leghorn
Topic Author

crj extended A and C checks w.r.t. CRJ200s

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm

There are supposed to be hundreds of parked CRJ200s which have maxed out their hours parked up and not worth investing maintenance in.

Is there anything in this announcement from last year for the CRJ700/900/1000 which would allow the CRJ200s to be brought back in to service?
https://www.bombardier.com/en/media/new ... ercom.html

Dalmd88

Re: crj extended A and C checks w.r.t. CRJ200s

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 pm

I doubt it would have much of an effect on these airframes. Usually a C check is not costly enough to kill an airplane. C checks run in cycles with I think the fourth one being pretty intensive. That would fall every eight years. That check usually is done with a complete cabin retrofit since it all comes out to do the final c check. This is how the Boeing system works, the Bombardier system could be different.

The CRJ might have a major structural inspection at some astronomical cycle/flight hour limit. I know the 757 does. I only know of one airplane in the DL fleet that even came close to it. I think it would have required removing the fuselage form the wings for an x ray of the wing spar area.

On top of that the CRJ200 has just fallen out of favor due to operating costs. The airlines have mostly moved on from the 50 seat market, just like the 19 and 32 seat market.

leghorn
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:20 pm

I look at airfleets.net and see about 8 pages full of stored CRJ100/200.
These planes have practically no worth. If Bombardier were able to extend the service life of them then the airlines storing them (and a lot of them appear to be US airlines) would be left with a plane which has a higher market value which can be sold on to operators in other jurisdictions lower down the food chain, realise some cash and place some orders for CRJ700s, CRJ900, CRJ1000s and even CS100/CS300/A220 where Bombardier still profits from a sale through sale of components.

If premium car manufacturers take care to maintain the residual values of their brand then why can't plane manufacturers.

leghorn
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:25 pm

fuel consumption on a CRJ200 is better than a CRJ700 although on a per seat basis it is higher.
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1355819

I saw that some African countries were preventing turboprops coming in to their country because of snobbery. A CRJ200 would be seen as acceptable even though a Q400 or ATR72 would be a more appropriate plane for the market.

strfyr51

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 am

leghorn wrote:
I look at airfleets.net and see about 8 pages full of stored CRJ100/200.
These planes have practically no worth. If Bombardier were able to extend the service life of them then the airlines storing them (and a lot of them appear to be US airlines) would be left with a plane which has a higher market value which can be sold on to operators in other jurisdictions lower down the food chain, realise some cash and place some orders for CRJ700s, CRJ900, CRJ1000s and even CS100/CS300/A220 where Bombardier still profits from a sale through sale of components.

If premium car manufacturers take care to maintain the residual values of their brand then why can't plane manufacturers.

should Bombardier come up with a life extension program? It would take an Overhaul more than Likely to accomplish it where the Overhaul and Life extension would probably equal the value of a New airplane. Though having said that? I think the CRJ200 would be excellent for Night freight if it could be done on a regional scale where the airplane could hit 2-3 secondary cities inbound to a major hub and sorting center. It might also be a great vehicle for a major airline to move critical parts/Tools/and Personnel for out of service airplanes at remote stations within the lower 48. The service might be good for one company to move multiple Airlines staff and equipment or Logistical items.

leghorn
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm

CRJ700/900/1000 didn't need a conditional overhaul for Bombardier to announce that they would extend the A\C checks.