anthonycII
Topic Author

Pilot/First Officer Preflight Announcement

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:23 am

Greetings,
I'm interested in the history of any or any FAA requirements of the pilot or first officer's pre-flight announcement to passengers. The standard announcement specifically, not those related to weather, equipment issues or safety issues (expected turbulence).

TTailedTiger

Re: Pilot/First Officer Preflight Announcement

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am

I don't think there is any requirement other than the "flight attendants please prepare the cabin for departure, we're number x for departure". Sometimes that's the only thing I hear from the pilots until the initial descent announcement. Some pilots do the bare minimum and some go out of their way to be friendly. Once when taxiing for departure at ATL one of the pilots gave a nice tour and announced the buildings we were passing by.

Passedv1

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 am

The FAA does not require a particular crew member to give the required announcements. They have a list of things that must be briefed to the passengers prior to departure and it is up to the airline through its procedures to determine who must say what. Usually all of the required announcements are performed by the FA or the pre-recorded system.

sw733

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Definitely no requirement that I'm aware of. Although it's fairly rare, I do take a few flights each year with no announcement from the flight deck until after takeoff. Heck, on some short flights, I think I've gone the entire flight without any announcement from the pointy end.

flyby519

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:23 pm

From the pilot point of view, there are times we are saturated with tasks and making PA announcements are skipped so we can focus on other more important items. Also, many pilots feel that the passengers don’t want to hear some long rambling announcement when the pax are busy with their phones/tablets/laptops/TVs/etc.

sw733

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:27 pm

flyby519 wrote:
From the pilot point of view, there are times we are saturated with tasks and making PA announcements are skipped so we can focus on other more important items. Also, many pilots feel that the passengers don’t want to hear some long rambling announcement when the pax are busy with their phones/tablets/laptops/TVs/etc.

I vividly remember a flight where I KNOW I was the only one interested in the pilot's post-takeoff spiel. It was a 60 minute flight and he spent, easily, the first 10 minutes talking about speed, fuel burn, route, weather enroute, etc. etc. He got in to some very technical stuff that, as an aero engineer, I loved...but I knew the people around me were just rolling their eyes.

NWADC9

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Technically the pilots don't have to say a thing. The only regulated announcement besides the safety briefing (done by flight attendants unless the plane is too small to require them then it's the pilots job) is Part 121.571(a)(2): "After each takeoff, immediately before or immediately after turning the seat belt sign off, an announcement shall be made that passengers should keep their seat belts fastened, while seated, even when the seat belt sign is off." Usually the pilots will do this as the sign is turned off but the flight attendants can as well. Company policy may require more announcements for customer service, like the captain's welcome announcement, or for safety requirements like "flight attendants prepare the cabin for departure/arrival" and emergency related announcements.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

Acey559

Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:59 pm

sw733 wrote:
flyby519 wrote:

I vividly remember a flight where I KNOW I was the only one interested in the pilot's post-takeoff spiel. It was a 60 minute flight and he spent, easily, the first 10 minutes talking about speed, fuel burn, route, weather enroute, etc. etc. He got in to some very technical stuff that, as an aero engineer, I loved...but I knew the people around me were just rolling their eyes.

We had a guy like that at American Eagle (Envoy) when I was there. He’d give a 10 minute “welcome aboard” speech and then spend the entire flight intermittently making announcements about things we were flying over. I only flew with him once, but I’m sure all the passengers on our 7am DFW-MKE appreciated being interrupted every ten minutes. :D
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

sixtyseven

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:01 pm

In Canada we have to make a preflight PA informing people if we are going to de-ice. Other than that nothing mandated.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

digitalcloud

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:06 pm

In Europe, it is a legal requirement to state the operator of the flight if the flight is operated by a subsidiary or lease.

sw733

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:38 pm

digitalcloud wrote:
In Europe, it is a legal requirement to state the operator of the flight if the flight is operated by a subsidiary or lease.

Does that need to be done by a pilot, or can it be gate personnel or flight attendants?

nws2002

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 pm

digitalcloud wrote:

It is a legal requirement in the US too, but generally done when the ticket is purchased instead of before the flight. Although I have heard Allegiant gate agents make an announcement when they had to use another airline as subservice.

DualQual

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:15 pm

The first officer is also a pilot.
There's no known cure for stupid

stratclub

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:56 pm

DualQual wrote:

I find that to be a damn fine idea. Don't tell accounting that they "could" sell the F/O's seat for revenue. I could imagine the marketing. Something like: Did you ever have a need to be one of the first 2 people at the scene of an accident?

Flow2706

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 am

There is no legal requirement for a pre flight announcement from the cockpit and if the crew is busy it might be skipped. However, I think especially people who are afraid of flying (according to some statistics more than 50% of the passengers) may be more comfortable if the get a nice calm PA from the cockpit. In case of delays people get angry/annoyed if there is no new PA after around 10-15min or so, so its always good to keep the people updated about delays and reasons for delays, but this is also not a legal requirement.

anthonycII
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:22 am

DualQual wrote:

My apologies, I meant Captain.

digitalcloud

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:25 pm

nws2002 wrote:
digitalcloud wrote:

It is a legal requirement in the US too, but generally done when the ticket is purchased instead of before the flight. Although I have heard Allegiant gate agents make an announcement when they had to use another airline as subservice.

Yes, the same. It is displayed on booking, usually during the gate announcements and once again onboard. easyJet Europe is a good example.

ChrisKen

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Passedv1 wrote:
The FAA does not require a particular crew member to give the required announcements. They have a list of things that must be briefed to the passengers prior to departure and it is up to the airline through its procedures to determine who must say what. Usually all of the required announcements are performed by the FA or the pre-recorded system.

The general convention is that the Captain will give the first announcement of the flight. Pilot flying will give the final announcement prior to descent/landing. Any additional announcements given and performed by the flight deck crew at Captain's discretion.

Cabin Crew/Automated Announcements are usually the ones giving (on behalf of the Captain) the mandated/required safety briefings on all but the smallest of aircraft.

trueblew

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I don't think there is any requirement other than the "flight attendants please prepare the cabin for departure, we're number x for departure". Sometimes that's the only thing I hear from the pilots until the initial descent announcement. Some pilots do the bare minimum and some go out of their way to be friendly. Once when taxiing for departure at ATL one of the pilots gave a nice tour and announced the buildings we were passing by.

Anything more than a request for cabin crew to be seated during the taxi out without the parking brake set is a violation of sterile cockpit safety regulations.

zuckie13

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Just don't forget the FAA mandated minimum of 12 "um"'s while making announcements from the cockpit...

timeless159

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 am

Thankfully I fly cargo now, but when I flew passengers in a CRJ, I flew so many legs that I got sick of making PAs. I believe the company manual stated I "should" make a PA, but there was no FAA requirement. If we were on time and nothing out of the ordinary was happening, no PA. If we were late I'd explain why and end the PA by thanking them for flying [actual airline name]. Out of principle and against company guidance, I would never say UAX or American Eagle. I hoped some passengers would understand their flight was being operated by a dubious subcontractor run by a criminal. And I switched brands so often that I didn't want to screw it up.

TTailedTiger

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:29 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Passedv1 wrote:

The general convention is that the Captain will give the first announcement of the flight. Pilot flying will give the final announcement prior to descent/landing. Any additional announcements given and performed by the flight deck crew at Captain's discretion.

Cabin Crew/Automated Announcements are usually the ones giving (on behalf of the Captain) the mandated/required safety briefings on all but the smallest of aircraft.

Eh, I Only find that to be true about half the time. I assume it's usually the pilot flying that gives the announcement. It's especially easy to tell with a two gender crew. On a flight last month captain was female and FO was male. FO was flying and made the announcement.

aeropix

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 am

Not FAA, but from the TSA there is (or was) a legal requirement for international flights to or from the USA that an announcement must be made informing passengers to 1) Not congregate in groups 2) Use only the lavatories in their cabin and 3) Sit back down whenever the seat belt light is on. This announcement was introduced sometime after Christmas, 2003 ie early in 2004 and is still in force at my airline, and I still hear it on Delta and others when I fly internationally to/from the USA. So I'm not sure if it's actually still a "law" but like most of "security theatre" it has had some amazing sticking power and nobody seems to wish to stop these inane announcements even if the mandate may have expired.

While this announcement has been a legal requirement for 15 years, I seem to remember it being re-enforced a few years ago, perhaps during Trump's laptop ban. Further to this thread, Flight Deck crew are not required to make the announcement (by law - though it is policy at my Company) and it can be delegated to the cabin crew so long as it is made. Listen for it in some format next time you fly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... ueues.html

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Acey559 wrote:
sw733 wrote:
flyby519 wrote:

We had a guy like that at American Eagle (Envoy) when I was there. He’d give a 10 minute “welcome aboard” speech and then spend the entire flight intermittently making announcements about things we were flying over. I only flew with him once, but I’m sure all the passengers on our 7am DFW-MKE appreciated being interrupted every ten minutes. :D

This is all well and good until my inflight movie is interrupted repeatedly through "death by PA". :D
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Balerit

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Only announcement made by SAA pilots is for the cabin crew to cross check the doors for correct arming.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).