? Sorry, but as is often the case, it's percieved as a screw your best customer strategy by those who think they're among the airlines' 'best' customers but actually aren't. If you're not very very frequently sitting in paid premium, it's highly likely that the airline doesn't consider you among it's 'best' customers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos