aa87
Topic Author

Trying to save Qantas miles - help pls

Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi, I have 50K on Qantas from a bunch of code share flights from 2017-18 (LY). I live in the US, and miles expire in March. I can't seem to find any option to preserve them for another 18 months. Not flying, renting a car or staying in a hotel next few months. Seems all of the online shopping/banking options are only for Australia residents. Any suggestions on how a US resident can earn a few Qantas miles from anything other than flights, cars or hotels ?

Thanks very much.

johns624

Re: Trying to save Qantas miles - help pls

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:27 pm

Why not just rent a car for the weekend?

n729pa

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 pm

I'm a QF FF
Have a read of section 9.2.1 and 9.2.2. of the terms and conditions.
Point do not expire provided the member remains active (within the 18 months).

It is a frequent flyer account so that is the easiest way. I live in the UK so fly BA a lot. ..you're in the US so why not take a AA flight somewhere, it doesn't have to be a QF flight.

You can also book activities on Qantas.com and earn points too, so perhaps book a tourist bus tour around LA or NYC (wherever you live) for example....points are points.
If I got to Berlin for example and fancy doing the hop on hop off bus I buy the ticket via the activities page with my FF number and I pick up 20 points or wherever it is.

Have a read of the Ts and Cs, and see what you think.

Hopefully this is of some help.

dredgy

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Book an AirBnb/hotel through them perhaps. Just the cheapest airbnb shared room for a night, and don't show up.
Or you can download the Qantas wellness app and do some excercise. I think that gives you a couple of hundred.

aa87
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:13 pm

dredgy wrote:
Or you can download the Qantas wellness app and do some excercise. I think that gives you a couple of hundred.

Now THAT's the kind of desperate, creative option I was looking for ! Airbnb also good idea, or some silly local tour.

Much appreciated. I rented from Dollar in FL last week but they don't give QF points. If no other option, may ditch wife and kids and just go on a (partly) free trip to Australia ... better than losing the miles

aa87
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:08 am

In case anyone is still interested, I got the answer. The activities app was good suggestion but like the banking/credit card stuff, only good for Australian residents. Answer is Ebay thru the Qantas online shopping site. I ordered car cabin air filters and next day got Qantas email confirming my $22 is 22 points ... so I'm good for another 18 months or until I figure out how to use the miles ....