Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Carpethead

Re: Chicago Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Would be great if SQ did something like SIN-KIX-ORD.

Planeboy17

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:37 pm

drdisque wrote:
kordcj wrote:
Anyone know what AC’s plans are for ORD? With the departure of the E-190 between this year and next, could we see the return of the A319s or even the CS-300s (what’re they in Airbus terms?) to the airport? Are their E gates big enough to accommodate the larger aircraft? They’re pretty tucked away in the corner as is.

AC has operated the A-320 into one of their gates for their YVR flight, so at least one gate is capable of handling an Airbus. However, I expect most of the E-190 flights to go to E-175s.

Yes they definitely have the room there. They’ve been using the E gates since the late 90s with Airbus and even DC9s back then. Of course they didn’t have that new gate off the corner of the terminal back then but I don’t think that would preclude them from using larger aircraft at their gates. I can’t remember the gate designation.
They are currently showing operating 8 190 nonstops to YYZ this summer so I don’t think they would reduce those all down to 175s. Maybe they can upgrade UA flights on the route which shows 7 flights ranging from 145 to a 738. Hopefully they all go A220s but I’m guessing AC still doesn’t know. It took a while but YYZ used to be all 175s as well so hopefully they’ll continue to use mainline aircraft.
YUL is showing 5 175s and YVR 2 CRJ9s.
It be nice to see them upgrade the YVR flights to A220s or 319s.

Planeboy17

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Does anyone know if Bahamasair (UP) has operated any flights to ORD. When I passed through T5 last week I saw a UP flight on the departure board but couldn’t verify that a flight actually flew. I saw in the UP to IAH thread that there has been some issues at UP lately but no mention of the ORD flight on that thread. I looked on their website and they list ORD as a destination but when I tried to book a flight every day of next week there were no flights.

gabik001

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 am

Bahamasair did some flights to ORD some years ago. Personally I took some pictures of B732 and B735 of Bahamasair at ORD but those flights were single charter flights. What I remember last flight of UP to ORD was like 2 years ago.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

jcwr56

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 am

UP had one charter flight late last year. So what you’re seeing is their logo on the ticket counter wayfairing signs. WOW is still in the system too.

Planeboy17

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:44 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
UP had one charter flight late last year. So what you’re seeing is their logo on the ticket counter wayfairing signs. WOW is still in the system too.

No, this was definitely on the departure board. I had just gotten upstairs from clearing customs and just casually looked at the board. It showed the Bahamasair in the blue and yellow and NAS but no gate or time.
It may just be a canned flight plan that shows up even though the flight doesn’t operate. I thought I read somewhere months back how UP was trying to do more US routes and ORD was under consideration.

jcwr56

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

No, this was definitely on the departure board. I had just gotten upstairs from clearing customs and just casually looked at the board. It showed the Bahamasair in the blue and yellow and NAS but no gate or time.
It may just be a canned flight plan that shows up even though the flight doesn’t operate. I thought I read somewhere months back how UP was trying to do more US routes and ORD was under consideration.

I need to have someone look at that then, as it shouldn't be up on the departures board.

There's wayfaring signage that shows TC zone's (5A-5F) and then the arrival/departure monitors.

For you spotters, BA is bringing in the BOAC paint job on the 295/294 this Wednesday. I'm sure all of you on the O'Hare Spotters FB group are already aware.

yeogeo

Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:19 am

Carpethead wrote:

Totally agree. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

chicawgo wrote:
The new deicing pad is open!! Is this the first day? Look at fr24 and you’ll see them all there!

I saw it because of your head's up. thanks! Great to have it operational.

yeogeo

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Carpethead wrote:

Less than two hunded miles off the "perfect" (not real world) routing -not bad! ...or would Singapore accept only the non-stop?
Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com) - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

Planeboy17

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 am

yeogeo wrote:
Carpethead wrote:

Less than two hunded miles off the "perfect" (not real world) routing -not bad! ...or would Singapore accept only the non-stop?
Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper (http://www.gcmap.com) - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

Does SQ have fifth freedom rights for this routing though?
Also, KIX is a tough market. Only US nonstops are on the west coast; LAX, SFO and SEA.
ORD had a KIX nonstop back around the late 90s early 2000s on JAL with a 744. I think it operated 4w.
I think it stopped after 9/11 but maybe even earlier.
UA operated a KIX flight as well in the mid 90s I think but didn’t last very long either.

United787

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Not sure how long the ORD-KIX flight lasted but I know I did it on Dec. 10, 2005 - UA 877 - 772ER - N788UA.

I know KIX is expensive to operate from but for the life of me can't understand how KIX can't support more flights. The metro area is 19,000,000 people (#16 in the world just below NYC) and has the 9th largest GDP in the world (bigger than Saudia Arabia and Switzerland).

FTMCPIUS

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Off-topic inquiry here:

One of my cousins participated in the opening public walk of 9L-27R. I remember him telling me that the crowd was told it would be used for WB landings only (27R), but I saw 737s landing on 9L this morning. Did he misunderstand or did ORD only later begin to handle 9L landings?

Also, I thought 10R-28L was for 10R landings only, but saw 10R takeoffs a few days ago.

So, same question.

Thanks

ORDfan

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:17 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
Hi Timberwolf - is this something you are able to share?

timberwolf24 wrote:
SQ will never do ORD-Europe-SIN again. That is the reason why they are not at ORD currently. I had a very interesting conversation with an SQ sales rep about SQ and ORD.

This was back in 2007 when I was the air department manager for a tour company and we were signing the new contract with SQ. There were rumors on a.net that SQ was going to restart ORD service. When I asked the SQ rep if there was any truth to the rumor, I was not expecting his answer. This was his response.

“The reason SQ is not in Chicag has nothing to do with demand, as demand was and is there. SQ has a bad reputation in Chicago. As you know the flight was operated via AMS, our clients told us they would love to take the flight, but the routing need to be changed. Going via AMS is backwards and the long way to go to SIN. If you go via the pacific or non stop, we would be on the flight tomorrow. Then 9/11 happened and we pulled the fight. Again it had nothing to do with demand.
When we restarted ORD, the route again was via AMS. Our Clint’s said, we told you the last time we will not take the fight due to the routing via AMS. The there was the SARS outbreak and the route was ended. Again it had nothing to do with demand.
It also had nothing to do with not have a UA code share, it would be nice but we don’t need it. SQ has no one to blame but themselves and how we handled the market. We shot ourself in the foot. Now our customers ask why should we take you, when in 6 months to a year and you’ll pull out of the market again. Chicago is a very sore subject in Singapore.”

I never expected that response.

Personal I think SQ will return to ORD in the next several years, non stop or via Japan or something. But not via the Atlantic.

Thanks for the feedback. So much has changed since 2007 though, I really wish they would take a look again. I realize the timing was bad the first time around in ~2001, but if they thought the demand was there in '07, it's there in spades today. I believe 500-600 seats/week is an easy fill, not just for SIN O&D, but particularly when lumping in possible connecting traffic to BKK, KUL, MNL, and CGK.

I don't think any potential O&D flyer today holds any ill will towards SQ, and I highly doubt any connecting traffic would even remember the previous AMS routing. There's a whole generation of folks who have retired since SQ last flew here.

If me and my colleagues are any subjective example, we would certainly welcome them back with open arms. If they are doubtful, I can put their corp accts department in touch with more than a few multi-nationals here would be eager to give them another shot. :bigthumbsup:

yeogeo

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
Off-topic inquiry here:

One of my cousins participated in the opening public walk of 9L-27R. I remember him telling me that the crowd was told it would be used for WB landings only (27R), but I saw 737s landing on 9L this morning. Did he misunderstand or did ORD only later begin to handle 9L landings?

Also, I thought 10R-28L was for 10R landings only, but saw 10R takeoffs a few days ago.

So, same question.

Thanks

Hardly off-topic; it's the Chicago Aviation Thread, after all.
Don't know who told you the one about 9L-27R being used for widebodies only, but none of the seven runways are used for only one kind of jet, although you'd have to say 10C/28C tends to get the most wide bodies. Maybe this person said that it would NOT be used for wide bodies - I've never seen anything bigger than a 737 on 9L-27R. If anything, it get more than it's share of RJ's and is in use almost constantly (this from a habitual user of flightradar24).

If you watch regularly one of the radar sites you'll have seen nearly every conceivable combination of runways in use - especially in this winter weather, although I'd have to say 've never seen takeoffs on 10R before.

Experts on the thread will be able to refine my observations. :thumbsup:

airstatdfw

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 am

FTMCPIUS wrote:
Off-topic inquiry here:

So, same question.

Thanks

When 27R first opened they didn’t use it for East operations. But after 10C/28C opened they use 9L/27R all the time, I have seen everything land on that Rwy expect the 748 or A380. I have not seen 10R takeoffs except for flight check. Rwy 28L is rarely used to land on as you can not depart 22L if you land on 28L.

FTMCPIUS

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm

yeogeo wrote:
FTMCPIUS wrote:
Off-topic inquiry here:

So, same question.

Thanks

Hardly off-topic; it's the Chicago Aviation Thread, after all.
Don't know who told you the one about 9L-27R being used for widebodies only, but none of the seven runways are used for only one kind of jet, although you'd have to say 10C/28C tends to get the most wide bodies. Maybe this person said that it would NOT be used for wide bodies - I've never seen anything bigger than a 737 on 9L-27R. If anything, it get more than it's share of RJ's and is in use almost constantly (this from a habitual user of flightradar24).

If you watch regularly one of the radar sites you'll have seen nearly every conceivable combination of runways in use - especially in this winter weather, although I'd have to say 've never seen takeoffs on 10R before.

Experts on the thread will be able to refine my observations. :thumbsup:

Prior post messed up.

By WB I meant westbound. I should not have used that abbreviation.

Galvan316

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 pm

With Sydney Australia being announced recently as a "Sister City" to Chicago.

Could this possibly signal the start of air services between SYD and ORD? in some way shape or form, not necessarily non-stop?

Kinda like when the New Zealand All Blacks played a few friendly matches at Soldier Field? etc
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

nomorerjs

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Galvan316 wrote:
With Sydney Australia being announced recently as a "Sister City" to Chicago.

Could this possibly signal the start of air services between SYD and ORD? in some way shape or form, not necessarily non-stop?

Kinda like when the New Zealand All Blacks played a few friendly matches at Soldier Field? etc

QF has stated publicly that BNE-ORD on a 789 will happen if the JV with AA is approved. SYD-ORD is not possible today, but Project Sunrise would bring aircraft capable of flying SYD-JFK/LHR/ORD.

drdisque

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:43 pm

When 9L/27R opened, UA 767's had the numbers to land there, however, on summer days the brakes would be so hot after the long taxi-in to T5 (one even caught fire short of the gate) that UA Flight Ops instructed 763 pilots to say unable if assigned 27R. After that ATC quickly just stopped trying to put them there. The taxi in is now a little less bad but I still don't regularly see 763's on 27R/9L and in fact rarely see anything bigger than a 739 or 321.

Galvan316

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:20 pm

nomorerjs wrote:

QF has stated publicly that BNE-ORD on a 789 will happen if the JV with AA is approved. SYD-ORD is not possible today, but Project Sunrise would bring aircraft capable of flying SYD-JFK/LHR/ORD.

Can you elaborate on what "Project Sunrise" is?

I have heard this many times but I am unfamiliar
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

nomorerjs

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Galvan316 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:

Can you elaborate on what "Project Sunrise" is?

I have heard this many times but I am unfamiliar

https://thepointsguy.com/news/qantas-or ... nrise/amp/

https://skift.com/2019/02/09/qantas-ceo ... ation/amp/

chidino

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:30 pm

To-the-point article on Trib's website about the new de-icing pads:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-biz-ohare-deicing-facility-20190221-story.html

"Size of 17 football fields" has a nice ring to it.

ORDfan

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:19 am

chidino wrote:
To-the-point article on Trib's website about the new de-icing pads:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-biz-ohare-deicing-facility-20190221-story.html

"Size of 17 football fields" has a nice ring to it.

Good stuff...largest deicing pad in America, and 2nd largest in the world... how's about that for bragging rights?! :bouncy:

The folks over at WGN are calling it the "ice rink," haha....I wonder if they coined that themselves or if they are getting it from airports ops folks.

https://wgntv.com/2019/02/22/new-ice-rink-at-ohare/

chidino

Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:23 am

ORDfan wrote:
Good stuff...largest deicing pad in America, and 2nd largest in the world... how's about that for bragging rights?! :bouncy:

Whether curiosity or that second city mentality, I had to check: the deicing pad at YYZ is the largest (65 acres, 6 widebodies w/ 6 staged behind). FWIW, their effort began back around 1996 and was driven almost completely by environmental concerns. https://esemag.com/archives/central-de-icing-facility-at-torontos-airport-largest-facility-of-its-kind-in-the-world/

AmricanShamrok

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:52 pm

drdisque wrote:
When 9L/27R opened, UA 767's had the numbers to land there, however, on summer days the brakes would be so hot after the long taxi-in to T5 (one even caught fire short of the gate) that UA Flight Ops instructed 763 pilots to say unable if assigned 27R. After that ATC quickly just stopped trying to put them there. The taxi in is now a little less bad but I still don't regularly see 763's on 27R/9L and in fact rarely see anything bigger than a 739 or 321.

I occasionally see 757s use 27R for landings and that tends to be the heaviest that uses it. Years ago I saw an EI A330 on approach for 27R once but not since.

kordcj

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:58 pm

chidino wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Whether curiosity or that second city mentality, I had to check: the deicing pad at YYZ is the largest (65 acres, 6 widebodies w/ 6 staged behind). FWIW, their effort began back around 1996 and was driven almost completely by environmental concerns. https://esemag.com/archives/central-de-icing-facility-at-torontos-airport-largest-facility-of-its-kind-in-the-world/

That YYZ de-icing system as described is pretty nice. Does the ORD pad have the same environmental protection setup? Being Chicago I assume it does, but sometimes costs can get in the way of caring about the environment.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

airstatdfw

Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:17 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
drdisque wrote:

I occasionally see 757s use 27R for landings and that tends to be the heaviest that uses it. Years ago I saw an EI A330 on approach for 27R once but not since.

About 2 weeks ago in a snow storm every heavy jet was using it. ETD, EIN, UAE, AAL and UAL were all the ones I saw use it.

emcm541

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:26 pm

Flew out of T-3 for the first time in a few years the other day and I saw that the old American Lounge (can't remember if it was Admirals Club or the old First Lounge) near K19/K20 is still abandoned. Are there any plans for that space? Seems it might be some prime real estate for something: more concessions or a One World Partner Lounge (JAL or Iberia)

chidino

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:17 pm

kordcj wrote:
That YYZ de-icing system as described is pretty nice. Does the ORD pad have the same environmental protection setup? Being Chicago I assume it does, but sometimes costs can get in the way of caring about the environment.

Sort of... from the CDA's press release: "The project was built with sustainability features allowing for deicing runoff to be recycled." So, recovery, yes, but for economics, not environment. Hey, who cares... results are the same, right? :bigthumbsup:

jcwr56

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:13 am

chidino wrote:
kordcj wrote:

Sort of... from the CDA's press release: "The project was built with sustainability features allowing for deicing runoff to be recycled." So, recovery, yes, but for economics, not environment. Hey, who cares... results are the same, right? :bigthumbsup:

Photos are needed...It doesn't have to be snowing to head over to no mans land. :shhh:

ORDfan

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:25 am

emcm541 wrote:
Flew out of T-3 for the first time in a few years the other day and I saw that the old American Lounge (can't remember if it was Admirals Club or the old First Lounge) near K19/K20 is still abandoned. Are there any plans for that space? Seems it might be some prime real estate for something: more concessions or a One World Partner Lounge (JAL or Iberia)

I flew AA domestic a couple weeks back for the first time in a few years as well, and while I can't speak on the lounge in K, I must say: I like what AA has done to T3, overall. I was lucky to be able to fly out of the new L pier (very nice), and I came back through the G concourse, which was a personal first.

That G concourse had a fresh coat of paint, new carpets and chairs in the seating area, the new AA desks, and plenty of natural light and well-integrated storefronts. Construction crews were putting up plywood around G2-G4 so I guess the front-end of the course still needs to be refreshed, but the back end is good to go. I thought to myself: there's nothing wrong with this pier and I'm glad it's not part of Global Terminal/T2 demolition. I'm happy to see T3 get updated and I think it's still very viable for the foreseeable future.

I like the new L pier too, and the only recommendation is maybe some more artwork and flora through the walkway and front-end to spruce up the bare walls. Otherwise, it looks great.

airstatdfw

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:53 am

ORDfan wrote:
emcm541 wrote:

I flew AA domestic a couple weeks back for the first time in a few years as well, and while I can't speak on the lounge in K, I must say: I like what AA has done to T3, overall. I was lucky to be able to fly out of the new L pier (very nice), and I came back through the G concourse, which was a personal first.

That G concourse had a fresh coat of paint, new carpets and chairs in the seating area, the new AA desks, and plenty of natural light and well-integrated storefronts. Construction crews were putting up plywood around G2-G4 so I guess the front-end of the course still needs to be refreshed, but the back end is good to go. I thought to myself: there's nothing wrong with this pier and I'm glad it's not part of Global Terminal/T2 demolition. I'm happy to see T3 get updated and I think it's still very viable for the foreseeable future.

I like the new L pier too, and the only recommendation is maybe some more artwork and flora through the walkway and front-end to spruce up the bare walls. Otherwise, it looks great.

The walls up around G2-G4 is the remodel for Alaska and JetBlue moving to the G concourse. They will also move to Term 2 check in and baggage claim.

chicawgo

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:21 am

airstatdfw wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
emcm541 wrote:

The walls up around G2-G4 is the remodel for Alaska and JetBlue moving to the G concourse. They will also move to Term 2 check in and baggage claim.

That’s exciting!! Finally T2 landslide will feel more alive again! Been so empty lately with just DL and AC

jcwr56

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 pm

Look for airline moves around March 13th and first week of April to G2 and G4.

The bridge installation at L11 is moving along and should be hung around March 4th.

As for the T5 expansion, you’ll start to see movement. This will not be building related, but site work on the new payment to the east that will be done all the way back to M18. This should be finished by the end of 2019.

ORDfan

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 pm

airstatdfw wrote:

I'm glad to hear all that! I'm flying JetBlue at the end of March to FLL, and hope they finish their gate space by that time. Would be great to see.

jcwr56 wrote:
Look for airline moves around March 13th and first week of April to G2 and G4.

The bridge installation at L11 is moving along and should be hung around March 4th.

As for the T5 expansion, you’ll start to see movement. This will not be building related, but site work on the new payment to the east that will be done all the way back to M18. This should be finished by the end of 2019.

Finally! Re: T5. I think I saw some survey work one day early last year while taxi'ing past T5 but haven't seen anything since. Happy to hear some fresh news on that front.

What's going with L11? Is there a new jet bridge going in?

ckfred

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:19 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
I met someone who works at O'Hare and he told me that in terms of airplane movements it was busier 15 years ago than it is now. I found that hard to believe so I checked. He was correct. O'hare's busiest year = 2004 with 972,248 movements. Can anyone explain why it dropped after then? Larger aircraft is my guess.

ORD was suffering through more and more delays. When AA made its first downsizing of the STL hub, the displaced flights were split between DFW and ORD. DFW got mostly mainline flights, while ORD got mostly RJ flights.

The FAA decided to place operations limits on ORD, without DOT formally bringing back slots. Every carrier, except for the foreign carriers, were asked to reduce the number of flights into ORD. IIRC, it was a 10% reduction. I think the hours of 7am to 9pm saw limits as to the number of arrivals and departures. I remember that UA and AA each had a cow, when B6 asked for an exemption to the operations cap, in order to start service.

The interesting thing was that when the far north runway opened, the FAA didn't plan to remove the operations cap. Illinois' congressional delegation started in on the head of the FAA, and the cap was lifted. That was in 2008.

Guess what? Operations didn't really increase for several years. Neither AA nor UA were chomping at the bit to start adding flights to ORD. That was probably due to oil prices being very high until the fall, followed by the financial markets collapse.

AA had gone to the rolling hub operation at ORD, and it wasn't until a year or two after the merger with US before it went back to a banked hub.

United787

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Now that the Chicago Mayoral Election is narrowed down to two candidates, Preckwinkle and Lightfoot, the Elon Musk Express Tunnel becomes less likely. The project may die on it's own regardless of the Mayor but if it doesn't die, Mr. Musk will have a lot more explaining to do before he starts digging...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

I am less worried about the ORD21 project as I think that is a lot more of a known entity since it will paid for with airport fees; no one seems to doubt that, right? Plus, Rahmbo should have an architect hired on before the new mayor starts.

chidino

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:16 pm

United787 wrote:
Now that the Chicago Mayoral Election is narrowed down to two candidates, Preckwinkle and Lightfoot, the Elon Musk Express Tunnel becomes less likely. The project may die on it's own regardless of the Mayor but if it doesn't die, Mr. Musk will have a lot more explaining to do before he starts digging...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

I am less worried about the ORD21 project as I think that is a lot more of a known entity since it will paid for with airport fees; no one seems to doubt that, right? Plus, Rahmbo should have an architect hired on before the new mayor starts.

No worries regarding ORD21: those leases the city signed with the airlines commits everyone to the definitive agreement for Phase I, and the revenue is separate (goes to pay the bond issue). That's a done deal. Thankfully.

As to the Musk tunnel: I never worried about it much, since it didn't involve any of the public's dollars. It gets built, great. It doesn't, it was always a long shot. And, candidly, I think either candidate may well take the same approach -- but, like you said, with a LOT more explaining to do. If Elon's reluctant to do that, then we probably should be skeptical, imo.

ual763

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Unfortunately, Meigs probably won’t be coming back now though. Not to say I ever had any hope to begin with though...
From flying to the NOTAM office

chidino

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm

ual763 wrote:
Unfortunately, Meigs probably won’t be coming back now though. Not to say I ever had any hope to begin with though...

An FYI as to how unrealistic that was: the only candidate (at least prominent... so many, can't be sure) who supported re-opening Meigs was because he insisted the airport would provide between $300 million and $500 million in income. https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/mayor-office-candidate-willie-wilson-2019-election/ (Willie sometimes has problems with the difference between "economic impact" and "income".) He insisted that Meigs could contribute those figures as income to the city's bottom line. So, if you do the math, those were some hellacious landing fees.

Plus, his other financial figures were bogus -- the concert venue is a success, and more importantly hundreds of thousands use it every summer. Willie's a guy who gave away $100 bills to people at a quasi rally/religious service. Yeah, that's illegal (you can't openly buy votes, even in Chicago) but Willie's kind of an eccentric guy and everybody gave him a pass. That'll show you how seriously his candidacy was really taken.

And seriously, folks, Meigs is settled history in Chicago. The vast majority of citizens never used or saw a benefit from it, and they're happy with the park and the quieter museum campus. The only place Meigs lives on is in MFS and aviation discussion boards. There is zero support for this in the city. (OK, not "zero", but I'd bet you couldn't get 25% of the public to support it, and a LOT of people will ardently oppose it.)

jakubz

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 pm

chidino wrote:
ual763 wrote:

An FYI as to how unrealistic that was: the only candidate (at least prominent... so many, can't be sure) who supported re-opening Meigs was because he insisted the airport would provide between $300 million and $500 million in income. https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/mayor-office-candidate-willie-wilson-2019-election/ (Willie sometimes has problems with the difference between "economic impact" and "income".) He insisted that Meigs could contribute those figures as income to the city's bottom line. So, if you do the math, those were some hellacious landing fees.

Plus, his other financial figures were bogus -- the concert venue is a success, and more importantly hundreds of thousands use it every summer. Willie's a guy who gave away $100 bills to people at a quasi rally/religious service. Yeah, that's illegal (you can't openly buy votes, even in Chicago) but Willie's kind of an eccentric guy and everybody gave him a pass. That'll show you how seriously his candidacy was really taken.

And seriously, folks, Meigs is settled history in Chicago. The vast majority of citizens never used or saw a benefit from it, and they're happy with the park and the quieter museum campus. The only place Meigs lives on is in MFS and aviation discussion boards. There is zero support for this in the city. (OK, not "zero", but I'd bet you couldn't get 25% of the public to support it, and a LOT of people will ardently oppose it.)

I hear ya. In a conversation I had last week I mentioned that one of the candidates had suggested re-opening Meigs. I quickly got my head bit off and was accused of looking out for a "rich businessmen's" playground, or something to that effect.
KORD>RJAA>KORD day trip? Why not! The beauty of SA!
Yes, I use ICAO codes
Flown: PA-28, PA-38
Passenger on: A319/A320, A380, 737, 747-400, 757, 767, 777, 787-8/9
Finally got on a 747!

My comment are my own. I don't speak for any company.

ORDfan

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:42 am

chidino wrote:

Haha, this topic came up in the thread a couple months ago when Willie Wilson first mentioned this. I calculated about $11,000 per flight based on Willie's income "projections," LOL - if you can even call them that.

United787 wrote:

I don't foresee either mayoral candidate slowing down anything to do with ORD21 - that train has left the station, full steam ahead, and I don't believe either one has any intention of slowing it down: perhaps there will be more women and minority-owned business sharing in the contract work, but that has been the trend at O'hare for awhile, a la CONRAC.

But as far as the architect goes, I'm not sure... if Rahm's city hall doesn't announce a winner in the next month, my chips will go all in on Studio Gang (already a favorite, in my book) - a local, well-regarded, and a solidly diverse team that features both women and minority-led businesses... seems like a no brainer to me.

chidino

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 pm

A couple of things discovered while looking over the RFQ for design & engineering of The Tunnel:

Here's the "conceptual cross section" of the tunnel:

The separate sterile corridor on the right is to collect int'l passengers from Satellite 1 only. (Presumably, it ends there.)

Although it's still labelled as APM in the diagram, the text continually refers to the ITT -- the Inter-Terminal Train, helping to avoid confusion...

Another pleasant surprise is the bid documents themselves; in the past, standard city docs looked lousy, scanned in at 2 deg off and looking like 6th gen photocopies thrown into a PDF. Whomever is doing prep for CDA on these bid documents did an outstanding job -- a thoroughly professional RFQ. I know SOM is handling architecture at this prelim stage, but does anyone know who's the project management or equivalent provider for the city at this early stage of ORD21 who's making them look more than respectable?

United787

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:14 pm

Thank you for sharing chidino. So, if you are an international pax arriving in Satellite 1, there will be no FIS in Satellite 1? You will have to take the one-way sterile pax walkway (looks like a moving walkway on the left) to the Global Terminal FIS? So you won't be able to take the train? And you could presumably then you could go right back to Satellite 1 on a train if that is where your connecting flight was? Seems less than ideal...I assumed Sat. 1 would have it's own FIS. AA will likely end up with the more ideal gates directly at the Global Terminal...

chicawgo

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:25 pm

United787 wrote:
Thank you for sharing chidino. So, if you are an international pax arriving in Satellite 1, there will be no FIS in Satellite 1? You will have to take the one-way sterile pax walkway (looks like a moving walkway on the left) to the Global Terminal FIS? So you won't be able to take the train? And you could presumably then you could go right back to Satellite 1 on a train if that is where your connecting flight was? Seems less than ideal...I assumed Sat. 1 would have it's own FIS. AA will likely end up with the more ideal gates directly at the Global Terminal...

This is pretty much how all other large international airports have it. Each concourse shouldn’t need its own FIS. You take the walkway to the main FIS. Not at all less than ideal. And yes, some people will then have to take train back to sat 1. Some to sat 2. That’s how these operations work

yeogeo

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:41 pm

This photo the Ukranian cargo carrier Cavok Air just landed on the A-net database - the only An-12 in the O'Hare file.

Had an unusual - to say the least - flight history coming to and going from ORD last December:

Dec4: SQQ (Šiauliai Lithuania)-ESB (Ankara Esenboga airport)-?
Dec5: SSN-YYT-MCI
Dec12: MCI-ORD-YYT-?, ending up in LPA on Dec19.

Gotta love those small cargo operators!

yeogeo

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Hadn't noticed this before (CDA email):

evank516

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Hadn't noticed this before (CDA email):

This is interesting that ticketing/check in will be in Terminal 2, but flights will still arrive and depart from gates in Terminal 3. Luckily they're connected behind security.

United787

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Is AA getting those gates?

kordcj

Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm

I can’t find where I saw this, but anyone else see or hear that Avianca is pulling out of ORD.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos