CityRail
Topic Author

Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:48 pm

No-deal Brexit is becoming more and more likely, and that would mean major negative implications to to the already weak European aviation industry.
According to the current trend, no-deal Brexit is scheduled to happen on 12 April, and the week after is going to be Easter and Labour Day public holiday period until 6 May.
During those 3 week period, we will see a surge of tourists within UK/EU, also from China/Japan early May.
I am very concerned with the queues and delays at UK/EU border, particularly for those travelling on Premium Economy class or lower, where there's no priority immigration for them.
Therefore, may I ask, should no-deal Brexit happen, what should passengers do? And for those planning to travel during the holidays, would you recommend them to purchase I/Z Class tickets at a minimum to avoid delays at the border?
Thank you.

MalevTU134

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Sorry, but as much as I would loathe to see any Brexit happen, and most of all a hard Brexit, this is pure sensationalism. Nothing will change on the border. The UK (and Ireland) was never part of the Schengen zone, so there were always passport controls flying to/from the rest of the EU to/from the UK. And nobody is talking about needing visas for UK passport holders to travel to the EU or vice versa. So, in essence, nothing will change for passengers.

seansasLCY

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:03 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Sorry, but as much as I would loathe to see any Brexit happen, and most of all a hard Brexit, this is pure sensationalism. Nothing will change on the border. The UK (and Ireland) was never part of the Schengen zone, so there were always passport controls flying to/from the rest of the EU to/from the UK. And nobody is talking about needing visas for UK passport holders to travel to the EU or vice versa. So, in essence, nothing will change for passengers.

Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.

Armodeen

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Well, my family and I are returning to the UK from the EU on April 13th, so I shall let you know how it goes lol.

MalevTU134

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.

Not Australians??

seansasLCY

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:13 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Not Australians??

Yes sorry. Australians too!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/epas ... -countries
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/epas ... outh-korea

sw733

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Armodeen wrote:
Well, my family and I are returning to the UK from the EU on April 13th, so I shall let you know how it goes lol.

Yes, I too am set to fly from EU to UK on April 13th (I believe Rotterdam to London City but still trying to sort that out exactly), should be interesting to be in the UK though I don't expect any big difference at the border with my US passport.

hvusslax

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Schengen ports of entry and exit could see longer waiting times for British nationals as they will no longer be eligible for e-gates or other priority lanes for EU/EEA/CH citizens.

DECHFR

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:05 pm

my understand is that border control will not change much but the aviation agreements between countries will freeze in place. There is an agreement that extends 12 months from Brexit, so flights will continue in an out of the UK. The article I read states the extension comes with some cavets, if an airline reduces (cannot be increased) frequency to a city or stops a route, this cannot be changed backed until a long term agreement is signed. The BBC article focused on BA, but I assumed this would affect other European airlines too, indicating it would make their flight planning within the EU more difficult in the next 12 months.

FlapsOne

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

The planes will be grounded. We will have 25 mile queues as Dover. We won't have clean drinking water. Super gonorrhoea and surging cancer rates. Increased terrorism, war in Europe. Companies will shut down en mass. Unemployment will surge. House prices will crash. Martial law. Surging teen pregnancy rates. Even our beloved sandwiches face uncertain times! Nobody will be there to make our coffees in Costa or pick fruit. Food and drug shortages.

With all this in mind I'm amazed anyone would come here anyway!
Last edited by FlapsOne on Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atcsundevil

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Just a reminder that political comments belong in the Non Aviation Forum. Let's stick to the aviation aspect of this discussion here.

✈️ atcsundevil

FlapsOne

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:22 pm

hvusslax wrote:
Schengen ports of entry and exit could see longer waiting times for British nationals as they will no longer be eligible for e-gates or other priority lanes for EU/EEA/CH citizens.

Takes me less time to get into Australia than it does the EU on many occasions.

seansasLCY

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:53 pm

hvusslax wrote:

Switzerland has said that UK citizens will continue to be able to use the same lanes as they do now.

WAC

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:16 pm

seansasLCY wrote:

This has nothing to do with Brexit. AMS has this and is even in the Schengen zone. It s purely technology upgrades.

XAM2175

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 am

FlapsOne wrote:
Takes me less time to get into Australia than it does the EU on many occasions.

Opposite for me as an Australian citizen with UK residence - takes me more time to enter the UK then it does the Schengen area :roll:

Seabear

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Be sure to pack an extra suitcase full of barter goods - nylons, blue jeans, chocolate bars, toilet paper - as shortages, mob violence, and looting will be rampant.

LTU932

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 pm

WAC wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

This has nothing to do with Brexit. AMS has this and is even in the Schengen zone. It s purely technology upgrades.
Exactly what I wanted to say, because I saw those e-gates in AMS when I left for Panama back then. Membership in the European Union is not a limiting factor to open e-gates for non-EU citizens. If anything, e-gates should slowly be opened to everyone, albeit segregated by All Passports and EU/EEA/CH in the Union, especially if we're all to enforce that other countries that don't have the biometric passports, start issuing them or else face the consequences (e.g. longer processing times at passport control, delays in issuing visas, etc.).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

seansasLCY

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm

WAC wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

I wasn't say it did. Its a coincidence that the timing worked out as such. I'm just saying it will be easier to those countries.

Vasu

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Nobody in the UK knows what “Brexit” means... a week after the supposed leave date.

My bet: in ten years’ time, A.net will still be asking what will happen to UK air travel after Brexit :lol: