PHLCVGAMTK

Re: Philadelphia Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:35 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
usairways85 wrote:
United will restart IAD-PHL with 4x daily on two-class aircraft. Starting 5/8/2020.

Interesting I wonder why the change of heart. Still good tho for connections

What connections does IAD-PHL enable that weren't already available through other UA/*A flights out of PHL? Or, for that matter, through ZFV-EWR connections alone?

ams747757

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:50 am

Nice to add that back- I assume by 2 class aircraft they mean the “new” CRJ-550s. Could be nice for connections to points South if you are a star alliance flyer. I looked at UA once for PHL-TPA, and without IAD (which is on the way more or less) and it would have routed me through ORD or IAH- not convenient.

Might also be nice for PHL-Europe if you don’t want to take the train (ZFV) or drive to EWR.

PHLspecial

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Wonder if UA is connecting for the North/South domestic routes or even the Asia flights

strfyr51

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:33 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
phlsfo wrote:
QR713 DOH-IAH diverted to PHL due to flooding at IAH and DFW having no available space. A350-1000 A7-ANG. Hopefully continuing to IAH today based on condition of the airport.

That's pretty funny...an airport the size of DFW not having any available space. :lol:

IAH has been flooded out before as the approaches to the airport are below sea Level and Flood like Crazy. and if airplanes cannot get into IAH? then DFW might be where they have to go as they cannot just divert to any Military Base in the area. IF DFW is full to the Gills? They Might be SOL though? With enough Notice? They would be forced to the nearest Airport with Customs and IAD with Unloading Equipment to deplane the Passengers. IF DFW is full? Then holding them short of approaching the airport is the next best thing. Barring Philadelphia? Might be ATL as they have full time Customs or Chicago (ORD). MSY is right in the same storm track area as IAH,.

PHLspecial

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 am

strfyr51 wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
phlsfo wrote:
QR713 DOH-IAH diverted to PHL due to flooding at IAH and DFW having no available space. A350-1000 A7-ANG. Hopefully continuing to IAH today based on condition of the airport.

That's pretty funny...an airport the size of DFW not having any available space. :lol:

IAH has been flooded out before as the approaches to the airport are below sea Level and Flood like Crazy. and if airplanes cannot get into IAH? then DFW might be where they have to go as they cannot just divert to any Military Base in the area. IF DFW is full to the Gills? They Might be SOL though? With enough Notice? They would be forced to the nearest Airport with Customs and IAD with Unloading Equipment to deplane the Passengers. IF DFW is full? Then holding them short of approaching the airport is the next best thing. Barring Philadelphia? Might be ATL as they have full time Customs or Chicago (ORD). MSY is right in the same storm track area as IAH,.

PHL does have equipment to handle the A350s since PHL sees an A350 daily. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

usairways85

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm

PHLCVGAMTK wrote:
What connections does IAD-PHL enable that weren't already available through other UA/*A flights out of PHL? Or, for that matter, through ZFV-EWR connections alone?

Anything to the southeast of the US and international. Driving to EWR and ZFV are definitely options, but you roll the dice with the operational performance out of EWR.

I've done LAX-IAD-PHL and recently wanted to do PHL-IAD-MSY. Instead I did PHL-IAH-MSY which caused me to backtrack.

PHLspecial

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 pm

My question is why restart IAD-PHL if the route was performing poorly before?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos