CityRail
Topic Author
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 am

Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:48 pm

No-deal Brexit is becoming more and more likely, and that would mean major negative implications to to the already weak European aviation industry.
According to the current trend, no-deal Brexit is scheduled to happen on 12 April, and the week after is going to be Easter and Labour Day public holiday period until 6 May.
During those 3 week period, we will see a surge of tourists within UK/EU, also from China/Japan early May.
I am very concerned with the queues and delays at UK/EU border, particularly for those travelling on Premium Economy class or lower, where there's no priority immigration for them.
Therefore, may I ask, should no-deal Brexit happen, what should passengers do? And for those planning to travel during the holidays, would you recommend them to purchase I/Z Class tickets at a minimum to avoid delays at the border?
Thank you.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2091
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Sorry, but as much as I would loathe to see any Brexit happen, and most of all a hard Brexit, this is pure sensationalism. Nothing will change on the border. The UK (and Ireland) was never part of the Schengen zone, so there were always passport controls flying to/from the rest of the EU to/from the UK. And nobody is talking about needing visas for UK passport holders to travel to the EU or vice versa. So, in essence, nothing will change for passengers.
 
seansasLCY
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:03 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
Sorry, but as much as I would loathe to see any Brexit happen, and most of all a hard Brexit, this is pure sensationalism. Nothing will change on the border. The UK (and Ireland) was never part of the Schengen zone, so there were always passport controls flying to/from the rest of the EU to/from the UK. And nobody is talking about needing visas for UK passport holders to travel to the EU or vice versa. So, in essence, nothing will change for passengers.


Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Well, my family and I are returning to the UK from the EU on April 13th, so I shall let you know how it goes lol.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2091
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Sorry, but as much as I would loathe to see any Brexit happen, and most of all a hard Brexit, this is pure sensationalism. Nothing will change on the border. The UK (and Ireland) was never part of the Schengen zone, so there were always passport controls flying to/from the rest of the EU to/from the UK. And nobody is talking about needing visas for UK passport holders to travel to the EU or vice versa. So, in essence, nothing will change for passengers.


Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.

Not Australians??
 
seansasLCY
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:13 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Sorry, but as much as I would loathe to see any Brexit happen, and most of all a hard Brexit, this is pure sensationalism. Nothing will change on the border. The UK (and Ireland) was never part of the Schengen zone, so there were always passport controls flying to/from the rest of the EU to/from the UK. And nobody is talking about needing visas for UK passport holders to travel to the EU or vice versa. So, in essence, nothing will change for passengers.


Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.

Not Australians??


Yes sorry. Australians too!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/epas ... -countries
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/epas ... outh-korea
 
sw733
Posts: 5849
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Armodeen wrote:
Well, my family and I are returning to the UK from the EU on April 13th, so I shall let you know how it goes lol.


Yes, I too am set to fly from EU to UK on April 13th (I believe Rotterdam to London City but still trying to sort that out exactly), should be interesting to be in the UK though I don't expect any big difference at the border with my US passport.
 
User avatar
hvusslax
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Schengen ports of entry and exit could see longer waiting times for British nationals as they will no longer be eligible for e-gates or other priority lanes for EU/EEA/CH citizens.
 
DECHFR
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:05 pm

my understand is that border control will not change much but the aviation agreements between countries will freeze in place. There is an agreement that extends 12 months from Brexit, so flights will continue in an out of the UK. The article I read states the extension comes with some cavets, if an airline reduces (cannot be increased) frequency to a city or stops a route, this cannot be changed backed until a long term agreement is signed. The BBC article focused on BA, but I assumed this would affect other European airlines too, indicating it would make their flight planning within the EU more difficult in the next 12 months.
 
FlapsOne
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

The planes will be grounded. We will have 25 mile queues as Dover. We won't have clean drinking water. Super gonorrhoea and surging cancer rates. Increased terrorism, war in Europe. Companies will shut down en mass. Unemployment will surge. House prices will crash. Martial law. Surging teen pregnancy rates. Even our beloved sandwiches face uncertain times! Nobody will be there to make our coffees in Costa or pick fruit. Food and drug shortages.

With all this in mind I'm amazed anyone would come here anyway!
Last edited by FlapsOne on Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3496
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Just a reminder that political comments belong in the Non Aviation Forum. Let's stick to the aviation aspect of this discussion here.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
FlapsOne
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:22 pm

hvusslax wrote:
Schengen ports of entry and exit could see longer waiting times for British nationals as they will no longer be eligible for e-gates or other priority lanes for EU/EEA/CH citizens.


Takes me less time to get into Australia than it does the EU on many occasions.
 
seansasLCY
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:53 pm

hvusslax wrote:
Schengen ports of entry and exit could see longer waiting times for British nationals as they will no longer be eligible for e-gates or other priority lanes for EU/EEA/CH citizens.


Switzerland has said that UK citizens will continue to be able to use the same lanes as they do now.
 
WAC
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:31 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:16 pm

seansasLCY wrote:

Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.


This has nothing to do with Brexit. AMS has this and is even in the Schengen zone. It s purely technology upgrades.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 am

FlapsOne wrote:
Takes me less time to get into Australia than it does the EU on many occasions.


Opposite for me as an Australian citizen with UK residence - takes me more time to enter the UK then it does the Schengen area :roll:
 
User avatar
Seabear
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Be sure to pack an extra suitcase full of barter goods - nylons, blue jeans, chocolate bars, toilet paper - as shortages, mob violence, and looting will be rampant.
 
User avatar
LTU932
Posts: 13630
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:09 pm

WAC wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.


This has nothing to do with Brexit. AMS has this and is even in the Schengen zone. It s purely technology upgrades.
Exactly what I wanted to say, because I saw those e-gates in AMS when I left for Panama back then. Membership in the European Union is not a limiting factor to open e-gates for non-EU citizens. If anything, e-gates should slowly be opened to everyone, albeit segregated by All Passports and EU/EEA/CH in the Union, especially if we're all to enforce that other countries that don't have the biometric passports, start issuing them or else face the consequences (e.g. longer processing times at passport control, delays in issuing visas, etc.).
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208
 
seansasLCY
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm

WAC wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Exactly right. Nothing will change. If anything it will become easier. The UK will shortly allow US, Canadian, NZ, Japanese, Singaporean and South Korean nationals to use the E-Gates along with UK and EU citizens.


This has nothing to do with Brexit. AMS has this and is even in the Schengen zone. It s purely technology upgrades.


I wasn't say it did. Its a coincidence that the timing worked out as such. I'm just saying it will be easier to those countries.
 
User avatar
Vasu
Posts: 3103
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:34 am

Re: Should do-deal Brexit happens on 12 April, what should passengers do?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Nobody in the UK knows what “Brexit” means... a week after the supposed leave date.

My bet: in ten years’ time, A.net will still be asking what will happen to UK air travel after Brexit :lol:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos