mcdu
Topic Author

Southwest flight diverted due to human heart left on board

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:14 pm

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2298616002

This is an odd occurrence. I can understand the return to the departure airport for the heart that was left on board. They need to get to the recipient ASAP. What is puzzling is why the plane change and 5 hour delay over a simple return to the field? Can’t imagine even an over weight landing inspection taking 5 hours to complete.

Hopefully this was not the same baggage handler that was filmed throwing fragile cargo that left the heart in the cargo hold.

sw733

Re: Southwest flight diverted due to human heart left on board

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:17 pm

The article (which may have been updated) says that there was an unrelated mechanical issue and a new plane was needed.

Flighty

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Usually this type of cargo flies in the cockpit.

Armodeen

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:28 pm

The flight got all the way out to Yellowstone before turning around, with a total flight time of 3hrs. That plus 1h 23 from Sacremento and 2h 18 turn around in SEA is a total time of 6h 41m. Plus an absolute minimum of 30-45mins prior to departure at Sacremento.

Sadly this mistake means the organ was very unlikely to be viable in the end.

kiowa

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Flighty wrote:

I don’t think so.

Dfthu

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Flighty wrote:

When I was flying down to ATL on a Delta MD-90 they had human organs ready for transport in the cargo hold. It was the first thing they pulled out.

kalvado

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Dfthu wrote:
Flighty wrote:

When I was flying down to ATL on a Delta MD-90 they had human organs ready for transport in the cargo hold. It was the first thing they pulled out.

Second that. A box labeled "human organ - kidney" went into the hold at ATL. It looked too big to fit into cockpit without creating some issues. BTW, I did check after the flight, we didn't have "lifeguard" callsign..

rbavfan

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:09 pm

So sad. I hope the heart survived for transplant.

bradyj23

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm

kiowa wrote:
Flighty wrote:

I don’t think so.

It can be either. Depends on size.

Seabear

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Holy crap. I never dreamed that human organs traveled commercial. Whenever it's portrayed in TV shows, the organs invariably travel by jet air ambulance, then by helicopter straight to the hospital roof.

filejw

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:11 pm

kiowa wrote:
Flighty wrote:

I don’t think so.

Most depend on airline...used to do it all the time.

INFINITI329

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Flighty wrote:

No

rbavfan wrote:
So sad. I hope the heart survived for transplant.

They must be packed to survive transport for 72 hours

Seabear wrote:
Holy crap. I never dreamed that human organs traveled commercial. Whenever it's portrayed in TV shows, the organs invariably travel by jet air ambulance, then by helicopter straight to the hospital roof.

Happens way more than you think...blood, organs, body parts, urine you name it. Very common on an individual basis you'll handle some sort of human specimen at least 2x-3x a day. On a system-wide airline scale well over 1,000x a day.

B757Forever

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 pm

kiowa wrote:
Flighty wrote:

I don’t think so.

At DL I have seen numerous transplant organs carried in the cockpit. I specifically recall them placing a container behind the copilot marked "human eyes".
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

dfwjim1

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:13 pm

B757Forever wrote:
kiowa wrote:
Flighty wrote:

I don’t think so.

At DL I have seen numerous transplant organs carried in the cockpit. I specifically recall them placing a container behind the copilot marked "human eyes".

Does the captain have the authority to decline having those items in the cockpit?

aemoreira1981

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 pm

How was this not noted at the original destination? Typically this is considered stat. Where one really has to be on his or her toes is if such is being transported on an international flight. This is something I learned last year in a blood banking course.

tjwgrr

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Heart One? :duck:

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

USAirKid

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:57 pm

The more interesting conundrum is where the heart was headed. It wasn't going to a hospital in the Seattle region. From the Seattle Times: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... t-onboard/

But no Seattle-area hospitals said they were involved. Spokeswomen for regional organ-procurement organizations in Washington and California both said they never use commercial flights for heart transplants.

smokeybandit

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Black market heart?

deebee278

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Flighty wrote:

As I recall, human organs can ride in the cockpit but dry ice cannot. If the organ is packed in dry ice, it has to be put elsewhere.

tcfc424

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:48 pm

When I worked as a ramper at United, all of our training and SOP's stated that no cargo traveled in the flight deck, specifically noting that included organs. Now, in practice, 100% of the time I handled such cargo, the captain refused to let it fly anywhere BUT the flight deck. YMMV.

buzzard302

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 pm

So in the end, no one really knew where the heart was supposed to go. Sounds about as organized as my workplace haha. Semi unusual story here, hope they figured out what was going on.

jayunited

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 pm

kiowa wrote:
Flighty wrote:

I don’t think so.

Years ago when I was on the ramp I can remember there being occasions when live human tissue was loaded on the flight deck. I think it had something to do with dry ice and the amount of dry ice. If the total amount of dry ice exceeded 2.5 pounds at that point the shipment could not be loaded in the passenger compartment which included the flight deck. Granted its been few years since I've worked the ramp but back then we always loaded human tissue for transplant in the door and would place sever bags perhaps 3 bags around it to keep it from shifting during flight. It was loaded in the doorway position so it was the first thing to come off the aircraft. Normally with UA and human tissue for transplant the person picking up the package was always there at SPD counter (that is what UA called it before the merger) after the merger the name changed to Quickpak (and no there is no "C" in the name). If the tissues wasn't at the counter within 30 minutes of the flight blocking at the gate either the ramp lead or supervisor was getting a phone call questioning if we ad seen the package. So it seems to me in this situation not only did Southwest ground staff miss the package, but the company picking up the package was late arriving to the airport themselves. I find it hard to believe if someone was there to accept this heart for transplant that this aircraft would have been allowed to depart with it still onboard.

mjzair

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Two things. No one claimed to need the heart in the Seattle area, so, what was really in the box, was it really a heart, or possibly something nefarious? Or, have some bad apple ramp workers found a new way to smuggle contraband from one city to another. It seems to me more likely that someone would skip picking up a box of, lets say cocaine, then someone forgetting a human heart.
Second, aint no way an organ is riding in the cockpit with me. If I cannot open the box to see what is in it, it aint going to be in the cockpit.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 pm

mjzair wrote:
Two things. No one claimed to need the heart in the Seattle area, so, what was really in the box, was it really a heart, or possibly something nefarious? Or, have some bad apple ramp workers found a new way to smuggle contraband from one city to another. It seems to me more likely that someone would skip picking up a box of, lets say cocaine, then someone forgetting a human heart.
Second, aint no way an organ is riding in the cockpit with me. If I cannot open the box to see what is in it, it aint going to be in the cockpit.

It is a really weird story. If it wasn’t a heart it probably would be better.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

mcdu
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:06 pm

mjzair wrote:

Perhaps no hospital wants the possible legal implications of admitting a heart didn’t get to the intended recipient.

atcsundevil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:12 pm

kalvado wrote:
Second that. A box labeled "human organ - kidney" went into the hold at ATL. It looked too big to fit into cockpit without creating some issues. BTW, I did check after the flight, we didn't have "lifeguard" callsign..

It's actually "medevac" now. It was changed a few years ago for ICAO compliance.

Just curious, how did you check? LiveATC or something? Usually "medevac" is only listed in the remarks, so it wouldn't show on something like Flight Aware or FR24 (unless it's a dedicated medflight, anyway).

B757Forever

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:19 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
B757Forever wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I don’t think so.

Does the captain have the authority to decline having those items in the cockpit?

The captain has the authority to refuse just about any passenger, cargo or anything else loaded onto the aircraft in his command.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

rhody

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I’m a heart transplant surgeon. There’s something wrong about the story.

At a donor operation, a heart can be removed for later use in a patient who needs a heart transplant. The elapsed time from removal from the donor patient to being “sewn in” to the recipient patient ordinarily can be no longer than 4 hours or so....or the heart is not viable.

A surgical team travels from the recipient’s hospital to the donor’s hospital, performs surgery to remove the heart, then travels “home” with the donated heart....and then does operation to implant the heart in the recipient.

Because of the time constraint, all of the air travel is by (nonstop) charter aircraft....never by commercial carrier....and never with a connection!

As others have mentioned above, there is a much more relaxed time constraint for organs such as kidneys. Those organs often are travel as cargo with commercial carriers.

kalvado

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:29 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
kalvado wrote:

It's actually "medevac" now. It was changed a few years ago for ICAO compliance.

Just curious, how did you check? LiveATC or something? Usually "medevac" is only listed in the remarks, so it wouldn't show on something like Flight Aware or FR24 (unless it's a dedicated medflight, anyway).

Just callsigns on flightaware, didn't even think about ATC recordings back then. I saw some flights clearly marked as Lifeguard (red font, icon) previously and expected to see those as well.
BTW, that was a while ago; 3+ years.

twinotter

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm

B757Forever wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

The captain has the authority to refuse just about any passenger, cargo or anything else loaded onto the aircraft in his command.

Technically true, but that fact doesn't mean the captain can't be called on the carpet to explain decisions while in command of somebody else's airplane.

buzzard302

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:53 pm

rhody wrote:
I’m a heart transplant surgeon. There’s something wrong about the story.

At a donor operation, a heart can be removed for later use in a patient who needs a heart transplant. The elapsed time from removal from the donor patient to being “sewn in” to the recipient patient ordinarily can be no longer than 4 hours or so....or the heart is not viable.

A surgical team travels from the recipient’s hospital to the donor’s hospital, performs surgery to remove the heart, then travels “home” with the donated heart....and then does operation to implant the heart in the recipient.

Because of the time constraint, all of the air travel is by (nonstop) charter aircraft....never by commercial carrier....and never with a connection!

As others have mentioned above, there is a much more relaxed time constraint for organs such as kidneys. Those organs often are travel as cargo with commercial carriers.

That's interesting information. The national news just said there was no patient waiting for this particular heart, so maybe it was not intended for a live donor after all.

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:59 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
B757Forever wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I don’t think so.

Only if he/she wants to be plastered all over Judge Jeanine and The View. I can't imagine anyone being such a jerk. And the airline would certainly be within their rights to terminate them for abuse of power and the damage they caused to the image of the company.

BobbyPSP

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:45 am

I worked for America West at SFO ‘96-97 as a CSR and most definitely an organ was transported into SFO in the flightdeck. You couldn’t miss the container. Biohazard stickers as well as “organ for transplant” (if I remember correctly)

crj900lr

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

Only if he/she wants to be plastered all over Judge Jeanine and The View. I can't imagine anyone being such a jerk. And the airline would certainly be within their rights to terminate them for abuse of power and the damage they caused to the image of the company.

Captain has final say on what goes on his/her aircraft.

Abuse of power? Damage caused to the image of the Company?, Yeah ok, let me say it one more time, Captain has final say on what goes on his/her aircraft.

WayexTDI

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:30 am

crj900lr wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Abuse of power? Damage caused to the image of the Company?, Yeah ok, let me say it one more time, Captain has final say on what goes on his/her aircraft.

Sure does. And HR has final say on his employment with said aircraft operator if they disagree with his final say.

TTailedTiger

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:33 am

crj900lr wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

You're telling me if the captain decides to throw off a passenger because he/she doesn't like that passenger's brand of luggage that management will just go along with it? No, they won't. There must be a valid reason for refusing service to a passenger or parcel. You are living in a fantasy world. I guess you don't remember that United captain that had a meltdown earlier this year.

admanager

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:45 am

The heart was not destined for a transplant but for harvesting the valves. There is a time limit on the time for the valves to be removed. When the WN aircraft returned to SEA, the time left was 12 hours, so while the heart could have still made it to the final destination with time to spare, returning to SEA ensured the valves could saved and potential save a life or two.
Rhody was right to be suspicious of the initial story.

crj900lr

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You're telling me if the captain decides to throw off a passenger because he/she doesn't like that passenger's brand of luggage that management will just go along with it? No, they won't. There must be a valid reason for refusing service to a passenger or parcel. You are living in a fantasy world. I guess you don't remember that United captain that had a meltdown earlier this year.

We are talking about items being carried in the flight deck, look at the post which started this that I commented on. It's obvious neither of you work in the industry, fantasy world? yep I guess your right considering I've been in the industry for over 15 years, but your right, what would I know.

goboeing

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:51 am

Flighty wrote:

I've had a heart at least twice and both times it was in the cargo.

I did have a set of eyes in the cockpit once. Obviously the joke was made about it being good that there's an extra set of eyes up there with us, albeit not those of a jumpseater.

The first heart transport, I remember being a little surprised that it just sat on the belt loader while I was doing the walk-around, after all the bags had been unloaded and taken to baggage claim. Chit chatting with a ramper during the turn, he said he'd had a similar thought initially but after a few of them and other organs over the years, it's not like Hollywood might make you think it is with the box being whisked away and someone sprinting into the ER with it straight from the jet. The surgery is scheduled for 4PM? We're on the ramp at at airport at 11AM, the transport to the hospital simply hasn't arrived yet. Just another package -- an important one though.

a320fan

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 am

I remember QF doing a promotional television series on their operations a few years ago and I recall them showing the transport in the flight deck of both an organ and live kangaroo joeys getting relocated
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

USAirKid

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 am

admanager wrote:
The heart was not destined for a transplant but for harvesting the valves. There is a time limit on the time for the valves to be removed. When the WN aircraft returned to SEA, the time left was 12 hours, so while the heart could have still made it to the final destination with time to spare, returning to SEA ensured the valves could saved and potential save a life or two.
Rhody was right to be suspicious of the initial story.

Here's a follow up news article: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ed-around/

The heart was taken to LifeNet Health, a Renton-based tissue bank. LifeNet was notified by the courier that the heart was delayed, but that it would be received within the time frame required. Hearts must be received within 48 hours after the donor’s death, said Doug Wilson, LifeNet executive vice president. He said the tissue bank often receives shipments through commercial flights.

The heart was received 12 hours before it would have been unusable. “Despite the detour, all is well,” Santana said.

LifeNet would have received the heart with about 15 hours left for processing if it had been unloaded at the correct time. The three-hour delay from the time the plane took off, turned around and then landed back at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport brought that down to 12 hours.

If the plane had flown to Dallas on time and then immediately flown back, the processing window would have been cut down to less than seven hours.

Its still kindof amazing that this didn't get off the plane the first time in Seattle.

crj900lr

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:59 am

WayexTDI wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Sure does. And HR has final say on his employment with said aircraft operator if they disagree with his final say.

It more then likely wouldn't even come close to that. There would be meetings and conference calls about it with the pilot who made the decision, along with union representation, and in the end they would probably agree that next time, depending on the situation at hand, better judgement should be used. Nobody is losing their job over it unless the pilot happens to have a history of doing this with no facts/answers to back it up, and even then I doubt it would happen. I'm not sure what industry you are in but where I'm at it takes more then just HR to say someone is fired/terminated/released from work.

TTailedTiger

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:01 am

crj900lr wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
crj900lr wrote:

We are talking about items being carried in the flight deck, look at the post which started this that I commented on. It's obvious neither of you work in the industry, fantasy world? yep I guess your right considering I've been in the industry for over 15 years, but your right, what would I know.

You said the captain could throw a passenger off for any reason and that simply isn't true. Have some respect for others and admit your mistake. I wasn't the only one to call you out on it.
Last edited by TTailedTiger on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

crj900lr

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:03 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You sad the captain could throw a passenger off for any reason and that simply isn't true. Have some respect for others and admit your mistake. I wasn't the only one to call you out on it.

I did? And where was this?

steveinbc

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:06 am

I was going to suggest it was either a SFO flight and start to croon, " I left my heart in San Francisco". Or I was going to propose that it was Michael O'Leary's but he hasnt got one. So I think I won't make any comment at all. Since either of those statements would be in poor taste.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

notaxonrotax

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:13 am

crj900lr wrote:

Yeah ok, let me say it one more time, Captain has final say on what goes on his/her aircraft.

That is all well and good for that particular moment.
I also have ultimate say in certain operations in my work; doesn`t mean to say that I don`t have to have a darn good story to tell my boss if there are commercial comebacks.

If a Captain pisses off a customer for no good reason and the situation escalates.....there will be consequences.
Especially if this happens on a regular basis, you know; by power-tripping guys / gals that can`t deal with the stripes on their shoulders.

So, while technically true about the "final say".....a Captain can`t make whatever call as he or she pleases without expecting serious questions if that call then appears to be the wrong one.
I know that when I`m bounced for unfair reasons I would fight the airline all the way up the food-chain and / or go public with it......and I don`t think I´m the only one.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

CanesFan

Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:59 am

B757Forever wrote:

It’s always good to have an extra set of eyes in the cockpit.

Newark727

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 am

Edgar Allen Poe could not be reached for comment...

FlyHossD

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:27 am

Cabin inspection? As I recall - at least at my former carrier - a cabin and a flight deck inspection was required at each crew change. So how was this overlooked (i.e. someone didn't complete the required inspection?). In training, we were taught that such an inspection was a FAA requirement. Is that not correct?

OR - Was it not a crew change? In which, the crew somehow forgot the heart was onboard...?

One more thing - after 9/11, we weren't allowed to carry any human tissues for transplant in the flight deck.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 am

Newark727 wrote:
Edgar Allen Poe could not be reached for comment...

I had the same thought!

“Villains!” the Captain shrieked, “dissemble no more! I admit the deed! — open the cargo compartment! — here, here! — it is the beating of his hideous heart!”

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos