Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:08 am

(not my photo)
Image

Look closely at these seats that adorn the theater at the C.R Smith Museum.

See what I see?


FOOT/LEGREST BUTTONS! These seats were the Weber seats that had foot/legrests at one point! Each row of seats visible in this photo has / appears to have the foot/legrest button along with the recline button!

This proves that these seats DID have their foot/legrests removed at one point (with the button remaining on a lot of them ... no idea if they had seats where both the foot/legrest piece(s), AND the button that controls it, were both removed. *sigh* As one mystery is solved, another opens up. Just my luck. :lol: )

I've seen this photo before, but only JUST noticed that the foot/legrest button (and the icon above the button) was there.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Image
Image

These are rare international ads from the 767-223ER which show the initial sheepskin seats which matched the DC10 at the time.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:50 am

Either a Saab 340 or ATR aircraft, Aztec motif as people are calling it:
http://www.departedflights.com/images/A ... d97p1a.jpg
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:26 pm

Image

This is from a late 80s 767-223 safety card. Shows the beige coach seats
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOD-zfw ... thonyJames

Here's a cool video with cabin shots from a 767. MAN-ORD in 1994.
 
Cody
Posts: 2285
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 12:16 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:25 pm

I found an interior shot from the early 1980s of one of the American 747-100's. It was a flight to or from Hawaii. The economy seats did get the blue and beige upholstery that was delivered with the MD-80's, 767's, and 757's. The sidewall panels are brownish which matches the tray tables.

Sorry I can't post the photo.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:02 am

Cody wrote:
I found an interior shot from the early 1980s of one of the American 747-100's. It was a flight to or from Hawaii. The economy seats did get the blue and beige upholstery that was delivered with the MD-80's, 767's, and 757's. The sidewall panels are brownish which matches the tray tables.

Sorry I can't post the photo.


Is it online? If so, can you post a link?
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Mon May 10, 2021 7:09 pm

You can see the seat back in this photo. I have also confirmed with a few people who flew the inaugural flight that it appears the 767 had the slightly different leather F for the first year before they replaced those seats with the wider leather seats from the DC10.

Image
 
N649DL
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed May 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Anybody know the story of the final 727-200 interiors? It looks like some got the full-on blue seats with leather adjustable headrests and others had this "slip on" interior with a padded headrest:

1. "Slip on" version: https://www.airliners.net/photo/America ... Adv/235422

2. Adjustable Headrests (EG: S80): https://www.google.com/search?q=america ... xbOA-4KKGM

Just a little surprised AA would upgrade the 727s ahead of the 757s which started to look really worn in coach by the end of the 2000s.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:59 pm

This is labelled an American DC10 cabin, but I've never seen or heard about it and think it's possibly a mistake. Does anyone recognize this or know what airline it is? It actually looks like it could be and the back bulkhead design looks similiar to their interior before the baby blue and beige one which started with the 767, and the stripe on the overhead bins was red before they changed it to baby blue.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/862720872360080206/
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16006
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:15 am

afcjets wrote:
This is labelled an American DC10 cabin, but I've never seen or heard about it and think it's possibly a mistake. Does anyone recognize this or know what airline it is? It actually looks like it could be and the back bulkhead design looks similiar to their interior before the baby blue and beige one which started with the 767, and the stripe on the overhead bins was red before they changed it to baby blue.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/862720872360080206/


No idea whose colors those are, but it's definitely a DC-10 cabin going by the lights and flat ceiling paneling.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 pm

I've noticed that too, odd / interesting that they updated the interior (even partially/mostly), and had 2 styles of seat for the 727s.

Damn, that reminded me of my lingering curiosity about the 767-323ER (I brought it up much much earlier in the thread, but I am not hunting it down versus just retyping it).

My first ride on a 767-323ER was in Feb 1999, my older bro and I were flying home from California. I distinctly remember these things that seemed similar to the winged headrests that the seat design from the 2000s would have, but were cloth, and had (kinda crappy) velcro straps holding them onto the coach seat... I distinctly also remember having trouble with it falling off a few times.

Anyone else have recollection about similar things? Anyone have any info on whether it was just the 767-323ERs that had them?
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:43 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
You can see the seat back in this photo. I have also confirmed with a few people who flew the inaugural flight that it appears the 767 had the slightly different leather F for the first year before they replaced those seats with the wider leather seats from the DC10.

Image


In the photo of the people in the brace position, I noticed that the carpeting is different too - looks like dashes, rather than white dots.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:37 am

travelsonic wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
You can see the seat back in this photo. I have also confirmed with a few people who flew the inaugural flight that it appears the 767 had the slightly different leather F for the first year before they replaced those seats with the wider leather seats from the DC10.

Image


In the photo of the people in the brace position, I noticed that the carpeting is different too - looks like dashes, rather than white dots.


You're right, the carpet is different. Also in the bottom left pic, if you enlarge the photo you will notice the coach seat has a different design pattern too.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 pm

afcjets wrote:
travelsonic wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
You can see the seat back in this photo. I have also confirmed with a few people who flew the inaugural flight that it appears the 767 had the slightly different leather F for the first year before they replaced those seats with the wider leather seats from the DC10.

Image


In the photo of the people in the brace position, I noticed that the carpeting is different too - looks like dashes, rather than white dots.


You're right, the carpet is different. Also in the bottom left pic, if you enlarge the photo you will notice the coach seat has a different design pattern too.


Yes, I see it too - similar to the bar/stripe pattern we became accustomed to for that cabin design, but much, much thinner bars, and no stripes - each bar looking to be about as thick as the bars that make up each diamond in the "Aztec" seat cloth pattern.
Last edited by travelsonic on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:57 pm

afcjets wrote:
This is labelled an American DC10 cabin, but I've never seen or heard about it and think it's possibly a mistake. Does anyone recognize this or know what airline it is? It actually looks like it could be and the back bulkhead design looks similiar to their interior before the baby blue and beige one which started with the 767, and the stripe on the overhead bins was red before they changed it to baby blue.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/862720872360080206/


Looks like the seats in this commercial, but without the cloth covers on top
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdT5KkwAqM
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:53 pm

travelsonic wrote:
afcjets wrote:
This is labelled an American DC10 cabin, but I've never seen or heard about it and think it's possibly a mistake. Does anyone recognize this or know what airline it is? It actually looks like it could be and the back bulkhead design looks similiar to their interior before the baby blue and beige one which started with the 767, and the stripe on the overhead bins was red before they changed it to baby blue.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/862720872360080206/


Looks like the seats in this commercial, but without the cloth covers on top
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRdT5KkwAqM


So it is American. I am surprised they changed the seat covers sometime in the late 70s or 1980 (from the commercial date) on the DC10 and 747 and where the seats are almost the same color as the original but with new busy patterns added and then again beginning in late 1983 with the 767 launch. I think it looks sorta tacky but I like the original and the blue/beige one. Here is the original Y interior of the DC10 and 747. The seats look the same from the front in the models that show it inside and out. Does anyone know when they changed it? I am guessing 1978 since that's when they retrofitted the DC10 to 2x5x2 configuration in coach

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/482166703830368079/
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:41 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
You can see the seat back in this photo. I have also confirmed with a few people who flew the inaugural flight that it appears the 767 had the slightly different leather F for the first year before they replaced those seats with the wider leather seats from the DC10.

Image


The 727 and DC10 had beige leather into the late 80s and AFAIK it started on those jets right before the 767 launch interior which they began installing fleetwide in coach almost immediately after. The first S80s got red cloth F seats (which didn't last long and might not even have made it to all or even many S80s) yet the new baby blue and beige coach seats, and the DC10 and 727 got beige/tan leather seats during the makeover. I flew two DC10s in January 1988 and they had the beige leather as well as many 727-100 and 727-200 flights throughout the entire year including around New Years Eve and every one of them had beige leather seats. I didn't fly American at all in 1989 but did in January 1990. IIRC the 727-200s still had beige leather, but I flew their 767 for the first time that month, both a two and three class one and all F/J seats were taupe leather (with lambswool too on the three class one), and I flew three DC10s that month where all three had changed to taupe leather from my 1988 DC10 flights. I didn't fly their S80 for the first time until 1991 and it was taupe leather of course so I have no idea if it (or even the 757) got any other color leather seats besides taupe. I didn't fly their 727 again until 1997 (and did several times that year and 1998 too) and they were all taupe. What doesn't make sense to me is why they would launch a new interior fleetwide, where every plane gets the same interior, except three different types of new F seat colors depending on aircraft type. The red S80 F seats didn't last long and were new jets so I understand that could have been from a change in specs from order to delivery date and/or an experiment, but the beige/tan leather seats on the 727 and DC10 lasted approximately half a decade on the DC10 and it seems even longer on the 727.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:43 pm

EDIT:

The 727 and DC10 had beige leather into the late 80s and AFAIK it started on those jets right AFTER (not before) the 767 launch interior.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:19 am

afcjets wrote:
The first S80s got red cloth F seats (which didn't last long and might not even have made it to all or even many S80s) yet the new baby blue and beige coach seats, .


And (if you look carefully at the safety card showing this interior combination) the turquoise, blue, and red striped bulkhead fabric, and the blue (w/ white dot) carpeting of the 1983 or so interior. Interesting, wonder why the MD-82s got the red cloth F seats.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:24 am

afcjets wrote:
The 727 and DC10 had beige leather into the late 80s and AFAIK it started on those jets right before the 767 launch interior which they began installing fleetwide in coach almost immediately after.


If I could take a guess, I'd say near the end of '82 at the earliest, into early 1983? That was around when the 767s started being delivered, and in 1983 they started advertising Business Class (basically, coach seats with more legroom + added amenities at the time from what I gathered watching a commercial on YouTune) - the commercial for that, and a few other 1983 ads showing the same interior that was put in the 767 (seat cloth design, cabin color(s) wise).
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:42 pm

travelsonic wrote:
afcjets wrote:
The first S80s got red cloth F seats (which didn't last long and might not even have made it to all or even many S80s) yet the new baby blue and beige coach seats, .


And (if you look carefully at the safety card showing this interior combination) the turquoise, blue, and red striped bulkhead fabric, and the blue (w/ white dot) carpeting of the 1983 or so interior. Interesting, wonder why the MD-82s got the red cloth F seats.


I am guessing it was a change in specs from order date to delivery date, especially since AA had red F seats at the time on their current fleet. If the whole cabin was delivered in the interior they selected when they placed the order, AA might have changed the F seat as the last part of the refurbishment, and they had to print the safety card before they could fly it. Leaving F seat covers for last as part of refurbishment is something I noticed in Spring of 2001. I flew F class on a transcon 762 from IAD-LAX and the entire plane had the new darker blue cloth seats and the new carpet on the floors and bulkhead including the F cabin. The F seat still had the taupe leather with rust headrest center (initially only for J class) and mauve lambswool seats. I think J might have too. A few days later I flew the return in J class and the seats were no longer taupe leather/lambswool, I can't remember the F seats on that flight though, I think the whole plane was finished though if I had to guess.
Last edited by afcjets on Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:48 pm

travelsonic wrote:
afcjets wrote:
The 727 and DC10 had beige leather into the late 80s and AFAIK it started on those jets right before the 767 launch interior which they began installing fleetwide in coach almost immediately after.


If I could take a guess, I'd say near the end of '82 at the earliest, into early 1983? That was around when the 767s started being delivered, and in 1983 they started advertising Business Class (basically, coach seats with more legroom + added amenities at the time from what I gathered watching a commercial on YouTune) - the commercial for that, and a few other 1983 ads showing the same interior that was put in the 767 (seat cloth design, cabin color(s) wise).


I would guess that too or slightly later because the 762 had just arrived at the end of 1982 and it was the launch for that interior so the other jets in the fleet likely got it a bit later, as opposed to the same day. Please post the links to the 1983 commericals with the new interior, I would love to see them! American has so many commercials on YouTube it's hard to find specific ones sometimes.
 
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm

afcjets wrote:
travelsonic wrote:
afcjets wrote:
The first S80s got red cloth F seats (which didn't last long and might not even have made it to all or even many S80s) yet the new baby blue and beige coach seats, .


And (if you look carefully at the safety card showing this interior combination) the turquoise, blue, and red striped bulkhead fabric, and the blue (w/ white dot) carpeting of the 1983 or so interior. Interesting, wonder why the MD-82s got the red cloth F seats.


I am guessing it was a change in specs from order date to delivery date, especially since AA had red F seats at the time on their current fleet. If the whole cabin was delivered in the interior they selected when they placed the order, AA might have changed the F seat as the last part of the refurbishment, and they had to print the safety card before they could fly it. Leaving F seat covers for last as part of refurbishment is something I noticed in Spring of 2001. I flew F class on a transcon 762 from IAD-LAX and the entire plane had the new darker blue cloth seats and the new carpet on the floors and bulkhead including the F cabin. The F seat still had the taupe leather with rust headrest center (initially only for J class) and mauve lambswool seats. I think J might have too. A few days later I flew the return in J class and the seats were no longer taupe leather/lambswool, I can't remember the F seats on that flight though, I think the whole plane was finished though if I had to guess.


Between 2003 and 2007 I flew between JFK and LAX/SAN at least once a year (family out west :D ). I remember seeing the taup leather/sheepskin Weber 7502s in F with the red headrests, with the darker blue seats in Business Class at least at that point. On one flight, we had a slight delay getting off the aircraft (a backup in the jetway it seemed) so I momentarily sat my butt down in the center F seat - man those things are/were comfy! Somewhere around 2004 I noticed that the F seats had been changed so they were all leather.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:34 pm

travelsonic wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCUp6Gd84ew - The Business Class ad I was talking about

Other 1983 AA ads that show the cabin interior design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5nhHceA5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4krc4thmhc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q-ok_DSOlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFOMy01_UbQ


Thanks, I haven't seen any of these before.
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:38 pm

travelsonic wrote:

Between 2003 and 2007 I flew between JFK and LAX/SAN at least once a year (family out west :D ). I remember seeing the taup leather/sheepskin Weber 7502s in F with the red headrests, with the darker blue seats in Business Class at least at that point. On one flight, we had a slight delay getting off the aircraft (a backup in the jetway it seemed) so I momentarily sat my butt down in the center F seat - man those things are/were comfy! Somewhere around 2004 I noticed that the F seats had been changed so they were all leather.

I knew they kept the taupe leather seats in F on the 757 for a long time, but didn't realize they left the F leather/lambswool for that long on the 762. They should haver never gotten rid of them in my opinion.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 pm

afcjets wrote:
travelsonic wrote:

Between 2003 and 2007 I flew between JFK and LAX/SAN at least once a year (family out west :D ). I remember seeing the taup leather/sheepskin Weber 7502s in F with the red headrests, with the darker blue seats in Business Class at least at that point. On one flight, we had a slight delay getting off the aircraft (a backup in the jetway it seemed) so I momentarily sat my butt down in the center F seat - man those things are/were comfy! Somewhere around 2004 I noticed that the F seats had been changed so they were all leather.

I knew they kept the taupe leather seats in F on the 757 for a long time, but didn't realize they left the F leather/lambswool for that long on the 762. They should haver never gotten rid of them in my opinion.


I wonder how hellish the upkeep on that lambskin covering was.


I wish I could find a photo of the 767-323ER coach cabin circa 1999 - to confirm that I am not crazy about remembering seeing velcroed-on headrests akin to those that the cabin redesign would have, on the seats (and remembering mine falling off several times - the velcro was crap.
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2713
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:16 am

travelsonic wrote:


I wish I could find a photo of the 767-323ER coach cabin circa 1999 - to confirm that I am not crazy about remembering seeing velcroed-on headrests akin to those that the cabin redesign would have, on the seats (and remembering mine falling off several times - the velcro was crap.


Were the headrests like this?

 
travelsonic
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines 767 Cabins Since Delivery

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:40 am

DL_Mech wrote:
travelsonic wrote:


I wish I could find a photo of the 767-323ER coach cabin circa 1999 - to confirm that I am not crazy about remembering seeing velcroed-on headrests akin to those that the cabin redesign would have, on the seats (and remembering mine falling off several times - the velcro was crap.


Were the headrests like this?


No, they were similar in appearance to the headrest in the 2000s era cabin design, but weren't part of the seat - had velcro straps, and could be adjusted - but had a tendency to fall off (which frustrated me a few times during the flight, I remember) - the seat itself was still the older Weber seat, with the beige bars/pinstripes on blue cloth pattern. I do find it interesting though that AA's 727s had two versions of that seat pattern - with the winged headrests, and that version where the headrest part is part of the seat, not (it looks at least) adjustable.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 16 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos